ADVERTISEMENT

With Gleeson at the helm of the offense will they put up big numbers?

What's scary about this post is if you went back 4 years and replace GS with CA it would be similar to posts on here.

Now Gleeson is easy more accomplished than DM - so I'm more hopeful but this year's offense could go either way.
Not an attack but are you comparing Ash to Schiano? There is an immense difference Between Ash and Schiano... forget about Sean Gleason in the equation . Nothing scary ... just fact.

Need the horses first . Tough to be high powered with no WR s , TE or great OL. We do have some pieces and I think we will get some surprises. Having said that the transfer from Wisconsin will play a big role and so will the RB unit.

This.
The Wisconsin transfer might replace the splash that Blackshear made. Blackshear was the second leading receiver for all of last season after only playing 4 games. And was the leading receiver (and rusher) in 2018.
Hope he ( Cruikshank ) gets the waiver to play this season.

This.
The Wisconsin transfer might replace the splash that Blackshear made. Blackshear was the second leading receiver for all of last season after only playing 4 games. And was the leading receiver (and rusher) in 2018.
Don’t see why Cruikshank shouldn’t since he is from this area and the need to be near home.

Reactions: RUbacker
Not an attack but are you comparing Ash to Schiano? There is an immense difference Between Ash and Schiano... forget about Sean Gleason in the equation . Nothing scary ... just fact.

In hindsight having seen both be HC of course not. I was glad Ash was fired, and Schiano was hired. I'm excited for our future, but I'm a bit worried about flipping our offense again with current players recruited for a different style. Especially with practice limited with no spring and questionable summer practice.

My point was if you replace that original quote names and date it 4 years ago it would all be relevant. Ash was DC of a national championship big ten team and bringing a high powered spread offense. DM even showed great QB numbers at a smaller school (JMU).

In hindsight having seen both be HC of course not. I was glad Ash was fired, and Schiano was hired. I'm excited for our future, but I'm a bit worried about flipping our offense again with current players recruited for a different style. Especially with practice limited with no spring and questionable summer practice.

My point was if you replace that original quote names and date it 4 years ago it would all be relevant. Ash was DC of a national championship big ten team and bringing a high powered spread offense. DM even showed great QB numbers at a smaller school (JMU).

Your concern is not misplaced. There is a lack of quality and depth on the OL so we need to see them perform before we can believe anything written about the new offense.

Many mention the necessity of an improved OL, and I agree.

But the major determinant for success will be improved QB play.

Many mention the necessity of an improved OL, and I agree.

But the major determinant for success will be improved QB play.

They are intertwined and also applies to the run game. If your OL maintains their blocks then teams will be leery of putting 8-9 defenders in the box because they'll be gouged by chunk plays.

This.
Blackshear quit as captain , that is just not part of my past career in the game and I can’t understand it. The new guy will impress and waiver is good.

The O will take time. Good thing is Gleason understands Greg is building D first. Many O coordinators would not accept the job if the O was not the primary priority. Shows you Gleeson is all in !

Agree. And it will pay minor dividends. I’d expect a 10%+ improvement in rushing yardage season-over-season. Depending on QB play, I’d expect a 2-5% improvement in passing yardage. But you can’t make chicken salad out of...well you fill in the rest.

I would hope we can increase our passing yards at least 10% over the 139 per game last year.

This.

Wait, is Cruikshank coming as a RB too?
I thought he was a Kick Returner and maybe WR depth.

His career stats at Wisconsin:
4 catches 40 yards
18 rushes 175 yards

I would assume most of RB work will be Pacheco/Adams/Young.

Wait, is Cruikshank coming as a RB too?
I thought he was a Kick Returner and maybe WR depth.

His career stats at Wisconsin:
4 catches 40 yards
18 rushes 175 yards

I would assume most of RB work will be Pacheco/Adams/Young.

The reference was to Blackshear's work as a receiver coming out of the backfield or in the slot.

Cruickshank will be used primarily as the slot receiver on offense but will also have his number called on jet sweeps and possibly some other run type plays over the course of the season.

Reactions: NickRU714
I would hope we can increase our passing yards at least 10% over the 139 per game last year.
My concern is OL play. You can’t expect immediate, appreciable improvement. That’s why I think offensive production gains will be limited the first hear, but improve more profusely the second and third years.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
Ummm.....you should probably do a little more research into OC Sean Gleeson.

This year is going to be very interesting for many "old-school, control the clock, 3 yards and a cloud of dust" fans.

Everyone says how OC DM approach was a disaster and doomed for failure (3 and out in under a minute!)

Well, HC Schiano doubled down on it and hired someone with the same philosophy in new OC Gleeson.

https://rutgers.rivals.com/news/how...fast-tempo-offense-affect-the-offensive-line-

“We want to be fast,” he said. “That sounds like a coach platitude but to me it's a little deeper than that. We want to be a fast no huddle offense. If you can envision the best press basketball team that you guys have ever watched, that's kind of how we want to do our business. We want to snap the ball around every 15 seconds. It's kind of our timestamp for no huddle football.
Difference is one has ton of not only experience but success. Other had neither. Who you betting on

We will improve and most importantly you will be able to see it.
Our victories as fans will come in ways other than the scoreboard.
You’ll be able to turn to the guy next to you and say, “ damn, we’re gonna be good buddy”
That’s a great victory after the stuff we’ve been watching.
We play against elite defenses in an elite league.. remember that always
great post zap

I am going to read between lines of Zaps post and try to make a comparison. Many on here are all doomsday about what our offense will be. What you - doomsayers - may or may not know is coaching can make a huge difference in the outcome in any sport.
This may not be the best example but it should give you the concept.
I bowl not only in leagues but in tournaments. Friend noticed one problem in my release and made suggestion to get a wrist support to firm my wrist up at release of ball. Keeping a firm wrist will give me more revs on the ball which equates to better hitting power which equates to more strikes which equates to higher average.
Now if O line coach can notice and fix a few physical faults then better results will come. Same with DC, running backs coach etc.
I am sure Zappa can understand this from his professional playing days. Good coaching can make a player improve which equates to better execution which equates to more first downs which equates to more points which equates to more wins.
See it's simple. LOL

Reactions: NickRU714
Difference is one has ton of not only experience but success. Other had neither. Who you betting on

Has nothing to do with betting on DM vs. SG.
The point was both OC have the same philosophy.
A philosophy that many said would "never work here" after DM.

And saying SG has a ton of OC experience is a little over stating it. Certainly more than DM though.

DM: 1 year OC at JMU (1-AA)
1 year WR coach at P5

SG: 2 year OC at Princeton (1-AA)
1 year OC at P5.

The reference was to Blackshear's work as a receiver coming out of the backfield or in the slot.

Cruickshank will be used primarily as the slot receiver on offense but will also have his number called on jet sweeps and possibly some other run type plays over the course of the season.

Bingo.
In many plays Cruikshank will be used in a variety of positions. Not the typical WR player.

Has nothing to do with betting on DM vs. SG.
The point was both OC have the same philosophy.
A philosophy that many said would "never work here" after DM.

And saying SG has a ton of OC experience is a little over stating it. Certainly more than DM though.

DM: 1 year OC at JMU (1-AA)
1 year WR coach at P5

SG: 2 year OC at Princeton (1-AA)
1 year OC at P5.
Barely more than Mehringer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT