ADVERTISEMENT

Big Man

So much bad information in this thread, it's impossible to correct it all.

A) Gus Yalden had 2 alcohol drug suspensions and redshirted while not spending any time on the bench or traveling for any Wisconsin games.....he has been essentially on ice for a full year. RU could have easily picked up Yalden, they made the right, safe decision and passed. Seton Hall has NINE entries into the portal, they had no choice but to take a flyer on Yalden.

B) Supreme Cook is a starting caliber big on a roster that doesn't need 30 minutes a game and 13PPG and 10 rebounds. The goal is to get better production out of all 3 bigs this year vs last year.

C) The equation is as follows.....can RU get the same production out of the 5 position with TBD, Sommerville and Ogbole in 2024-25, with fewer shot attempts.....?? Can they get the same amount of rebounds from this group vs Cliff and Wolf?? Or Cliff, Wolf and Reiber 2 years ago??

If Supreme Cook, Sommerville and Ogbole are the potential trio at the 5, they project to be as good as Cliff and Myles as a tandem. In both situations, the 5 position was at best the 4th option on offense and the role was to rebound and defend.

We will not be as good protecting the rim, but should be better in.

FG % from 2 for the season.

FT % for the season.

Same PPG as 4th option on offense vs last year with Cliff as 2nd or 1st choice on offense.

Fewer turnovers.

More assists.

As mentioned by Scarlet83 and RUFanForLife......please follow the podcasts and take 10 minutes reading the premium posts. They are your friend!!.....😁

One ball is fine for the big man we need. We need someone to play defense, rebound, and hopefully block a few shots. Putbacks and finishing alley oops from guards who can pass would be great….basically, Cliff.
Fine for us, but fine for a transfer portal center with Big10 ability ? Isn’t it the idea for transfers to increase their usage ?

The idea that everybody wanted to play with Dylan and Ace has proven to be false. That Seton Hall is able to recruit a player like Gus Yalden over Rutgers is testimony to that fact. So far Pike's transfer recruiting is underwhelming. Expectations for next year need to be adjusted.
Gus was a project. Comes in higher on the depth chart at SHU, like a poor man’s Sommerville, at SHU.

One ball is fine for the big man we need. We need someone to play defense, rebound, and hopefully block a few shots. Putbacks and finishing alley oops from guards who can pass would be great….basically, Cliff.

It’s all about role clarify and fitting the role needed. Not about what the player can or did do in a prior role.

Clif can be bad for the role last year (face up from 15ft feet, back down the defender, early game scoring option) and also good for the role next year (rebound, defense, 4th or 5th option on offense).

Would Clif be willing to accept the new role? No idea. But people are spending too much time focusing on players and their prior roles and not focusing on the role/need for next year.

Reactions: Scarlet83
The idea that everybody wanted to play with Dylan and Ace has proven to be false. That Seton Hall is able to recruit a player like Gus Yalden over Rutgers is testimony to that fact. So far Pike's transfer recruiting is underwhelming. Expectations for next year need to be adjusted.
Gus is an unproven center who has baggage

It’s all about role clarify and fitting the role needed. Not about what the player can or did do in a prior role.

Clif can be bad for the role last year (face up from 15ft feet, back down the defender, early game scoring option) and also good for the role next year (rebound, defense, 4th or 5th option on offense).

Would Clif be willing to accept the new role? No idea. But people are spending too much time focusing on players and their prior roles and not focusing on the role/need for next year.
Exactly

Cliff was sulking last year, he would not be happy being a 4th or 5th option on offense. Like many college players he thinks he is better than he is, still has NBA aspirations as unrealistic as that may be, and won’t be happy playing in an offense where Ace and Dylan are dominating the offense and he is an afterthought.

Cliff was sulking last year, he would not be happy being a 4th or 5th option on offense. Like many college players he thinks he is better than he is, still has NBA aspirations as unrealistic as that may be, and won’t be happy playing in an offense where Ace and Dylan are dominating the offense and he is an afterthought.
If RU could pay Cliff the NIL other teams were offering, he'd still be here. Richie has said so much.

If RU could pay Cliff the NIL other teams were offering, he'd still be here. Richie has said so much.
Richie doesn’t know, no one knows. And if he came back and wasn’t happy with being a complementary piece that he feels hurts his pro potential, then what?

That's right, he doesn't talk to sources within the program.
Sources in the program don’t know what Cliff would do. If Alabama and Rutgers are both willing to pay the same, but Alabama is pitching a bigger role, and Cliff believes Alabama gives him at shot at getting to the NBA, where do you think he goes?

Sources in the program don’t know what Cliff would do. If Alabama and Rutgers are both willing to pay the same, but Alabama is pitching a bigger role, and Cliff believes Alabama gives him at shot at getting to the NBA, where do you think he goes?
Your hypotheticals also don't know what Cliff would do. But if Cliff stayed he wouldn't be the 4th or 5th option...lol. He would easily be the 3rd option since he's drawing 1:1 coverage with the defense spread out and unable to collapse on him.

Reactions: PaKnight
Almost 6 pages and 9K looks to once again do what this fanbase does best “discuss” the need for Rutgers to bring in a quality C to play in one of the most highly anticipated years of Rutgers basketball ever. If we donated to NIL as much as we like to “discuss” we would have plenty of NIL money to have someone special that can make a difference. NIL discussions gets crickets and these hypotheticals gets page after page. Do we really want to win?

Your hypotheticals also don't know what Cliff would do. But if Cliff stayed he wouldn't be the 4th or 5th option...lol. He would easily be the 3rd option since he's drawing 1:1 coverage with the defense spread out and unable to collapse on him.
Nah…Cliff has no moves and would continue to whip backboard jarring, bazooka cannon fastballs toward the rim no matter who or how many people defend him. He has the coordination and dexterity of a cactus. Cactus Cliff.

Almost 6 pages and 9K looks to once again do what this fanbase does best “discuss” the need for Rutgers to bring in a quality C to play in one of the most highly anticipated years of Rutgers basketball ever. If we donated to NIL as much as we like to “discuss” we would have plenty of NIL money to have someone special that can make a difference. NIL discussions gets crickets and these hypotheticals gets page after page. Do we really want to win?
I’m not going to argue with you that more donors would give us more money to play with, but is this really sustainable? On another thread it was estimated there are say 2500 men’s season ticket holders holding multiple tickets per. 1200 monthly donors already donate to Knights of the Raritan. If they all have basketball season tickets that leaves 1300. If the 1300 all immediately signed up for $10 a month that’s $156k. Does that get us a C?

I’m not going to argue with you that more donors would give us more money to play with, but is this really sustainable? On another thread it was estimated there are say 2500 men’s season ticket holders holding multiple tickets per. 1200 monthly donors already donate to Knights of the Raritan. If they all have basketball season tickets that leaves 1300. If the 1300 all immediately signed up for $10 a month that’s $156k. Does that get us a C?
As the fan base grows and excitement grows you pick up more than just the $10 a month types. Rutgers is still a sleeping giant in terms of untapped area and alumni resources.

Reactions: darkcheck

Agree on concept but I think we’re in the market for an MJ type rather than a Cliff. MJ wasn’t looking to be a scorer. Cliff wanted to and got flustered when he wasn’t being set up well as he’s not the best creator. MJ was simply a bruiser with entirely a defensive focus. He’s keep the D honest with put backs but wasn’t looking to force shots. We need that in my opinion - even if it means foul prone. I think our back up situation is pretty decent. It’s just that final piece.

This doesn't get talked about enough. Grant is going to bring an element to the 4 that we haven't had in forever. Yes, I know he'll be a freshman, but the point remains.
A frosh who hasn’t played in a year thrown into the B1G

This doesn't get talked about enough. Grant is going to bring an element to the 4 that we haven't had in forever. Yes, I know he'll be a freshman, but the point remains.
Pike is already talking him up. He’ll likely play some next season including conference games.

A frosh who hasn’t played in a year thrown into the B1G
Legit concern of course, but I assume Grant will get adjusted to playing against B1G caliber players as a result of practicing for weeks with and against B1G players (namely, his teammates) prior to having to play in a B1G game.

Last edited:

Maybe. Someone has to be end of the bench though. Not everyone can plan significant minutes.

Presumably, Grants minutes puts Martini (and his shooting) on the bench.

This also forces Acuff, Derkack, Davis and hopefully a transfer shooter further off the court and out of the "3 guard lineup" HC Pike appears to be favoring.

Reactions: darkcheck
Legit concern of course, but I assume Grant with get adjusted to playing against B1G caliber players as a result of practicing for weeks with and against B1G players (namely, his teammates) prior to having to play in a B1G game.
Big assumption. Like you’re thinking but most of his teammates as of now aren’t B1G players. I hope you’re right though.

Big assumption. Like you’re thinking but most of his teammates as of now aren’t B1G players. I hope you’re right though.
Technically that's true as they haven't played a B1G game. But since, even without another bigman, this is a preseason top 20 ranked team based on the caliber of players we do have. So...

Technically that's true as they haven't played a B1G game. But since, even without another bigman, this is a preseason top 20 ranked team based on the caliber of players we do have. So...
Preseason pollsters don’t play the games. Lol

Maybe. Someone has to be end of the bench though. Not everyone can plan significant minutes.

Presumably, Grants minutes puts Martini (and his shooting) on the bench.

This also forces Acuff, Derkack, Davis and hopefully a transfer shooter further off the court and out of the "3 guard lineup" HC Pike appears to be favoring.
What it means is that you're really not going to see Ace at the 4.Grant was a rebounding machine on the EYBL circuit last year. Martini is the starter and Grant like Sommerville will get some minutes every game.

And no one should look at it as others being forced off the court. Pike has built the one thing many of his teams have been lacking with these transfers - bench depth. All will play critical roles in various games because Pike has guys he can rely upon to get the job done unlike two years ago when there was literally no bench scoring at all and the starters all played 30-33 mpg.

Just today Seton Hall got a commitment from Gus Yalden from Wisconsin who was called Gus the Bus or Gus the tank who we wanted but he chose Wisconsin over us and didn’t play at all this past season and I think he has four years of eligibility. Apparently he has lost forty pounds and is now 240 and 6’8” or 6’9” tall.
I
How do you know RU was even interested? They need a proven guy. Gus is NOT.

So much bad information in this thread, it's impossible to correct it all.

A) Gus Yalden had 2 alcohol drug suspensions and redshirted while not spending any time on the bench or traveling for any Wisconsin games.....he has been essentially on ice for a full year. RU could have easily picked up Yalden, they made the right, safe decision and passed. Seton Hall has NINE entries into the portal, they had no choice but to take a flyer on Yalden.

B) Supreme Cook is a starting caliber big on a roster that doesn't need 30 minutes a game and 13PPG and 10 rebounds. The goal is to get better production out of all 3 bigs this year vs last year.

C) The equation is as follows.....can RU get the same production out of the 5 position with TBD, Sommerville and Ogbole in 2024-25, with fewer shot attempts.....?? Can they get the same amount of rebounds from this group vs Cliff and Wolf?? Or Cliff, Wolf and Reiber 2 years ago??

If Supreme Cook, Sommerville and Ogbole are the potential trio at the 5, they project to be as good as Cliff and Myles as a tandem. In both situations, the 5 position was at best the 4th option on offense and the role was to rebound and defend.

We will not be as good protecting the rim, but should be better in.

FG % from 2 for the season.

FT % for the season.

Same PPG as 4th option on offense vs last year with Cliff as 2nd or 1st choice on offense.

Fewer turnovers.

More assists.

As mentioned by Scarlet83 and RUFanForLife......please follow the podcasts and take 10 minutes reading the premium posts. They are your friend!!.....😁
This

Agree on concept but I think we’re in the market for an MJ type rather than a Cliff. MJ wasn’t looking to be a scorer. Cliff wanted to and got flustered when he wasn’t being set up well as he’s not the best creator. MJ was simply a bruiser with entirely a defensive focus. He’s keep the D honest with put backs but wasn’t looking to force shots. We need that in my opinion - even if it means foul prone. I think our back up situation is pretty decent. It’s just that final piece.
MJ was also a very good passer out of the post

The reality, UNFORTUNATELY, the shot clock is 30 seconds. If the opponent gives light pressure you are looking at 20 seconds once you initiate your offense. Not a lot of time for ball reversals and getting low post touches.

If Ace and Dylan are the offensive weapons we are hoping we don't want to be looking to get the 5 involved in the offense. The 5 is a tool and not a weapon.

Our 5 needs to
1. Defensive rebound...especially if we want to score in transition
2. Protect the rim
3. Be mobile enough to defend the high screen
4. Help our offensive efficiency by getting some offensive rebounds

Luxury is
5. Pull opposing 5 away from basket to knock down 3s
6. Be coordinated enough to be a weapon on a pick and roll
7. Have low post tool box on O

The reality, UNFORTUNATELY, the shot clock is 30 seconds. If the opponent gives light pressure you are looking at 20 seconds once you initiate your offense. Not a lot of time for ball reversals and getting low post touches.

If Ace and Dylan are the offensive weapons we are hoping we don't want to be looking to get the 5 involved in the offense. The 5 is a tool and not a weapon.

Our 5 needs to
2. Protect the rim

Luxury is
I would make 5, 2 and move 2 down to 7 otherwise I agree.
That would be more suitable to winning, this year than what we got from the postion last season.

Our 5 needs to
2. Protect the rim

Luxury is
I think id switch 3 and 2, 6 and 4. I think being able to do something on the pick and roll, especially the short roll, is another area in which we could use help in. Would be nice if whoever the piece is can catch on the roll and make a decision. Cliff couldn't do that. Need someone that isn't a complete after thought after the screen and requires attention if Dylan or Jeremiah gets doubled

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
I would make 5, 2 and move 2 down to 7 otherwise I agree.
That would be more suitable to winning, this year than what we got from the postion last season.
Respectfully.......we couldn't disagree more. This year we may find out the value of a shot blocking 5 if we don't have one. Of course I could be wrong and we don't have a shot blocking 5 and remain in the Top 20 in D without the shot blocking 5.

I think id switch 3 and 2, 6 and 4. I think being able to do something on the pick and roll, especially the short roll, is another area in which we could use help in. Would be nice if whoever the piece is can catch on the roll and make a decision. Cliff couldn't do that. Need someone that isn't a complete after thought after the screen and requires attention if Dylan or Jeremiah gets doubled
The reality is the game is morphing more and more to the 3 pointer so you may be right with the 2 and 3 swapping. As far as the 6 and 4 they both add to offensive efficiency. Just feel like 4 is easier to achieve as it requires less given ability

Reactions: socaldave
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT