ADVERTISEMENT

Ladies & Gentlemen, I Present To You the Worst Song of All Time

RutgersRaRa

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 21, 2011
If you have a better Worst Song, post a link and let's see what you've got. If there was a song that recorded furniture falling on grown pigs it wouldn't be worse than this (hint: Kansas).

Who green-lit this one?

Originally posted by jay_hq:
Uhhh:
Okay, that one kinda makes me angry, but Dust In the Wind makes me want to do drive-by's like no other song.

Originally posted by SkilletHead2:
You guys too young to know Neil Diamond? The man has 1-100 locked down.
We're gonna need a link to your personal choice, Professor. "I Am I Said"? OTOH, Sweet Caroline is a classic.

Originally posted by Source:
10 weeks on the charts including a week at #1. Just play it and then never mention it again.

Remember you forced my hand.
You totally suck for bringing that up. The only thing about that song is that it was meant at as a goof. But you still suck.

Not bad stuff here.

For my money it's

We built this city on rock and roll

10 weeks on the charts including a week at #1. Just play it and then never mention it again.

Remember you forced my hand.
ahhh... the 70s.

We Built This City could easily be number 1. I had to choose and I went with...

"Never have so many done so little for so few" to pick the winner.

Originally posted by RutgersRaRa:
If you have a better Worst Song, post a link and let's see what you've got. If there was a song that recorded furniture falling on grown pigs it wouldn't be worse than this (hint: Kansas).
Always loved "Dust in the Wind." And Neil Diamond is one of the great pop tunesmiths ever (although I hate "Coming to America" and a few others of his).

Here's the worst song ever...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jofNR_WkoCE

RaRa,

It's so hard to pick among Neil's classics: Cracklin' Rosie, Sweet Caroline, I Am I Said, Solitary Man, September Morn, Forever in Blue Jeans, Cherry Cherry, Thank the Lord for the Nighttime, Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon, Play Me, Touching You Touching Me. OK, I've inflicted enough pain.

I would listen to five Moody Blues songs in order to avoid listening to one Neil Diamond song. OK, four.

And Dust in the Wind is indeed really bad. Have to give you that. I just never thought about it much.

Originally posted by RU848789:

Always loved "Dust in the Wind." And Neil Diamond is one of the great pop tunesmiths ever (although I hate "Coming to America" and a few others of his).

That's not a real song.

Most of these songs are just run of the mill suck. Very few are truly offensive and even a couple are good.

Seriously 'We are the World' is offensive on so many levels. It was a cheap knockoff of an offensive song written by a shanty Irish charlatan. It was a me too response by a bunch of self important douchebags who raised money for dictators in Africa.

Then to top it all off Quincy Jones told John Denver he wasn't cool enough to be in their little garbage self important club that had Lionel Richie and Kenny effin Rogers were in. How is that cool?

"..You totally suck for bringing that up. The only thing about that song is that it was meant at as a goof. But you still suck..."

Oh, I see. You want the worst song that wasn't a goof. And you think "Dust In The Wind" is that song? Not even close.

6 Weeks On The Chart in 1971

Originally posted by RU848789:

That song and video were absurd.

But not the most absurd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbGkxcY7YFU

"..You totally suck for bringing that up. The only thing about that song is that it was meant at as a goof. But you still suck..."

Oh, I see. You want the worst song that wasn't a goof. And you think "Dust In The Wind" is that song? Not even close.
On whininess alone, "Dust in the Wind" finishes in the top 10 worst, then add to it the droopiness and hopelessness of the message, coupled with vocals that are as pleasant as tree branches cracking in high wind, and you have the worst song of all time. Of course your choice was up there, mostly because of that video (I hope you picked up on my late-night agreement with your choice, which was emblematized by my agonizing acknowledgement that "you suck" for inflicting it on me--nothing permanent, just temporary. :-)

And there are some really bad songs in here, but Skillet, I have to say that I like most of Neal's songs.

I'll go with anything by Ton Orlando. Knock Three Times, or Tie a Yellow Ribbon. The Carpenters would do nicely as well. Muskrat Love or Close to You.

Originally posted by WhatsTheWord:
I would offer any song by Bobby Sherman or Neil Sadaka.
I had dinner with Neil Sedaka once back in the 80's. Had a crush on Bobby Sherman along with every other girl. Bat out of Hell is a classic...the whole album is. How does anyone hate Neil Diamond?

I think any rap song sucks. Too many to post. non rap song? I'll go with Donny & Marie singing I'm a Little Bit Country.

Osmonds

Watching Scotty Grow has a Cat's In the Cradle feel to it, which was a great song, but I'd never heard Scotty before. Kind of a weenie song, so I'll give you that, but not nearly as whiny as Dust In the Wind. Plus the dude could at least sing, whereas Kansas has the vocal range of Bob Dylan.

The carpenters didn't do Muskrat Love.That was The Captain and Tennille.

Why not have a 64 song tournament?

Must of these songs are gold compared to done of the ones that come out in pop nowadays, as well as the rap world From basically the late 2000s and on.

Originally posted by RUhasarrived:
The carpenters didn't do Muskrat Love.That was The Captain and Tennille.

Why not have a 64 song tournament?
That's right. Thank you. It's funny, because I was thinking about nominating them for Do That to Me One More Time or Love will Keep us Together. Couldn't stand them. Although Toni Tenille sang one of the best versions of the Star Spangled Banner I have ever heard. Think it was at a baseball game. Absolutely stunned me.

Not even close to the worst song of all time. It's perhaps a little depressing (nothing new there) but it's certainly not a terrible song. Want one of the worst songs ever.? ...try "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro...a truly deperessing and wrist cutting song on many levels. I believe it was recorded in 1968 or 1969 and was a very big pop hit...which just shows that there has always been popular but hideous pop music. I also get a kick out of people who sometimes hammer 70s music...compared to what? the lightweight 80s? Apparently people weren't listening to rock music in the 1970 - 1974 period. Some of the best music in rock history was recorded in that period.

We Built This City is definitely awful but I get downright angry when Loveshack comes on

Shake It Off by Taylor Dayne of recent songs

We Are The World....Usa for Africa

How on earrh can people put songs like Dust In The Wind as worst...you are kidding me..not even close. So many bad songs from the past decade to choose from

There has to be some ground rules here. I think in order to qualify, the song had to at least be in the mainstream at some point. There are so many songs that people could just make in their basement that are god awful, but I think the intent was to nominate songs that actually got radio play time, but are now just downright offensive.

First of all, Neil Diamond is a national treasure. It's not REALLY his fault that the cruise ship set has ruined "Sweet Caroline".

There's such a big 70s contingent here, I'm really surprised that nobody has called out Paper Lace or Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods.

I mention both because "Billy Don't Be a Hero", which definitely could be in the running for Worst Song Ever, was originally recorded and released in the UK by Paper Lace, but recorded and released in the US by Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods. This is curious because Paper Lace wasn't entirely unknown here in the states - they had a Top 10 single with the equally bad "Night Chicago Died".

There was more awfulness in the 70s than we could ever catalog in one thread. It started in 1970 with "Indiana Wants Me" and continued right up through the entire disco movement.

But it's my belief that the worst song ever is Seasons in the Sun, by Terry Jacks.

Worst song that always gets played?

Whatever that dumb song is after the Basketball Championship Game is over wins that award by a longshot.

I don't care what videos/highlights they show....I always change the channel to hear commentary from ESPN as soon as the game is over.

Man, just because you guys hate songs doesn't make them the worse song out there.

Now, this song's bad, but it's entertaining like a terribly bad movie that becomes a cult classic.

Rapping Duke

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT