ADVERTISEMENT

Big Man

I could not agree more. He is a foul machine.

So was MJ though in 2018-19. Still an issue in 2019-20 but definitely an asset during the minutes he played.

Don’t take this the wrong way (I’m NOT at all saying I expect Ogbole will take the same step MJ took after 2018-19 ). My only point is that outside of fouling a lot, Ogbole mostly got the job done in limited action on the defensive end. I’m not as bearish on his development as some others.

Bottom line the elite basketball programs will dominate recruiting.The NIL is just the latest excuse for mid level programs not being able to compete.Bailey and Harper were unique situations that will be difficult to repeat at Rutgers.
I see it as NIL is just the legal way to give money, which is what some programs always did. Not an excuse, just the reality of the situation. But NIL is not static. RU has a foundation such that a breakout year could have a big impact on our NIL and fanbase.

So was MJ though in 2018-19. Still an issue in 2019-20 but definitely an asset during the minutes he played.

Don’t take this the wrong way (I’m NOT at all saying I expect Ogbole will take the same step MJ took after 2018-19 ). My only point is that outside of fouling a lot, Ogbole mostly got the job done in limited action on the defensive end. I’m not as bearish on his development as some others.
I liked Ogbole. Definitely you want an upgrade if you can get one. A sure fire P5 starter. But he definitely had promise.

He barely had any rebounds on the defensive end. Most of them were offensive rebounds (70%). That’s a red flag. Most starting bigs in the conference will eat him up if he gets extended minutes.

I agree with this. The guy played in only 9 games, all against B1G teams, was coming off an injury, and had no “tune up games” against lower level opponents to help prepare him for the season and give him a feel for chemistry with his new teammates.

That said, he showed promising fundamentals with setting screens, boxing out, court awareness and doing his job to clog the paint.

Regarding fouls, note that during his only two games with extended playing time, at Purdue (16 minutes) and vs OSU (18 minutes) he only picked up 2 fouls in each of those contests. Plus he scored a combined 15 points in those two games.

My guess is that in the other games where he played only a few minutes each, he was sent in to play aggressive D and was told not to worry about fouling.

Last edited:
He barely had any rebounds on the defensive end. Most of them were offensive rebounds (70%). That’s a red flag. Most starting bigs in the conference will eat him up if he gets extended minutes.
Might not necessarily be a red flag. I would have to go back and watch all his PT but what I recall is that he usually cleared out his man on a strong box-out, allowing his teammates to pick up easier defensive rebounds. Meanwhile is offensive rebounding was a definite plus.

Reactions: socaldave

I disagree. He was servicable on D even if the stat sheet doesn’t show a ton of defensive boards.

We’re talking about a kid who played 80 minutes the whole season. How many defensive possessions does that even translate into? He had 6 defensive boards, 5 blocks, 5 steals, and committed 13 fouls. That’s not the profile of an awful defensive player. It’s the profile of a kid who needs to learn to defend without fouling.

I disagree. He was servicable on D even if the stat sheet doesn’t show a ton of defensive boards.

We’re talking about a kid who played 80 minutes the whole season. How many defensive possessions does that even translate into? He had 6 defensive boards, 5 blocks, 5 steals, and committed 13 fouls. That’s not the profile of an awful defensive player. It’s the profile of a kid who needs to learn to defend without fouling.
Ogbole will be 24 when our season starts. I hope he develops a little more, but more likely he is what he is at this point.

Reactions: darkcheck
Might not necessarily be a red flag. I would have to go back and watch all his PT but what I recall is that he usually cleared out his man on a strong box-out, allowing his teammates to pick up easier defensive rebounds. Meanwhile is offensive rebounding was a definite plus.
2 red flags
1. Pike played Oskar at times down the stretch at the 5 and Woolfolk over him
2. Forgot the play, Ogbole did something unacceptable in a game...forgot was it a trip. He was benched for it. I realize so did Paul a few times

I agree with this. The guy played in only 9 games, all against B1G teams, was coming off an injury, and had no “tune up games” against lower level opponents to help prepare him for the season and give him a feel for chemistry with his new teammates.

That said, he showed promising fundamentals with setting screens, boxing out, court awareness and doing his job to clog the paint.

Regarding fouls, note that during his only two games with extended playing time, at Purdue (16 minutes) and vs OSU (18 minutes) he only picked up 2 fouls in each of those contests. Plus he scored a combined 15 points in those two games.

My guess is that in the other games where he played only a few minutes each, he was sent in to play aggressive D and was told not to worry about fouling.
Yeah man he’ll be fine..give him some grace..he is 280 pounds coming off a knee injury straight in to big10 conference play!

2 red flags
1. Pike played Oskar at times down the stretch at the 5 and Woolfolk over him
2. Forgot the play, Ogbole did something unacceptable in a game...forgot was it a trip. He was benched for it. I realize so did Paul a few times
He was on the dog list after. It was the Minny game I think.

I don’t take anything away from who played at the end of the season. If Pike wanted Wolf here, he’d still be around.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
He was on the dog list after. It was the Minny game I think.

I don’t take anything away from who played at the end of the season. If Pike wanted Wolf here, he’d still be around.
He has the body. The question I have, and I don't have an educated answer. How many bodies are in the portal that would be an upgrade over him. I also realize we could have a quantity problem too. We definitely would like a 3rd center alongside Somerville and Ogobole, but if no one is better than ogobole I want to hard pass and play a skilled player out of position

Ogbole will be 24 when our season starts. I hope he develops a little more, but more likely he is what he is at this point.
False. Ogbole is still learning how to play high level college basketball. Also, last year he was still injured in the summer and he didn’t get practice reps and conditioning that he desperately needed.

If he can stay injury free going forward, I expect a nice jump in his skills and production this coming season.

Last edited:
Expected development and production after next season doesn’t matter. This is a win now team. Teams reset with the portal every year.

It’s highly unlikely as a freshman that Lathan will be able to compete at a position requiring more physical strength than any other. So he’s the backup and Ogbole third string.

The team is desperate for a 5 who can compete right away.

Last edited:
Exactly. The real question is how many of our wins would we have lost if we had Ogbole at center instead of Cliff.

I don’t think that’s the full question

ogbole showed signs last year of being able to contribute

But he was injured most of last year and he is raw so don’t automatically assume that what you saw from him last year is his ceiling

Again he showed some signs

So it’s entirely possible for the reasons above (raw/ injured) that we will get more from him next year

Will it happen? Remains to be seen

Reactions: Scarlet83
He has the body. The question I have, and I don't have an educated answer. How many bodies are in the portal that would be an upgrade over him. I also realize we could have a quantity problem too. We definitely would like a 3rd center alongside Somerville and Ogobole, but if no one is better than ogobole I want to hard pass and play a skilled player out of position

Agree completely. I’d much rather take an undersized bruiser who can be productive at the current level than another Agee. An Agee type would be useless.

In my view, Ogbole has already proven he can be as productive as Shaq Doorson. I think there’s a chance he could elevate his game to be able to provide 20 decent minutes. We don’t know what we’re getting in Somerville. I don’t think he’ll be worse than Wolf as a frosh though. So if we could get 30 from the guys we have - I agree with you, would rather bring in a solid 6-6 kid than over pay for a bad 6-8 or 6-9 guy.

Exactly. The real question is how many of our wins would we have lost if we had Ogbole at center instead of Cliff.
Last year was unlike any of the last 5-6 years in terms of the amount of close games. In the past there have been 10-15 games where the difference ended up being what happened in the last 5 or 6 possessions. The margin between being a 5 seed and a .500 team was razor thin. Obviously if you flip a coin 15 times you cant expect the results being very lopsided

This year most games had wide margins either way so it is real tough to say 1 person in or out would have made a huge didference last year. Definitely NOt the case the past 5 years were results were razor thin on many nights

You’d get no offers on that.
Assuming the 3 portal guys got some NIL, it wasn’t well spent until a center was already in the fold.

Looks like Pike didn’t have enough for everything and still bought video games rather than batteries and water before a hurricane. So far that’s what it appears, but who knows. Maybe he will pull a rabbit out of his hat.

Reactions: darkcheck
Assuming the 3 portal guys got some NIL, it wasn’t well spent until a center was already in the fold.

Looks like Pike didn’t have enough for everything and still bought video games rather than batteries and water before a hurricane. So far that’s what it appears, but who knows. Maybe he will pull a rabbit out of his hat.
I love how you continually speak out of your rear. 😘

No rabbits needed, there are plenty of targets available.

RU was never going to get a top guys at center. Too many people at all levels don't donate to allow for one of those to be a reality. They will get a decent replacement when it's all said and done.

RU was never going to get a top guys at center. Too many people at all levels don't donate to allow for one of those to be a reality. They will get a decent replacement when it's all said and done.
You seem so sure. Am worried that luxury buys before necessities will come back to bite us.

I never said "top" center. But we need more than Sommerville and Ogbole. We need a quality starter who isn't yet on the roster,

Yea we will see, but NIL should be earmarked for starters first, not backups.

You seem so sure. Am worried that luxury buys before necessities will come back to bite us.

I never said "top" center. But we need more than Sommerville and Ogbole. We need a quality starter who isn't yet on the roster,

Yea we will see, but NIL should be earmarked for starters first, not backups.
Luxury buys??? How much NIL do you think those guys commanded?

Luxury buys??? How much NIL do you think those guys commanded?
don't know, but I would assume the total spent on those three, or even just half the total would be better spent on a quality big...than on two guys who won't get 15 minutes a game.

my point is if those outlays undermine the ability to get a serviceable Big10 center, the money wasn't well spent.

If we get a decent big anyway, then fine.

Last edited:
don't know, but I would assume the total spent on those three, or even just half the total would be better spent on a quality big...than on two guys who won't get 15 minutes minutes a game.

my point is if those outlays undermine the ability to get a serviceable Big10 center, the money wasn't well spent.

If we get a decent big anyway, then fine.
LOL, maybe you should listen to the podcasts that Richie posts on the free board. It's literally telling you everything you need to know on their portal efforts and what they can get.

False. Ogbole is still learning how to play high level college basketball. Also, last year he was still injured in the summer and he didn’t get practice reps and conditioning that he desperately needed.

If he can stay injury free going forward, I expect a nice jump in his skills and production.
A jump? Based on. This is not the level of play to learn. His experience is Monroe Jc. No one other than seton hall was interested. Also we don’t have a history of developing big men so their skills improve.

I’m worried “decent” isn’t good enough. This was supposed to be “the year”. Everyone was going to want to play with Ace and Dylan. Many said Cliff shouldn’t let the door hit him on the way out. Now we’re Hoping for just decent. Especially when our goal is to win 10 more games than last year.

I’m worried “decent” isn’t good enough. This was supposed to be “the year”. Everyone was going to want to play with Ace and Dylan. Many said Cliff shouldn’t let the door hit him on the way out. Now we’re Hoping for just decent. Especially when our goal is to win 10 more games than last year.
right. it's likely the sums spent on the other three who should be reserves impact what we'd otherwise be able to afford in a B10 level big.

People saying that about Cliff don't have great analytical skills because they are valuing one type of play over another instead of looking at the value the player provides overall.

The first sign of what level we were going to be at with NIL should have been Cliff leaving to pursue more NIL. Richie was very clear the whole time that RU would be targeting tier 2 & 3 level recruits because they have middle of the pack NIL.

The guy currently being discussed on the pay side would be a good get. He didn't have much drop off in points and rebounds after moving up a level last year. Maybe he even improves in year two of high major ball. If we get what he averaged last year that's fine because most of the scoring is coming from the guards and wings this year. It's going to be a much different style than we are used to seeing.

right. it's likely the sums spent on the other three who should be reserves impact what we'd otherwise be able to afford in a B10 level big.
Incorrect, but don't let that stop you from spewing it like you have knowledge of what RU can spend.

Report back once you've listen to the last 3-4 podcasts posted.

I don’t care about podcast predictions. I pay attention to outcomes. Sure, I have no idea if there’s enough NIL left to attract a Big10 level big man but there some buzz and already big man commits on other conference teams and only crickets here

A jump? Based on. This is not the level of play to learn. His experience is Monroe Jc. No one other than seton hall was interested. Also we don’t have a history of developing big men so their skills improve.
Wrong, and wrong.

I said LEARNING TO PLAY HIGH LEVEL BASKETBALL. Please read more carefully.

And Miles Johnson (4 years) and CJ Gettys (1 year) improved a lot under Pike and staff. So did Cliff.

But if you want to be a negative Nancy about Ogbole, that is your prerogative.

I don’t care about podcast predictions. I pay attention to outcomes. Sure, I have no idea if there’s enough NIL left to attract a Big10 level big man but there some buzz and already big man commits on other conference teams and only crickets here
Crickets on the free board not on the premium side.

No one should be concerned until mid to late May. Someone should be signed before then.

right. it's likely the sums spent on the other three who should be reserves impact what we'd otherwise be able to afford in a B10 le worried “decent” isn’t good enough. This was supposed to be “the year”. Everyone was going to want to play with Ace and Dylan. Many said Cliff shouldn’t let the door hit him on the way out. Now we’re Hoping for just decent. Especially when our goal is to win 10 more games than last year.

The idea that everybody wanted to play with Dylan and Ace has proven to be false. That Seton Hall is able to recruit a player like Gus Yalden over Rutgers is testimony to that fact. So far Pike's transfer recruiting is underwhelming. Expectations for next year need to be adjusted.

The idea that everybody wanted to play with Dylan and Ace has proven to be false. That Seton Hall is able to recruit a player like Gus Yalden over Rutgers is testimony to that fact. So far Pike's transfer recruiting is underwhelming. Expectations for next year need to be adjusted.
Talk about a total fabrication...lol.

Kid didn't play at Wisky, has baggage now due to some issue, and doesn't fit the profile of an experienced big.

Inquiring minds want to know how Gus Yalden helps RU's roster next year given the background provided.

In addition to the big, we need ALL 3 of those transfers in. Martini. Acuff. Derkack. All of them. We need all three for lots of reasons. Their decision process occurred weeks to a month ago. If Pike doesn’t recruit and close them weeks ago, they would have gone elsewhere and we would still need to fill those 3 slots.

It’s frustrating that some fans spend so much time here and don’t understand how this works.
Don’t think reserves and starters. Think about the rotation. Each of the transfers in will play important minutes/roles in the rotation. We will play 8-9 rotation guys. I don’t know where you get your info from, but we need those 3 transfers, their leadership, experience, toughness and scoring ability, and each will solidly be in our rotation.

Yes, we also need a big, who have been choosing schools basically within the last week.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
So much wrong info here. Every single sentence is just completely inaccurate.

Last edited:

So your thought is that Rutgers needs to bring in what essentially is another freshman to play on a roster that already has 5 other freshman?

I will take Supreme Cook over Gus Yalden . . .

Agree. Like I‘ve been saying, there’s only one ball.

• Haha
Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT