ADVERTISEMENT

Wtf was Hyatt doing. Why did he pass it backwards

Not when you have OPEN FLOOR IN FRONT OF YOU AND THEY ARE ALL BACK COURT!!!
agree, but maybe the coaches F'ed it up ? What's more likely ? Being told to get it to a guard ? Or Hyatt's decision ?

Hyatt probably has the worst basketball IQ I've ever seen in a human. Literally his brain turned off at half court with nobody within 20 feet of him. If he runs to the other side, there is one guy near cliff, so you either draw him out and pass it to cliff, or wait for the other 4 guys to run down court and foul you.. he throws it backwards towards their goal.

In case any of you are wondering whether Hyatt was doing what the coaches told him or whatever, Pikiell absolutely threw Hyatt under the bus in the postgame interview. "I have no idea what he was thinking" or something to that effect. Pike never does that, which is how you know how bad it was. Like, leave the program bad.

it was clear no one wanted to shoot FTs. That’s why it was a game of hot potato. I’m 99% certain Simpson wouldn’t pass that ball up like PM and Hyatt. This is all on coaching.
I’ve said it all year with this team. Nobody wants the ball.

Reactions: Rokodesh
it was clear no one wanted to shoot FTs. That’s why it was a game of hot potato. I’m 99% certain Simpson wouldn’t pass that ball up like PM and Hyatt. This is all on coaching.
Gotta agree. Simpson would have wanted it. Love his confidence. Jacob Young like but I think more under control.

Reactions: Rokodesh
Been saying this for the past 5 games; Simpson needed to be in the game the last 5 minutes. He‘a one of the only guys who actually wants the ball in his hands.
Again I will say that I think coach was thinking defense at that point
He wanted the bigger stronger players in
Of course Simpson seems to be a good foul shooter, A reason to have him in on offense

Reactions: MiloTalon13
It was a terrible decision by Hyatt but we also almost had multiple backcourt violations in that last minute.

It’s like the entire team completely forgot how to play basketball in all aspects in the last 70-80 seconds.
ESPN game cast showed us at 98.6% odds to win up 10 points with 1:15 left. Almost impossible to lose that game without trying to.

In case any of you are wondering whether Hyatt was doing what the coaches told him or whatever, Pikiell absolutely threw Hyatt under the bus in the postgame interview. "I have no idea what he was thinking" or something to that effect. Pike never does that, which is how you know how bad it was. Like, leave the program bad.
Nobody was wondering whether the coaches told him to throw it backwards with under a minute left up 3 in a 2 on 1 with double bonus just before he crossed half court

Nobody was wondering whether the coaches told him to throw it backwards with under a minute left up 3 in a 2 on 1 with double bonus just before he crossed half court
Did coach tell Paul you can’t dribble the ball at the end. Dribble through and get the foul.

Dude just dribble up the court and get fouled
Hyatt basically did exactly what is taught.

2:48

1:30

Paul immediately grabs the ball instead of letting it sit to allow guys to get set, look where cam and Caleb are.

Hyatt certainly could have dribbled up the floor but the rule is usually the guy who makes the catch in the middle of the floor doesn't dribble he turns and faces and whatever defender pursues him he passes to the area he abandoned. Which it looks like that’s exactly what he did.

Why Paul was the guy there instead of cam is a question mark. Looks like him and McConnell both got buried in the corner.

Paul immediately grabs the ball instead of letting it sit to allow guys to get set, look where cam and Caleb are.

Hyatt certainly could have dribbled up the floor but the rule is usually the guy who makes the catch in the middle of the floor doesn't dribble he turns and faces and whatever defender pursues him he passes to the area he abandoned. Which it looks like that’s exactly what he did.

Why Paul was the guy there instead of cam is a question mark. Looks like him and McConnell both got buried in the corner.
Lol.

After the turnover and the missed 3, #22 blatantly fouled Caleb on the rebound attempt that went oob

How to beat a 1-2-2 press?

Minnesota had 4 players on our baseline lol stop

In general, you want to get the ball to your guards, but in that scenario you have to realize what is happening on the court. This is his 5th year in college and it's not like he's a center

Reactions: bethlehemfan
How to beat a 1-2-2 press?

Minnesota had 4 players on our baseline lol stop

In general, you want to get the ball to your guards, but in that scenario you have to realize what is happening on the court. This is his 5th year in college and it's not like he's a center
Don't think anyone has touched on the fact this sequence was in trouble from the start because Paul didn't allow time for cam and Caleb to get set.

Paul compounded things because once Hyatt passed to him the defense left Hyatt wide open Paul should have passed it back to him.

Hyatt really deserves the least of the blame here. I think we witnessed in the most game a clear case of Pikiell protecting “his guy”. Regardless the game was not lost on hyatts decision.

Don't think anyone has touched on the fact this sequence was in trouble from the start because Paul didn't allow time for cam and Caleb to get set.

Paul compounded things because once Hyatt passed to him the defense left Hyatt wide open Paul should have passed it back to him.

Hyatt really deserves the least of the blame here. I think we witnessed in the most game a clear case of Pikiell protecting “his guy”. Regardless the game was not lost on hyatts decision.
Paul would have never been able to throw that terrible pass if Hyatt just turned and dribbled up court

Caleb made an excellent game winning pass from a double team in the corner to Hyatt. That should have ended the game

Not Hyatt’s fault. He tried to get it to his guards - PM made maybe the stupidest play I’ve seen in a very long time.
Nope, Hyatts job there is to catch and face the basket, which he never did. If he does this he would have seen he had a clear opening. Meanwhile, seeing Hyatt receive the pass Mulcahy should have filled the right lane and not stayed back. He would have been wide open. Instead he stays back and inexplicably throws a cross court pass to Spencer which doesn't even move the ball forward. Doing all of this correctly is on the staff only. You've only had since October to practice it.

I thought about that. Insane
Paul waited until there was nowhere to throw the ball instead of getting it out immediately. He does it every time, and forces some awful passes. Caleb was wide open across the court before he waited and throws a weak interception.

Waiting for the offense to get set is waiting for the defense to get set too.
I know some coaches teach that, but it's silly to fault someone for getting the ball to a teammate near halfcourt with four defenders behind him.

Watch some grammar school hoops - tons of coaches telling their bigger players NOT to dribble the ball and give it back to the guards ASAP.

Haha yes guilty. But in fairness that's because those kids literally can't dribble. I'm pretty sure Hyatt can dribble across midcourt

Haha yes guilty. But in fairness that's because those kids literally can't dribble. I'm pretty sure Hyatt can dribble across midcourt
LOL - yes agreed.
I hate seeing that kind of thing with young kids because coaches should teach everyone to dribble.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT