ADVERTISEMENT

wrestling news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lugo can go and Edinboro cannot really do anything, he has not redshirted yet. Suriano could go somewhere else outside the Big10 and use his redshirt

I know the Big10 rule. Suriano would only be eligible for 2 yrs if he went to another B1G school (he would lose a year of competing eligibility)

As far as non B1G..I believe you are correct. I may be mistaken, but if Edinboro grants release Lugo can wrestle next year. If not, he would have to go to the other school for a year, use his redshirt and have 2 yrs left eligibility (he already wrestled 2 yrs, so he would get all 4 yrs in).

I wonder if there is some kind of money issue though that's not spoken about? In other words, let's say Edinboro doesn't release Lugo, he goes to Iowa, uses his redhirt, who pays for that year of school? Is it Lugo? Is Iowa allowed to pick up the tab?

I know the Big10 rule. Suriano would only be eligible for 2 yrs if he went to another B1G school (he would lose a year of competing eligibility)

As far as non B1G..I believe you are correct. I may be mistaken, but if Edinboro grants release Lugo can wrestle next year. If not, he would have to go to the other school for a year, use his redshirt and have 2 yrs left eligibility (he already wrestled 2 yrs, so he would get all 4 yrs in).

I wonder if there is some kind of money issue though that's not spoken about? In other words, let's say Edinboro doesn't release Lugo, he goes to Iowa, uses his redhirt, who pays for that year of school? Is it Lugo? Is Iowa allowed to pick up the tab?

The rule used to be(could still be, have not looked in a few years) if Edinboro will not grant his release, Lugo can go to Iowa redshirt(but Iowa cannot offer him athletic money for the year) then for his final two years they can offer money. If Lugo goes to Iowa he is redshirting no matter what, Sorenson has one more year left.

Reactions: pish69
The rule states 1 season of eligibility & mentions nothing about competing, so why doesn't the redshirt year count as that 1 season when the B1G defines eligibility as a 5 year period? I think the rules are poorly drafted. You could easily mention in the rule that a redshirt doesn't satisfy the 1 year of lost eligibility & that it's 1 of the 4 competition years.

The rule states 1 season of eligibility & mentions nothing about competing, so why doesn't the redshirt year count as that 1 season when the B1G defines eligibility as a 5 year period? I think the rules are poorly drafted. You could easily mention in the rule that a redshirt doesn't satisfy the 1 year of lost eligibility & that it's 1 of the 4 competition years.
I agree with you. I read it the way you do. This wouldn't even be a consideration if he would actually lose a competing year. There has to be more to it or a hardship.

Reactions: Leonard23
The rule used to be(could still be, have not looked in a few years) if Edinboro will not grant his release, Lugo can go to Iowa redshirt(but Iowa cannot offer him athletic money for the year) then for his final two years they can offer money. If Lugo goes to Iowa he is redshirting no matter what, Sorenson has one more year left.

The bolded part is what I had remembered as well..wondering if this is the issue. If he can't pay his own way for the year, maybe that's the hiccup

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan

You only have 4 yrs of eligibility to compete. You lose 1 if you don't get waiver and exception. You are confusing the "redshirt" as a year of eligibilty. A redshirt gives you 5 years to compete in 4 but you still only have 4 eligible years to compete if that makes sense..

You only have 4 yrs of eligibility to compete. You lose 1 if you don't get waiver and exception. You are confusing the "redshirt" as a year of eligibilty. A redshirt gives you 5 years to compete in 4 but you still only have 4 eligible years to compete if that makes sense..
You have 5 years of eligibility of which only 4 you may compete.

You have 5 years of eligibility of which only 4 you may compete.

Your are only ELIGIBLE to compete in 4. They take away a competition year

No reason to continue this discussion about this. I have been wrong before but I am 99% certain I am right on this rule.

are there rules about transferring to more than 2 schools in an offseason? I'm assuming there are but it would a funny if it was a loophole and someone exploited it.

I would laugh anyway. regardless of who did it.

Again I'm not saying the guy is incorrect. He very well may be right on the rule. What I am saying is this would not be a consideration if he had to give up a year of competing. There must be something to this whether it be a hardship or some other rule to even make it possible. He would not even be considering transferring if you had to give up a year competing.

So if he came here he would have 2 years left after the 1 year sit out but what happens to the redshirt? He can't use it later right?

I wish the B1G would relax their transfer restrictions within conference across all sports to match, but, not exceed the transfer restrictions applied to athletic programs out of conference.

I feel this way, because, once an athlete decides that they want to transfer out of a B1G program, other B1G programs are at a disadvantage in getting that athlete as a result of the B1G's own rules.

Why put other B1G programs at a disadvantage once an athlete determines that they aren't satisfied with where they are ?

And why limit the options of any athlete that isn't happy beyond basic NCAA transfer restrictions ?

So if he came here he would have 2 years left after the 1 year sit out but what happens to the redshirt? He can't use it later right?
I think (not 100% sure) he would have to sit next season and then have 3 years to wrestle 2 if he transferred and didn't get a waiver. I can't see the grounds for a waiver.

July 1st, first day a coach can officially visit class of 2018 kids. WNG any word on if our coaches made visits? And if so care to share where they may have went?

I really like that Mason Parris is taking the football approach and tweeting pictures of him and the coaches that visited his house today.

These could be our prime targets. All ranked in top 100.What do you think the odds are of these kids signing a LOI

Sasso. (149) 20% 40% if Suriano transfers
Glory. (125) 20% no chance if Suriano transfers
Gissendanner. (157) 40%
Merola (165) 40% - Suriano would raise the odds
Robinson (141) 85%
Conigliaro (157) 35%
Janzer (184) 90%
Lighter - (197) 75%

Suriano - who knows if rumor is real - 50%

These could be our prime targets. All ranked in top 100.What do you think the odds are of these kids signing a LOI

Sasso. (149) 20% 40% if Suriano transfers
Glory. (125) 20% no chance if Suriano transfers
Gissendanner. (157) 40%
Merola (165) 40% - Suriano would raise the odds
Robinson (141) 85%
Conigliaro (157) 35%
Janzer (184) 90%
Lighter - (197) 75%

Suriano - who knows if rumor is real - 50%
Aren't the rumors Sasso is tOSU or VT & Glory is Stanford? I'd guess Gissendanner is Cornell.

THERE was a fun tweet from the Stanford coach about the awkward moment when you are leaving a recruits house and another coach is walking in which Scott retweeted.

Wonder if he was the awkward moment :)

Reactions: Leonard23
I put Janzer and Robinson at 95% and Suriano at 80%
To miss a year of college wrestling due to an intra conference transfer just doesn't seem fair. These young men have been at this sport for over a dozen years.They do need a change of atmosphere at times, just like any other college student that transfers .Sitting out a year seems more than reasonable. I would feel exactly the same way if, for example, one of our Midwestern athletes wanted to go back closer to home. It's supposed to be about the student athlete, not administrators. Hope this is not the holdup here. $$$$

Last edited:
Reactions: brianoc
Goody just tweeted "BOOM". RU Wrestling has me waaaaay too excited. [banana]:boxing::fistbump::pray:

Go RU!!!
Diane

I wish they had a GPS on, so we can get an idea of where the Boom was dropped from :)

More info on lightner?
State Champ last year as a Jr. Had 2 losses on the season both up at 220 against 2 kids that placed at states and are committed to D1 programs. One was a 2 point loss and the other was a 1 point loss. Also wrestled some matches at 285. I like that he was willing to wrestle those kids up a weight seeking better competition rather then just taking the win at 195 against those teams.

Reactions: KidDagger
State Champ last year as a Jr. Had 2 losses on the season both up at 220 against 2 kids that placed at states and are committed to D1 programs. One was a 2 point loss and the other was a 1 point loss. Also wrestled some matches at 285. I like that he was willing to wrestle those kids up a weight seeking better competition rather then just taking the win at 195 against those teams.
I like Lightner a lot. Will definitely be a boost to our heavyweight part of the room.

Reactions: Jersey Boys
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT