ADVERTISEMENT

wrestling news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if we can't get the elite prospects we need to find the ones that will work hard and really want to improve. These are the ones that end up being the diamonds in the rough

Well if we can't get the elite prospects we need to find the ones that will work hard and really want to improve. These are the ones that end up being the diamonds in the rough

I think we do well with getting "4 star" type talent in wrestling. We aren't the type of program who looks for diamonds in the rough. We're the type of program that gets burned by passing on the diamond on the rough.

I think we do well with getting "4 star" type talent in wrestling. We aren't the type of program who looks for diamonds in the rough. We're the type of program that gets burned by passing on the diamond on the rough.
Huh? Who?

Huh? Who?

Are you saying that our recruiting is shoddy?

That's the point I'm making - our recruiting is not at the level where we go hunting for diamonds in the rough and hope they turn out into great wrestlers, when it is just as likely that they bust into wrestlers who don't make the NCAA tournament. That seemed to be the case under Sacchi.

Are you saying that our recruiting is shoddy?

That's the point I'm making - our recruiting is not at the level where we go hunting for diamonds in the rough and hope they turn out into great wrestlers, when it is just as likely that they bust into wrestlers who don't make the NCAA tournament. That seemed to be the case under Sacchi.
I'm confused. You posted that we get burned by passing on a diamond in the rough & I asked who burned us.

I'm confused. You posted that we get burned by passing on a diamond in the rough & I asked who burned us.

I did not say we got burned by passing on a diamond in the rough.

I said we are the type of program who would get burned by passing on a diamond in the rough.

I hope everyone recognizes that the recent commitments are walk-ons/place holders who are not getting scholarship money. Maybe one of them will turn into another Willie Scott. Our only true recruit for next year is Glasgow. Money opens up for the 2018 incoming class. That group of recruits will determine the possibility of being a top 10 or even a top 5 team.

Santos is a walkon?

I guess it depends on what you consider a walk on. If you are asking if he is getting scholly money, I would say no. He is a solid wrestler, but top teams do not give out scholly money for 4th place finishers. You can still be recruited, but not get any money.

It's not all about the scholarship money. Similar to the IVYs, many university provide financial aid/academic scholarship packages to student-athletes, and costs them virtually little to no money in attending a university as long as their grades are up.

Reactions: ruready07
Donner and Grello registered for Junior Freestyles at the US Open this weekend. top 7 in each weight get bids to the junior world team trials June 9-10.

could be some other guys I missed. list of all the wrestlers registered so far is on flo arena (toggle through the categories and weights in the upper left).

Is it time to go after a new Head Coach??? OR is it time to go after a whole new coaching staff???? I do not know if this has been discussed here but I feel strongly that Goodale only having 1 elite coach on his staff and him not being a former elite wrestler, seriously hurts the program. Yes, we have Donny Pritzlaff (who could be the head coach) but Pollard and Leonardis are not ELITE division 1 coaches. It is upsetting to see Molinaro coaching at VT, it stinks that we cant get Burroughs to help at his home state school. Damion Hahn and Mark Grey are at Cornell. ESPOSITO at OSU...There are a bevy of coaches that were MUCH MUCH better wrestlers then Leo and Pollard and I believe getting these coaches would help us exponentially in the recruiting game.

The list goes on for the coaches that Rutgers COULD have as Assistants to help take this team to the next level. I Love Goodale and want him to succeed. BUT in order to do that, he needs to bring on a whole different level of staff to help us take that next step.

Is it time to go after a new Head Coach??? OR is it time to go after a whole new coaching staff???? I do not know if this has been discussed here but I feel strongly that Goodale only having 1 elite coach on his staff and him not being a former elite wrestler, seriously hurts the program. Yes, we have Donny Pritzlaff (who could be the head coach) but Pollard and Leonardis are not ELITE division 1 coaches. It is upsetting to see Molinaro coaching at VT, it stinks that we cant get Burroughs to help at his home state school. Damion Hahn and Mark Grey are at Cornell. ESPOSITO at OSU...There are a bevy of coaches that were MUCH MUCH better wrestlers then Leo and Pollard and I believe getting these coaches would help us exponentially in the recruiting game.

The list goes on for the coaches that Rutgers COULD have as Assistants to help take this team to the next level. I Love Goodale and want him to succeed. BUT in order to do that, he needs to bring on a whole different level of staff to help us take that next step.

take a deep breath and relax. being a accomplished wrestler does not guarantee you will be a great coach. that's not how it works in any sport and it holds true for wrestling.

the coaching staff is doing an excellent job. there is no reason to think bringing in difference coaches will translate into better team results, either with recruiting or on the mat.

if you can't appreciate what the current coaching staff has done, how far they've taken the team from where it was, and just enjoy watching the student athletes compete, you are not really paying attention.

You are new here so I will be nice this one time...no, we don't need a new coach. Goodale is fine, although we MAY benefit from one/two more top grade assistants alongside Pritzlaff.

take a deep breath and relax. being a accomplished wrestler does not guarantee you will be a great coach. that's not how it works in any sport and it holds true for wrestling.

the coaching staff is doing an excellent job. there is no reason to think bringing in difference coaches will translate into better team results, either with recruiting or on the mat.

if you can't appreciate what the current coaching staff has done, how far they've taken the team from where it was, and just enjoy watching the student athletes compete, you are not really paying attention.

I can appreciate what this staff has done. I think everyone appreciates what this staff has done. But, its naive to think that moving on from Pollard or Leo and upgrading to someone like Molinaro, Hahn or Esposito (obviously you may not get them specifically, but just good examples) wouldn't be extremely beneficial

I'm deferring to you on this one. You've observed practice on a regular basis so I value your opinion greatly.
Obviously you must know much more then I do. I am not the only person that thinks that upgrading to bigger names or more successful(at the D1/World level) could help the program immensely.

Obviously you must know much more then I do. I am not the only person that thinks that upgrading to bigger names or more successful(at the D1/World level) could help the program immensely.

Bill does know much more than you do. It's good to see you acknowledge that.

Of all the coaches, staffs, and sports to complain about at Rutgers...give me a break LOL, this ain't the one!
4-5 years ago I see this program being successful. 3 years ago I attend a match. 2 years ago season tix. Last year more season tix. I absolutely love the trajectory of the program!
Goodale has a long long leash at this point and I wouldn't desire anyone else (aside from Cael).

Reactions: bigmatt718
Of all the coaches, staffs, and sports to complain about at Rutgers...give me a break LOL, this ain't the one!
4-5 years ago I see this program being successful. 3 years ago I attend a match. 2 years ago season tix. Last year more season tix. I absolutely love the trajectory of the program!
Goodale has a long long leash at this point and I wouldn't desire anyone else (aside from Cael).
Seriously. Goodale is as untouchable a coach as we have right now. Wrestling is only going to get better.

I can appreciate what this staff has done. I think everyone appreciates what this staff has done. But, its naive to think that moving on from Pollard or Leo and upgrading to someone like Molinaro, Hahn or Esposito (obviously you may not get them specifically, but just good examples) wouldn't be extremely beneficial

Hahn and Esposito are either going to take over Cornell and OKSt respectively or get paid Kevin Dresser money to take over some other program. Literally every NCAA program would like to have them on their staff, but not because they won NCAA titles, but because they have proven they can recruit and coach.

including Molinaro with those two premature to say the least. there is no reason to think Molinaro would be an upgrade over Pollard and Leo at the moment.

maybe if you raise like $10 millios you can endow a coaching position that could pay for a Hahn or Esposito at Rutgers right now. good luck, it would be extremely beneficial to the program if you could pull it off.

The key to a successful top program is have world team caliber wrestlers like Nebraska, Ohio State, Penn State and Oklahoma State have in those teams wrestling room which elevates those college wrestler get better and elevate their game. That gets us better not getting a Hahn or Espo here. Leo elevated Gross and Correnti' development along with Perrotti and Walsh. We hopefully get more of them if we get this RTC with Princeton off the ground.

The key to a successful top program is have world team caliber wrestlers like Nebraska, Ohio State, Penn State and Oklahoma State have in those teams wrestling room which elevates those college wrestler get better and elevate their game. That gets us better not getting a Hahn or Espo here. Leo elevated Gross and Correnti' development along with Perrotti and Walsh. We hopefully get more of them if we get this RTC with Princeton off the ground.
Interesting that you said IF WE GET.... Not WHEN WE GET....

Interesting that you said IF WE GET.... Not WHEN WE GET....
....go on....

....go on....

I don't have any inside information but Penn/Drexel-have an RTC-with Brandon Slay running things and then Princeton/RU announced they would have a joint RTC(and I am sure there was some deep pockets from Princeton involved and it looked like a great move). But then Columbia and the Edge announced an RTC and formed it super quick with big names Kendall Cross and Valentin Kalenka(Pico and Helen Maroulis coach). So if they go forward, they need a big coach to have wrestlers choose RU/PU over the Edge or Penn.

I don't have any inside information but Penn/Drexel-have an RTC-with Brandon Slay running things and then Princeton/RU announced they would have a joint RTC(and I am sure there was some deep pockets from Princeton involved and it looked like a great move). But then Columbia and the Edge announced an RTC and formed it super quick with big names Kendall Cross and Valentin Kalenka(Pico and Helen Maroulis coach). So if they go forward, they need a big coach to have wrestlers choose RU/PU over the Edge or Penn.
Yeah, I was concerned when we heard nothing soon after the NJRTC announcement & Edge/Columbia formed & staffed NYCRTC quickly. Disappointing.

I made note of the Gross thing when it happened and said this would probably have everything to do with scholarships. If he got any money from RU playing both, it'd have to be a full scholarship from football, since it's the top sport on the scholarship list and he was already getting some money. I'm happy he got to join back up with the team, even if it was just for the spring. Now he can be on partial scholarship and wrestle and fill in a big gap for us.

Yes great news. A full year of wresting off season and he is a national qualifier without question.

Wrestling was always his better sport, everyone chases the dream of Football.

Gross is done with football. Back to wrestling, great news for wrestling fans.

It is a great news for him and the wrestling team. He wasn't going to crack the 2 deep, and the great thing about this is that he recognized it sooner than later and not hurt his chances of reaching his full wrestling potential for his last year.

I can't blame Gross for trying to pursue his dream sport, he can't say he didn't try at least. Now let's get him a full summer of S&C and he easily is an NCAA tourney caliber Heavy. He was one win away from the NCAAs with him shaking off years of rust the first half of last year.

Reactions: IsItLuck
It is a great news for him and the wrestling team. He wasn't going to crack the 2 deep, and the great thing about this is that he recognized it sooner than later and not hurt his chances of reaching his full wrestling potential for his last year.

What makes you think he couldn't crack the two deep? The starter at his position is a walk-on as well and the other two backups are a converted QB who didn't play spring ball and another walk-on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT