ADVERTISEMENT

With Gleeson at the helm of the offense will they put up big numbers?

BROTHERSKINNY

Heisman Winner
Oct 21, 2010
Gleesons offense is supposed to be high powered do you think it will put up huge numbers? Running, passing or both?

with no spring and probably a limited preseason.. it is going to be *rough* unless Gleeson has some magical app to teach and train up al the players in his system.

There was someone I saw interviewed about his success as a QB coach who used some sort of video system at the player's eye level to teach coverage reads and make them quicker and quicker.. we'd need something like that.

Why you don’t think it has? Also Gleeson is known to be able to utilize the talent he has on the shelf.
Agree. And it will pay minor dividends. I’d expect a 10%+ improvement in rushing yardage season-over-season. Depending on QB play, I’d expect a 2-5% improvement in passing yardage. But you can’t make chicken salad out of...well you fill in the rest.

We averages just less than 7 points a game against Big 10 competition last year. We need about a 400% increase in points in order to win some games next year.
And we still don't have a real Big 10 line yet.

Agree. And it will pay minor dividends. I’d expect a 10%+ improvement in rushing yardage season-over-season. Depending on QB play, I’d expect a 2-5% improvement in passing yardage. But you can’t make chicken salad out of...well you fill in the rest.

There are players on the roster now who possibly are capable of assuming the reigns. I think we see much more improvement in passing yards. The bar was set pretty low last year.

As usual, I am cautiously optimistic about our chances of improvement. It would be nice not to be disappointed again.

Why you don’t think it has? Also Gleeson is known to be able to utilize the talent he has on the shelf.

I think (hope) it has. But it has to come a Loooong way. It's just the first year of Schiano Redux.

I think (hope) it has. But it has to come a Loooong way. It's just the first year of Schiano Redux.
agree.. I don't see Schiano2.0 going the route of Schiano1.0 and not caring about the scoreboard and instead just working the process and coaching players up in his system. That is, in Schiano's early years, he could have used completely different tactics to NOT lose 80-7 to WVU, he could have just worked the clock.. and loses to Buffalo, UNH, Nova.. he had superior athletes to some of those.. he could have just let them out-athlete the guys across from them.. but he coached them to learn a system where they could out-execute the guys across from them.. who would be better athletes.

I think this time around he is willing to do whatever it takes for Ws. Just picking his OC he showed us he is not too conservative any longer.

Schiano slowed down games in the early years when we were thin at the lines. I wouldn't expect him to make the same mistakes the Ash/Mehringer made.

I would love to see this offense average 22-24 points per game... now that is not high powered but it would give the D a chance to rest... I feel confident we will see a much better defense overall. and win a few close ones... let’s just get back on the field.

The expectations are for a more hurried up offense and the attempting to move the ball downfield with bigger chunk plays

Both desires require lots of practice in order to run the offense efficiently

And this year practice may be limited to less than normal, with a new staff quickly trying to install new things

Based on that I can see the offense struggling again for another year. Hope to be wrong, but it will take a hell of a coaching job to make us significantly better on the offensive end

Reactions: RU_DIO
Schiano slowed down games in the early years when we were thin at the lines. I wouldn't expect him to make the same mistakes the Ash/Mehringer made.

Ummm.....you should probably do a little more research into OC Sean Gleeson.

This year is going to be very interesting for many "old-school, control the clock, 3 yards and a cloud of dust" fans.

Everyone says how OC DM approach was a disaster and doomed for failure (3 and out in under a minute!)

Well, HC Schiano doubled down on it and hired someone with the same philosophy in new OC Gleeson.

https://rutgers.rivals.com/news/how...fast-tempo-offense-affect-the-offensive-line-

“We want to be fast,” he said. “That sounds like a coach platitude but to me it's a little deeper than that. We want to be a fast no huddle offense. If you can envision the best press basketball team that you guys have ever watched, that's kind of how we want to do our business. We want to snap the ball around every 15 seconds. It's kind of our timestamp for no huddle football.

This year is going to be very interesting for many "old-school, control the clock, 3 yards and a cloud of dust" fans.

Everyone says how OC DM approach was a disaster and doomed for failure (3 and out in under a minute!)

Well, HC Schiano doubled down on it and hired someone with the same philosophy in new OC Gleeson.

https://rutgers.rivals.com/news/how...fast-tempo-offense-affect-the-offensive-line-

“We want to be fast,” he said. “That sounds like a coach platitude but to me it's a little deeper than that. We want to be a fast no huddle offense. If you can envision the best press basketball team that you guys have ever watched, that's kind of how we want to do our business. We want to snap the ball around every 15 seconds. It's kind of our timestamp for no huddle football.
With our personnel on offense, color me nervous. All I've heard about is plays run in under 15 secs and platooning the offensive line to keep them fresh. Well last year's offense looked like they had trouble tying their shoe laces. It's going to be a lot of that same personnel on O with some new pieces sprinkled in.

I don’t believe Greg Schiano will purposely try to slow the offense unless it is beneficial. After all the hype of securing Sean Gleason as O.C. and , attempting to show the State Of Rutgers high school players we will spread the field from sideline to sideline , it would be counter productive. The way to learn that type of scheme is to do it over and over. It will be tough this year but as we progress and we get those players we need it will become very interesting. Players want to play fast. Players want to be tough.That is what Greg’s plan is designed for. This is a guy with plenty of experience , training and an understanding what is needed to be not only competitive but win in the B1G.

Doubtful unless the OL magically gets way better.
Doubtful unless the OL magically gets way better.
Part of the problem with the Oline during the Ash years was we had 2-3 players who weren’t bad ...the others never could progress, were injured or just never belonged period. Clark was over hyped...Seymour for all his physical attributes was a revolving gate at RT ...They needed to move him inside and they didn’t ...I never liked our O line coach ... nice guy but for some reason he just could not find any type of consistency with his group. By year 2 we should see success on the O line coach Aurich is very good.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
The way to learn that type of scheme is to do it over and over. It will be tough this year but as we progress and we get those players we need it will become very interesting.

Sadly this was lost on a majority of the people on this board and Coach Ash himself.

Everyone expected Rutgers to instantly flip a switch and have a high powered scoring offense in Year 1.
This was never going to happen - as you said it takes time.

But everyone said (and still say) “Spread up tempo offense doesn’t work. Look at 2016!! Bring back the pro-style!”

Will be interesting to see if everyone is again calling for a new offensive system in 2021 if the up-tempo offense struggles in 2020.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
We have Gleeson and Aurich. They worked at Princeton. Together and put up incredible numbers on O. Seriously I have not been this excited for RU FOOTBALL for a long time!
Did they bring a magic wand? If not, it’s going to take time to improve the personnel that only months ago and for years was just about the worst offense in college football.

Did they bring a magic wand? If not, it’s going to take time to improve the personnel that only months ago and for years was just about the worst offense in college football.
Of it will take a season to install the new system and iron out the kinks. It’s where we are headed that’s exciting and watching the process unfold. We are going from mediocrity to elite level in a few short years. Sit back and enjoy a beer or two.

With our personnel on offense, color me nervous. All I've heard about is plays run in under 15 secs and platooning the offensive line to keep them fresh. Well last year's offense looked like they had trouble tying their shoe laces. It's going to be a lot of that same personnel on O with some new pieces sprinkled in.
In Greg we trust!

Reactions: czxqa
Everyone should temper their expectations until we can get a real assessment of the OL in this new offense. Quality and depth is lacking there right now. It's not going to magically change overnight regardless of what these puff pieces on the new offense tell you.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
The world might be a better place when non athletes call out real athletes for their “lack of talent.”

if you can’t be nice now with all this country is going through you will never be a nice person and are a part of the problem. Being a jerk and making inflammatory comments leads to back and forth arguments and tensions build. Let’s just root for our guys to win. Stop with the cowardice bulletin board assassinations of players, coaches, AD, and others fans.

it’s time for change. Let’s do our part.

. . . We are going from mediocrity to elite level in a few short years. Sit back and enjoy a beer or two.

If you believe what you saw on offense the last few years was "mediocre," I'd be interested to know what you think terrible is. We're going to get a lot better, but it'll take time, allowing us to have more than a beer or two on the way.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
The world might be a better place when non athletes call out real athletes for their “lack of talent.”

if you can’t be nice now with all this country is going through you will never be a nice person and are a part of the problem. Being a jerk and making inflammatory comments leads to back and forth arguments and tensions build. Let’s just root for our guys to win. Stop with the cowardice bulletin board assassinations of players, coaches, AD, and others fans.

Every single post was talking about football till you

giphy.gif

I come to this board for entertainment and as an escape for just a few brief moments from the world's chaotic problems. Yet now you want to censor that escape and make it about those same exact problems. Fact is this is a 2-10 football program with 10 blowout loses till it's not. Not the fault of the new coaches but that's what they inherited.

WTF? Are you being sarcastic?

Reactions: jreinsdorf

I'm aware that Gleeson likes tempo and no huddle. I'm also aware that Gleeson prides himself on being adaptable and not formulaic. And also that Schiano isn't dumb and understands that having the offense run 3 plays in 20 seconds and then punt kills the defense and leads to blowouts. The offense doesn't happen in a vacuum. What they do has to be part of an overall game plan. I would be shocked and disappointed if GS and Gleeson didn't slow the offense down when needed to fit a bigger game plan.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
We will improve and most importantly you will be able to see it.
Our victories as fans will come in ways other than the scoreboard.
You’ll be able to turn to the guy next to you and say, “ damn, we’re gonna be good buddy”
That’s a great victory after the stuff we’ve been watching.
We play against elite defenses in an elite league.. remember that always

I expect us to be similar to what we saw 2004 before the accident... next year like 2005... 2022 we get to 8-9 ... Schiano is going to get players who will play at the next level... not 2 or 3 but 7 or 8 per class ... he once said when we have 7-8 per class we will win championships... I think our 2005-06-07 classes proved that point.

I don’t believe Greg Schiano will purposely try to slow the offense unless it is beneficial. After all the hype of securing Sean Gleason as O.C. and , attempting to show the State Of Rutgers high school players we will spread the field from sideline to sideline , it would be counter productive. The way to learn that type of scheme is to do it over and over. It will be tough this year but as we progress and we get those players we need it will become very interesting. Players want to play fast. Players want to be tough.That is what Greg’s plan is designed for. This is a guy with plenty of experience , training and an understanding what is needed to be not only competitive but win in the B1G.

What's scary about this post is if you went back 4 years and replace GS with CA it would be similar to posts on here.

Now Gleeson is easy more accomplished than DM - so I'm more hopeful but this year's offense could go either way.

Reactions: NickRU714
Gleesons offense is supposed to be high powered do you think it will put up huge numbers? Running, passing or both?
Need the horses first . Tough to be high powered with no WR s , TE or great OL. We do have some pieces and I think we will get some surprises. Having said that the transfer from Wisconsin will play a big role and so will the RB unit.

What's scary about this post is if you went back 4 years and replace GS with CA it would be similar to posts on here.

Now Gleeson is easy more accomplished than DM - so I'm more hopeful but this year's offense could go either way.

The scary thing is that supposed “educated” football fans around here didn’t realize this in 2016 - including Ash himself.

Completely changing the offensive approach takes time.
Hopefully Schiano isn’t as foolish and stays the course.

As I’ve said before, Ash should have been fired the moment he tried to hire OC Kill and doom any sort of offensive improvement.

The offense isn’t going to be great in 2020.
At best it will probably be bad.
But that’s fine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT