ADVERTISEMENT

wrestling news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posting because it was from a member of the wrestling media.

Media reports out there that 2016 NCAA AA David McFadden will be transferring from Virginia Tech to home state Rutgers, fills spot at 165.

From Josh Lowe

Or did he see the fake posts everybody out there saw? One could only hope.

Not like we ever did think he's coming.

This always did smell like a troll.

Managing editor of Flo Wrestling

ok. Its just that even if Nick doesn't come to RU, it was very, very close to happening - so I wouldnt be so dismissive of it. If Suriano could do his recruitment all over again, no doubt about where he would wrestle.

The part I don't know is how pen st handled his release, if it came down to that.

What the hell does Pyles know.

While true he has a ton of contacts, he has been wrong in the past. And if he contacted Suriano or PSU coaches of course they are going to say not true. If you are thinking about transferring you do not say you are until you transferred...Lol. I still do not think he will, but there still is a lot of evidence that he might.

What the hell does Pyles know.

While true he has a ton of contacts, he has been wrong in the past. And if he contacted Suriano or PSU coaches of course they are going to say not true. If you are thinking about transferring you do not say you are until you transferred...Lol. I still do not think he will, but there still is a lot of evidence that he might.

I agree here. I think alot needs to play out before we can definitively say this situation is over.

I get the feeling there are Lots of moving parts on this one.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
There are and I will share when this is over. By the way Alex Esposito from Cranford who was 7th or 8th in states and D'Amore from Hillsboro who was 3rd both on RU wrestling team.

The fact Top Talent potentially wants to transfer to RU in itself is awesome. I only started following RU after Scoot Goodale became coach (My son was a decent, but not great HS wrestler). When he graduated I needed my wrestling fix.

I love watching this team and hopefully RU can keep Donny P for a long time.
If Princenton/SKWC can combine, it will benefit both teams.

Thank you for all the updates. I am excited for this year on the mats!

Good much needed depth for the room.
I was a little bored so I dug into these 2 285 pounders and here is what I got.

Alex Esposito (Cranford) finished 7th this year (only year he placed) came into States seeded 4th with a 29-0 record. Went 4-2 at states to finish the season at 33-2.

Dylan D'Amore (Montgomery) Finished 5th in 2016, and 3rd this past year, came into States with a 34-1 record and went 6-1 at states to finish 40-2 on the season. Of note he had wins at States over the 2 guys that beat Esposito at States.

Don't know much about Esposito but have seen D'Amore wrestle a few times and think he has potential to help. He's got legit heavyweight size and is very solid wrestler.

Reactions: PSUPOWER
Talked to Espo today at practice as I saw him graduate with my granddaughter from Cranford Thursday night. Nice kid and has a big frame that needs to be filled out. The strength and conditioning coach will do wonders with him as the S & C coach is really good. He worked with Normandia and Razohnn. Have not seen D'Amore yet but he is a big boy as I saw him in a football uniform. Both have good potential when Gross graduates.

Talked to Espo today at practice as I saw him graduate with my granddaughter from Cranford Thursday night. Nice kid and has a big frame that needs to be filled out. The strength and conditioning coach will do wonders with him as the S & C coach is really good. He worked with Normandia and Razohnn. Have not seen D'Amore yet but he is a big boy as I saw him in a football uniform. Both have good potential when Gross graduates.

Nice to see a Cranford kid representing us. Esposito never really faced any competition until he got to states. Steamrolled through the season, mostly with quick pins. Athletic, played a lot of sports over the years. Will probably benefit from focusing on one sport. He's a big boy.

to be the first national champ for your home state's school and kick off what is becoming the next power program... It doesn't get better than that.

I know right now some schools are better equipped to prepare guys for the olympics, but we've seen gold medalists come out of places not named Iowa and penn st plenty of times before. (And we're in freekin NJ, with close access to an incredible amount of training - more than wrestlers from just about anywhere in America)

The question is - Do the Surianos believe you can develop into a national champ - and MORE - at Rutgers? The answer is definitely YES and I couldn't be more excited than to see our program finally crack the elite levels .. Its been a long time coming

Reactions: RU93
I am rooting for this to happen more than us landing any other recruit in any other sport. If this actually happens the program will blow up. I mean it is already great but something like this would give us a chance to crack the top 5 quickly IMO. Especially if he can somehow wrestle next season. Imagine getting to see him and Ash. Season tickets would explode.

Yes he could sit out next year and and redshirt and still have 3 years left. I would be shocked.
Here is the Big Ten Rule. He would have to sit out the year and and have 2 years of eligibility left. The only exception would be if Penn State were to grant him a full waiver.

Here are the specific Big Ten intraconference transfer rules from the conference.

Intraconference Transfer Rules.

1. Pre-Matriculation. A prospective student-athlete who has signed a tender from a Conference institution and has not yet triggered transfer status per NCAA Bylaw 14.5.2 (conditions affecting transfer status), is subject to the following intraconference transfer requirements:
a. Signed National Letter of Intent. A prospective student-athlete who signs a valid National Letter of Intent (NLI) with a Conference institution but subsequently enrolls at an alternate Big Ten institution shall be required to complete one (1) full year of residence at the alternate (i.e., certifying) Big Ten institution and shall be charged with the loss of one (1) season of eligibility in all sports. These penalties shall be applied regardless of any decision made by the NLI Steering Committee on behalf of the prospective student-athlete.
1. Exception – Complete Release by Signing Institution. If the Big Ten institution at which the prospective student-athlete originally signed the NLI grants a “Complete Release” from the NLI, the prospect shall be permitted to enroll at any other Conference institution without penalty.
2. Exception – NLI Declared Null and Void. Should the NLI become null and void prior to the prospective student-athlete’s matriculation, the prospective student-athlete shall be free to enroll at any other Conference institution without penalty.
b. Signed Tender without National Letter of Intent. A prospective student-athlete that signs a valid tender with a Conference institution but subsequently enrolls at an alternate Big Ten institution shall be required to complete one (1) full academic year of residence at the alternate (i.e., certifying) Big Ten institution and shall be charged with the loss of one (1) season of eligibility in all sports. Upon mutual agreement of the two involved Conference institutions, this penalty shall be waived by the Chair of the Academics and Eligibility Subcommittee.

2. Post Matriculation. A student-athlete that has signed a tender from a Conference institution and has triggered transfer status per NCAA Bylaw 14.5.2 (conditions affecting transfer status), may not represent an alternate Big Ten institution in intercollegiate athletics competition until the individual has completed one (1) full academic year of residence at the alternate (i.e.,
certifying) Big Ten institution and shall be charged with the loss of one (1) season of eligibility in all sports.

3. Pre- and Post-Matriculation Exceptions
a. Cancellation of Tender Due to Inadmissibility. When a prospective student-athlete is inadmissible to the institution for which a tender has been accepted, the tender shall be considered null and void and the intraconference transfer penalty does not apply.
b. Dropped Sport. When a Conference institution drops the student-athlete’s sport in which the student-athlete has participated, the intraconference penalty does not apply.

Here is the Big Ten Rule. He would have to sit out the year and and have 2 years of eligibility left. The only exception would be if Penn State were to grant him a full waiver.

Here are the specific Big Ten intraconference transfer rules from the conference.

1. Pre-Matriculation. A prospective student-athlete who has signed a tender from a Conference institution and has not yet triggered transfer status per NCAA Bylaw 14.5.2 (conditions affecting transfer status), is subject to the following intraconference transfer requirements:
a. Signed National Letter of Intent. A prospective student-athlete who signs a valid National Letter of Intent (NLI) with a Conference institution but subsequently enrolls at an alternate Big Ten institution shall be required to complete one (1) full year of residence at the alternate (i.e., certifying) Big Ten institution and shall be charged with the loss of one (1) season of eligibility in all sports. These penalties shall be applied regardless of any decision made by the NLI Steering Committee on behalf of the prospective student-athlete.
1. Exception – Complete Release by Signing Institution. If the Big Ten institution at which the prospective student-athlete originally signed the NLI grants a “Complete Release” from the NLI, the prospect shall be permitted to enroll at any other Conference institution without penalty.
2. Exception – NLI Declared Null and Void. Should the NLI become null and void prior to the prospective student-athlete’s matriculation, the prospective student-athlete shall be free to enroll at any other Conference institution without penalty.
b. Signed Tender without National Letter of Intent. A prospective student-athlete that signs a valid tender with a Conference institution but subsequently enrolls at an alternate Big Ten institution shall be required to complete one (1) full academic year of residence at the alternate (i.e., certifying) Big Ten institution and shall be charged with the loss of one (1) season of eligibility in all sports. Upon mutual agreement of the two involved Conference institutions, this penalty shall be waived by the Chair of the Academics and Eligibility Subcommittee.

a. Cancellation of Tender Due to Inadmissibility. When a prospective student-athlete is inadmissible to the institution for which a tender has been accepted, the tender shall be considered null and void and the intraconference transfer penalty does not apply.
b. Dropped Sport. When a Conference institution drops the student-athlete’s sport in which the student-athlete has participated, the intraconference penalty does not apply.
If he has a redshirt year, then isn't that the 1 year he loses next season, so he still has 3 years left to wrestle after that? That's how I read the below & I'm pretty sure that's correct, as he doesn't lose 2 years.

2. Post Matriculation. A student-athlete that has signed a tender from a Conference institution and has triggered transfer status per NCAA Bylaw 14.5.2 (conditions affecting transfer status), may not represent an alternate Big Ten institution in intercollegiate athletics competition until the individual has completed one (1) full academic year of residence at the alternate (i.e.,
certifying) Big Ten institution and shall be charged with the loss of one (1) season of eligibility in all sports.

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/37525-stevan-micic-granted-4-years-of-eligibility#.WVWuIpApCEc

Reactions: Jersey Boys
If he has a redshirt year, then isn't that the 1 year he loses next season, so he still has 3 years left to wrestle after that? That's how I read the below & I'm pretty sure that's correct, as he doesn't lose 2 years.

Unless he is granted a exception he would sit out next year. After that he would have 3 years to wrestle 2 years. The one season of eligibility is one of the 4 years to compete.

Unless he is granted a exception he would sit out next year. After that he would have 3 years to wrestle 2 years. The one season of eligibility is one of the 4 years to compete.
Are you sure about that? I don't read the rule as losing 2 years, if you have a redshirt available. Do you have an example showing this?

Are you sure? I don't read it that way so I'm looking for an example showing that.
Yes. It could be done, BUT it requires an exception (and a release by original school, which is another issue but usually is not a problem). Micic was granted that but had to go through the appeal process.

wng is wired in, but is not doing anyone on this board any favors. This is wishful thinking. There are a few of you guys headed for a big letdown.

The team is good and pointed in the right direction. Going to take a bit more though before it climbs another level.

IMO..I can't see any school issuing a waiver (to a kid that competed) unless there is a coaching change or extenuating circumstances (off field issues, family situation, etc).

Think about it..would Rutgers have given Ashnault a full release after they spent so much time, money and coaching on him?

This is why I think the Lugo thing has been taking so long. Edinboro trained him for 2 years, paid money and now they gonna just let him go?

Yes. It could be done, BUT it requires an exception (and a release by original school, which is another issue but usually is not a problem). Micic was granted that but had to go through the appeal process.

wng is wired in, but is not doing anyone on this board any favors. This is wishful thinking. There are a few of you guys headed for a big letdown.

The team is good and pointed in the right direction. Going to take a bit more though before it climbs another level.
Micic already redshirted, whereas Suriano hasn't, so I still don't understand why any exception is needed when the B1G rule states that you lose 1 year of eligibility & the B1G defines eligibility as a 5 year period in its bylaws. I'm not holding my breath that he comes & don't expect it to workout, so I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does.

IMO..I can't see any school issuing a waiver (to a kid that competed) unless there is a coaching change or extenuating circumstances (off field issues, family situation, etc).

Think about it..would Rutgers have given Ashnault a full release after they spent so much time, money and coaching on him?

This is why I think the Lugo thing has been taking so long. Edinboro trained him for 2 years, paid money and now they gonna just let him go?

Lugo can go and Edinboro cannot really do anything, he has not redshirted yet. Suriano could go somewhere else outside the Big10 and use his redshirt

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT