ADVERTISEMENT

39 yds passing.

what would being more balanced have done for us against Indiana?

Scored more points.

I get what he's saying. Gavin was 5 for 12 for 39. The inaccuracy couldn't have been more evident and it's a concern. There are teams on the schedule much better at defending the run than Indiana and our inability to throw the ball will box us in.

It's a concern.

Scored more points.

I get what he's saying. Gavin was 5 for 12 for 39. The inaccuracy couldn't have been more evident and it's a concern. There are teams on the schedule much better at defending the run than Indiana and our inability to throw the ball will box us in.

It's a concern.
Im not gonna disagree with yer assessment of Gavin. How ever he said we need to be more balanced.
So why would you want to have less running plays and more passing plays if yer assessment of our QB is correct?
What makes ya think we would score more points?

RU did rush for 276 yds, there wasn’t a great need to throw. You rush for 250+ and don’t commit a turnover, you will win a lot of games. Having said that, they are not going to be able to run for big yards against OSU,PSU and Iowa. They will need more balance and better passing. Wimsatt needs to improve on his processing and accuracy if RU is going to be top half of the conf. I’m not sure why he misses high so badly on middle field throws. That should be correctable with proper mechanics. He is going to throw picks throwing high over the middle. Better to miss low if anything.

Im not gonna disagree with yer assessment of Gavin. How ever he said we need to be more balanced.
So why would you want to have less running plays and more passing plays if yer assessment of our QB is correct?
Greg was speaking about balance couple weeks ago and he said balance does not mean 35 running plays and 35 passing plays per game , it means being able to run against an opponent when you have to in order to win and being able to pass when you have to win . Not having an almost equal amount of run/pass ratio per game.
Any chance Gavin has an injured hand, wrist, or shoulder that the staff hasn’t made public?
no

Greg was speaking about balance couple weeks ago and he said balance does not mean 35 running plays and 35 passing plays per game , it means being able to run against an opponent when you have to in order to win and being able to pass when you have to win . Not having an almost equal amount of run/pass ratio per game.

no
Backer I agree.
The post was what it is. I just cant figure out how less run and more pass gives us a gain in this game.
further down the road in a different game different opponent the circumstances will determine what that balance will be to win the game.

Backer I agree.
The post was what it is. I just cant figure out how less run and more pass gives us a gain in this game.
further down the road in a different game different opponent the circumstances will determine what that balance will be to win the game.
Remember these infamous words… “ each game takes on a life of it’s own.”

Greg’s strategy is use the players and plays that give you the best chance of winning the game. He is not as concerned as much about the margin as long as we win. Don’t you think he and the coaches are looking at every opponent individually as game week approaches and scheming against their strengths and weaknesses vs ours. If that means more passing, I’m sure that will be in the game plan.

Reactions: TRU2RU and RUbacker

That's not my point.

My point is that our inability to not have a more balanced offense behind this QB is a problem that will haunt us down the road.

31-14 I don't care whether he threw for 39 or 3.9 yds. They did what the needed to do, he hit a 4th down pass that kept a touchdown drive going. He threw for 180 last week, he did what he needed to do, two weeks from now he will need to do more, we will see what happens.

Was it Herm Edwards who said, 'you play to win the game'? Whoever said it, knows more football than anyone here. The idea holds water. Win the game. Don't give a rat's arse about stats or other ancillary crap.

Reactions: TRU2RU and RUbacker
Was it Herm Edwards who said, 'you play to win the game'? Whoever said it, knows more football than anyone here. The idea holds water. Win the game. Don't give a rat's arse about stats or other ancillary crap.

As long as we're picking nits, Herm Edwards had a .422 winning percentage as an NFL head coach and is one of the bigger assholes you'll ever meet.

That's not my point.

My point is that our inability to not have a more balanced offense behind this QB is a problem that will haunt us down the road.
I agree IF that is what happens. Yes it is a concern but Rutgers did what needed and had to win this critical game.
Bowl qualified and different defences coming up and a bye week. Let's see where we go from here.

It seems like common sense that, in order to compete with teams better than us, we must make those teams fear and protect against the pass, and that in turn helps open up the run

In years past, good teams dare us to pass, and we have not been up to the task

Seemed like it was mostly a matter of the staff realizing they could run it down Indiana’s throat, and Gavin having an off day. His first 6 or so throws were solid, just got dropped quite a lot. His later throws weren’t great, but his legs gave us the win.

Not too concerned, we obviously won’t beat OSU and will need better passing to beat Iowa, but a Maryland win is still doable with Gavin throwing for 150ish yards like he normally does, as long as the secondary does its job. We currently have a top 5 passing defense, albeit against the weaker part of our schedule.

Reactions: madchuck
Running eats clock and can keep possesion.
Indiana could barely get on the field
Running/passing - RU does that sideline look-delay after lining-up
RU played an Army game

8iTmgbS.jpg

Now that we are playing with house money, let's open up the passing game. Help Wimsatt go through his progressions and work on his mid to deep passing accuracy. Maybe we even connect on some deep passes against the Unbeatables. 😉

Reactions: RC1978
Perhaps we all can agree with that take however the fact we did what was needed to win is all that actually matters. If we passed for 270 and ran for 90 and lost would that satisfy you?

I would bet that if we passed for 390 yards and ran for 25 yards in a win plenty of people would say "We need to be able to run the ball better. Offense has to be balanced."

But, the relevant point is, he knows a shit ton more about football than you or I.

He was the keynote speaker at an internal League Office kickoff breakfast at the Waldorf one year.

Nobody in the room really thought much of him. The Jets went 6 - 10 that year.

RU did rush for 276 yds, there wasn’t a great need to throw. You rush for 250+ and don’t commit a turnover, you will win a lot of games. Having said that, they are not going to be able to run for big yards against OSU,PSU and Iowa. They will need more balance and better passing. Wimsatt needs to improve on his processing and accuracy if RU is going to be top half of the conf. I’m not sure why he misses high so badly on middle field throws. That should be correctable with proper mechanics. He is going to throw picks throwing high over the middle. Better to miss low if anything.
You have a bye week, extra week to prep Gavin on his mistakes and what he needs to do. I’m hoping he makes great strides having 8 games under his belt.

Reactions: RUGuitarMan
We beat the teams we were supposed to beat, which is not always an easy thing to do, with not much in the way of QB play. We will need him to step up and play like a legitimate P5 QB is we expect to win any of the next 5 games.

Running eats clock and can keep possesion.
Indiana could barely get on the field
Running/passing - RU does that sideline look-delay after lining-up
RU played an Army game

8iTmgbS.jpg
The term they use to describe it is a "winning game plan."

Personally, as long as what we do results in a "W" I don't care much about the pass/run ratio.

Yes, it's always important to know you can get yards through the air when needed. -But if we can post a win by beating the snot out of the other team by running it down their throats and they're not able to stop it, (even when they know it's coming), well, that works just fine by me too.

Last edited:
We beat the teams we were supposed to beat, which is not always an easy thing to do, with not much in the way of QB play. We will need him to step up and play like a legitimate P5 QB is we expect to win any of the next 5 games.
Exactly my point.

Personally, as long as what we do results in a "W" I don't care much about the pass/run ratio.

Yes, it's always important to know you can get yards through the air when needed. -But if beating the snot out of the other team by running it down their throats and they're not able to stop it, (even when they know it's coming), well, that works just fine by me too.
Lombardi's teams did it and he is considered by many to be one of the greatest coaches ever. There is nothing more sweet than your opponent knowing you are going to run and not being able to do anything to stop you. Ultimate demoralization....

Reactions: TRU2RU

no
SAY IT AGAIN!!!

Say It Again Jason Sudeikis GIF by Saturday Night Live

For those who are not football savvy.

Just because you watch football and know the rules doesn't mean you understand the nuances of the game.

Nothing makes a WR recruit want to commit to your program more than 39 yards passing against Indiana. We'd better embrace Schianoball and the Wing-RPO offense, lest we be looked at as ungrateful fans.

Army, Navy, and Air Force each had more passing yards Saturday.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Scored more points.

It's a concern.
Have you reviewed the every pass by Gavin thread? The inaccuracy was not particularly evident, except on a few passes, and it was a small sample size. Indiana is not Ohio State (of course), but Allar looked like absolute crap in the first half yesterday for Penn State. I tend to think fans hold their own players (especially their QB) than those of other teams. We also seem to forget that other B1G teams have top WR and TE recruits. Our TEs are blocking or MIA most of the game. Watching PAC12 games, I notice a lot of receivers and TEs going high to make catches RU fans could only dream about because it seems that many of our recievers' and TE's cleats are glued to the turf.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Nothing makes a WR recruit want to commit to your program more than 39 yards passing against Indiana. We'd better embrace Schianoball and the Wing-RPO offense, lest we be looked at as ungrateful fans.

Army, Navy, and Air Force each had more passing yards Saturday.
Yet we were the only one to beat a P5 school on the road no less.

Wimsatt's Total QBR was the 13th highest in the nation this week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT