ADVERTISEMENT

wrestling news

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point was our RTC has not happened yet. Strictly my opinion you need either a high profile coach or world class wrestlers for the RTC to be great. I prefer to have both! We have not hired the coach yet so until that happens I say if it happens.

My point was our RTC has not happened yet. Strictly my opinion you need either a high profile coach or world class wrestlers for the RTC to be great. I prefer to have both! We have not hired the coach yet so until that happens I say if it happens.
Maybe that is on the agenda for the summer for Goodale. Good chance he might explain his plans in detail during the banquet next week.

What makes you think he couldn't crack the two deep? The starter at his position is a walk-on as well and the other two backups are a converted QB who didn't play spring ball and another walk-on.

I just went with him not being able to get the football scholly, which typically will be given out to someone who can contribute right away, since he's a senior. The football coaching staff didn't see him contributing right away, which typically means no scholarship and no 2 deep.

Also, the NJ.com said the following, which spoke about him struggling on the football field: Gross was practicing as a blocking H-back as Rutgers searches for a starter at a position that didn't exist in last season's playbook. He also had a spot on special teams.

"He has to get his football legs back," position coach Vince Okruch said earlier this month. "He's a hard-working dude and he's a tough guy, but when you've been away from the game for a while it takes a while to re-acclimate yourself to it.''

Obviously you must know much more then I do. I am not the only person that thinks that upgrading to bigger names or more successful(at the D1/World level) could help the program immensely.

While there may be more like you who think an upgrade at coaching would help, they are certainly in the the extreme minority.

I agree with whomever said that there is really no way to prove that replacing Leo or Pollard would be beneficial at all. Leo is just as responsible for the building of this program as Goodale IMO.
It is pretty obvious the Impact that Donny has had on the program.

Oh and FYI..... Pollard is not even a paid employee on the staff, He is a Volunteer assistant, but acts as the main coach for the SKWC for which I believe he gets a stipend directly from the SKWC for.

While there may be more like you who think an upgrade at coaching would help, they are certainly in the the extreme minority.

I agree with whomever said that there is really no way to prove that replacing Leo or Pollard would be beneficial at all. Leo is just as responsible for the building of this program as Goodale IMO.
It is pretty obvious the Impact that Donny has had on the program.

Oh and FYI..... Pollard is not even a paid employee on the staff, He is a Volunteer assistant, but acts as the main coach for the SKWC for which I believe he gets a stipend directly from the SKWC for.

I used to call out the coaching staff few years back, but no more!

Leave the coaching staff alone! They are the jewels of all the athletic programs here at RU! In fact, RU needs to give them all handsome raises after repeatedly preparing the team for the spotlights!

Reactions: rubigtimenow
One thing that hasn't been taken into consideration is how long the staff has had their program fully funded. It hasn't been long. So let's see what they can do with the extra money.

Maybe someone will knock on SG's door and offer him a job with a substantial increase in pay and benefits. IMHO, there may be deep pocketed programs that would jump to have him at the helm, for many wrestling and non wrestling reasons. There are other head coaches at our school that are very fairly compensated for what they currently bring to the table compared to him, again IMHO. I'd be careful what you wish for in this situation. $$$$

Reactions: rubigtimenow
To add to what others have said, our coaching staff runs the program CLEAN! We need to acknowledge how great this is! Also, our wrestlers all get along and are good kids, so outside of winning matches, it's a pleasure seeing the kids get along and pull for each other. Also, it's good to see the coaches get along great with each other! The kids also have a mean streak in the matches, which epitomizes tough NJ wrestling, which I love. The things outside of Xs and Os do matter, esp. when we have a winning program.

Ok, well I have been humbled. I've followed the team relatively closely for a short 5 years and always recognized how great a job the staff has done but truly thought that we needed a big name (Besides Donny) but I have been convinced otherwise.

Ok, well I have been humbled. I've followed the team relatively closely for a short 5 years and always recognized how great a job the staff has done but truly thought that we needed a big name (Besides Donny) but I have been convinced otherwise.

I catch some sarcasm in your tone, but to me, the key is this ... are we on the downswing? Are we holding steady? Do you see us on the uptick? Etc.

1.) Recruiting has never been better overall. What's tough right now is going to be properly balancing the scholarships while still bringing in top guys. What you see now are (no offense to the wrestlers themselves) talented guys like Cleary being brought in for depth, while still getting a shot to show what they have and compete for starting spots without breaking the bank. Even five years ago I remember looking over the roster and wonder why we even bothered sending many of our wrestlers to sublevel tournaments if they were just going to lose both matches to D5-level talent. Last year we brought in a very good class (light on superstars, but heavy on tournament level talent). This year we have a superstar in Glasgow, with Metzler, Cleary and Santos for depth so far. Next year we've got Robinson (star), Janzer (national level guy), Benner (another NJ state champ) and likely more coming. Recruiting is only getting better as we hunt for AA-level talent.

2.) Facilities. What some people forget is that we're competing against the Iowas and Penn States and Lehighs and Cornells of the world while working in a back closet in the College Ave Gym. Think about this for a second and that will triple the appreciation for this staff right now. Soon we'll have the combined sports facility and actually have space to stretch out. We went from having most of our matches in the CAG to having our matches from and center in the RAC and stadium.

3.) Fan support - Consistent top 10 in attendance. With the big duals in the stadium, we make the top 5 most years. Fundraising money continuing to come in.

4.) Training. SKWC is growing tremendously between coaching staff, ex-college wrestlers, and fan support. Now we're looking into expanding with a regional TC with Princeton.

5.) Money. I know I mentioned it before, but the university has finally fully supported this program, meaning we have full use of our scholarships.

This program has a ways to grow before it gets in the upper echelon of programs. I'd say we're on the verge of being in that second tier of schools in terms of rankings. But that's with all of the above considered. We're still a baby program. Even though we've been around for a long time, it's like 2001 in football. We stopped pretending and started supporting the program and the monster has begun to awaken.

Would another big name in the room help? Most certainly. But is that what was holding us back? I don't believe so.

I catch some sarcasm in your tone, but to me, the key is this ... are we on the downswing? Are we holding steady? Do you see us on the uptick? Etc.

1.) Recruiting has never been better overall. What's tough right now is going to be properly balancing the scholarships while still bringing in top guys. What you see now are (no offense to the wrestlers themselves) talented guys like Cleary being brought in for depth, while still getting a shot to show what they have and compete for starting spots without breaking the bank. Even five years ago I remember looking over the roster and wonder why we even bothered sending many of our wrestlers to sublevel tournaments if they were just going to lose both matches to D5-level talent. Last year we brought in a very good class (light on superstars, but heavy on tournament level talent). This year we have a superstar in Glasgow, with Metzler, Cleary and Santos for depth so far. Next year we've got Robinson (star), Janzer (national level guy), Benner (another NJ state champ) and likely more coming. Recruiting is only getting better as we hunt for AA-level talent.

2.) Facilities. What some people forget is that we're competing against the Iowas and Penn States and Lehighs and Cornells of the world while working in a back closet in the College Ave Gym. Think about this for a second and that will triple the appreciation for this staff right now. Soon we'll have the combined sports facility and actually have space to stretch out. We went from having most of our matches in the CAG to having our matches from and center in the RAC and stadium.

3.) Fan support - Consistent top 10 in attendance. With the big duals in the stadium, we make the top 5 most years. Fundraising money continuing to come in.

4.) Training. SKWC is growing tremendously between coaching staff, ex-college wrestlers, and fan support. Now we're looking into expanding with a regional TC with Princeton.

5.) Money. I know I mentioned it before, but the university has finally fully supported this program, meaning we have full use of our scholarships.

This program has a ways to grow before it gets in the upper echelon of programs. I'd say we're on the verge of being in that second tier of schools in terms of rankings. But that's with all of the above considered. We're still a baby program. Even though we've been around for a long time, it's like 2001 in football. We stopped pretending and started supporting the program and the monster has begun to awaken.

Would another big name in the room help? Most certainly. But is that what was holding us back? I don't believe so.
Absolutely no sarcasm in that statement. When i posted originally, I thought the fact that Molinaro got swiped by VT was us losing out (apparently Molinaro was a bad fit at RU, which I didn't know). I looked around and saw a bevy of former elite NJ wrestlers, coaching at high levels and thought that getting them would be a major improvement.

But, what we have is not broken. Leo did do wonders for Gross and Corentti and I am excited to see what he can do with Mulligan, Donny is the man and since Pollard is unpaid you may not do better then him for no money.

So was I being sarcastic, No. I want RU to be a top program and I recognize we are slowly building toward that. I was wishfully thinking we could add a Burroughs, Espo or Hahn and make that jump tomorrow. Thats all it is though, wishful thinking. The reality is, RU has improved immensely and SG, Leo and Pollard are responsible for that.

To add to what others have said, our coaching staff runs the program CLEAN! We need to acknowledge how great this is! Also, our wrestlers all get along and are good kids, so outside of winning matches, it's a pleasure seeing the kids get along and pull for each other. Also, it's good to see the coaches get along great with each other! The kids also have a mean streak in the matches, which epitomizes tough NJ wrestling, which I love. The things outside of Xs and Os do matter, esp. when we have a winning program.
agreed. this is a very underrated aspect of a head coach's job. nothing will get a program cut quicker than academic and disciplinary issues.

those are without a doubt the top priorities of a coach. after that it's recruiting and filling the roster. then it's coaching the kids up, which is a duty more often shared with the assistants and the RTC if there is one.

any coach that takes care of those issues should be acknowledge as often as possible.

Ramp
I did not take your comments as sarcastic at all for what it is worth. I thought you were being honest and genuine. I hope the RTC gets done quickly as does Scott. Trust me.

Reactions: obrats
We should always strive for improvement. Getting better wrestlers, better coaches and better facilities should be the program's goals at all times.

The coaches and wrestlers are just PART of the program - they are not the program itself

Grello' opponent is a 2-time Indiana state champ and was 16-2 in his red shirt freshman year at U of Wisconsin so he is a very tough opponent.

Not very familiar with Grello's competition, but it's always good when guys do well in these sorts of tournaments. Would like to see more Rutgers guys compete in freestyle in the off-season.

Just an observation from the outside, your coaching staff is doing a pretty good job in my opinion. Yeah, I know what opinions are like.

Reactions: obrats
I'd like to also point out that Recruiting has been Pretty good

Glasgow, Grello, Mulligan, Correnti, and Paetzall (off the top of my head) all have AA capabilities and are all young.

Next Years roster is the strongest it been is a very long time and we should be able to compete very well with all teams except the Juggernaut known as Penn State.
Without Straining myself i can see 4-5 (potentially 6 if things swing the right way) realistic chances at AA's on next season's squad.

I'd like to also point out that Recruiting has been Pretty good

Glasgow, Grello, Mulligan, Correnti, and Paetzall (off the top of my head) all have AA capabilities and are all young.

Next Years roster is the strongest it been is a very long time and we should be able to compete very well with all teams except the Juggernaut known as Penn State.
Without Straining myself i can see 4-5 (potentially 6 if things swing the right way) realistic chances at AA's on next season's squad.
The biggest question mark to me is at 149 next year. Does Deluca take the bull by the horns? Or does Giraldo actually stop his Jeckyll and Hyde routine and stabilize the spot in the rotation?

The biggest question mark to me is at 149 next year. Does Deluca take the bull by the horns? Or does Giraldo actually stop his Jeckyll and Hyde routine and stabilize the spot in the rotation?
think its between Deluca and M VanBrill, dont think Giraldo will be a factor here?

think its between Deluca and M VanBrill, dont think Giraldo will be a factor here?
Giraldo to me is the most maddening wrestler I've seen here. He has talent, but I don't know why he loses to scrubs from time to time. If he ever put it together he could be a force.

I agree .... the only other highly unlikely scenario would be Glasgow not redshirting and going 149 for a year. Again I think this is highly unlikely both worth a mention. I think it is Deluca's spot to lose, and MVB's to steal

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT