ADVERTISEMENT

women's Soccer-- Observations

rudad02

All American
Nov 7, 2010
West Virginia game-- Some factors that worked against us--1) the refs were in the bag for WV. There were several phantom call against us, so bad that our girls were just throwing their hands up in disbelief & frustration. Most called as we were moving forward, canceling any opportunity for attack. There were also 2 offside calls against us that were clearly bogus, once again nullifying any chance to score. 2) Kenie Wright, IMO our best field player, & a dangerous offensive weapon coming up the wing from her outside back position was unable to play there & clearly hobbled by her knee (Tierney Wiltshire played very well in that spot). And Brittany LaPlant a goal scorer, who had been our most dangerous striker over the last several games, was clearly hobbled by chronically sore shins. You could see when she came out with about 20 min left in the first half that they were really hurting. She played limited minutes in the 2nd half & didn't see the field in either overtime.
I'm not saying that we would have won if the above factors were not at play, but it would have greatly enhanced our chances if they were not.
Some posted that we didn't appear to be in shape. I don't believe that to be the case. When you are on defense for prolonged periods & oftentimes chasing the ball it takes an enormous amount out of you & wears you down. Thankfully Mike has a deep bench that he trusts.

West Virginia in addition to being ranked no.7, played for the national championship in the final game last year. They outplayed USC, but lost 1-0. This year they returned 9 starters from last years squad.

General observations--RU is one of the top tier programs in the country, inches away from being one of the few elites.

A few areas to work on & there are probably others--1) too often Amirah tries to do too much with the ball at her feet & tries to beat multiple defenders when she has a team mate open in space. Colby, who is excellent & who has played wonderful team ball all year, was guilty of trying to do too much in this manner as well vs. WV. 2) we are sometimes careless & sloppy with our passing, not moving the ball quickly & accurately; 3) Amanda's passes out of the back are all to often simply low percentage & turned back on us. She can absolutely correct this; 4) our goalies clears for the last few years are too often simply out of bounds & those into the playing field are turned on us. Would like to see more easy clears to our backs to move the ball up field. I never criticize individual players. Amirah & Amanda are both terrific soccer players & will be for years to come for RU, but this is done with the best of constructive intentions. Clearly all the girls can improve their games in some fashion, but the 2 examples cited have stood out to me this year. If I am wrong, I apologize to both ladies.

Mike ONeil, Meg Ryan, Lubos Ancin & Trish DiPaolo, in addition to being outstanding coaches, are truly outstanding people. They have recruited not only excellent soccer players but excellent young ladies as well. Their players & teams are always team oriented. This program & everything about it is a great credit to Rutgers University.

Last edited:
West Virginia game-- Some factors that worked against us--1) the refs were in the bag for WV. There were several phantom call against us, so bad that our girls were just throwing their hands up in disbelief & frustration. Most called as we were moving forward, canceling any opportunity for attack. There were also 2 offside calls against us that were clearly bogus, once again nullifying any chance to score. 2) Kenie Wright, IMO our best field player, & a dangerous offensive weapon coming up the wing from her outside back position was unable to play there & clearly hobbled by her knee (Tierney Wiltshire played very well in that spot). And Brittany LaPlant a goal scorer,who had been our most dangerous striker over the last several games, was clearly hobbled by chronically sore shins. You could see when she came out with about 20 min left in the first half that they were really hurting. She played limited minutes in the 2nd half & didn't see the field in either overtime.
I'm not saying that we would have won if the above factors were not at play, but it would have greatly enhanced our chances if they were not.
Some posted that we didn't appear to be in shape. I don't believe that to be the case. When you are on defense for prolonged periods & oftentimes chasing the ball it takes an enormous amount out of you & wears you down. Thankfully Mike has a deep bench that he trusts.

West Virginia in addition to being ranked no.7, played for the national championship in the final game last year. They outplayed USC, but lost 1-0. This year they returned 9 starters from last years squad.

General observations--RU is one of the top tier programs in the country, inches away from being one of the few elites.

A few areas to work on & there are probably others--1) too often Amirah tries to do too much with the ball at her feet & tries to beat multiple defenders when she has a team mate open in space. Colby, who is excellent & who has played wonderful team ball all year, was guilty of trying to do too much in this manner as well vs. WV. 2) we are sometimes careless & sloppy with our passing, not moving the ball quickly & accurately; 3)Amanda's passes out of the back are all to often simply low percentage & turned back on us. She can absolutely correct this, 3; our goalies clears for the last few years are too often simply out of bounds & those into the playing field are turned on us. Would like to see more easy clears to our backs to move the ball up field. I never criticize individual players. Amirah & Amanda are both terrific soccer players & will be for years to come for RU, but this is done with the best of constructive intentions. Clearly all the girls can improve their games in some fashion, but the 2 examples cited have stood out to me this year. If I am wrong, I apologize to both ladies.

Mike ONeil, Meg Ryan, Lubos Ancin & Trish DiPaolo, in addition to being outstanding coaches, are truly outstanding people. They have recruited not only excellent soccer players but excellent young ladies as well. Their players & teams are always team oriented. This program & everything about it is a great credit to Rutgers University.
Love your evaluation Amirah is immensely talented but she has got to develop her left foot!! Her move is to always fake left and go to her right and once the teams know that she was much easier to defend. I also agree about her missing open people.

One question for you RUdad one thing I noticed that a lot of teams when they try to get the ball to her with her speed she is the only one upfront we have no balance and no support what is your opinion on this

Thanks

Love your evaluation Amirah is immensely talented but she has got to develop her left foot!! Her move is to always fake left and go to her right and once the teams know that she was much easier to defend. I also agree about her missing open people.

One question for you RUdad one thing I noticed that a lot of teams when they try to get the ball to her with her speed she is the only one upfront we have no balance and no support what is your opinion on this

Thanks
rich, not exactly sure, but know what you mean. I know Mike wants his forwards to come back hard on defense. Probably not able to get back into the attacking third when Amirah is played a long ball. Although Amirah comes back on D as well. Not the greatest of X's & O's guy. Probably ho26, & maybe others, can better speak to this.

Last edited:
Painful to watch but i lived this with my daughter in her years.
amirah, when she turns it up field is quite simply much, much faster than the forward on the other side. So you take your chance on the one on two. I see rud2 all the time t games but i am not sure of other posters here. Amirah has , to my count, been pulled down in the box 6 times this year without a penalty shot. Some refs just see her size and discount any foul as she has that size /speed afvantage.

Alaysia also, but not as fast, LaPlant also not as fast but what we have here is all three , for ten years or so, were the go to girl for their team .All balls went to them and passing is not yet an acquired taste. Its not, to me, they think they are above the team but rather they have done just this for thosev ten years and 500-600 games

Not much Amirah can do . Should she wait 40 yards out for her team to catch up? i think she needs to continue as she does. But one change I want her setting up, and fighting for position, at the side of thedefender When/ if she gets a thru ball she is solidly behind the ball and in ful stride. Now receive, defender kicking at your feet, 3 small touches to turn and she lose one of two balls.

What happens next year. i'ncoming Mya Daniels can, maybe , tun at Amirahs speed and finish. Emily Harrigan, our All American this year has been playing up 2 ages most of her life including a win , and second in the national championships. She will be, to my memories, is the most equipped for immediate success , without freshmen worries.

Our biggest problem and i thank god its Mike not me is the amount of strikers here next year. We lose Colby and add 3. Aolani is back from an injury and i think you have ten. Then the2019 has two strikers and you cannot comeclose to playing all.

Hard toargue with success but my theory of coaching has always been to play to your strengths or cover your weaknesses.
We play three mids out of Mikes personal choice and his history with it kids conform to it

At midfieldi think Alexa Ferreira will become a big star and runs ok but not as an outside mid in a three girl set. If you have 4 mids she would slide inside. Nicole Whitley made all big 10 frs=eshmen on visions, assists, and footwork but is not fast enough to play outside in a three girl set. I thinkshe needs to slide inside also. Ciara Terabasso has been hurt but is back on the outside, with Gabby. Incomers Hayley Baer and Coley Binkley had very good high school careers and maybe a forward or two slides back. With her track speed i think Carina Hendley might be the one

Taylor Aylmer is more about defense than offense and Adora Moneme , has no offensive skills. So in our present state we are outrun every game. Then when the switch is hit to turn to offense two of the three girls have very few offensive skills and neither is a scoring threat no matter how close she gets.

If it stays as is Nicole needs to lose her job to an incoming freshmen, them play more inside taking minutes from Moneme and Aylmer

Off the top of my head thats my response for my friend rudad02 I hope you gree... somewhat at least

Reactions: RUinSeattle
Painful to watch but i lived this with my daughter in her years.
amirah, when she turns it up field is quite simply much, much faster than the forward on the other side. So you take your chance on the one on two. I see rud2 all the time t games but i am not sure of other posters here. Amirah has , to my count, been pulled down in the box 6 times this year without a penalty shot. Some refs just see her size and discount any foul as she has that size /speed afvantage.

Alaysia also, but not as fast, LaPlant also not as fast but what we have here is all three , for ten years or so, were the go to girl for their team .All balls went to them and passing is not yet an acquired taste. Its not, to me, they think they are above the team but rather they have done just this for thosev ten years and 500-600 games

Not much Amirah can do . Should she wait 40 yards out for her team to catch up? i think she needs to continue as she does. But one change I want her setting up, and fighting for position, at the side of thedefender When/ if she gets a thru ball she is solidly behind the ball and in ful stride. Now receive, defender kicking at your feet, 3 small touches to turn and she lose one of two balls.

What happens next year. i'ncoming Mya Daniels can, maybe , tun at Amirahs speed and finish. Emily Harrigan, our All American this year has been playing up 2 ages most of her life including a win , and second in the national championships. She will be, to my memories, is the most equipped for immediate success , without freshmen worries.

Our biggest problem and i thank god its Mike not me is the amount of strikers here next year. We lose Colby and add 3. Aolani is back from an injury and i think you have ten. Then the2019 has two strikers and you cannot comeclose to playing all.

Hard toargue with success but my theory of coaching has always been to play to your strengths or cover your weaknesses.
We play three mids out of Mikes personal choice and his history with it kids conform to it

At midfieldi think Alexa Ferreira will become a big star and runs ok but not as an outside mid in a three girl set. If you have 4 mids she would slide inside. Nicole Whitley made all big 10 frs=eshmen on visions, assists, and footwork but is not fast enough to play outside in a three girl set. I thinkshe needs to slide inside also. Ciara Terabasso has been hurt but is back on the outside, with Gabby. Incomers Hayley Baer and Coley Binkley had very good high school careers and maybe a forward or two slides back. With her track speed i think Carina Hendley might be the one

Taylor Aylmer is more about defense than offense and Adora Moneme , has no offensive skills. So in our present state we are outrun every game. Then when the switch is hit to turn to offense two of the three girls have very few offensive skills and neither is a scoring threat no matter how close she gets.

If it stays as is Nicole needs to lose her job to an incoming freshmen, them play more inside taking minutes from Moneme and Aylmer

Off the top of my head thats my response for my friend rudad02 I hope you gree... somewhat at least
ho26, many thanks for your detailed perspective. See what you're saying and by & large agree.

rich, I think the simple explanation as to why Amirah is often alone on the attack is that the other two forwards come back further on defense. Colby is often on D in our defensive third as is Brittany. Colby didn't do this her first year, but really bought into what Mike wanted in her last two. It was also new for Brittany, but she really bought into it in the last several games. Amirah plays hard D also but I don't think that she generally comes as far back. Could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Great job fellas!

DAD - the 2 offsides calls, which I noted during the game thread, were 2 of the worst calls 've ever seen - ANY SPORT - in a lifetime filled with watching sports! The 2nd one there were literally THREE WVU defenders equal to OR beyond our attacker (maybe LaPlant) and she was absolutely stunned, hands in the air, as I was watching from my couch LOL! There were also calls on 50/50 balls that clearly should have went our way, instead of theirs, as well as some "ghost" calls against us.

Anyway, while I'm still not thrilled with Mike's choices during PK's - what's our record now n post-season pk's??? - having someone kick 5th (deciding kick after never having taken one in college previously) as such, but the bottom line: a better, more experienced team, beat a very, very good, very, very young, not-as-experienced, side. Where you see it most - as I've said and you mention as well (in your own words) - is moving the ball in the opponent's 3rd and, hopefully, that changes starting next season!

ho26, while I agree with most of what you said, I'm not so sure that Amirah is that much faster than Brittany or Alaysia if at all. See my post above to rich. Be that as it may, glad to see your take on Emily Harrigan. It is in sync with what I have read on her. She looks like a real blue chipper. Also would like to see more speed at attacking mid. As you said, perhaps one or two forwards will drop back there. Hendley does have excellent speed. Would like to see more attack & goals out of our middies. Don't know if Mike's system will lend itself to it. I agree that Alexa Ferriera doesn't have top end speed but is very good. One thing that I think she needs to change is her tendency to want to shoot from distance any time she is in or near the attacking third, often without any clear shot on goal. Needs to lay it off at the appropriate time. Agree with you that Amirah was taken down multiple times in the box without a call. Happened to Colby on multiple occasions as well.

Last edited:
ho26, while I agree with most of what you said, I'm not so sure that Amirah is that much faster than Brittany or Alaysia if at all. See my post above to rich. Be that as it may, glad to see your take on Emily Harrigan. It is in sync with what I have read on her. She looks like a real blue chipper. Also would like to see more speed at attacking mid. As you said, perhaps one or two forwards will drop back there. Hendley does have excellent speed. Would like to see more attack & goals out of our middies. Don't know if Mike's system will lend itself to it. I agree that Alexa Ferriera doesn't have top end speed but is very good. One thing that I think she needs to change is her tendency to want to shoot from distance any time she is in or near the attacking third, often without any clear shot on goal. Needs to lay it off at the appropriate time. Agree with you that Amirah was taken down multiple times in the box without a call. Happened to Colby on multiple occasions as well.
So here is my question for both of you . I️ know we made the college cup and I️ love the talent we have and are going to have going forward. Do you think O’Neill’s coaching style can get us a national championship?

So here is my question for both of you . I️ know we made the college cup and I️ love the talent we have and are going to have going forward. Do you think O’Neill’s coaching style can get us a national championship?
difficult

But if you get there its Mikes and megs recruiting

Whats hard is these were 17-18-some 19 year old girls playing 21-22 year old women. Do they learn and benefit from experience or is this pretty much it. Next year is a very good class but again 17-18 year old.

i'ts hard to catch California, texas, Florida as they play all year. Clubs have tournaments, if they want them every weekend and we play 7 months up here.
Cali is even more generous. My son was able to play football in the fall, high school soccer runs jan and feb and since they play football friday nights he can join his club team for weekend soccer toutnaments

difficult

But if you get there its Mikes and megs recruiting

Whats hard is these were 17-18-some 19 year old girls playing 21-22 year old women. Do they learn and benefit from experience or is this pretty much it. Next year is a very good class but again 17-18 year old.

i'ts hard to catch California, texas, Florida as they play all year. Clubs have tournaments, if they want them every weekend and we play 7 months up here.
Cali is even more generous. My son was able to play football in the fall, high school soccer runs jan and feb and since they play football friday nights he can join his club team for weekend soccer toutnaments
ho26's point re; 18 & 19 year olds playing 22 & 23 year olds is true. I absolutely believe that they will benefit from the experience & grow. Also agree re; Mike & Meg's recruiting. Not sure on the style question, as once again schemes, etc are really not my strong point. I hope to believe that if needed Mike would adjust. As for a national championship, that's a goal that very few top flight teams achieve. I would like us to be playing in the college cup on a fairly regular basis & have our chances at the championship. That would signify an elite program & I would be happy. To win one would be a wonderful achievement. You must realize how tough it is just to get there. It's single elimination against the best squads.

Last edited:
I dont think rutgers fans understand how special getting to the 2015 semi finalswas
Besides having a good team you must impress the seeding panel to have a shot at two games at home. Then theres weather a weak set of officials, another teamplaying off the charts . Injuries are a part also. We were walking wounded late with most of our important players nicked up
But to illustrate
Texas a and m #1 seed did not expect to lose to Notre Dame
Penn st was #1 seed but i dont think west virginia expected to go down 3-1
Usc was a #1 seed that went down in round 2
UCf was a #2 seed knocked out at home in first round
North Carolina #1 seed did not expect to lose to Princeton in round 2
Wisconsin gave everything they had against #1 national South Carolina 1-0
that could very easily have gone the other way.

So when you ask about winning all the above teams thought they would be in thefinals ..but arent
I guess everything must just need to fall totally in place even if you appear dominant

Last edited:
Nuts, one of those bogus offside calls was on Amirah. Was also surprised to see Brianna take that PK, especially since she has seen limited playing time this year. However, PK's are their own animal. I'm sure that they practice PK's. She must do very well. Also there is a psychological element present. By the same token, was surprised to see Christy Monroy take one. She is a D middie who almost never takes a shot. She stepped up & coolly put it away. Also appeared to me that against PS & WV that some of our girls telegraphed where they were going. Can't be sure. Not talking from any great experience here. However, you, I and others have noted how very very young we are. This train is movin on up.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT