ADVERTISEMENT

wrestling news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nick Suriano is out of NCAA's.

Bad news for Penn st team title hopes. They could still win but the road much harder. Feel bad for a talented hard working kid like a Suriano, even if he's not an RU wrestler.

News this week:

3x PIAA champ Gavin Teasdale (#2 ranked 126 pounder by Intermat behind Spencer Lee) decommitted from Iowa & will go to PSU.

165 lb NCAA qualifier Te'Shan Campbell is transferring from Pittsburgh to TOSU. Looks like he has 3 yrs to wrestle 2.

Posted this above in the "StickyThreads" but don't think everyone looks there.

It is official Tyson Dippery is transferring to Rider.

Reactions: JBott
Posted this above in the "StickyThreads" but don't think everyone looks there.

It is official Tyson Dippery is transferring to Rider.
Good for Dip and good for Rider. Will he have to sit out or is this a grad transfer situation? They are getting a great kid who I hope makes it far in the NCAA tourney. He definitely has the talent.

Good for Dip and good for Rider. Will he have to sit out or is this a grad transfer situation? They are getting a great kid who I hope makes it far in the NCAA tourney. He definitely has the talent.
Don't think he is graduating but won't have to sit a year (can't sit a year as his clock is up after next year). Rutgers will grant him a release so no need to sit.

Reactions: IsItLuck
Tyson can wrestle immediately. The coach granted his release and is happy to let him go there. 141, 149 and 157 are covered next year , his senior year. So there is no place for him to wrestle. He wants to wrestle dual meets and the NCAAs so Rider was the perfect answer. We all wish him well.

Wng, who takes over at 149 next year for Theo? How does 149/157/165 work out? I assume Richie is 157. JVB will fight for another spot. Not sure what the plans are for Glasgow.

Dippery was a 149 qualifier last year and lost to Lugo if Edinboro and got pinned in wrestlebacks so he was 0-2. I think 149 will be Deluca or Mike Van Brill or Giraldo. 157 will be Lewis and 165 is Grello, Scott or possibly JVB. I can't bulk up enough for 165

Dippery was a 149 qualifier last year and lost to Lugo if Edinboro and got pinned in wrestlebacks so he was 0-2. I think 149 will be Deluca or Mike Van Brill or Giraldo. 157 will be Lewis and 165 is Grello, Scott or possibly JVB. I can't bulk up enough for 165

Don't worry Bill...you are a Heavyweight to us here on this board!!!

Will be interesting to see if Glasgow red shirts like Ashnault did or comes and steps right in and wins the 149 spot.
A lot of true freshmen had a lot of success this year.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
He is a terrific recruit who the coaches have high hopes for the future. I think they would prefer a red shirt all things considered equal.

I think JVB will stay at 157 and back up Lewis. He is not strong enough to be competitive in 165, but in 157, he'll do well. After Lewis graduates, he'll be the man.

I think JVB will stay at 157 and back up Lewis. He is not strong enough to be competitive in 165, but in 157, he'll do well. After Lewis graduates, he'll be the man.
I'd hate to see the potential of JVB on the bench for a year.... the guy has legit chances to AA next year... we need him in the lineup... plz bulk up to 65 JVB!!

Reactions: bigmatt718
I'd hate to see the potential of JVB on the bench for a year.... the guy has legit chances to AA next year... we need him in the lineup... plz bulk up to 65 JVB!!
Grello better be the real deal and 100% ready to kick some ass if we are relegating JVB to the bench. Frankly I am hoping our staff aren't planning some of the moves that have been posted here, like keeping Correnti at 197 and not bulking him up to Heavy. That idea is asinine as hell with no Heavyweight after Gross graduates.

Grello better be the real deal and 100% ready to kick some ass if we are relegating JVB to the bench. Frankly I am hoping our staff aren't planning some of the moves that have been posted here, like keeping Correnti at 197 and not bulking him up to Heavy. That idea is asinine as hell with no Heavyweight after Gross graduates.

no ones being relegated anywhere... all spots are earned... and this staff has shown that they're not afraid to make changes if a wrestler isn't performing at his best...

So if he can start at 165, you want him to be a back up? He only has 4 years to be a starter, if he is the best option at 165(not saying he will be) he will start at 165.

I would be shocked if JVB can bulk up to 165. Honestly he has to bulk up to wrestle 157.

I like Corenti staying at 197 after a year of S&C. Hopefully Mulligan can wrestle 184 in two years. Deal with HWT when the time comes.

I would be shocked if JVB can bulk up to 165. Honestly he has to bulk up to wrestle 157.

I like Corenti staying at 197 after a year of S&C. Hopefully Mulligan can wrestle 184 in two years. Deal with HWT when the time comes.
You mean after next year? Gross is a senior don't forget.

I think Corenti will grow out of being 197 over next four years.

predicting future weights is very difficult. I think Correnti and JVB definitely have the frames to move up weights. I tend to favor guys adding muscle and moving up weights when possible but it's tough to know where guys will wrestle their best from a fan's point of view.

it's also tough to balance what's best for the individual and what's best for the team, but I trust the coaches to figure it out.

the best news is the continued depth the program is sporting. not many teams have national qualifier caliber guys on the bench, let alone two (JVB and Pagano this year). when you add in the job the 2 true frosh did and a former football player wrestling HWT in the Big Ten after 3 years of being out of the sport and you've got a very impressive season.

You mean after next year? Gross is a senior don't forget.
Yeah after next year. We should put guys in the best spot to succeed not where the team needs them. If Correnti is best at 197 then he stays there. Find someone else to wrestle heavyweight. If he grows out of the slot then so be it. But I am not for just forcing him to move up because we need a heavy. You do that he may not be able to handle it anyway. Stay at 197. Get a little stronger and win. Get a grad transfer for heavyweight. I like this lineup in two years save getting any other recruits.

Mack all
paetzal
Mvb
Giraldo
Glasgow
Grello
Donner
Mulligan
Correnti
Grad transfer.

Yeah after next year. We should put guys in the best spot to succeed not where the team needs them. If Correnti is best at 197 then he stays there. Find someone else to wrestle heavyweight. If he grows out of the slot then so be it. But I am not for just forcing him to move up because we need a heavy. You do that he may not be able to handle it anyway. Stay at 197. Get a little stronger and win. Get a grad transfer for heavyweight. I like this lineup in two years save getting any other recruits.

Mack all
paetzal
Mvb
Giraldo
Glasgow
Grello
Donner
Mulligan
Correnti
Grad transfer.
Why not both? Plus your lineup would fall apart if Gravina is granted a 6th year which the high ups on the board predict will happen.

Also is Gravina situation that he had season ending injuries in two different seasons?

I remember one of the B1G TV commentators stating that JVB had the frame to move up in weight class. That's why I suspect will happen. $$$$

I honestly don't care about having the best lineup. The continued rise of this program depends on having every singly guy wrestling at their best weight. The only people who should be going to another weight are guys who cannot win the starting job at their best weight.

If Mulligan is better than Correnti at 197, Correnti should take a redshirt and bulk up. That is what has been reported. If Correnti is better, he should stay at 197. Simple as that. If we have a hole at HVY as a result, so be it.

Same goes for 157 and 165.

I dont understand the notion that JVB cannot go at 165. He is as lanky as anyone on the mat. Perhaps he didn't have the weight this year, but there is no way you are going to convince me he can't put that weight on if he wants to.

Mack all
paetzal
Mvb
Giraldo
Glasgow
Grello
Donner
Mulligan
Correnti
Grad transfer.
hope its better than that..there's 3-4 holes in that line up

So if he can start at 165, you want him to be a back up? He only has 4 years to be a starter, if he is the best option at 165(not saying he will be) he will start at 165.

I agree. If he's a backup to Lewis at 157, but can be the best 165lb in the room, he should wrestle at 165. I'm still skeptical if Lewis can wrestler at 157 next year. I thought I heard he has trouble keeping that weight (i thought read it here before...).

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT