ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma President - Big 12 should Strive for 12 Teams

I think that the article linked above comes pretty close to hitting the target with the 5 expansion candidates it lists for the B12. I'm somewhat skeptical about the $$ figures for cable subscribers to a B12 network but otherwise the schools themselves make the best sense, though none has the sex appeal that an FSU or a Clemson would have had two or three years back. In comparative terms, ECU is not really competitive with those schools as it is rather distant from the primary markets in NC, which are largely dominated by UNC and NC State fans.

I think that the article linked above comes pretty close to hitting the target with the 5 expansion candidates it lists for the B12. I'm somewhat skeptical about the $$ figures for cable subscribers to a B12 network but otherwise the schools themselves make the best sense, though none has the sex appeal that an FSU or a Clemson would have had two or three years back. In comparative terms, ECU is not really competitive with those schools as it is rather distant from the primary markets in NC, which are largely dominated by UNC and NC State fans.

Don't think sex appeal matters...same reason for Maryland's jump to Big Ten, RU's invite, Colorado's jump to Pac-12, Mizzou and A&M jump to SEC...TCU jump into the Big 12 (after A&M left), etc...its all about getting network on cable/sat.

Big 12 currently has 60% of its conf membership in just 2 states (hard to start a national or even a regional TV network in that scenario), and 80% of its membership in just 3 states.

SWC died in the past because it was schools in just 2 states (Texas and Arkansas).

Big 12 might have that same fate if they don't expand too.

(Going to 14 would provide some protection if they lost a member or two).

Reactions: American Male
I think you are downplaying ECUs statewide appeal. Just remember - VT is 2 hours further from Richmond, Norfolk and DC than UVa is. Blacksburg couldnt be more middle of nowhere.

I think you are downplaying ECUs statewide appeal. Just remember - VT is 2 hours further from Richmond, Norfolk and DC than UVa is. Blacksburg couldnt be more middle of nowhere.

If East Carolina is so great, then why didn't anyone else pick them up? They would have been a much better fit in the SEC East that Missouri, and they would have gotten the North Carolina market for the SEC. But, that didn't happen. Nobody wanted them.

r a c k said:
Somehow I doubt you are "American Male"

Click on the profile!

:sunglasses:
Clicked it on and you did look like an "American Male"
bruce-jenner-s-decathlon-olympic-gold-1103071-TwoByOne.jpg

B12 needs to get out of tornado ally and go straight to 16 schools if they're going to have a TV Network. As far west as San Diego and east as Orlando. Whatever major markets they decide to fill in the middle is up to them.

It's a great market if you want to reach Tourists in their Hotel Rooms and Time Shares ( this is what skews market numbers )

Actually it doesn't...as DMA's are for resident purposes for households (hence the 2.3 Million residence in the Orlando metro area).

That number doesn't take into effect the record 62 Million visitors that came to Orlando/Central Florida in 2014.

Orlando sets US Tourism record with 62 Million visitors in 2014
http://media.visitorlando.com/press...lion-Visitors-Sets-New-Record-For-US-Tourism/

B12 needs to get out of tornado ally and go straight to 16 schools if they're going to have a TV Network. As far west as San Diego and east as Orlando. Whatever major markets they decide to fill in the middle is up to them.
LOL. Still pimping this solution, even though it failed the Big East. It failed the AAC. It has failed CUSA for a decade and before them the aptly named Metro Conference. It wont work. The SEC has an average of 6.8 million people per school. The Big 12 right now has 3.9 and none of the available teams actually raise that - unless you count Temple.

If East Carolina is so great, then why didn't anyone else pick them up? They would have been a much better fit in the SEC East that Missouri, and they would have gotten the North Carolina market for the SEC. But, that didn't happen. Nobody wanted them.
Because no one else is that desperate. The ACC doesnt need NC teams. The Big Ten and SEC can afford to be picky with academics and non-FB sports (which bring presitge but little money). Why didnt anyone else pick up WVU except the Big 12?

Im not saying they are a gold mine that will bring in the whole state, Im saying given the choice of teams with small fan bases in mid-sized markets that are already dominated by other teams, or a team with a bigger fan base in a state that isnt dominated by a P5 team, Im picking the big fan base.

Here are the attendance stats for the non-P5 teams last year
BYU - 57,141
ECU - 44,786
UCF - 37, 812
Fresno - 34,876
Army - 34,262
Memphis - 33,851
Boise - 32,504
Navy - 32,502
San Diego - 32,406
USF - 30,694
CIncinnati - 28,840

Clearly BYU is head and shoulders above everyone else - basically a P5 team. But ECU is a clear second (and this is basically the same every year). Ahead of all of the other by quite a bit, and in fact ahead of 17 P5 teams (all of whom are obviously playing much better schedules than ECU and getting much bigger travelling contingents.

LOL. Still pimping this solution, even though it failed the Big East. It failed the AAC. It has failed CUSA for a decade and before them the aptly named Metro Conference. It wont work. The SEC has an average of 6.8 million people per school. The Big 12 right now has 3.9 and none of the available teams actually raise that - unless you count Temple.
LOL Yup because I know it's never been tried before and am confident a power 5 conference can make it work. With teams on the east and west coast programming will be almost be none stop. TCU and Baylor didn't roll over and play dead dog to nobody and niether ECU, UCF, Memphis, Cinncinati, San Diego and Fresno. Ambitions are greater than traditions.

LOL Yup because I know it's never been tried before and am confident a power 5 conference can make it work. With teams on the east and west coast programming will be almost be none stop. TCU and Baylor didn't roll over and play dead dog to nobody and niether ECU, UCF, Memphis, Cinncinati, San Diego and Fresno. Ambitions are greater than traditions.
Not in College sports they arent. Its entirely built on tradition.

TCU and Baylor arent what is getting the Big 12 its money - Texas is.

ECU isnt even in a major metro area.

While the Big 12 has issues, it certainly is not what the Big East/American was in its dying years.

BYU and Colorado State OR Cincinnati and a Florida school would go a long way toward solving the problems. None of them suck at football, facilities are being or have recently been upgraded at several of them and BYU has a national following (not so much in the East, but that's hardly an issue).

Obviously Texas could make the whole thing fall apart in a heartbeat, but what besides that looming doom makes this conference such a mess? They don't even need to expand, considering their very lucrative deal. Expansion is more like insurance than a necessity. And, of course, giving West Virginia a friend would be a smart move. Still don't know how they didn't grab Louisville and Cincinnati at the same time.

@American Male
While you made some good points you are way off on Texas. Your Tex@ass comment illustrate you have some bias and I get it but every conference in the country will take them in a heartbeat. If things are going to implode they will negotiate the LH network and only ND will be more coveted.

@American Male
You feel free to address the pus-infected boil on the ass of college athletics as Tex@ass anytime! "Those" people don't get mocked nearly as much as they should!! :sunglasses:[thumb2]

@American Male
While you made some good points you are way off on Texas. Your Tex@ass comment illustrate you have some bias and I get it but every conference in the country will take them in a heartbeat. If things are going to implode they will negotiate the LH network and only ND will be more coveted.

My Tex-@$$ comment has more to do with their attitude concerning their precieved god like stature from the Administration and WAY TOO Many Fans!

They do bring a lot to the table...ANY table...But the HEADACHES are as MANY and as BIG!!!

The PAC already told them to take a hike...The BIG has several programs (Nebraska, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State etc...), that are as notable and popular as the Horns, and THEY will NOT bend over backwards to welcome them to the conference!!!

The SEC with Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georiga, Tennessee and now Texas A&M could care less about Tex-@$$ and what they think about their superiority...They DON'T NEED the Horns to SURVIVE!!!

Think about having 4 Super Conferences with Kansas and Oklahoma in the BIG...Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech in the PAC, West Virginia and say Houston to the SEC and Connecticut and Cincinnati to the ACC...Air Force, Army, BYU Navy, Notre Dame and Tex-@$$ all Independents that MUST play each other yearly, and they could fill out thier schedules as needed with old rivials...

BYU: Boise State, Colorado State, Fresno State, San Diego State, Utah, Utah State etc...
Tex-@$$: Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M etc...
Notre Dame: Boston College, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Purdue etc...

Besides, BYU, Notre Dame and Tex-@$$ could keep their seperate TV Deals and NOT have to worry about ANY Conference or team!

The other teams from the AAC, CUSA, MAC or WAC have to figure something out (SEVERAL of those teams DESERVE Better then the fate that hang around their necks), and do what they NEED to do to SURVIVE!

Just a thought

My Tex-@$$ comment has more to do with their attitude concerning their precieved god like stature from the Administration and WAY TOO Many Fans!

They do bring a lot to the table...ANY table...But the HEADACHES are as MANY and as BIG!!!

The PAC already told them to take a hike...The BIG has several programs (Nebraska, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State etc...), that are as notable and popular as the Horns, and THEY will NOT bend over backwards to welcome them to the conference!!!

The SEC with Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georiga, Tennessee and now Texas A&M could care less about Tex-@$$ and what they think about their superiority...They DON'T NEED the Horns to SURVIVE!!!

PAC told them to take a hike bc they wouldn't budge on the LH network. If they worked something out with ESPN they'd be all arms open...probably even get a PAC championship game in Jerry's world. Like em or not next to ND Texas is about as national as it get .

I think you are underestimating the PAC12. I can't see it being left with ISU, TT, OSU, and KState. If anything, it will end up with Texas and Oklahoma, and if need be, their two in-state partners in TT + OSU. And while I could see the B1G wanting KU for academics and bball, I can't ever see OU in the B1G due to academics. It also doesn't add much in the way of TV markets. OU brings football and little else to the table.

PAC told them to take a hike bc they wouldn't budge on the LH network. If they worked something out with ESPN they'd be all arms open...probably even get a PAC championship game in Jerry's world. Like em or not next to ND Texas is about as national as it get .

The LHN is going to be a vice in ANY conference!!!

Why should Cal, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington etc... allow Tex-@$$ to have a higher revenue base then them because of the LHN!?

WHy do you think Arkansas, Colorado, Nebraska and Texas A&M left Tex-@$$ behind...They got tired of the BS that the Horns TRY to FORCE upon EVERY other team they're associated with!!!

The ONLY way ANY conference will work ANYTHING out with ESPN and the LHN is for Bristol to AGREE to turn the LHN into a Conference Network with EQUAL Revenue Sharing!!!

Short of that, Tex-@$$ should become an Independent!

I think you are underestimating the PAC12. I can't see it being left with ISU, TT, OSU, and KState. If anything, it will end up with Texas and Oklahoma, and if need be, their two in-state partners in TT + OSU. And while I could see the B1G wanting KU for academics and bball, I can't ever see OU in the B1G due to academics. It also doesn't add much in the way of TV markets. OU brings football and little else to the table.

I think you're overlooking the fact that the PAC can EXPAND into new markets accepting good teams WITHOUT the worries of having the Big Dogs (Oklahoma and Tex-@$$) surpassing Oregon, UCLA, USC as Top Dog in the PAC...Besides, those teams don't come with ARROGANCE and HEADACHES!!!

Kansas and Oklahoma to the BIG make perfect sense...It reunites them with Nebraska and gives the BIG a Blueblood Program in BOTH Basketball and Football...Oh, and by the way, Nebraska LOST their AAU Status and the BIG still took them!!!

The LHN is going to be a vice in ANY conference!!!

Why should Cal, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington etc... allow Tex-@$$ to have a higher revenue base then them because of the LHN!?

WHy do you think Arkansas, Colorado, Nebraska and Texas A&M left Tex-@$$ behind...They got tired of the BS that the Horns TRY to FORCE upon EVERY other team they're associated with!!!

The ONLY way ANY conference will work ANYTHING out with ESPN and the LHN is for Bristol to AGREE to turn the LHN into a Conference Network with EQUAL Revenue Sharing!!!

Short of that, Tex-@$$ should become an Independent!

Isn't that exactly what I said? To be honest, they won't have to budge 100% as we see with the ACC allowing ND to dictate terms.

Isn't that exactly what I said? To be honest, they won't have to budge 100% as we see with the ACC allowing ND to dictate terms.

Notre Dame is on BORROWED Time...At some point, its ALL In or ALL Out!!!

Like I said earlier, IMHO, I believe that Air Force, Army, BYU, Navy, Notre Dame and Tex-@$$ ALL should be Independents...that SOLVES a lot of issues!!!

Notre Dame is on BORROWED Time...At some point, its ALL In or ALL Out!!!

Like I said earlier, IMHO, I believe that Air Force, Army, BYU, Navy, Notre Dame and Tex-@$$ ALL should be Independents...that SOLVES a lot of issues!!!

How are the taxes in la la land? ND and Texas have premierOlympic Sports they aren't playing Patriot league teams and neons truly independent is impossible for Olympic sports. When ND and Texas decide it's time the bidding wars will start.

All of this Big XII talk makes me wonder about West Virginia. I haven't really followed them since they left the Big East. Does anyone know what the consensus is down there on life in their new conference?

How are the taxes in la la land? ND and Texas have premierOlympic Sports they aren't playing Patriot league teams and neons truly independent is impossible for Olympic sports. When ND and Texas decide it's time the bidding wars will start.

Ever heard of the AAC/CUSA/MAC/WAC...Let their Olympic Sports play in them...Or they can ALL play each other in the INDEPENDENT Conference they are members of...This is NOT a HARD concept to GRASP...Well, for MOST of US anyway!!!

The NORMAL College Football World (AD's, Board of Trustees, Coaches, Conferences, Fans, Presidents etc...), are NO longer in aw of the Irish or Longhorns...There will NOT be a bidding war for either of them...It's either play NICE, or you can play with yourself!

All the G5 and P5 Conference Teams have to do, is to REFUESE to play Notre Dame and Tex-@$$...TRY and have ANY Sports Programs if you've got noone to compete against!!!

The rest of the College Sports World have a LOT more POWER over Notre LAME and Tex-@$$ than they know, and if they EVER Wake-Up, its OVER for them!!!

Last edited:
All of this Big XII talk makes me wonder about West Virginia. I haven't really followed them since they left the Big East. Does anyone know what the consensus is down there on life in their new conference?

On the positive side, they bring in more revenue; but they are a truly isolated entity within the conference, they have no natural or geographic rivals, and their expenses have gone through the roof. They don't have a single within driving distance conference partner…

this thread was good reading now it's getting entertaining

:popcorn:

So when Texas meets up with Notre Dame on week 1 of this upcoming season, who are we rooting for? What's more evil? The Independent program with the special deal who doesn't like to play friendly in the sandbox with others (old man get off my lawn syndrome)? or the program with its own TV network, making revenue off the backs of the other Big 12 programs who are unable to be compensated for a conference network (form of Lord - Vassal relationship)?

So when Texas meets up with Notre Dame on week 1 of this upcoming season, who are we rooting for? What's more evil? The Independent program with the special deal who doesn't like to play friendly in the sandbox with others (old man get off my lawn syndrome)? or the program with its own TV network, making revenue off the backs of the other Big 12 programs who are unable to be compensated for a conference network (form of Lord - Vassal relationship)?

We're hoping for a sink-hole to open up and dispose of both teams and fans!!!

[banana][cheers]:cool2:

:pimp:

East Carolina has potential but their problem is that they have no TV market. When I was living in Raleigh, the only time that their games received any attention was when they were playing UNC or NC State. The rest of the time, pretty much the only coverage they received was in the "other local scores" section of the news along with teams like NC Central.

KKNMa3p.gif

Yet another image surfaces to fully explain all this OU/the big dumpster fire conference and the new rumors of OU to the SEC! :joy:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT