ADVERTISEMENT

worst care scenario

imbazza2

Junior
Jul 9, 2009
As we all hope franklin hangs around Ped state for a long time.
here is how it may play out
they need a win late in the season to make a bowl and they come to Rutgers and we beat them. Of course franklin blames everyone and everything but himself, he get canned!
So who do they go after from one of the top defenses** in the country OSU and take Schiano

** prediction
Meyer even said nothing would make him happier if Greg did well & got a another shot as a HC
I just do not think it would be in his division :}

Franklin will be a dead man walking after week four with loses to Pitt, Temple, and Michigan, what he does against Rutgers will mean next to nothing. Matt Rhule will be named the new coach of Penn State at the end of the year.

Reactions: MozRU
Wish Greg well, but doubt PSU or other schools considered top jobs would take a chance on him.
My opinion:
The Purdue's and Indiana's are the type of P-5 schools that probably would be interested in him.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Tom Herman would also be a target for Penn St should a coaching change be in their plans.

You guys and your worst case scenarios. You realize Every place that guy goes doesn't mean doom and gloom for RU? You get that.... right? Between his actual results and the PSU whispers he isn't getting a P5 job. Maybe he takes over for Rhule when he goes to PSU. More likely, some directional Florida school.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Wish Greg well, but doubt PSU or other schools considered top jobs would take a chance on him.
My opinion:
The Purdue's and Indiana's are the type of P-5 schools that probably would be interested in him.
If Indiana was smart they wouldn't change HC. They'd pay a DC 850k and spend another 500 on a stud recruiter. Their HC is awesome on O.

You guys and your worst case scenarios. You realize Every place that guy goes doesn't mean doom and gloom for RU? You get that.... right? Between his actual results and the PSU whispers he isn't getting a P5 job. Maybe he takes over for Rhule when he goes to PSU. More likely, some directional Florida school.

+1
It's hard for me to take these sky is falling guys seriously after hearing the way so many said Ped St getting Franklin was going to be our worst nightmare.
A good recruiter who turns out to be a bad game day coach - BTW, many have said the same thing about Schiano - and he hasn't been anywhere close to our worst nightmare.

Thankfully, with a competent coaching staff, I fear this perspective far less these days.

+1
It's hard for me to take these sky is falling guys seriously after hearing the way so many said Ped St getting Franklin was going to be our worst nightmare.
A good recruiter who turns out to be a bad game day coach - BTW, many have said the same thing about Schiano - and he hasn't been anywhere close to our worst nightmare.

Thankfully, with a competent coaching staff, I fear this perspective far less these days.
Schiano is different from Franklin.
Franklin great recruiter ok head coach.
Schiano is a good recruiter, great DC, average HC.

In keeping with the spirit of the thread title...

Chris Ash is Ray Handley. That my friends, is a pretty good "worst case scenario" for RU.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
If Indiana was smart they wouldn't change HC. They'd pay a DC 850k and spend another 500 on a stud recruiter. Their HC is awesome on O.
I think Wilson will be given more time, the Boilermakers' Hazell will be gone if Purdue
keeps losing like they have been.
Just used those two schools as examples.

Schiano is different from Franklin.
Franklin great recruiter ok head coach.
Schiano is a good recruiter, great DC, average HC.
Great DC, who when things started going bad defensively in the first half, always allowed the second half to be worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: yesrutgers01
I agree with Greg being a great defensive coach, but I stand by what I said.
I think both Franklin and Schiano have been described as "great recruiters" (for Schiano perhaps more local to NJ in the eyes of some), and thus "nightmare scenarios" if they end up at a strong school in the area (PSU).
Vkj - I agree with you, I'm not sure Greg is that good either, but my point is that many who fear him going to PSU describe him that way.

Both Franklin and Schiano have also been described as average to bad game day coaches. I'm referring here to their tenures as head coaches - not coordinators.

My point is that without the results on the field, You are not our "nightmare scenario", especially given our now competent coaching staff.
Franklin was described that way by many on this board when he first got to PSU, and he's proven to be no such thing.
I believe The same thing would happen with Greg if he were to end up there.

Probably all moot anyway, because I can't see anyone from the Sandusky era ending up there.

They won't hire Schiano, He worked under Sandusky...
I would think you are right, but besides their bullet headed coach the folks they have hired for president and athletic director have been between underwhelming and baffling. So you never know.

They won't hire Schiano, He worked under Sanduski, If Rhule does we'll this year he is probably next.

I think at most normal and reasonable places they won't hire GS. He was there before and has ties to Sandusky and he was probably involved in the cover up at some level. So most normal places just wouldn't want to go there . But if you haven't noticed penn state is far from normal . Covering up child rape and giving a guy to keys to your showers is a little questionable, don't you think ?. I wouldn't be surprised if GS got another shot at a place like that .

PSU isn't hiring a former PSU coach. No way, no how. They want this Sandusky think to die.

Watch GS end up at BC or something. Not too many other east coast programs with guys on the hot seat. Looking around, most programs the coach is fine or only been there for a year of two.
I don't see GS being able to do what Rich Rod did and make it out in the West Coast. GS is a east coast guy, IMO.

Anybody that PSU hires is going to have initial success recruiting, which will negatively impact RU. It's not limited to Schiano.

Indiana just gave their coach a six year extension. He isn't going anywhere for at least 2-3 years.

Indiana just gave their coach a six year extension. He isn't going anywhere for at least 2-3 years.
Have you looked at the extension? We gave one to Flood as well. If Indiana doesn't go bowling last year he was getting fired. It could be all optics for recruiting.

As we all hope franklin hangs around Ped state for a long time.
here is how it may play out
they need a win late in the season to make a bowl and they come to Rutgers and we beat them. Of course franklin blames everyone and everything but himself, he get canned!
So who do they go after from one of the top defenses** in the country OSU and take Schiano

** prediction
Meyer even said nothing would make him happier if Greg did well & got a another shot as a HC
I just do not think it would be in his division :}

28-3 with a depleted roster, two DTs on the OL and walk on kickers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT