ADVERTISEMENT

wrestling news

Status
Not open for further replies.
The kid has a lot to say for someone who is going to his 3rd school. And he is about a 500 college wrestler and would not have started at Lock Haven next season. IMHO would have come off better just saying "It was not a good fit for me" By the way his younger brother has been at 3 different High Schools in PA, so maybe the family is a little nuts!!
Yes, it would've been better to take the high road. Nonetheless, the fact that he unloaded on the Marsteller situation is food for thought for those wanting another certain transfer here.

I have no problem with what Duggan said. Didn't seem malicious. BTW, he has a tie to RU. His sister dates former RU wrestler Mike Simmons.

Fair enough. I was referring to Duggan's comments about Marstellar but your point is well taken. What's interesting is that he had nothing bad to say about the staff at WVU when he left. He just said the school wasn't the right fit for him.

I agree with diceman99. I also believe we should not be posting about girlfriends of former wrestlers or about a wrestler's medical conditions. I would not want my girlfriend or medical condition discussed on a forum. Hopefully, we can keep views and comments to wrestling. Who is everyone picking to make the World Team this weekend? Do you like Jordan or Kyle?

I don't like Jordan Oliver. Out of competition due to taking a banned substance. Glad they caught him.

I agree with diceman99. I also believe we should not be posting about girlfriends of former wrestlers or about a wrestler's medical conditions. I would not want my girlfriend or medical condition discussed on a forum. Hopefully, we can keep views and comments to wrestling. Who is everyone picking to make the World Team this weekend? Do you like Jordan or Kyle?

A potentially significant injury to a current RU wrestler is directly wrestling related and a relevant topic of discussion. Mentioning an RU connection via a girlfriend to a wrestler in another post is probably not relevant. In either case as long as no disparaging comments are made towards the wrestlers or their significant others I don't see the issue.

I don't like Jordan Oliver. Out of competition due to taking a banned substance. Glad they caught him.
I DO like Jordan Oliver. A very affable young man.

As far as the doping allegations, why don't we reserve judgement until we hear the facts - which we will. By accounts so far it was not a steroid, HGH or masking drug. While people can use stimulants to gain an edge, they also can be ingested inadvertently or prescription drugs. Of course it also could have been a diuretic given his history with the weught. It could have been intentional or it could have been a mistake. I'll wait until I get more facts before weighing in with judgement.

Reactions: VRE
World Team Trials today from Lincoln , Nebraska. (On pay site Flowrestling)

Brackets:
http://arena.flowrestling.org/event/bba14be0-d95d-25f8-432a-56cb2ba90ee8

Wrestlers of note for NJ & RU fans:
Tyler Graff (SKWC) & Frankie Perrelli (Delbarton HS/Hacketstown, Cornell, SKWC ?) (57 KG)

Mario Mason (RU, Blair ) (65 Kg)

Zach Rey - Heavywt. (Hopatcong HS, Lehigh)

Schedule today :
Current Section

Saturday, June 10

SESSION I-Preliminaries, Quarterfinals, Semifinals, Challenge Finals/Consolations and 3rd Place, Challenge Tournament Finals, True Second Place Matches from Challenge Tournament

10:00 AM - 3:00 PM

SESSION II-Final World Team Trials – Best of 3 Series (Rd # 1, Rd # 2 and Rd # 3(If Needed)

6:00 PM - 8:00 PM

Presentation of the 2017 WORLD Championship Team

Following the Conclusion of Competition

Last edited:
2 former New Jersey Public school wrestlers make the World Team. Jordan Burroughs from Winslow Twp. and James Greene from Willingboro. Southern Regional (Manahawkin) wrestler and former RU asst. Frank Molinaro was 2nd.

"Coveted blue chipper Justin Mejia will not be attending the University of Illinois next year. The four-time California state champ --only the second wrestler in history to accomplish this feat-- recently tweeted that he was denied admission to the University of Illinois and will be considering other options for the 2017-18 season. "
http://www.flowrestling.org/article...linois-considering-other-options#.WUUhCJ8pBnF

Is he going to Iowa? We should jump in, if not.

Reactions: bigmatt718
"Coveted blue chipper Justin Mejia will not be attending the University of Illinois next year. The four-time California state champ --only the second wrestler in history to accomplish this feat-- recently tweeted that he was denied admission to the University of Illinois and will be considering other options for the 2017-18 season. "
http://www.flowrestling.org/article...linois-considering-other-options#.WUUhCJ8pBnF

Is he going to Iowa? We should jump in, if not.
What weight is he? RU has an Ivy League academic reputation in Cali...let's get him. We have a ton of alums in both NorCal and SoCal and CA residents all think RU is an elite school academically on par with the Ivies, so maybe Goodale can sell him on that.

What weight is he? RU has an Ivy League academic reputation in Cali...let's get him. We have a ton of alums in both NorCal and SoCal and CA residents all think RU is an elite school academically on par with the Ivies, so maybe Goodale can sell him on that.
133. Ranked 42nd overall. Went to Clovis & also won Doc Buchanon. I wonder of Fresno St pushes hard for him & if he'd listen.

I'm sure Coach knows what an "application error" is and the usual rest of the story. Thankfully, he is running the show. $$$$

Reactions: obrats
My guess is he wants to follow Mark Perry. Rutgers probably not on his radar.

Reactions: Leonard23
Practice was quite spirited today. Watching Richie Lewis wrestle Donny is like watching Picasso paint. If he stays healthy this year he has a chance to be our national champ. Montel Marion was in the room and I sure hope he stays. Worked with everyone. Blair kids Robinson and Cannon there and look great. Our commit Benner from Ocean looked good. Malcolm's dad was there and is a nice guy. Malcom is solid to RU.

Practice was quite spirited today. Watching Richie Lewis wrestle Donny is like watching Picasso paint. If he stays healthy this year he has a chance to be our national champ. Montel Marion was in the room and I sure hope he stays. Worked with everyone. Blair kids Robinson and Cannon there and look great. Our commit Benner from Ocean looked good. Malcolm's dad was there and is a nice guy. Malcom is solid to RU.
I'd love to see Lewis take down Nolf at 157.

http://centenarycyclones.com/news/2...-greco-roman-all-american.aspx?path=wrestling

Donovan Becomes Centenary’s First Greco Roman All-American
6/5/2017 12:51:00 PM

image_handler.aspx

AKRON, OHIO (Jun. 5, 2017)- Sophomore Alec Donovan (Brick, N.J. / Brick Memorial) became Centenary University's first Greco-Roman All-American at UWW Cadet & University Nationals at the University of Akron this past weekend.

"We are extremely proud of Alec in representing Centenary University on his way to becoming an All-American in Greco Roman Wrestling", said Head Coach John Garriques.

Donovan took 8th place in the University Greco-Roman Nationals and squared off with wrestlers from D1, D2, D3, NJCAA and NAIA schools from across the country.

Alec also completed in the University Freestyle Nationals, where he went 2-2, falling to Van Brill of Rutgers University in his final match of the weekend.

Donovan had a stellar season for the Cyclones, collecting a single season record 32 victories, including a single season record 19 pinfalls for the wrestling team that went 11-3 and posted a No. 19 national ranking during the 2016-17 campaign. Alec was also named Centenary Athletics Male Rookie of the Year in May.

Those 11 victories were the second highest in program history as Coach Garriques will look to close on 100 career wins during the 2017-18 season.

Love hearing all this Bill. For some reason I was scared about Robinson flipping.

WNG - You are our biggest fan. Your enthusiasm is infectious. Sometimes it seems that your love of our guys may get in the way of objectively. Do you really thing Lewis can beat Nolf? Coach Goodale has said that Nolf may be the most talented wrestler in college.

WNG - You are our biggest fan. Your enthusiasm is infectious. Sometimes it seems that your love of our guys may get in the way of objectively. Do you really thing Lewis can beat Nolf? Coach Goodale has said that Nolf may be the most talented wrestler in college.

If anyone can beat Nolf, it might be Richie Lewis. I just hope that Lewis, Ashnault and Gravina are healthy.

I don't know if Lewis can beat Nolf but Richie thinks he can so that is what matters to me. Watching him in practice these past few weeks showed me another level so that is what I base my appraisal. Gravina's shoulder is getting better and he looked strong and good. Mike Van Brill also has impressed me and he has bulked up substantially. The fact that he beat Jack tells me all I need to know. DeLuca is working out in the West Coast so when he gets back in the room he and Mike will have a war. I will pay to see them go at it. I may be our biggest fan but I am a realist. If I feel.something based upon what I see, then I will predict. Right now Lewis is a man among boys. I loved seeing the recruits like Robinson and Benner in there. Obrats, Malcom is solid so ease your mind. Had a nice talk with him and is a great kid.

I don't know if Lewis can beat Nolf but Richie thinks he can so that is what matters to me. Watching him in practice these past few weeks showed me another level so that is what I base my appraisal. Gravina's shoulder is getting better and he looked strong and good. Mike Van Brill also has impressed me and he has bulked up substantially. The fact that he beat Jack tells me all I need to know. DeLuca is working out in the West Coast so when he gets back in the room he and Mike will have a war. I will pay to see them go at it. I may be our biggest fan but I am a realist. If I feel.something based upon what I see, then I will predict. Right now Lewis is a man among boys. I loved seeing the recruits like Robinson and Benner in there. Obrats, Malcom is solid so ease your mind. Had a nice talk with him and is a great kid.
How do the upperweights, Mulligan, Correnti and Gross look in practice? I loved that Goodale got Wilkins from the football team to train with the big guys.

Thrilled to see these posts from WNG concerning Robinson. Make it happen. Glasgow and Robinson will be the future faces of this program.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Why would Paetzall transfer if it was just an inbound recruit? A recruit would have 3 years of separation. I don't care how we explain his leaving, but its not based solely on a recruit.

Why would Paetzall transfer if it was just an inbound recruit? A recruit would have 3 years of separation. I don't care how we explain his leaving, but its not based solely on a recruit.

He probably couldn't beat out Alex Mackall?

Whether he could beat him out or not (and from what I've heard, they aren't too far apart), I thought the idea this year was to redshirt Paetzell anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT