ADVERTISEMENT

39 yds passing.

No one here disputes the importance of that game. Most likely a bowl invite hung in the balance.

With so much riding on it, Schiano didn’t trust Wimsatt to throw much. It is what it is.

The strategy worked to get us bowl eligible. No further analysis needed. Coming from a regular Schiano-basher, this isn’t the time to complain about that.
And how do you know it had to do with trust? You don’t

It was obvious what the game plan was to exploit their rushing D and that’s exactly what they did

It was obvious what the game plan was to exploit their rushing D and that’s exactly what they did

I don’t think the post was meant that way. He’s just saying when we can get away with grinding out yards on the ground that’s the plan right now. And it worked. We knew we weren’t going to be throwing - just as we didn’t throw much vs. Temple.

I know we won, but 39 yds passing is pretty bad. Our offense needs to be more balanced.
It seems obvious that the staff watched Indiana film and decided that we could run on them and devised a game plan to do just that. However, it is also obvious that game plan will not work for the next game.

It was 14-14 before the muffed IU punt, and then only 17-14 at half, shaping up as a close game. It's beyond dumb to play a close game so conservatively leaving weapons on the shelf if you trust your QB to win games for you. Clearly no trust with so much at stake. As stated, accept it and appreciate the 2023 bowl. I will.

GW is a good athlete and generally makes good decisions but his accuracy is awful. No other way to sugarcoat it.
In your view. If you review each of the every pass by Gavin Wimsatt threads, you might think otherwise. Subpar? Sure. Awful? Not in my and others' views. But these things are subjective, like a lot of other things, where a narrative starts, it gets drummed into peoples' heads and it becomes the popular opinion.

Scored more points.

I get what he's saying. Gavin was 5 for 12 for 39. The inaccuracy couldn't have been more evident and it's a concern. There are teams on the schedule much better at defending the run than Indiana and our inability to throw the ball will box us in.

It's a concern.
He completed 5, threw one away out the back of the end zone, had three passes dropped, and was inaccurate on three. I know he has accuracy issues but it seems to me the bad passes are being over emphasized. All QBs throw bad passes. Is three out of twelve that bad that it creates this much turmoil.

It was 14-14 before the muffed IU punt, and then only 17-14 at half, shaping up as a close game. It's beyond dumb to play a close game so conservatively leaving weapons on the shelf if you trust your QB to win games for you. Clearly no trust with so much at stake. As stated, accept it and appreciate the 2023 bowl. I will.
Clearly they stick with the game plan and it worked

If we had even an average passing game our rushing stats would be even better. Keep in mind our run game production this year is with us running into a 8-10 man box ply after play which is insane.

This is partially why Ray Rice was so successful. Mike Teel was an above average QB who could stretch the field at times, which got Ray some holes to exploit his skills.

In your view. If you review each of the every pass by Gavin Wimsatt threads, you might think otherwise. Subpar? Sure. Awful? Not in my and others' views. But these things are subjective, like a lot of other things, where a narrative starts, it gets drummed into peoples' heads and it becomes the popular opinion.
Truth Tru GIF

You can't fix stupid.

Reactions: TRU2RU
One other point. The heavy dose of KM led to Gavin’s 80 yard TD. Indiana, the TV announcers, and most fans thought KM had the ball .

Truth Tru GIF

You can't fix stupid.
I would not call it "stupid." That's some other poster's favorite word.
If one objectively looks at Gavin's game-by-game completion percentage, it is not good. Only against NW and Wagner did he have a completion % over 55%. In 5 of his 8 games, and 3 in a row he has a completion % in the mid 40s. That's not good.

As I psychoanalyze myself (I could not pay someone to undertake such an ugly task), I recognize from my posts that we may be making too many excuses for Gavin. Also, too many what ifs the receiver made a good catch. Well, what if Benjamin did not make that catch- he would have been 4/12 on the day. But over the last 3 games against non-world beaters, he is 34/75 or 43.5%.

This. Only the shorts have been awful. While somewhat limiting to the offense, the mobility of our QB partly makes up for it. Most teams use lateral passes as an extension of their run game. We don’t.

I would not call it "stupid." That's some other poster's favorite word.
If one objectively looks at Gavin's game-by-game completion percentage, it is not good. Only against NW and Wagner did he have a completion % over 55%. In 5 of his 8 games, and 3 in a row he has a completion % in the mid 40s. That's not good.

As I psychoanalyze myself (I could not pay someone to undertake such an ugly task), I recognize from my posts that we may be making too many excuses for Gavin. Also, too many what ifs the receiver made a good catch. Well, what if Benjamin did not make that catch- he would have been 4/12 on the day. But over the last 3 games against non-world beaters, he is 34/75 or 43.5%.
I was not calling him stupid. I'm talking about the unwillingness to move from a position that is clearly not understood. The 39 yards of passing wasn't by poor decisions and execution by Wimsatt. It resulted from a strong running game that didn't require much passing. It didn't matter if the passing was a success or not. Twelve passes were to keep IU honest.

Oh I get it. And I kinda hope they use Greg's "dance" on the scoreboard during games. LOL.

I just don't recognize as quickly with the new avatar and the world is all about entitled me so I had to speak up. ; )
"You know what happened today, IT WORKED OUTTTTT!!!!!!" that needs to be on the video every game. lol

It was 14-14 but the coaches already saw that they could not stop the run and changed the 2d half to be 95% run.

And Indiana really could do much against our defense. Indiana did earn the first TD but Dixon blew that play completely on 4th down where he just didnt get into correct position and WR was so open, it allowed the QB to get out of a sack.
Coaches do not look at the score to figure out how to beat the other team. they look at how those scores happened and what is working what is not.

I am sure if Indiana was holding back our run game- they would have had GW throw the ball. They didn't determine that we lose if we let him throw- they determined that we can't lose if we just run.

The combined record of the next four opponents is 24-5, the combined record of the 6 teams we beat to date without a legitimate B1G passing game is 11-25. Let's all stop the fallacy that we can run the ball down the throats of our next 4 opponents. Without a legit passing game we will likely lose, and lose big, the next 4 games and our bowl game.
No one is really disagreeing with that. Clearly our passing game needs to get better. What, IMO, people here are saying is that using the 5 for 12 day vs IU as a reflection of our passing game is not accurate (no pun intended). That 5/12 day is nothing more than what we needed to do on Saturday to win. Also, all QBs have drops and throw aways but they are never called inaccurate unless they are thrown by Gavin. Yes he has some accuracy issues, especially over the middle when he tends to sail the ball over the receivers head, but he has also thrown some dimes. Saturday, IMO, is not a reflection of the state of our passing game or the ability of OU QBs.

Reactions: RU848789
Nothing makes a WR recruit want to commit to your program more than 39 yards passing against Indiana. We'd better embrace Schianoball and the Wing-RPO offense, lest we be looked at as ungrateful fans.

Army, Navy, and Air Force each had more passing yards Saturday.
Yeah, the players looked mad as hell after the win

The combined record of the next four opponents is 24-5, the combined record of the 6 teams we beat to date without a legitimate B1G passing game is 11-25. Let's all stop the fallacy that we can run the ball down the throats of our next 4 opponents. Without a legit passing game we will likely lose, and lose big, the next 4 games and our bowl game.

Did you think we were beating OSU and PSU before the season - whether or not we had a higher level passing game? Also one could make the argument that against superior competition you can increase chances of winning through ball control / clock management and avoiding turnovers.

Iowa certainly is not worldbeaters on offense, similar to RU. Maryland you may be right. If we cannot control their passing game with our D, may need to throw it alot more to keep up.

Our style of play on offense might make it a tough sell on recruiting trails and in the transfer portal for talented QBs and WRs.

Yeah, the players looked mad as hell after the win
You're not getting any 4 stars with NFL or NIL aspirations to sign with a team that doesn't pass the ball. Probably tough to get 3 stars too. If you can't understand that, then you really don't understand college football.

Reactions: Shelby65
It was 14-14 but the coaches already saw that they could not stop the run and changed the 2d half to be 95% run.

And Indiana really could do much against our defense. Indiana did earn the first TD but Dixon blew that play completely on 4th down where he just didnt get into correct position and WR was so open, it allowed the QB to get out of a sack.
Coaches do not look at the score to figure out how to beat the other team. they look at how those scores happened and what is working what is not.

I am sure if Indiana was holding back our run game- they would have had GW throw the ball. They didn't determine that we lose if we let him throw- they determined that we can't lose if we just run.
Not true. Coaches know the ‘rest of the game’ is unpredictable. Just ask Michigan State. Our guys did not know how the rest of the game would unfold (IU adjustments, RU miscues, bad calls, etc.). That’s why you try to score all you can from beginning to end.

I am not saying we should have passed more. We executed the game plan and won. That’s the only thing that mattered on Saturday.

I am also saying the HC doesn’t trust the QB to win games with his arm. Do you ? I don’t. Too inaccurate and risky. But so what !!

Don’t care. Bowl game.

Not true. Coaches know the ‘rest of the game’ is unpredictable. Just ask Michigan State. Our guys did not know how the rest of the game would unfold (IU adjustments, RU miscues, bad calls, etc.). That’s why you try to score all you can from beginning to end.

I am not saying we should have passed more. We executed the game plan and won. That’s the only thing that mattered on Saturday.

I am also saying the HC doesn’t trust the QB to win games with his arm. Do you ? I don’t. Too inaccurate and risky. But so what !!

Don’t care. Bowl game.
Well- he did drop back for 8 passes of 12 plays during MSU game and the TD and 2 pt play on the drive that brought the game to 27-24
2-15 and got a 24 yd pass to Washington for the 1st down
1-10 and got the 11 yd pass to Dremel for a 1st down
3- goal and 4 yd TD pass to Washington
2 point play to Dremel

So- someone must trust him...

You're not getting any 4 stars with NFL or NIL aspirations to sign with a team that doesn't pass the ball. Probably tough to get 3 stars too. If you can't understand that, then you really don't understand college football.
You can because it's about selling an idea to a recruit. I understand the process better than most on this board, having experienced it from different perspectives. I've experienced it as a player in HS, as a host player in college, and as an HS coach dealing with college coaches. You can't make a general statement and think it holds true for every recruit. Btw, Duff believes otherwise.

I guess the idea for the crew on this kick about Wimsatt's passing is to repeat the narrative repeatedly to others, who eventually grow tired of it and stop debating you guys. Then, you claim victory. Wins and losses don't matter.

Don’t care. Bowl game.

A better way of saying it is what Greg says himself in every presser. The play calling reflects what they believe gives them the best chance to win. When we needed a come back against Michigan State, Gavin was asked to lead a drive down the field. He did it. Once we took the lead, from there, keeping the ball on the ground gave us the best chance. Against Indiana, once we saw we could run at will, same thing. We all know the pass game is a weakness but it’s not like we never resort to it.

Reactions: rutgersal
You can because it's about selling an idea to a recruit. I understand the process better than most on this board, having experienced it from different perspectives. I've experienced it as a player in HS, as a host player in college, and as an HS coach dealing with college coaches. You can't make a general statement and think it holds true for every recruit. Btw, Duff believes otherwise.

I guess the idea for the crew on this kick about Wimsatt's passing is to repeat the narrative repeatedly to others, who eventually grow tired of it and stop debating you guys. Then, you claim victory. Wins and losses don't matter.
What 4* wide receiver wants to block 99% of the snaps he sees from scrimmage, amassing near-zero stats, and being invisible to both college NIL opportunities and NFL scouts?

It's great for linemen recruits, but horrible for receivers.

Buffy…I’m on board with the limited passing game on Saturday but I don't care what your background is, I can’t disagree more with your view of selling recruits on ideas and faith, especially when they see otherwise on the field.

Nobody’s coming here to be a decoy or cheerleader.

Recruits go where they expect to be coached well, featured and productive. There’s a reason we’re facing MH Jr at wideout in two weeks instead of 3.

We know where Linebacker U is and the other Big10 school with several RBs on the all time list went.

It’s ridiculous to think an elite WR recruit would come to a school that doesn’t have much of a passing game even if the Pope were selling it.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
not just getting here but wanting to stay after a year in the offense. You can sell anything to some but what is telling is which high ranked receiver is staying

What 4* wide receiver wants to block 99% of the snaps he sees from scrimmage, amassing near-zero stats, and being invisible to both college NIL opportunities and NFL scouts?

It’s one game

It’s not like the entire season has been that way

Again….let’s not creative a narrative based on one game where the game-plane was spot on

For the recruits- just have them watch the damn drops and the nearly no separation on pass routes and ask them what this QB would be able to do with them getting open ad not dropping passes. You also show them the NFL type passes this kid does throw.
You tell them you need them to be our next Britt/Carroo/Sanu

Reactions: wisr01

Korey Duff is a 4 * receiver who is coming here. We play to win the game and we won the game. End of story.

Wimsatt will be a better passer next year than he is this year. He was a 44% passer last year. This year he is roughly around 50%. Next year he will be around 55%. All our previous QBs like Nove and Teel improved year over year.

Wimsatt will have ample opportunity to pass in our last four games.

Korey Duff is a 4 * receiver who is coming here. We play to win the game and we won the game. End of story.

Wimsatt will be a better passer next year than he is this year. He was a 44% passer last year. This year he is roughly around 50%. Next year he will be around 55%. All our previous QBs like Nove and Teel improved year over year.

Wimsatt will have ample opportunity to pass in our last four games.
From your lips to God's ears, Al.

Reactions: rutgersal
Scored more points.

I get what he's saying. Gavin was 5 for 12 for 39. The inaccuracy couldn't have been more evident and it's a concern. There are teams on the schedule much better at defending the run than Indiana and our inability to throw the ball will box us in.

It's a concern.
Also a concern is that even the completed passes do not allow for catches in stride to maximize YAC. The Benjamin catch is an obvious example. But there are many more.

31-14 I don't care whether he threw for 39 or 3.9 yds. They did what the needed to do, he hit a 4th down pass that kept a touchdown drive going. He threw for 180 last week, he did what he needed to do, two weeks from now he will need to do more, we will see what happens.
I don’t think anybody on here cares about the 39 yard figure per se. The people raising concerns are worried that the lack of accuracy will not allow for diversification of the offense against better run defenses. That concern is legitimate and appropriate, no matter how excited we are about the six wins to date.

Also a concern is that even the completed passes do not allow for catches in stride to maximize YAC. The Benjamin catch is an obvious example. But there are many more.
We could name a few that go the other way as well as was the perfect pass and timing to Dremel in the Michigan game.
But, this is also an area to improve. All part of growth. What I do like, he has mastered using the sideline and back of endzone to put it only where our guy can catch it. I think that is usually the more dfficult of the two.

Reactions: TRU2RU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT