ADVERTISEMENT

"You don’t pull off upsets by playing it safe."

you don't pull off too many upsets by starting 40% of your first half drive inside your own 8 yard line either........ but, we came pretty close....

We were down two scores with the ball midway through the fourth quarter.

Great coaching to get us in that position.

You don't pull off upsets with bad special teams plays and surrendering field position.

Everybody defending the bad play calls w the punts. What does a punt have to do with terrible calls on short distance plays? Just accept there were at least 5 key terrible calls. Again. Most of Kills game plan was pretty damn spot on. MOST.

I loved what the offense was doing in the first half (till that last drive). Kill did a great job keeping the UW offense off the field. Second half? I don't know, seemed like everyone was happy with a 20 point loss. It was just odd that we didn't try any slants or anything between 10-15 yards.

We played a top 10 team toe-to-toe for the most part, and had a viable chance to win the game, (and very well could have if we didn't, essentially, beat ourselves by untimely mistakes). -But even with the loss, this team looked night and day better/different from the team that UW completely and absolutely crushed a year ago.

Yet, quite a bit of second guessing is in effect, which I guess is only natural. ...But in terms of that, if we'd gone for it on those 4th downs and didn't convert, questions about why we risked that would no doubt be on the board.

The fact of the matter is the coaching staff had a plan, (and yes...it was a conservative plan), to keep Washington's offensive unit off the field as much as possible and they succeeded since, in the end, time of possession was in our favor. -And who, exactly, is happy with a loss?? I know I'm sure as hell not, especially since the possibility to post a "W" was definitely there.

What I am happy about, though, is the distinct improvement I saw and the feeling it gave me that this staff and team are on the right track. -And for the first game against a team that might, (again I say might), possibly be in the mix to contend for a national championship by the end of the 2017 season, the improvement I saw from RU Friday night is something I'll gladly take.

Reactions: RutgHoops
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT