ADVERTISEMENT

Work Needs to be Done - If You Think Rutgers will have More than 2 AAs Next Year

Racpack

Senior
Jan 21, 2012
Highest Ranked Returning Wrestlers by Weight Class - excluding Redshirts and Incoming Recruits

1. Lee (IOWA)
2. Suriano (RUT)
3. Lizak (MINN)
4. Rivera (NW)
5. Moisey (WVU)
6. Piccininni (OKST)
7. LaMont (UVU)
8. Hayes (UVA)

1. Gross (SDSU)
2. Micic (MICH)
3. Wilson (NCST)
4. Pletcher (OHST)
5. Brock (OKST)
6. Parker (LEH)
7. Bridges (WYO)
8. Erneste (MIZZ)

1. Diakomihalis (COR)
2. McKenna (OHST)
3. Eierman (MIZZ)
4. Lee (PSU)
5. Red (NEB)
6. Perry (EMU)
7. Carr (ILL)
8. Zacherl (CLAR)

1. Kolodzik (PRIN)
2. Leeth (MIZZ)
3. Lewallen (OKST)
4. Hayes (OHST)
5. Oliver (CMU)
6. Thomsen (UNI)
7. Degen (ISU)
8. Deakin (NW)

1. Nolf (PSU)
2. Hidlay (NCST)
3. Berger (NEB)
4. Kemerer (IOWA)
5. Pantaleo (MICH)
6. Jordan (OHST)
7. Shields (ASU)
8. Monday (UNC)

1. Joseph (PSU)
2. Wick (WISC)
3. Marsteller (LH)
4. McFadden (VT)
5. Marinelli (IOWA)
6. Chavez (COR)
7. Rogers (OKST)
8. White (NEB)

1. Valencia (ASU)
2. Hall (PSU)
3. Amine (MICH)
4. Lewis (MIZZ)
5. Kutler (LEH)
6. Smith (OKST)
7. Lujan (UNI)
8. Lydy (PUR)

1. Nickal (PSU)
2. Martin (OHST)
3. Parker (ILL)
4. Venz (NEB)
5. Zavatsky (VT)
6. Ness (UNC)
7. Dean (COR)
8. Preisch (LEH)

1. Conel (KENT)
2. Moore (OHST)
3. Holschlag (UNI)
4. Darmstadt (COR)
5. Rasheed (PSU)
6. Miklus (MIZZ)
7. Wilcke (IOWA)
8. Weiler (LEH)

--. Dhesi (ORST) (if granted 6th year)
1. Stoll (IOWA)
2. Nevills (PSU)
3. Hemida (MD)
4. White (OKST)
5. Wood (LEH)
6. Heino (CAMP)
7. Hall (ASU)
8. Miller (EDIN)

Forget 3, you are thinking WAY TOO SMALL !

Suriano, Ashnault , John Van Brill and Gravina will all AA. Maybe another suprise to make 5.

Think BIG ! The Future Is Bright!

Much better post than the OP’s ...SMDH lol!

3...so what's your point. Think big. Suriano may movevup to 133 and there could be some nice surprises among the incoming freshmen and red shirts as well as general improvement in current roster members.

I Would think Ashnault would be #2 to #4 at either 141 or 149

149 he split with Kolo in the past
141 Yanni seems on another level

Highest Ranked Returning Wrestlers by Weight Class - excluding Redshirts and Incoming Recruits

1. Lee (IOWA)
2. Suriano (RUT)
3. Lizak (MINN)
4. Rivera (NW)
5. Moisey (WVU)
6. Piccininni (OKST)
7. LaMont (UVU)
8. Hayes (UVA)

1. Gross (SDSU)
2. Micic (MICH)
3. Wilson (NCST)
4. Pletcher (OHST)
5. Brock (OKST)
6. Parker (LEH)
7. Bridges (WYO)
8. Erneste (MIZZ)

1. Diakomihalis (COR)
2. McKenna (OHST)
3. Eierman (MIZZ)
4. Lee (PSU)
5. Red (NEB)
6. Perry (EMU)
7. Carr (ILL)
8. Zacherl (CLAR)

1. Kolodzik (PRIN)
2. Leeth (MIZZ)
3. Lewallen (OKST)
4. Hayes (OHST)
5. Oliver (CMU)
6. Thomsen (UNI)
7. Degen (ISU)
8. Deakin (NW)

1. Nolf (PSU)
2. Hidlay (NCST)
3. Berger (NEB)
4. Kemerer (IOWA)
5. Pantaleo (MICH)
6. Jordan (OHST)
7. Shields (ASU)
8. Monday (UNC)

1. Joseph (PSU)
2. Wick (WISC)
3. Marsteller (LH)
4. McFadden (VT)
5. Marinelli (IOWA)
6. Chavez (COR)
7. Rogers (OKST)
8. White (NEB)

1. Valencia (ASU)
2. Hall (PSU)
3. Amine (MICH)
4. Lewis (MIZZ)
5. Kutler (LEH)
6. Smith (OKST)
7. Lujan (UNI)
8. Lydy (PUR)

1. Nickal (PSU)
2. Martin (OHST)
3. Parker (ILL)
4. Venz (NEB)
5. Zavatsky (VT)
6. Ness (UNC)
7. Dean (COR)
8. Preisch (LEH)

1. Conel (KENT)
2. Moore (OHST)
3. Holschlag (UNI)
4. Darmstadt (COR)
5. Rasheed (PSU)
6. Miklus (MIZZ)
7. Wilcke (IOWA)
8. Weiler (LEH)

--. Dhesi (ORST) (if granted 6th year)
1. Stoll (IOWA)
2. Nevills (PSU)
3. Hemida (MD)
4. White (OKST)
5. Wood (LEH)
6. Heino (CAMP)
7. Hall (ASU)
8. Miller (EDIN)
I don't think Lizak stays down another year. And, if you add Suriano to the 133 mix, that could be the toughest weight class for next year.

While you may not like the message, the OP seemed to come with a supported position as to why some maybe overly optimistic about the # of AA's next year. Debate him on merits rather than viewing him as spoiling the party. While we all want guys like Nick Gravina to get to the podium before they leave, is there an objective basis for believing his path is going to be any easier next year or that he is not going to continue to deal with shoulder issues? Even Ash, depending on what weight he chooses and how the shoulder holds up will have a few more question marks than in prior years. I think the goal at this point would be solidify the line up and send more than 6 competitors to the championships next year.

I think that is true. There seems to be a lot of people who think that blood round = AA the following year. It doesnt. For next year, you have Ash and Suriano as locks to AA. Then you have Gravina, JVB, and possibly Glasgow (?) as kids who could AA.

Just look at this year. Scotty D broke through, but others did not. And Lewis, who was a lock to AA going in to the year, did not. So next year, we are looking at 1AA if there is an upset, and up to 3 AA if everything goes right. We had a much better chance at 3 AA this year, then next.

Nice to see if somebody could add redshirts below the list, plus superstar frosh, just to get an idea of each weight class.

Maybe note whether somebody is expected to move weights as well.

I think that is true. There seems to be a lot of people who think that blood round = AA the following year. It doesnt. For next year, you have Ash and Suriano as locks to AA. Then you have Gravina, JVB, and possibly Glasgow (?) as kids who could AA.

Just look at this year. Scotty D broke through, but others did not. And Lewis, who was a lock to AA going in to the year, did not. So next year, we are looking at 1AA if there is an upset, and up to 3 AA if everything goes right. We had a much better chance at 3 AA this year, then next.

Agree with Cabbagehead, just because you were round of 12 this year, does not really mean much next year. RU is getting better, but as most long time college followers realize....it is super hard to All American. RU has a lot of new fans(which is great), but for the last 8 years people have been posting...next year we will get X amount of AA's. It is super tuff to AA, that is why I felt terrible for JVB. He was having a great tournament and was 13 seconds from being an AA.
If what WNG says is true, that JVB is moving up to 165 gonna be tuff to crack thru this group(and I am not even bringing in kids coming of Redshirt)
Joseph, McFadden, Marinelli, Wick, Rodgers, Marstellar, Chavez, Massa, White.

I agree with rufeelinit, Ole Cabbagehead and ScarletGrapfan, there are no "locks" or "gurantees" when it comes to being an AA in D1 wrestling.

rufeelinit said "I think the goal at this point would be solidify the line up and send more than 6 competitors to the championships next year."

For me the #1 goal is to NOT LET DONNY LEAVE. WE HAVE TO KEEP DONNY AT ALL COSTS. I believe the set back we will take would be tremendous if he leaves.

2 AA's should be as close to a lock given past history (NS & AA)
That should give us between 30 to 40 points in the tournament

Blood round type of guys
Gravina
JVB (If he can duplicate this year)

Qualifiers
MVB
Correnti
Glasgow
Correnti (DId he qualify his Freshman year)
Possible Firestone or Glasgow?

Non Qualifiers
heavyweight

Our tournament score should be around the same. With the same number of AA's. I would hope we have 7 to 8 qualifiers.

I have never been accused on being an optimist. I just try to go off past results.

Reactions: rubigtimenow

This is not a slight on Lewis, but how did this thought process get so accepted in our community? While many of us thought Lewis had a great chance to AA at 157 (especially after his strong 2016 start and U23 championship), the guy had 1 full season in D1 in which he could not break the blood round... yet everybody had this guy penciled as a definitive AA even after his bump up? I always thought we were overly optimistic. I also think many of the casual fans didn't recognize how damn tough 165 was this year and how much stronger and thicker the wrestlers are at that weight.

Suriano and Ashnault are the only sure bets and were the only sure bets last year as well.

With that said, I'm really looking forward to seeing Glasgow finally get here as well as watching Grello's development. I think that guy is going to surprise next season.

This is not a slight on Lewis, but how did this thought process get so accepted in our community? While many of us thought Lewis had a great chance to AA at 157 (especially after his strong 2016 start and U23 championship), the guy had 1 full season in D1 in which he could not break the blood round... yet everybody had this guy penciled as a definitive AA even after his bump up? I always thought we were overly optimistic. I also think many of the casual fans didn't recognize how damn tough 165 was this year and how much stronger and thicker the wrestlers are at that weight.

Suriano and Ashnault are the only sure bets and were the only sure bets last year as well.

With that said, I'm really looking forward to seeing Glasgow finally get here as well as watching Grello's development. I think that guy is going to surprise next season.

#1. Lewis just grabbed a world championship in freestyle. Not the same, yes, but he was going in on a hot streak.

#2. Outside of the top couple guys like Nolf, 157 was TERRIBLE (compared to other weights). The same will go for 149 next year. 165 was a killer weight, and we knew that going in. That's why it was rough seeing Lewis not make weight. I mean JVB, god bless his heart, was seconds away from AAing at 157. I'm pretty sure 149 will be like that this year. I mean Kolodzik is the highest rated guy going into the year returning, and he's not invincible like some of the PSU guys.

#1. Lewis just grabbed a world championship in freestyle. Not the same, yes, but he was going in on a hot streak.

#2. Outside of the top couple guys like Nolf, 157 was TERRIBLE (compared to other weights). The same will go for 149 next year. 165 was a killer weight, and we knew that going in. That's why it was rough seeing Lewis not make weight. I mean JVB, god bless his heart, was seconds away from AAing at 157. I'm pretty sure 149 will be like that this year. I mean Kolodzik is the highest rated guy going into the year returning, and he's not invincible like some of the PSU guys.

Respectfully it's not the same. MVB knocked off Kevin Jack in the offseason in Freestyle and he couldn't sniff nationals this year. Not a knock on Van Brill who will improve, but that win got people a bit to excited as well. Freestyle is a different breed and Richie was also working at a lower weight.

165 was a beast and you can't call a guy a "sure bet" if he was never there before. Ashnault is a true bona fide blue chipper with 2 semi-final appearances and multiple B1G titles who as AA'd every year. Suriano is arguably the best wrestler to come out of the state and had 1 blemish last year before getting hurt to a guy who arguably would have been national champ if not for Cruz's run while Suriano tuned Cruz up last year. THOSE are sure bets. Lewis was anything but.

Anyway, I like to keep it positive but just thought with the season over, that needed to be said.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Who went into the season or into NCAA's assuming Lewis was a sure bet to AA? I think people were optimistic of him placing, he was definitely one of our better chances at AA.

Edit: Okay, I saw Cabbage claim he was a lock for AA entering the year. However, going into the year Lewis was at 157 and he had just won US Trials, so I don't think that was too outrageous of a claim to make.

Who went into the season or into NCAA's assuming Lewis was a sure bet to AA? I think people were optimistic of him placing, he was definitely one of our better chances at AA.

Edit: Okay, I saw Cabbage claim he was a lock for AA entering the year. However, going into the year Lewis was at 157 and he had just won US Trials, so I don't think that was too outrageous of a claim to make.

Personally, at 157, I had him as a guarantee with a chance for Semis. At 165, it was a toss up.

To clarify, I did mean at 157. I stand by that... I think he was a lock at that weight class. Not the case at all at 165.

Reactions: CerealNTacos

According to Bill, he was going to beat Nolf, not just AA.

Bill doesn’t count. He’s in the room with these guys, so it’s understandable that he’s overly optimistic.

I wish we could have seen Lewis at 157. It could have been special.

Richie Lewis says he can't wait to go back down to 154 (70Kg) and bully guys around again, says he loves cutting weight.
From a video interview on his twitter, posted March 19, appears interview done at The Nationals.

https://twitter.com/lewisrichie?lang=en

Good interview, great Richie quote at the end:

"enemies and haters are just confused fans'. lol

Last edited:
Richie Lewis says he can't wait to go back down to 154 (70Kg) and bully guys around again, says he loves cutting weight.
From a video interview on his twitter, posted March 19, appears interview done at The Nationals.

https://twitter.com/lewisrichie?lang=en

Good interview, great Richie quote at the end:

"enemies and haters are just confused fans'. lol
OK, I'm now even more totally confused on the move up than ever before.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT