ADVERTISEMENT

wrestling news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like we are getting the Gauntlet in conference like we did in Year 1. I def expect us to do much better this time after 3 years of B1G experience.

I noticed this interesting blurb on Facebook in the NJ Wrestling forum Group:

Mark W. Kellstrom Sr.New Jersey Wrestling Forum
5 mins ·

Had Dallas and Scott Winston of Miller Pipeline, multiple state champs, upgrading my natural gas pipe system at the house today--also on the Miller team is Rutgers HWT Dan Hopkins and they just hired Anthony Perrotti....they need a company wrestling team!! Nice guys, did a great job, way to go Miller......

17757617_1614574615234572_3480822223528059914_n.jpg

I just thought of something in regards to the new Fox/FS1 contract for the B1G starting next year. Denver was playing Nova today on FS1 in lax. Could we possibly see Olympic B1G sports like wrestling, soccer, lax, baseball, etc., on FS1/FS2 next year? I bet RU would get a few FS1 wrestling matches on a Friday night for example with our popularity in the sport. I could even see Midlands or B1G Tourney medal matches on FS2 or something next year as well.

Trace Kinner commits to NC State. Got to wonder if that gives NC State a leg up on the competition for Quinn Kinner.

I've been touting these kids for a while now since they're from my HS. Best of luck to Trace, but I think we will be solid at that weight for a while.

Anyone hear anything about us potentially targeting grad transfers or JUCOs at Heavyweight? Still a bit concerned with Gross leaving for football...although I bet he comes back to wrestling full time if he can't crack the 2 deep.

I've been touting these kids for a while now since they're from my HS. Best of luck to Trace, but I think we will be solid at that weight for a while.
I'm not going to lie, until Robinson signs I am not resting easy about his verbal.

Reactions: Passe24
Anyone hear anything about us potentially targeting grad transfers or JUCOs at Heavyweight? Still a bit concerned with Gross leaving for football...although I bet he comes back to wrestling full time if he can't crack the 2 deep.

I have not heard anything, but Grad transfers are rare(yes it does happen, but not that often), same with Juco's. I think we are going to just have to suck it up with whoever starts till Gross gets back. And I have said earlier, not expecting too much from Gross this year. He wont be really ready till mid January, so don't think he will help us next year.

I have not heard anything, but Grad transfers are rare(yes it does happen, but not that often), same with Juco's. I think we are going to just have to suck it up with whoever starts till Gross gets back. And I have said earlier, not expecting too much from Gross this year. He wont be really ready till mid January, so don't think he will help us next year.
I think he would come back to wrestling if he can't crack the 2 deep. Doubt he wants to ride the bench and play scout team with Ash in his senior year when he could easily be an NCAA tourney level wrestler.

I think he would come back to wrestling if he can't crack the 2 deep. Doubt he wants to ride the bench and play scout team with Ash in his senior year when he could easily be an NCAA tourney level wrestler.

You would think, but it sounds like he loves Football more than wrestling. He originally chose Football over wrestling coming out of High School(even though he was not a big time Football recruit) and now he is going back. As a wrestling fan, I want him with the team, but not optimistic.

If he does not come back we can wrestle Correnti st 285
True. We def need a Heavyweight in the room after this upcoming season anyhow. Ralph Normandia I believe is a senior going into this year. Ideally we get one more heavy for the 2018 class to avoid major depth issues after this coming season.

Mulligan is going to be a kick ass 197 pounder next year. The same way I told you Lewis would win over 20 bouts in his first year with us so will Mulligan next year.
I'm really excited for next year...it'll easily be our best team yet. We could easily put 4 on the podium...maybe more if Mulligan is as good as you say he is. Could also see someone like Pagano take a big step up at 174 and contend for AA.

Reactions: IsItLuck
Robinson makes me nervous as well. He is only going to get better and will prob be ranked 1-2 in his weight class Hope he still comes. 125 is a weak spot and HWT. Also it's easy to say Vanbrill will move up to 165 but it doesn't mean success will come with that. Whole different ball game with those hammers. Pagano will be better as well.
Does anyone know if Gravina will indeed get another year or was that just talk?

Robinson makes me nervous as well. He is only going to get better and will prob be ranked 1-2 in his weight class Hope he still comes. 125 is a weak spot and HWT. Also it's easy to say Vanbrill will move up to 165 but it doesn't mean success will come with that. Whole different ball game with those hammers. Pagano will be better as well.
Does anyone know if Gravina will indeed get another year or was that just talk?
The thing that makes me nervous Robinson is not that he's from blair it's if his stock really rises his sr year and all the top programs come knocking. Aka J. Dziewa to Iowa. I think the uneasiness comes from the recent trend of the top kids verbalizing early and then changing their minds i.e. Teasdale to Pennst.

Mulligan is going to be a kick ass 197 pounder next year. The same way I told you Lewis would win over 20 bouts in his first year with us so will Mulligan next year.
Thats really exciting to hear! Lewis had a really good first season at RU; beating studs like Berger, Kutler, and Murphy so expecting big things out of Mulligan

Luv Correnti. He had a great year for a True Freshman at 197 this year. But, he would get mauled at 285 next year.

Rutgers needs someone else at 285 next year.
I'll choose to have more faith in the coaching staff than you. Correnti only needs to bulk up to the 230-240 range to be an effective Heavy. Give me an athletic Heavy at 235 over a lumbering, sloppy bear at 275.

Based upon Mulligan's results in his redshirt year, he did not have any big victories and lost to a lot of other redshirts. Expect him to be a national qualifier. Anything else is a bonus. Lewis is much different than Mulligan as he had an outstanding record when he wrestled at Iowa Central. Hope WNG is right as he seems to have the inside scope.

As to next year, the team will be better. However, all the top teams except for Iowa will be much better. Just look at their returning wrestlers, the kids coming off red shirt, and the true freshman entering. 3 All Americans should be our goal with 2 likely.

Reactions: Road Crew STU
Based upon Mulligan's results in his redshirt year, he did not have any big victories and lost to a lot of other redshirts. Expect him to be a national qualifier. Anything else is a bonus. Lewis is much different than Mulligan as he had an outstanding record when he wrestled at Iowa Central. Hope WNG is right as he seems to have the inside scope.

As to next year, the team will be better. However, all the top teams except for Iowa will be much better. Just look at their returning wrestlers, the kids coming off red shirt, and the true freshman entering. 3 All Americans should be our goal with 2 likely.
I'd gladly take 3 AAs...Ash, Lewis and Gravina have to be the 3 most likely to do it. Delvecchio made it to Blood Round, maybe he can push for a 4th AA. Anything else above that is gravy. We are building a nice foundation each year...maybe this year 3 AA's is the standard, then 4 AA's, then maybe a NC winner. In a few years time, only getting 2 AA's will be looked at as a disappointment of a season, not a success.

His brother is a bluechipper. Trace is good depth. Both can be very good wrestlers. Do we need them? Not necessarily.

As a comparison. Quinn beat Cleary who beat Trace two times in states.
I Prefer one very good guy at the weight and walk-ons backing him up. Quality Depth is nice for when injuries happen but when u have 2-3 NCAA qualifier quality guys at one weight then it almost feels like wasted talent. They either gotta ride the bench or transfer like Dippery did.

Reactions: bigmatt718
The big boys will be all over Robinson blowing sweet nothings in his ear so he will probably take some visits

I heard another PSU wrestler is going to transfer to RU.

I heard another PSU wrestler is going to transfer to RU.

For the love of god this kid either needs to transfer to RU or everybody just needs to drop the subject until it happens.

I'll choose to have more faith in the coaching staff than you. Correnti only needs to bulk up to the 230-240 range to be an effective Heavy. Give me an athletic Heavy at 235 over a lumbering, sloppy bear at 275.

I don't think Rutgers coaching staff will do that to Matt Correnti next year. Time will tell. There are many good wrestlers that weigh between 230 and 285. Matt Correnti weighed 195lbs a month or two ago.

His brother is a bluechipper. Trace is good depth. Both can be very good wrestlers. Do we need them? Not necessarily.

As a comparison. Quinn beat Cleary who beat Trace two times in states.
Good wrestler,not a Blue Chipper..UR-Flo #19 Intermat

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT