ADVERTISEMENT

Would Rutgers be better off in the ACC?

Would RU be better off in the ACC?

• No, as a whole, RU is better off in the BiG

Votes: 157 78.9%
  • Yes, RU would be better off in the ACC

Votes: 42 21.1%

• Total voters
Is Rutgers the only fanbase with people who suggest the program should go to a weaker conference with a lower payout?

-No, every fanbase has fans who want worse for their program
-Yes, Aim Low is the motto of many of our fans

Reactions: ScarletDave
So- the 100 mil or so difference a year plus being in the most prestigious research conference on America doesn’t mean anything.
You would much rather get that 10 mil or so a year in a crappy conference to get a couple more wins..,
Just can’t make this shit up.

Does the $100m make us anymore competitive? Considering the schedule it comes along with?

Everyone keeps saying that even after we get $100m a year don't expect any increase in competitiveness.
We still won't be close to spending the same as the rest of the conference.

Note: those couple more wins come with inclusion in the CFP.

Reactions: Morrischiano
So a resounding "No." Again.

Close 'er up; see you next season.

Does the $100m make us anymore competitive? Considering the schedule it comes along with?

Everyone keeps saying that even after we get $100m a year don't expect any increase in competitiveness.
We still won't be close to spending the same as the rest of the conference.

Note: those couple more wins come with inclusion in the CFP.
The $100m allows for more coaches and staff in all sports. It allows football to pay their coordinators a very high salary and have a lot more support staff. It also allows Hobbs the ability to hire coaches like Owens in baseball.

But you'd rather take a significantly reduced ACC payout to maybe have more football success...lol.

That's not even a given because RU wouldn't attract the same level of recruits. The same goes with the other RU sports as the ACC isn't as good a sports conference as the B1G. And that's not even getting into the more prestigious academic affiliations you would have in the ACC.

Than we make in the B1G??

No. But my point is the less money we make from ACC at least could be offset a little bit by higher ticket sales, merch, etc from a successful program. I said in my original post ACC would be a step back financially

No. But my point is the less money we make from ACC at least could be offset a little bit by higher ticket sales, merch, etc from a successful program. I said in my original post ACC would be a step back financially
How about what the University gets by being part of the B1G? This is much bigger than just football wins. If the football team was taking in 50% of what it gets now, it would be supported even less by the school.
And tickets sales are not making up that money.?

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
How about what the University gets by being part of the B1G? This is much bigger than just football wins. If the football team was taking in 50% of what it gets now, it would be supported even less by the school.
What does the university actually get by being part of the BIG?

The $100m allows for more coaches and staff in all sports. It allows football to pay their coordinators a very high salary and have a lot more support staff. It also allows Hobbs the ability to hire coaches like Owens in baseball.

But you'd rather take a significantly reduced ACC payout to maybe have more football success...lol.

That's not even a given because RU wouldn't attract the same level of recruits. The same goes with the other RU sports as the ACC isn't as good a sports conference as the B1G. And that's not even getting into the more prestigious academic affiliations you would have in the ACC.
Umm we would take anything to have more football success . Football drives the bus . No one cares about those other sports . But it’s nice and cute when they do something

me

Which is why I said originally the ACC woukd be a step down financially. I’m not disagreeing.

A successful ACC program is getting less money than a terrible BIG program. Fact.

But my point is Rutgers being competitive in the ACC will lead to more money than them not being

But not much, tho.

Kinda a DOA argument.

Umm we would take anything to have more football success . Football drives the bus . No one cares about those other sports . But it’s nice and cute when they do something
Would we "take anything?" Like making half the money?!

Obviously, we would not.

Lol no... The fact that our former conference mates in the ACC - Miami, Syracuse, BC, VA Tech, Louisville, Pitt wish so bad that they could swap places with or join us; Florida State, Georgia Tech, Clemson would join the B1G I'm a heartbeat if invited; North Carolina, Virginia, Duke, NC State, Wake would jump over here if the right opportunity and timing came along and all of them are jealous of our upcoming TV income show that Rutgers is in their most ideal conference already.

Sure, we'd probably be more competitive in the ACC, but that's because the football in that conference sucks overall. Rutgers just needs to get their own shit together as a program and fanbase and they'll be competitive again. Maryland certainly has.

Last edited:
Go ask Syracuse or Pitt where they’d rather be. Pitt who I’m pretty sure won the ACC in football last year and you wouldn’t even know it

The top ranked ACC programs make about 40 million a year more than the lower programs. I wouldn’t say that’s “not much”
And they still make how much less than a low-ranked B1G team? Now ...and in four years?

Also, is RU supposed to be a "top ranked" ACC team in this imaginary moot scenario?

And they still make how much less than a low-ranked B1G team? Now ...and in four years?

Also, is RU supposed to be a "top ranked" ACC team in this imaginary moot scenario?

Once again I’m not comparing ACC to BIG. I’m comparing teams within the ACC.

If we were in the ACC yes, we’d make less money than then if we were in the BIG, but we should be competitive enough to make more than the average ACC team.

Once again I’m not comparing ACC to BIG. I’m comparing teams within the ACC.

If we were in the ACC yes, we’d make less money than then if we were in the BIG, but we should be competitive enough to make more than the average ACC team.
We'd be lucky to be an average ACC team.

Let it go, bro. You had it right with the basic premise. Kinda talked past yourself.

We'd be lucky to be an average ACC team.

Let it go, bro. You had it right with the basic premise. Kinda talked past yourself.

I’ve had it right the whole time. ACC teams make less than Big Ten Teans (though FSU and Clemson make more than about half the BIG)

And better ACC teams make more than worse ACC teams. I’d think Rutgers woukd be in the top half of the ACC.. hence more revenue than other ACC teams.

Don’t understand the pushback

I’ve had it right the whole time. ACC teams make less than Big Ten Teans (though FSU and Clemson make more than about half the BIG)

And better ACC teams make more than worse ACC teams. I’d think Rutgers woukd be in the top half of the ACC.. hence more revenue than other ACC teams.

Go to bed, some rest will do you good.

not sure which is dumber, the op or you guys actually facilitating this discussion

I think the better question is whether we would be better off going back to the Middle Three Conference? I don't know what kind of media deal we would get, but we certainly would be very competitive on the field.

So, if we can't have steady 9+ win seasons in football, we should just up and leave the conference, in spite of everything else that B1G membership brings the university (and other sports programs)? SUre, let's throw out the baby with the bathwater. Such narrow, small-minded thinking.

So, if we can't have steady 9+ win seasons in football, we should just up and leave the conference, in spite of everything else that B1G membership brings the university (and other sports programs)? SUre, let's throw out the baby with the bathwater. Such narrow, small-minded thinking.
Imagine thinking the ACC is better for RU because they might win a couple more games in football than the B1G which is better for RU in every other sport where they actually DO win at a B1G level in as well as all the academic benefits of B1G entry. The B1G academically is 2nd to only the Ivy League and I damn sure would rather rub elbows with Michigan, Northwestern, Wisconsin and soon to be USC and UCLA over probably all of the ACC schools not named UNC, UVA, Duke, and GT.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-

I wish you were right man but that's just not factually correct
Top of my head, ACC per year deal is ~25-30 million below B1G, possibly more

FSU and Clemson are stuck in ACC until heads roll in 2024-2025 as GOR is in process of being reworked/eliminated and a deal struck.

Until then, they depend on boosters to offset the difference. IPTAY has a ton and has always been a force. Everyone buys in, and they know how to get it done

FSU has less than 15k boosters and dipped below 8k during the latter stages of Willy Taggert. The goal is to get 25k boosters by 2025. Booster amounts start at $85/year, so they're not making up tv money on that alone

I'm not rutgersal-ian but I think there's too much of a defeatist attitude. I see the large majority think the B10 is the right conference but also think we're destined for the perpetual basement. If the other sports can improve, why can't football become respectable as well. I don't follow any other sports besides football and some basketball but IMO that just means the other sports have hired some good coaches and football hasn't, not that football is destined to the trash bin.

If GS doesn't work, we try again that's all. I've given so many examples of lower status programs showing flashes of respectability or better. Cincy made a 4 team playoff, TCU made a 4 team playoff. IU would have made a 12 team playoff in the pandemic year. Oregon St had a double digit win season, WF too etc..

Reactions: Knight Shift
At the time not 1 of us on these boards believed the B1G was interested in saving us..
there were many that hoped for a B1G invite and brought up location, not the state of program, as the reason the B1G should and would take RU as a member.

Others , with doom and gloom attitudes, were willing to settle for the ACC , because they felt that conference was the best RU could hope for

But prior to 2001, most ( in my opinion) weren't looking at other conferences , because the Big East was considered a top conference and most were satisfied belonging to it, except the way Rutgers couldn't seem to be competitive .

The B10 is more than football. Almost every other sport is competitive or one of the better teams. Academically and financially it helps our school in many ways. Fixing RU football is a 10 year process minimum.
I respect your opinion, but why do you say 10 years?
When you look at the track record of Mike Leach and Air Raid disciples, these coaches have shown an ability to compete and win with lesser talent. Why can't that work at Rutgers? What are the impediments to RU hiring an OC who runs that air raid, and why would it not succeed and get RU to at least 6-6 and cut down on the 0 score blowouts?

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Is Rutgers the only fanbase with people who suggest the program should go to a weaker conference with a lower payout?

-No, every fanbase has fans who want worse for their program
-Yes, Aim Low is the motto of many of our fans
Rutgers is the only fan base that:

lived through the disfunction of playing football in a conference that cared more about basketball

with the result that it was never viewed as the equal of the big football conferences and never made close to the money those schools did

then suffered through the years of uncertainty as conference peers left for better options

And finally everything fell apart and the school faced an even more bleak future….

that still has people who wish we would repeat the experience by going to the ACC.

Reactions: brgRC90
I respect your opinion, but why do you say 10 years?
When you look at the track record of Mike Leach and Air Raid disciples, these coaches have shown an ability to compete and win with lesser talent. Why can't that work at Rutgers? What are the impediments to RU hiring an OC who runs that air raid, and why would it not succeed and get RU to at least 6-6 and cut down on the 0 score blowouts?
To me fixing a program goes far beyond running the air raid offense. It requires a generational change of the perception of the school. When I say program I do not mean all of a sudden winning 6 or 7 games because we have a better OC or a good QB. It is about perception, it is about facilities, it is about support, game day experience, bathrooms, food etc. We do not act like big time football in many ways.

Greg is a program builder, he is not a team builder. Our defensive staff is what we need to win. Greg's next offensive staff hire is going to determine his legacy at Rutgers. His offense has to have a vision on and, more importantly, off of the field. That offensive staff is going to need 2-4 years to get the vision in place at a minimum.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT