ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2019 NY Yankees Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why, you aren’t entitled to a championship. If you didn’t notice Houston is a pretty good team.
Hes got all the money and cant get them to the WS for 10 years now. Thats terrible results.

He brought in guys who cant cut it in the playoffs. Its time to axe that clown.

Why, you aren’t entitled to a championship. If you didn’t notice Houston is a pretty good team.

I'll give you a reason ... this is like the 6th season in a row where ten minutes after the season ended I said, "Well, nothing is going to change until (1) we get two top tier #1 pitchers, and (2) we stop making half the lineup homerun-or-strike out players." This is of course, obvious to anyone who has watched baseball for more than a season. And this will be the 6th season in a row where Cashman talks about getting value and worrying about the bullpen and not correcting the two clearly obvious flaws in the team.

The guy has the most money to spend. If the Yankees aren't the clear-cut favorite every year, he did a bad job. He doesn't have to win every year (that's why you play games), but if you have the most resources, you should be the best team every year. We weren't even the third best team in this year's playoffs.

Cole and Strasburg are going to be free agents this off-season. He can go get them (dump everyone else you have to in order to make it work within the budget) or we can dick around for another three of four seasons (wasting Judge and Torres and DJ's prime).

I'll give you a reason ... this is like the 6th season in a row where ten minutes after the season ended I said, "Well, nothing is going to change until (1) we get two top tier #1 pitchers, and (2) we stop making half the lineup homerun-or-strike out players." This is of course, obvious to anyone who has watched baseball for more than a season. And this will be the 6th season in a row where Cashman talks about getting value and worrying about the bullpen and not correcting the two clearly obvious flaws in the team.

The guy has the most money to spend. If the Yankees aren't the clear-cut favorite every year, he did a bad job. He doesn't have to win every year (that's why you play games), but if you have the most resources, you should be the best team every year. We weren't even the third best team in this year's playoffs.

Cole and Strasburg are going to be free agents this off-season. He can go get them (dump everyone else you have to in order to make it work within the budget) or we can dick around for another three of four seasons (wasting Judge and Torres and DJ's prime).
Best minor league talent, unlimited money, and yet Cashman tried to get deGrom on the cheap, at a time the Mets were ready to trade and retool either deGrom or Thor. After sweeping the Twinkies, you could have had deGrom pitch 3 times against the Astros!!!

Last edited:

This isn't fantasy sports. You can't just:

Get #1 pitchers if they aren't available or do it without giving up major assets.

Spend excessive amounts of money without ownership letting you.

Stop other teams from being good or better.

Reactions: RW90 and MitchLL
we got this
Three times in the last 5, can you say"Houston is your Daddy"?
BasicBrownGoral-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: shields
This isn't fantasy sports. You can't just:

Get #1 pitchers if they aren't available or do it without giving up major assets.

Spend excessive amounts of money without ownership letting you.

Stop other teams from being good or better.
The minor leagues are loaded with talent. It's ok to use them for pitching instead of more sluggers who strike out a lot like Encarnacion. The Yanks had no need for his talent at all anytime this season.
Cashman wasn't held back by money constraints. He is playing the Moneyball game. Unless ownership gets involved Cashman will not have serious discussion for Cole.

Reactions: sunsetregret
The minor leagues are loaded with talent. It's ok to use them for pitching instead of more sluggers who strike out a lot like Encarnacion. The Yanks had no need for his talent at all anytime this season.
Cashman wasn't held back by money constraints. He is playing the Moneyball game. Unless ownership gets involved Cashman will not have serious discussion for Cole.
The Yankees are in the bottom half of the MLB when it comes to prospects. We are not loaded with talent. We were loaded, but now those guys are up.

I agree they should go all in for Cole. I have no idea if they will.

The Encanarcion thing is over and done. I doubt he's coming back. He wasn't a difference maker but he wasn't a total wash. I'll give you that he blew in the playoffs.

Once again, the Yanks should be cleaning up in free agency, like they used to. Then they can have their prospects and still roll like the big boys. Management doesn't want to spend beyond the luxury tax. If they did, we'd have your #1 pitchers. Hopefully they're pissed off and go all out this year.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
The Yankees are in the bottom half of the MLB when it comes to prospects. We are not loaded with talent. We were loaded, but now those guys are up.

The Encanarcion thing is over and done. I doubt he's coming back. He wasn't a difference maker but he wasn't a total wash. I'll give you that he blew in the playoffs.

Once again, the Yanks should be cleaning up in free agency, like they used to. Then they can have their prospects and still roll like the big boys. Management doesn't want to spend beyond the luxury tax. If they did, we'd have your #1 pitchers. Hopefully they're pissed off and go all out this year.
Cole or MB and then rotation looks fine for next season:
Sevi, Tanaka, Cole/MB, Paxton, Garcia.....Happ and German also as options. They need to look for a lefty contact hitter.

And resign DJ to a 30 year contract. He is a championship player.

Reactions: RUDave_01
During the regular season the Yankees RISP was .294.

Stanton and Encarnación went 1-21 with 13Ks. Then throw in Sanchez who added brutal defense to his futility at the plate. Let's call Stanton, Encarnación and Sanchez, the 3Ks. There was no way you were going to beat Houston with the 3Ks clogging your lineup.

Imagine this series with Ford at DH, Romine catching and Tauchman in the outfield (he was ready to return according to Cashman). A few timely hits from those three and the outcome may have been different.

Cashman loves the HR or K guys. Malpractice, I say.

Don't be surprised if Cashman insists on signing Encarnación to what he calls a team friendly contract. Sure the 3Ks will hit 30 HRs each but most of them will come when it doesn't count against mediocre pitching.

The Yankees will never win a series with the 3Ks or even just the 2Ks if Cashman doesn't resign Encarnación.

And yes it can get worse. Romine was given the finger by Cashman/Boone this series and he will not be back. Sanchez didn't catch 4 straight days all season but Boone thought now was the time to go that way with more Boonespeak to boot: Gary's looking good, Blah Blah.

The subs made it a great season and then the 3Ks came back just in time to ruin it.

Last edited:
During the regular season the Yankees RISP was .294.

Stanton and Encarnación went 1-21 with 13Ks. Then throw in Sanchez who added brutal defense to his futility at the plate. Let's call Stanton, Encarnación and Sanchez, the 3Ks. There was no way you were going to beat Houston with the 3Ks clogging your lineup.

Imagine this series with Ford at DH, Romine catching and Tauchman in the outfield (he was ready to return according to Cashman). A few timely hits from those three and the outcome may have been different.

Cashman loves the HR or K guys. Malpractice, I say.

Don't be surprised if Cashman insists on signing Encarnación to what he calls a team friendly contract. Sure the 3Ks will hit 30 HRs each but most of them will come when it doesn't count against mediocre pitching.

The Yankees will never win a series with the 3Ks or even just the 2Ks if Cashman doesn't resign Encarnación.

And yes it can get worse. Romine was given the finger by Cashman/Boone this series and he will not be back. Sanchez didn't catch 4 straight days all season but Boone thought now was the time to go that way with more Boonespeak to boot: Gary's looking good, Blah Blah.

The subs made it a great season and then the 3Ks came back just in time to ruin it.

Are the "3K's" your nickname or did that come elewhere?

And we all knew- Houston was going to be a real problem in the playoffs- Dodgers could have also given the Yanks a hard time too.
You guys were kind of put in a hard spot for these playoffs- The guys that really helped get the Yankees to a great record and made for a fun season of mixing in small ball along with the HR were never going to stay your starters when the big name big money guys came back. Stanton, EE and Sanchez are all good players for a long season but have a lot of holes in their games that can hurt in the field and be taken advantage of in a short series. On the other hand- they can get hot and carry a team too.
It will be an interesting off season for sure...

Are the "3K's" your nickname or did that come elewhere?

And we all knew- Houston was going to be a real problem in the playoffs- Dodgers could have also given the Yanks a hard time too.
You guys were kind of put in a hard spot for these playoffs- The guys that really helped get the Yankees to a great record and made for a fun season of mixing in small ball along with the HR were never going to stay your starters when the big name big money guys came back. Stanton, EE and Sanchez are all good players for a long season but have a lot of holes in their games that can hurt in the field and be taken advantage of in a short series. On the other hand- they can get hot and carry a team too.
It will be an interesting off season for sure...
Game 2 was our moment, but we let it slip away. Win game 2 and we would have been fine.

Heard interview about Cole, more of a chance he goes closer to home which would be the Angels.

I thought the catches by Reddick and Brantley along with the passed ball by Sanchez on a strikeout epitomized the series. The Astros made the plays and the Yanks didn't. Encarnacion's 1-18 with 11 ks hurt but Houston's dh wasn't much better. I don't know if the stats bear this out, but it seemed Houston's home runs came with guys on base whereas the Yanks were solo shots. I agree with the poster above and thought before the series started that the Yankees would've been better served with Ford and Tauchman versus Encarnacion and Stanton adding two left handed bats to face the Astros righthanders.

Encarnacion won't be picked up. I think Didi will be gone unless he takes a huge cut. Problem is between Stanton and Ellesbury the Yankees are out 50 million a year. Stop with the Sanchez nonsense. Find me a better catcher in MLB. Yankees are a all or nothing team with HR/SO.

I don't see management worrying about the cap since they reset it. It isn't a big hit as it used to be.
I just think Cashman thinks he is smarter than others and get like value cheap. He was smarter with DJ. What a home run acquisition that was but his pitching pickups not so much.
And yes you have to overpay to get top line pitching.

I don't think $$$ will be an issue with Gerritt Cole. Those top guys likely don't care about $28M per year vs $31M per year.... or what ever salary you use.

I'm for getting MadBum/Straburg. MadBum can have a Verlander type resurgence.

Cashman's failure was doing nothing at the trade deadline this year. My other hope is finding a left handed hitting first baseman, even if they have to overpay. Use German/Andujar as bait.

I don't think $$$ will be an issue with Gerritt Cole. Those top guys likely don't care about $28M per year vs $31M per year.... or what ever salary you use.

I'm for getting MadBum/Straburg. MadBum can have a Verlander type resurgence.

Cashman's failure was doing nothing at the trade deadline this year. My other hope is finding a left handed hitting first baseman, even if they have to overpay. Use German/Andujar as bait.
So your plan is to use a guy on suspension and a guy injured all year to get a high end starter. Good plan. You also still have Bird and Elsbury available for trade.

Encarnacion won't be picked up. I think Didi will be gone unless he takes a huge cut. Problem is between Stanton and Ellesbury the Yankees are out 50 million a year. Stop with the Sanchez nonsense. Find me a better catcher in MLB. Yankees are a all or nothing team with HR/SO.
Romine

Agree, Steinbrenner has to channel the old man and pay big for a lights out pitcher.

Also have to wonder what went on with all the injuries. What is wrong with their training?

Is Larry Rotschild the answer? Do you write a nice check and try to get the Astros Pitching Coach? I know LR has a big reputation from Atlanta but whose game has he lifted? Who has come here and realized their potential? Nobody.

Reactions: drewbagel423
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT