ADVERTISEMENT

wrestling news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ashnault will not wrestle. Hurt his shoulder when they landed out of bounds in his last match he won 12-1. No need to hurt it more.

Ashnault will not wrestle. Hurt his shoulder when they landed out of bounds in his last match he won 12-1. No need to hurt it more.
I was afraid of that. When he got hurt during the match Ash
Reacted like it was a very serious injury even though he continued.
Since it's a shoulder injury better to act with caution.

They will have it checked when they come home. I thought it was bad when they scrambled out of bounds as he screamed. Coaches and someone looked at him and he exercised his shoulder. I think score was 6 or 8-1 at the time. Sucks.

Gravina hurt now too. Was up 4-0 on Myles Martin. Looked like he dislocated something but I turned the match on late and didn't see.

I am worried about gravina next season. He seems to keep getting hurt.

Gravina' shoulder popped out as they were locked up on their feet. Strange. I too think he would have won. Grello and MVB both got teched. Kuntler is a beast and Erickson looked huge over MVB. I think Ash would have beat his kid and got Thorn in semis. Heil got killed 11-0 against the Arizona kid.

Quick google search, IOC terminology (ODF Common Codes):

TP: Technical Points obtained
CP: Classification Points
EV: Disqualification from the whole competition due to infringement of the rules
EX: 3 cautions due to error against the rules (for all the bout)
PO: Decision by Points - the loser without technical points
PP: Decision by Points - the loser with technical points
SP: Victory by Technical Superiority with the loser scoring technical points
ST: Great Superiority - a difference of 8 (Greco-Roman) or 10 (Freestyle) technical points - the loser without points
VA: Victory by Withdrawal
VB: Victory by Injury
VF: Victory by Forfeit
VT: Victory by Fall

http://odf.olympictech.org/2016-Rio/codes/HTML/odf_codes_OG/html/odf_sc_WR.htm

So Kevin Mulligan competed this past weekend at 86 kg which translates to 189.2 pounds. Despite his very high skill level, he could potentially have a difficult time dealing with the strength of the bigger guys who diet down to make the 197 limit. I'm hoping for a great off season of strength training and packing on muscle so he can deal with the bigger guys throughout the regular season. If size and strength are not issues, I think that his skill level is high enough to be an upper echelon 197 pounder in the Big Ten next year.

So Kevin Mulligan competed this past weekend at 86 kg which translates to 189.2 pounds. Despite his very high skill level, he could potentially have a difficult time dealing with the strength of the bigger guys who diet down to make the 197 limit. I'm hoping for a great off season of strength training and packing on muscle so he can deal with the bigger guys throughout the regular season. If size and strength are not issues, I think that his skill level is high enough to be an upper echelon 197 pounder in the Big Ten next year.
It's not always that easy to pack on muscle, some body types just don't take to it.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
I would like to see mulligan at 184. I am worried about gravinas shoulder and I think 184 could be his best weight. Then keep MC at 197. I line him there.

Anymore news on Downey?

Downey has to graduate to be eligible to participate at a school not on ISU's schedule in Spring Semester '18 only. So even if we are a possibility for him, we won't know for awhile. The only school he could wrestle for in the Fall semester would be ISU.

University Nationals is a day before weigh-in despite the fact that UWW competitions have now gone to day of weigh-ins. Making 184 scratch for an entire season day of, including 2 day and 3 day in a row weigh-ins, is far different than weighing in 189.2 for a day before weigh-in.

That said, who knows what he weighed in at - track didn't carry it, so weigh-ins are unavailable. But I wouldn't surmise that he is ill suited for 197 just because he weighed in at 189 for this event. J'Den Cox does the same thing and he is one of the largest 197s you'll find.

Ran into AA and parents just now at HSS in NYC. Respected their privacy, just chatted in general about the upcoming season.

Just saying they were at HSS lets the cat out of the bag a bit. No biggie i guess ,'lets all keep fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

Ran into AA and parents just now at HSS in NYC. Respected their privacy, just chatted in general about the upcoming season.
OMG+girl.gif

<<Moderator note: please avoid posting pictures with obscenities in them>>

slide_423092_5431938_free.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems to me you didn't respect their privacy enough.
I wouldn't have posted anything if it weren't already mentioned in this thread that his shoulder was being checked out at home, and I assumed that's what was happening. He was being checked out.

I wouldn't have posted anything if it weren't already mentioned in this thread that his shoulder was being checked out at home, and I assumed that's what was happening. He was being checked out.

well since u let the "cat out of the bag" can u at least tell us what he had for dinner???? [roll][roll][roll][roll][roll]

<<Moderator note: please avoid posting pictures with obscenities in them>>
Really? A mod deleted a gif that used the f word? That's new...

Anyway, Pat Duggan is transferring from Lock Haven to Iowa (was previously at WVU) & said that Lock Haven's handling of Marsteller was 1 of the main reasons (note he isn't back on the LH team):
http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/06/patrick_duggan_seeks_to_reinve.html

Duggan offered a scathing review of the Lock Haven coaching staff on his way out the door. He said he was conflicted by some of the choices Scott Moore and his staff made, one of which was Duggan's assertion that they opened the door for Chance Marsteller on two separate occasions.

"I just didn't want to be part of the Lock Haven program," Duggan said. "I really don't like the coaching staff. I'm not sure they want to do the right things. I think they have a terrible moral backbone."

Marsteller landed at Lock Haven after he left Oklahoma State on unfavorable terms and was booted from the Lock Haven team last August following an ugly incident. He got seven years probation after pleading guilty to charges of simple assault and open lewdness. Marsteller resisted arrest and repeatedly banged his head on the floor at Lock Haven Hospital, causing himself to bleed. He was also physical with arresting officers and spat blood at them, police said.

"[The Marsteller incident] is just icing on the cake," Duggan said. "I really hope he does well. I wish nothing against him. I think it's great he's doing what he loves to do, but he also got in trouble at Oklahoma State and the coaches knew about that. He came onto the team. He messed up once, 'Oh, well.' He came back on.

"What he did was absolutely terrible. It's just the fact they allow him back on the team. They started getting recruits that would have been cancers to the program. I just don't know what these guys are thinking. These kids shouldn't even be there because of grades or they've gotten kicked out of other schools because of crimes they committed. I just don't understand why."

Lock Haven pushed back against Duggan's accusations and asserted that Marsteller is not on the team, rather back on Lock Haven's campus on his own and competing for the Bald Eagles' club team. Moore was unaware of Duggan's transfer destination until he was informed Wednesday evening.

"We're now aware he's transferring, and we wish him nothing but the best and hope for good things," Lock Haven spokesman Douglas Spatafore said. "As far as the accusations, we believe they're unfounded. Coach Moore and the team are operating as they should be.

"Chance isn't back on the team. Chance came back to school the second semester completely on his own. He had to go through the process of getting back into Lock Haven. He had to pay his own way. Everything he did was completely on his own with the hopes he can rejoin the team next year."

Duggan is set to enroll in his third school in as many seasons, and the public perception of his decisions is not lost on him. He never found his comfort zone at West Virginia, where he signed as the No. 36 recruit in the country. Lock Haven felt like a more natural fit with a move closer to home, but that relationship soured midway through the 2016-'17 season.

"I used to care a lot what people think," Duggan said. "Now, I'm sure people are thinking I'm crazy for doing this, but I really don't care. It motivates me even more."

Really? A mod deleted a gif that used the f word? That's new...

Anyway, Pat Duggan is transferring from Lock Haven to Iowa (was previously at WVU) & said that Lock Haven's handling of Marsteller was 1 of the main reasons (note he isn't back on the LH team):
http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/06/patrick_duggan_seeks_to_reinve.html

Duggan offered a scathing review of the Lock Haven coaching staff on his way out the door. He said he was conflicted by some of the choices Scott Moore and his staff made, one of which was Duggan's assertion that they opened the door for Chance Marsteller on two separate occasions.

"I just didn't want to be part of the Lock Haven program," Duggan said. "I really don't like the coaching staff. I'm not sure they want to do the right things. I think they have a terrible moral backbone."

Marsteller landed at Lock Haven after he left Oklahoma State on unfavorable terms and was booted from the Lock Haven team last August following an ugly incident. He got seven years probation after pleading guilty to charges of simple assault and open lewdness. Marsteller resisted arrest and repeatedly banged his head on the floor at Lock Haven Hospital, causing himself to bleed. He was also physical with arresting officers and spat blood at them, police said.

"[The Marsteller incident] is just icing on the cake," Duggan said. "I really hope he does well. I wish nothing against him. I think it's great he's doing what he loves to do, but he also got in trouble at Oklahoma State and the coaches knew about that. He came onto the team. He messed up once, 'Oh, well.' He came back on.

"What he did was absolutely terrible. It's just the fact they allow him back on the team. They started getting recruits that would have been cancers to the program. I just don't know what these guys are thinking. These kids shouldn't even be there because of grades or they've gotten kicked out of other schools because of crimes they committed. I just don't understand why."

Lock Haven pushed back against Duggan's accusations and asserted that Marsteller is not on the team, rather back on Lock Haven's campus on his own and competing for the Bald Eagles' club team. Moore was unaware of Duggan's transfer destination until he was informed Wednesday evening.

"We're now aware he's transferring, and we wish him nothing but the best and hope for good things," Lock Haven spokesman Douglas Spatafore said. "As far as the accusations, we believe they're unfounded. Coach Moore and the team are operating as they should be.

"Chance isn't back on the team. Chance came back to school the second semester completely on his own. He had to go through the process of getting back into Lock Haven. He had to pay his own way. Everything he did was completely on his own with the hopes he can rejoin the team next year."

Duggan is set to enroll in his third school in as many seasons, and the public perception of his decisions is not lost on him. He never found his comfort zone at West Virginia, where he signed as the No. 36 recruit in the country. Lock Haven felt like a more natural fit with a move closer to home, but that relationship soured midway through the 2016-'17 season.

"I used to care a lot what people think," Duggan said. "Now, I'm sure people are thinking I'm crazy for doing this, but I really don't care. It motivates me even more."

The kid has a lot to say for someone who is going to his 3rd school. And he is about a 500 college wrestler and would not have started at Lock Haven next season. IMHO would have come off better just saying "It was not a good fit for me" By the way his younger brother has been at 3 different High Schools in PA, so maybe the family is a little nuts!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT