ADVERTISEMENT

wrestling news

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's his life, let him do what he wants. Maybe he will get scouted or by a NFL agent or something. If anything, playing football will help his conditioning.
It will hurt his conditioning. It completely two different types of conditioning. His conditioning will be far behind the guys who have been with the team.

Speaking of next years Schedule .... everyone will be VERY Happy with next year's home slate. Should be officially out in a week or two. And no I will not tell you what it is. Some on here got it from the same person I did so they are already aware
JP, do you think RU can become 3rd in the nation in average attendance soon? We will never catch Iowa or PSU but we were 6th in attendance in Year 1 of the B1G and 5th in Year 2. We were only about 500 or so fans behind Ok State and OSU per match for 3rd. It's amazing how we went from wrestling in front of just parents at the CAG to 16k outdoors vs Princeton in 10 years.

Wrestling Rider does not excite me. If I want to see Rider, I can drive to Lawrenceville. Bring in a team from another part of the country. Keep the Princeton match as they are our partner in the NJRTC and drew over 16,000 to the Battle at the Birthplace

I like local rivalries and would like to watch us wrestle Princeton and Rider. It'll continue to bring excitement to NJ wrestling.

It will hurt his conditioning. It completely two different types of conditioning. His conditioning will be far behind the guys who have been with the team.
Yeah ur right. I wasn't thinking doing football vs doing nothing for some reason. Yes wrestling year round>football+wrestling

Reactions: PSU_Nut
A tri-meet with Princeton and Rider would be great and draw a large number of NJ fans. Maybe they can even find a 4th team and call it an annual battle of NJ. Honestly I would prefer that to the football stadium match. The atmosphere in a football stadium just doesn't compare to the RAC.

A tri-meet with Princeton and Rider would be great and draw a large number of NJ fans. Maybe they can even find a 4th team and call it an annual battle of NJ. Honestly I would prefer that to the football stadium match. The atmosphere in a football stadium just doesn't compare to the RAC.

I propose a Quad Meet.
Rutgers
Princeton
Rider
Plus One Rotating semi Local Team (Drexel, Army, Lehigh, Columbia, Bighamton, Bucknell)

You can rotate it between THe RAC, The Sun National Bank Center ( sonce Rider does not have an adequate facility for such and event, and Jadwyn Gym

I think it would draw very very well especially if done early in the season

Reactions: IsItLuck
I like local rivalries and would like to watch us wrestle Princeton and Rider. It'll continue to bring excitement to NJ wrestling.

I propose a Quad Meet.
Rutgers
Princeton
Rider
Plus One Rotating semi Local Team (Drexel, Army, Lehigh, Columbia, Bighamton, Bucknell)

You can rotate it between THe RAC, The Sun National Bank Center ( sonce Rider does not have an adequate facility for such and event, and Jadwyn Gym

I have no desire to wrestle Rider, especially after all their nonsense a few years ago on Twitter. And there's no reason to wrestle a tri or quad in college. Duals only.

Leonard, I understand the dislike of Rider however they do have a good wrestling team and would present some very good individual match ups with Rutgers. Also we have and still do participate in events where we wrestle multiple duals over the course of the day. It's just my opinion but I think a lot of people would enjoy an all NJ tri-meet. On the other hand I have absolutely no interest in going to Yankee Stadium to watch a match against Maryland.

I propose a Quad Meet.
Rutgers
Princeton
Rider

I like the Quad idea. I think it'll bring a lot of NJ wrestling excitement. For the 4th team, can we invite Blair? I'm kidding of course, but they'd do pretty well.

These types of events will bring more fans to watch RU, Rider, and Princeton over the years b/c NJ has tons of fans loving HS wrestling. It's a way to expose how exciting college wrestling is on their backyard, and see kids they rooted for or against over their junior careers.

Anything that can increase local interest in the sport is a positive and should be welcomed. We're at the point where many top N.J. high school performers can not crack our lineup. Some very good wrestlers will end up at Rider, Drexel, Old Dominion, etc. These schools will come into our gym hungry and provide good competition as we prepare for the B1G grind. Bring them on. $$$$

Last edited:
I like the Quad idea. I think it'll bring a lot of NJ wrestling excitement. For the 4th team, can we invite Blair? I'm kidding of course, but they'd do pretty well.

These types of events will bring more fans to watch RU, Rider, and Princeton over the years b/c NJ has tons of fans loving HS wrestling. It's a way to expose how exciting college wrestling is on their backyard, and see kids they rooted for or against over their junior careers.

The idea behind the quad is to make an Annual event/celebration of New Jersey Collegiate Wrestling. While 3 Big 3 in NJ may be opponents on the mat, they all serve the same core goal of promoting the sport in State
An event like this promotes the sport, and if done at the right time of year could be a signature event for the sport of Wrestling in NJ.

I have no desire to wrestle Rider, especially after all their nonsense a few years ago on Twitter. And there's no reason to wrestle a tri or quad in college. Duals only.

Just so we are on the same page here Leonard.
A tri or Quad are Dual Matches. Just more than 1 Dual Match in a day.
So we would be in fact wrestling duals.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Leonard, I understand the dislike of Rider however they do have a good wrestling team and would present some very good individual match ups with Rutgers. Also we have and still do participate in events where we wrestle multiple duals over the course of the day. It's just my opinion but I think a lot of people would enjoy an all NJ tri-meet. On the other hand I have absolutely no interest in going to Yankee Stadium to watch a match against Maryland.
There are plenty of other schools that have been mentioned that have just as good or better matchups.

Anything that can increase local interest in the sport is a positive and should be welcomed. We're at the point where many top N.J. high school performers can not crack our lineup. Some very good wrestlers will end up at Rider, Old Dominion, etc. These schools will come into our gym hungry and provide good competition as we prepare for the B1G grind. Bring them on. $$$$
Just so we are on the same page here Leonard.
A tri or Quad are Dual Matches. Just more than 1 Dual Match in a day.
So we would be in fact wrestling duals.
Did you seriously think I didn't know what it was or were you trying to be...

Exactly. No different than Grapple at the Garden.
Most fans don't want to sit in a gym for an entire day to watch a quad. Fans want exciting dual meets. Dual tourneys & quads are killing wrestling for the fans, especially at the HS level.

Reactions: Jersey Boys
No benefit in wrestling Rider. The attitude of some of their coaches does not represent sportsmanship. Calling a team out on twitter and making negative Facebook posts regarding an opponent by a coach is not a team I want to watch wrestle. Before you advocate for a Rider match learn more about the Rider program. Do we want to be associated with them. Excited for next year's home schedule. Just don't include me for the Rider match.

Speaking of next years Schedule .... everyone will be VERY Happy with next year's home slate. Should be officially out in a week or two. And no I will not tell you what it is. Some on here got it from the same person I did so they are already aware
I'm hoping for Lehigh & one ACC team (NC State preferably to Ash goes against Jack during the regular season) at home. That allows for Rutgers to host at home for NWCA and not wrestle Lehigh again during that match, opening up varied opponents from different conferences (VT, NCSt, Mizzou etc).

No benefit in wrestling Rider. The attitude of some of their coaches does not represent sportsmanship. Calling a team out on twitter and making negative Facebook posts regarding an opponent by a coach is not a team I want to watch wrestle. Before you advocate for a Rider match learn more about the Rider program. Do we want to be associated with them. Excited for next year's home schedule. Just don't include me for the Rider match.

So then crush them !

Not understanding this mentality of running away from something because it's uncomfortable.

We better establish ourselves as the clear dominant program in the state before we try to conquer the country.

Princeton and Rider - we're coming for you

Reactions: obrats
So then crush them !

Not understanding this mentality of running away from something because it's uncomfortable.

We better establish ourselves as the clear dominant program in the state before we try to conquer the country.

Princeton and Rider - we're coming for you
Princeton hasn't beaten us in 20+ years in wrestling. Its like WVU football was to us in our BE years.

Reactions: ruready07
This

The fact that Goodale let Dippery go to Rider represents class by our coaching staff. They did want was in Dippery's best interest. It probably isn't easy for Goodale to see Gross practicing with the football team. However, he did what he could do to help Gross rebuild his life. He also went out of his way to help Camp rebuild his life.

A coach's job includes building character guys. This includes a coach role modeling proper behavior.

It is great to wrestle local high class programs like Princeton and Lehigh. We don't need to give exposure to a program that behaves in a manner inconsistent with Rutgers values.

Do research before expressing uninformed opinions. Then ask yourself, do you think that Barchi, Hobbs, the coaches, and most RU grads believe that there would be a another opponent that better represents the values of college sports.

The fact that Goodale let Dippery go to Rider represents class by our coaching staff. They did want was in Dippery's best interest. It probably isn't easy for Goodale to see Gross practicing with the football team. However, he did what he could do to help Gross rebuild his life. He also went out of his way to help Camp rebuild his life.

A coach's job includes building character guys. This includes a coach role modeling proper behavior.

It is great to wrestle local high class programs like Princeton and Lehigh. We don't need to give exposure to a program that behaves in a manner inconsistent with Rutgers values.

Do research before expressing uninformed opinions. Then ask yourself, do you think that Barchi, Hobbs, the coaches, and most RU grads believe that there would be a another opponent that better represents the values of college sports.
What are these "Rutgers values"? is there a list somewhere?

I would imagine not publicly calling out HCs on social media would be one of them.

I don't know the history behind RU and Rider. Why did he call out Goodall? Anyone know the behind the scene story?

I personally don't care for Rider, but I know their wrestlers, and root for them at the nationals b/c they're NJ kids. That's the extent, and when RU wrestles at Rider, it's an easier drive for me, which I like. Same for Lehigh or Drexel (easiest drive, but Drexel isn't good - they should wrestle Penn).

And competition wise, they had a pretty decent NCAA for a small NJ school.

Came in two spots behind us in team standings (5.5 points behind us). Princeton was 6 spots behind us (9 points back).

With so much talent in NJ, and so few wrestling schollies to go around , Rider gets good talent by default.
Heck D3 Centenary U in Hackettstown (Warren County) is now a D3 Wrestling power with a relatively young /new program, led by John Garriques of Phillipsburg HS (via Hackettstown, lol ).

I don't know the history behind RU and Rider. Why did he call out Goodall? Anyone know the behind the scene story?

I personally don't care for Rider, but I know their wrestlers, and root for them at the nationals b/c they're NJ kids. That's the extent, and when RU wrestles at Rider, it's an easier drive for me, which I like. Same for Lehigh or Drexel (easiest drive, but Drexel isn't good - they should wrestle Penn).

Well they use to wrestle each other then Rutgers dropped them. Who knows why, but my opinion is that RU was becoming bigger and did not want to wrestle Rider any longer. The new assistant at Rider is a very competitive coach and has been trying to get the RU vs Rider match for the last few years. I don't think he should be going on social media to do it, but I am sure they are frustrated that RU will not wrestle them. I do feel that they should wrestle, just because it would be great for NJ fans.

Well they use to wrestle each other then Rutgers dropped them. Who knows why, but my opinion is that RU was becoming bigger and did not want to wrestle Rider any longer. The new assistant at Rider is a very competitive coach and has been trying to get the RU vs Rider match for the last few years. I don't think he should be going on social media to do it, but I am sure they are frustrated that RU will not wrestle them. I do feel that they should wrestle, just because it would be great for NJ fans.

Rider is the Red headed step child to Rutgers and Princeton in College Wrestling in NJ. It's good strategy for them to call out the teams ahead of them in NJ for a shot. Just like in Boxing and WWE. That's Entertainment.

I don't understand why people are so enamored with wrestling Rider. I'd be fine shutting them out & not wrestling them ever. There are plenty of other schools to wrestle that will draw well. Get over it.

I don't understand why people are so enamored with wrestling Rider. I'd be fine shutting them out & not wrestling them ever. There are plenty of other schools to wrestle that will draw well. Get over it.

A Rutgers vs Rider dual, would be better than almost any other non Big10 dual other than Cornell, Lehigh, or maybe Ok St or Mizzou. All former NJ great HS wrestlers on both sides for the most part.
Sign me up for that.

Reactions: rubigtimenow

The idea behind the quad is to make an Annual event/celebration of New Jersey Collegiate Wrestling. While 3 Big 3 in NJ may be opponents on the mat, they all serve the same core goal of promoting the sport in State
An event like this promotes the sport, and if done at the right time of year could be a signature event for the sport of Wrestling in NJ.

Quads suck

Reactions: Leonard23
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT