ADVERTISEMENT

39 yds passing.

Gavin was the Week 8 #13 rated QB by QBR and #54 for the entire season.

Last year, No RU QB was ranked in the top 120.

The naysayers can all take a flying f*ck at a rolling donut. Gavin's improvement this year has been impressive and a prime reason why the team is winning.

Guys like Antonio White, Gabe Winowich, and Korey Duff. Are those the types that RU will not get?
Guys who committed before our dumbass fans decided we need to go full-bore wishbone to succeed? Geez, I'm glad we won, but there are long term considerations at stake.

Long term implications over one game?

Just stop
Not even 2000 yards for his career (20 games played). I'm willing to see how it plays out, but people here were crowning him the goat a few days ago. Need I bring up the Best 4th Down Conversion Ever Made in his first series in college? Lulz

Not even 2000 yards for his career (20 games played). I'm willing to see how it plays out, but people here were crowning him the goat a few days ago. Need I bring up the Best 4th Down Conversion Ever Made in his first series in college? Lulz
He has improved as has the team

Again…we didn’t pass the ball for ONE game…..the game plan worked and you are making it seem we have been doing this all year when that hasn’t even remotely been the case

Total overreaction to say the least

Gavin was the Week 8 #13 rated QB by QBR and #54 for the entire season.

Last year, No RU QB was ranked in the top 120.

The naysayers can all take a flying f*ck at a rolling donut. Gavin's improvement this year has been impressive and a prime reason why the team is winning.

Great points, but what I really love is the slam - produces a great visual, lol...

We could name a few that go the other way as well as was the perfect pass and timing to Dremel in the Michigan game.
But, this is also an area to improve. All part of growth. What I do like, he has mastered using the sideline and back of endzone to put it only where our guy can catch it. I think that is usually the more dfficult of the time.
I wouldn’t say ‘mastered’. Except for occasional 2 yard drags to Langan and a few other safe patterns, it seems he’s only allowed to throw to the sideline (including in the end zone) for max risk avoidance.

We’re all happy they won but almost everyone here recognizes GW has significant limitations as a passer.

To me, that doesn’t matter for this year. Don’t care if they go 6-6 now. They already overachieved.

I wouldn’t say ‘mastered’. Except for occasional 2 yard drags to Langan and a few other safe patterns, it seems he’s only allowed to throw to the sideline (including in the end zone) for max risk avoidance.

We’re all happy they won but almost everyone here recognizes GW has significant limitations as a passer.

To me, that doesn’t matter for this year. Don’t care if they go 6-6 now. They already overachieved.
I SAID - he mastered the sideline endzone- risk avoidance and able to make a play. He has even made quite a few NFL level throws.
I never said he mastered the over the middle- I said that he has had a few good ones, in which the prevous poster pretty much said never.
I also said he needs to improve upon it.

And also glad you are so happy with the season. :) that is always a good thing

If we have the leading rusher in the Big Ten and didnt use him to earn our most rushing yards ever in a B1G game, people would say ots coaching malpractice (literally what got Gleeson fired after Nebraska last year - all we needed to do was run Sam Brown to win and instead he had Gavin slinging the ball and the picks is what let Neb win)
It doesn't make a difference to your point, but just to clarify so Gavin doesn't get any negative press that he doesn't deserve, he didn't play in the Nebraska game. Evan Simon threw the three late interceptions in that game, and Gleeson was fired two days later.

Reactions: TRU2RU
I SAID - he mastered the sideline endzone- risk avoidance and able to make a play. He has even made quite a few NFL level throws.
I never said he mastered the over the middle- I said that he has had a few good ones, in which the prevous poster pretty much said never.
I also said he needs to improve upon it.

And also glad you are so happy with the season. :) that is always a good thing
I look at this as an acid test for Schiano.Our team is good.The object should be to win this, rather than avoiding a blow out.We will have to throw effectively. OSU will jam the box & we have to take some risks & make them pay. Establish the pass to set up the run.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I look at this as an acid test for Schiano.Our team is good.The object should be to win this, rather than avoiding a blow out.We will have to throw effectively. OSU will jam the box & we have to take some risks & make them pay. Establish the pass to set up the run.
The interesting this is that OSU is not really blowing anyone out except Purdue. I would think that with no turnovers- they win 27-7 or 27-10
Maybe they get 35. But out defense is better tan both Purdue and MAryland.
We need to find a way to start like we did against Michigan without the refs- f-ing us. And then get a turnover and not turn the ball over ourselves.
They are a heavy favorite no matter what and deserve to be. We won't know what is going to work until Michigan passes us their plays.

Reactions: Scarlet16E
I don’t think that will be the approach. We just don’t have passing game talent to make them respect it and therefore we will be as vanilla as ever. Not much an OC can do with a significant talent deficit.

Keeping the game close will depend on whether the D can keep it interesting. It helps that McCord doesn’t seem to be a running threat like we faced in our two losses. Hope he doesn’t become one.

Our style of play on offense might make it a tough sell on recruiting trails and in the transfer portal for talented QBs and WRs.
No it won't. For all the home football coaches and master grill operators, please listen to the full discussion here, that lasts for less than 5 minutes, if some of you have an attention span that lasts that long. It's not complicated. They know what they are doing. Maybe if we pay Greg another $3 million/year, people will accept the plan? 🤔 😉

No it won't. For all the home football coaches and master grill operators, please listen to the full discussion here, that lasts for less than 5 minutes, if some of you have an attention span that lasts that long. It's not complicated. They know what they are doing. Maybe if we pay Greg another $3 million/year, people will accept the plan? 🤔 😉

Wow, if you are going to be such an arrogant and obnoxious jerk to other posters on this forum at least have the guts to put your real name behind your posts. Coward!

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Lol another thread.....I seriously don't know if people watch college football and understand that these QBs are young and developing. Alot of coaches wish that their QB could take off and run like Gavin so at least their team will have some type of offense...Here's a quote from an ESPN article that touched on the subject of week 8 QB play and offense..

Bad, worse and whatever Arkansas is doing
Wake Forest and Virginia Tech played last week, but it was Week 8 that offered the best opportunities to break out the Frank Beamer meme. Even beyond Ohio State and Penn State's top-10 rock fight that ... um, highlighted? ... the day, it was an ugly afternoon for offenses.

It's common fodder for service academy showdowns to include painfully little offense, but Air Force offered the promise of a surprisingly new narrative when Dane Kinamon broke free for a 94-yard touchdown catch just 12 seconds into the second quarter.
Dane Kinamon breaks free for 94-yard Air Force TD grabDane Kinamon gets behind Navy's defense and goes the distance for a 94-yard Air Force touchdown.
Unfortunately, that's the last offense anyone chose to play. Navy finished with 122 total yards. The two teams were 4-of-30 on third down. Several wide receivers fell asleep at midfield. Air Force won 17-6 thanks to a late pick-six. To recap, a game that came with the second-lowest Vegas point total on record for a Commander-in-Chief's Trophy contest included a 94-yard TD and a pick-six and still went under.

In Arkansas, offensive coordinator Dan Enos has been walking around for weeks humming the opening stanza to "Sound of Silence" and dreaming up new ways to turn KJ Jefferson into George Jefferson.

Jefferson fumbled twice and threw a pick in Arkansas' 7-3 loss to Mississippi State on Saturday. Impressively, he managed to complete 19 passes for just 97 yards. Kindergarten games of hot potato involve more downfield throwing than that. Mississippi State at least had the excuse of missing starting QB Will Rogers, who technically missed the game due to injury but would've been well within his rights to simply take Saturday off to go see the new Scorsese movie instead.

At ECU, the Pirates' offense is ridden with scurvy. ECU threw 32 passes and managed just 88 yards through the air in Saturday's 10-7 loss to a nearly-as-inept Charlotte team. We genuinely wonder if 49ers coach Biff Poggi cuts the arms off his sweatshirts or if he gets mad while watching film of his offense and then shreds his clothes like the Incredible Hulk.

In Iowa, all of that is considered the second-best appetizer for a Hawkeyes game (after the preferred pregame meal of an 86-ounce steak and a quarter keg of whole milk).

And those Hawkeyes didn't disappoint. Which is to say, they were incredibly disappointing.

The game total closed at 30.5, which is also the number of beers you'd need to consume to enjoy the offense in this one, which Minnesota won 12-10. The two QBs combined to complete 20 of 48 throws. The lone touchdown came on a 1-yard run that completed a 46-yard drive. There were 18 punts, and Hawkeyes offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz's only regret was that there weren't more. Iowa chose to punt on fourth-and-10 at its own 41 with 2:06 to play, which made sense because each snap on offense for Iowa represented Minnesota's best chance to score. The Hawkeyes got a stop and forced another punt -- and might have scored on a return, if not for Cooper DeJean waving for a fair catch (or perhaps he was just signaling to AD Beth Goetz not to count these points toward Ferentz's total). And then Iowa quickly threw a game-ending interception because, of course it did.

Iowa's go-ahead TD wiped off after fair catch callCooper DeJean returns punt for a 54-yard Iowa touchdown to grab the lead, but it is taken off the board after DeJean appeared to motion for a fair catch.
The final numbers: Iowa had 127 yards of total offense. It averaged 0.4 yards per rush, which translated into inches is a little more than 14 per carry. A toddler could have fallen over 28 times and performed better. For the season, Iowa has 2,656 punt yards and 1,859 yards of offense.

And somewhere in Des Moines, a clandestine group of Iowa power brokers, clad in robes and huddled around a sprawling oak table beneath a portrait of Hayden Fry, solemnly announces in unison: This is the way.

Last edited:

Multiple points of view on the issue have validity. Save the condescending remarks. It detracts from your often good posts.

From a high level it looks like GW is high on most of his passes(even the ones he completes). To me that is his mechanics and that can be fixed. He does look like he is seeing the field and picking out the right receiver, but he just has to throw a better ball. If this happens this could be a very good offense.

Multiple points of view on the issue have validity. Save the condescending remarks. It detracts from your often good posts.
What was condescending? We have had to endure hundreds of whiny posts drawing inane and insane conclusions based on one game from a developing QB. I doubt many will listen to what the former football player and analyst said, but continue to spout off. But those posts are OK. Got it.

Reactions: TRU2RU
From a high level it looks like GW is high on most of his passes(even the ones he completes). To me that is his mechanics and that can be fixed. He does look like he is seeing the field and picking out the right receiver, but he just has to throw a better ball. If this happens this could be a very good offense.
And as I have mentioned, we see multiple other teams' receivers high pointing and catching high balls. Strong has had a couple of these catches, but our TEs not so much. Why does Gavin seem to get most of all of the blame?

It’s one game

It’s not like the entire season has been that way

Again….let’s not creative a narrative based on one game where the game-plane was spot on

That's not exactly true.
We are one of the most run heavy offenses in the country and have been all season.

Pass Play Percentage: 39.04% (#121 out or 133 teams)
https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/passing-play-pct

Now is that due to the players (and hopefully as players develop the game plan changes) or by staff design and philosophy (regardless of player development a risk-adverse game plan will always remain)?

Next year will be a good test as hopefully the players develop and force the staffs hand.

My long-term concern is that as offense continues to evolve toward increased passing due to better coaching and rule changes, our running game is fools gold.

Long passes are often thrown with the purpose of drawing a flag more so than completing the pass. We’ve seen those against us. A team that passes doesn’t need to always be ‘ahead of the sticks’ to keep drives alive like we do.

Passing is too important. Our philosophy is a disadvantage against good teams.

It worked this year against teams we were favored against, including two teams in coaching disarray.

Next year passing needs to be better.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
My long-term concern is that as offense continues to evolve toward increased passing due to better coaching and rule changes, our running game is fools gold.

Long passes are often thrown with the purpose of drawing a flag more so than completing the pass. We’ve seen those against us. A team that passes doesn’t need to always be ‘ahead of the sticks’ to keep drives alive like we do.

Passing is too important. Our philosophy is a disadvantage against good teams.

It worked this year against teams we were favored against, including two teams in coaching disarray.

Next year passing needs to be better.
I don't think many would argue this point- we need the passing offense to get better to jump from just being a bowl qualifier to becoming a good team. But what some of our posters are missing- we are doing what we need to do now to win. Also- our QB went from being a complete liability and shouldn't be a P5 QB to being a capable P5 QB that improved dramatically and we see signs that he could become something special if he can correct a couple more things. But he is 19 and has 2 more years to grow...

What was condescending? We have had to endure hundreds of whiny posts drawing inane and insane conclusions based on one game from a developing QB. I doubt many will listen to what the former football player and analyst said, but continue to spout off. But those posts are OK. Got it.

Why would you think that these "conclusions" are based on one game?

That's a little condescending.

The difference is you personally attack those who disagree with you, if you can't understand the difference than that is on you.

Why would you think that these "conclusions" are based on one game?

That's a little condescending.
They absolutely are based off one game. You do what it takes to win the game. Both Kyle and Gavin shredded Indiana on the ground. It's amazing people forget the great ball Gavin threw to Ian last week in the back of the end zone.

Does Gavin have things to work on? Absolutely. But is he as bad as people suggest? No way. He's getting better every game.

To see Gavin's improvement this year just watch the difference in demeanor from game 1 to game 8. He's calm, cool, and collected. Always under control and has a short memory to bounce back.

You can't teach his leadership, enjoy the process and watch him grow.

We have 6 wins for the first time since 2014.

Gavin is the best QB we've had since Gary Nova and still people want to write him off when he still has 2 full years of eligibility to continue to improve.

They absolutely are based off one game. You do what it takes to win the game. Both Kyle and Gavin shredded Indiana on the ground. It's amazing people forget the great ball Gavin threw to Ian last week in the back of the end zone.

Does Gavin have things to work on? Absolutely. But is he as bad as people suggest? No way. He's getting better every game.

To see Gavin's improvement this year just watch the difference in demeanor from game 1 to game 8. He's calm, cool, and collected. Always under control and has a short memory to bounce back.

You can't teach his leadership, enjoy the process and watch him grow.

We have 6 wins for the first time since 2014.

Gavin is the best QB we've had since Gary Nova and still people want to write him off when he still has 2 full years of eligibility to continue to improve.

This reminds me of the story of the little boy and the Zen master.

We'll see.

Analogy: you can beat weaker teams without any talented three point shooters on your roster but you can’t compete with good teams that do.

In hoops, it’s not a big adjustment to tweak your motion offense for three pointers so you can still attract them on faith.

It’s not as easy to overhaul football offense so as noted above needed recruiting will be difficult

Analogy: you can beat weaker teams without any talented three point shooters on your roster but you can’t compete with good teams that do.

In hoops, it’s not a big adjustment to tweak your motion offense for three pointers so you can still attract them on faith.

It’s not as easy to overhaul football offense so as noted above needed recruiting will be difficult
I’m not saying so disagree but Greg has a history of bringing in some pretty darn good wide outs despite a style that favors the run. Sanu was no slouch. I think we’ll be able to sell the potential to be the signature receiving threat on a winning team. That’s always been Greg’s approach. Now can we land a stud passing QB? That’s a different question entirely.

Reactions: shields
....Or maybe he is a little bit gun shy about threading the needle at this point and is purposely throwing them a bit high to prevent a turnover. Regardless, he is getting better and more confident game by game.

Reactions: RU from Jersey
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT