ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2019 NY Yankees Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1 i want my catcher to be a contact hitter and not a defensive liability.

#2 there was no need to get stanton

#3 neglecting starting pitching deserves firing cashman

Its the yankees, you cant go 10 years without a ws appearance with their resources. You guys getting on schiano at rutgers but not cashman for the yankees? Pathetic and hypocritical

Encarnacion won't be picked up. I think Didi will be gone unless he takes a huge cut. Problem is between Stanton and Ellesbury the Yankees are out 50 million a year. Stop with the Sanchez nonsense. Find me a better catcher in MLB. Yankees are a all or nothing team with HR/SO.
Romine. Better defense, base running,
Pitching is better with Romine in. Never
See Romine 0 for 20 or 2 for 30.
Plus Romine has never been suspended for insubordination.

Agree, Steinbrenner has to channel the old man and pay big for a lights out pitcher.

Also have to wonder what went on with all the injuries. What is wrong with their training?

Is Larry Rotschild the answer? Do you write a nice check and try to get the Astros Pitching Coach? I know LR has a big reputation from Atlanta but whose game has he lifted? Who has come here and realized their potential? Nobody.

I tend to agree with a big but...Suppose the Yankees aren't evaluating players with an eye towards their willingness to do the work to improve.

Is Marcus Thames at fault for Stanton's, Sanchez's and Encarnación's failure to adjust? Perhaps or perhaps all three are unwilling to do with Cody Bellinger did this year--put in the countless hours it takes to change grooved in habits.

There is a book title "What Got You Here, Won't Get You There." In other words Stanton is getting $30M a year and he doesn't seem to have the professional pride to tear his game down and learn plate discipline. Neither does Sanchez.

Or is Marcus Thames a poor coach? Who knows? In any case, people are not being held accountable. In fact, not only are they not accountable but they are rewarded. They played no matter how poorly they performed.

This isn't fantasy sports. You can't just:

Get #1 pitchers if they aren't available or do it without giving up major assets.

Then give up major assets. This year you might not even have to because there will likely be three available in free agency (which never happens) - Cole, Strasburg and Bumgarner. But it has to be two; one is not enough. We've had 15 years now of half-assing it with the pitching and going out and getting a portion of what is necessary, not everything that is required. The Yankees need two #1 starters if they want to be World Series favorites next year (not one). Cole, Strasburg, Tanaka, Severino is a playoff rotation that wins a World Series (regardless of who is in our lineup). It probably would mean letting Didi, Encarnacion, Gardner all go, paying half of Stanton's salary to get rid of him (or maybe packaging Sanchez, Frazier or Andujar with him to get a team to agree to a trade), and maybe losing a reliever or two. But enough screwing around.

Spend excessive amounts of money without ownership letting you.

Is there any evidence the Steinbrenners have prevented Cashman from having the highest payroll in the league?

Stop other teams from being good or better.

In this instance, he actually could have fairly easily. All Cashman had to do was complete the trade for Verlander and he'd have another WS ring (at least one) and the Astros would have none.

Last edited:
Reactions: MitchLL
Then give up major assets. This year you might not even have to because there will likely be three available in free agency (which never happens) - Cole, Strasburg and Bumgarner. But it has to be two; one is not enough. We've had 15 years now of half-assing it with the pitching and going out and getting a portion of what is necessary, not everything that is required.

Is there any evidence the Steinbrenners have prevented Cashman from having the highest payroll in the league?

In this instance, he actually could have fairly easily. All Cashman had to do was complete the trade for Verlander and he'd have another WS ring (at least one) and the Astros would have none.
Verlander blew when he got traded. Nobody knew he was going to be this good. He's had his 2 best career years once he hit Houston. /

The evidence they aren't allowing him is the steady parroting of "we don't need to be over the luxury tax" from Hal and Cashman. They've only said it a billion times since they went under the tax.

Major assets for a number 1 starter is Gleyber Torres. That's what teams were asking for this summer. Is that what you want to do? Nobody is taking on a hurt/no production player even if they're young.

Verlander blew when he got traded. Nobody knew he was going to be this good. He's had his 2 best career years once he hit Houston.

That is the job of a major league General Manager. If Cashman didn't figure it out, it's on him. Sorry, that is entirely his job.

Major assets for a number 1 starter is Gleyber Torres. That's what teams were asking for this summer. Is that what you want to do? Nobody is taking on a hurt/no production player even if they're young.

No that is our best asset. The team has other major assets. We keep being told Sanchez is the best catcher in baseball. Andujar led the majors in doubles two years ago as a rookie 3rd basemen. Frazier is considered a blue chip outfield prospect. German just had a great first full season in the majors.

If Sanchez is so F'ing good (and that all we hear in the media) why can't we trade him for a #1 pitcher?

Verlander blew when he got traded. Nobody knew he was going to be this good. He's had his 2 best career years once he hit Houston. /

The evidence they aren't allowing him is the steady parroting of "we don't need to be over the luxury tax" from Hal and Cashman. They've only said it a billion times since they went under the tax.

Please stop with the Gleyber nonsense. Who did the Pirates get for Cole? Non were all star quality and non were potential rookies of the year.
What did the Mets give up for Stroman, a bunch of players I have never heard of. Keuchel was available. They passed.
The Yankees wanted to get under the cap a few years ago to reset the penalty. Now that they are under I haven't heard the Steinbrenners state the won't go over again.

Reactions: NickKnight 1
That is the job of a major league General Manager. If Cashman didn't figure it out, it's on him. Sorry, that is entirely his job.

No that is our best asset. The team has other major assets. We keep being told Sanchez is the best catcher in baseball. Andujar led the majors in doubles two years ago as a rookie 3rd basemen. Frazier is considered a blue chip outfield prospect. German just had a great first full season in the majors.

If Sanchez is so F'ing good (and that all we hear in the media) why can't we trade him for a #1 pitcher?
lol - EVERY person you just mentioned has major issues.

Sanchez - defense
Andjuar - injury, defense
Frazier - defense, attitude
German - beat the shit out of his g/f, suspended

You don't have to respond. I can't argue about it anymore. Go fire Cashman and see what else you can find that will be successful in the pressure cooker of NY. The only people who think Cash isn't a top 3-5 GM are Yankee fans.

Please stop with the Gleyber nonsense. Who did the Pirates get for Cole? Non were all star quality and non were potential rookies of the year.
What did the Mets give up for Stroman, a bunch of players I have never heard of. Keuchel was available. They passed.
The Yankees wanted to get under the cap a few years ago to reset the penalty. Now that they are under I haven't heard the Steinbrenners state the won't go over again.
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb...cussions-for-starter/h34qrstacgj1o4qx01mvoykf

Sanchez - defense

You don't have to respond. I can't argue about it anymore. Go fire Cashman and see what else you can find that will be successful in the pressure cooker of NY. The only people who think Cash isn't a top 3-5 GM are Yankee fans.
There are many more than 3-5 GMs that have won World Series since 2009. I think all but the Cubs had lower salaries than the Yankees.

No shit they all asked. But Cashman could have easily beat the Mets and Astros offerings without Gleyber being part of it. I'm sure Cashman "asked" for Cole for a bag of baseballs and was turned down.
And how about his trades for Stanton and Encarnacion? How are they working out?? Both completely unnecessary when they happened. He still thinks you can slug your way to a WS Championship

Sanchez - defense

I don't have to respond, but I will ... all we hear is that Sanchez is the best catcher in baseball. Andujar should have been Rookie of the Year last year (I think he finished second). The only person who has an issue with Frazier's attitude is Cashman. And I don't care if German murdered someone in Time's Square, he had an all-star caliber season and he's 26 (not to mention, I believe in due process, but that's another issue entirely).

EDIT: But again, this is all moot because Cole, Bumgarner and (likely) Strasburg will all be free agents this offseason. That's a miracle that happens every two decades or so. Open up the checkbook and go get two of them. This is not hindsight (as it will be claimed to be a year from now when we didn't go get two of them), this is foresight.

Last edited:
Laughable that being a "top 3-5" gm means something when its the Yankees. Hes got the #1 resources organization behind him... he should bebthe #1 gm. Were not asking him to find top talent on a budget.

GO GET SOME STARTING PITCHING. Thats all hes had to do. Instead, we've gotten sluggers who cant even make contact with the ball in the alcs.

Fire the bum!

Reactions: shields
I don't have to respond, but I will ... all we hear is that Sanchez is the best catcher in baseball. Andujar should have been Rookie of the Year last year (I think he finished second). The only person who has an issue with Frazier's attitude is Cashman. And I don't care if German murdered someone in Time's Square, he had an all-star caliber season and he's 26 (not to mention, I believe in due process, but that's another issue entirely).

EDIT: But again, this is all moot because Cole, Bumgarner and (likely) Strasburg will all be free agents this offseason. That's a miracle that happens every two decades or so. Open up the checkbook and go get two of them. This is not hindsight (as it will be claimed to be a year from now when we didn't go get two of them), this is foresight.
Id be shocked if yankees get cole or bumgarner. Cole will will either stay in Houston or go to the west coast where he’s from. Bumgarner wants nothing to do with nyc or the Yankees. Strassburg is a possibility given how slimy boras is

Last edited:
Game 2 was our moment, but we let it slip away. Win game 2 and we would
Game 2 was our moment, but we let it slip away. Win game 2 and we would have been fine.
Huh? How does a 2-1 lead in the 5th inning and 6 hits in the whole game constitute “ our moment and we let game 2 slip away”? Houston got to the “ all star” bullpen in games 2 and 6 and that’s why they won plus having a better rotation and overall lineup. Winning the close ones were the difference which the better team - the Astros - were able to do.

Gary Sanchez needs to change his approach to hitting. I don't know how you could play at that level, go home at night and not think, "Jeez, I'm watching DJ, Gleybar and Judge all hitting the ball to the opposite field, why don't I go talk to the hitting instructor and learn how to keep my left shoulder down and start ripping those pitches I'm missing by two feet, over the the right side."

Is it a personal decision not to? The guy has a lot of talent but you can just see his mechanics and approach are simply designed to fail except for the four times out of a 100, usually against some three or four starter on a middling team, that he happens to get a pitch in a very narrow area that he can drive.

His career is being wasted.

Reactions: coldsprings
Gary Sanchez needs to change his approach to hitting. I don't know how you could play at that level, go home at night and not think, "Jeez, I'm watching DJ, Gleybar and Judge all hitting the ball to the opposite field, why don't I go talk to the hitting instructor and learn how to keep my left shoulder down and start ripping those pitches I'm missing by two feet, over the the right side."

Is it a personal decision not to? The guy has a lot of talent but you can just see his mechanics and approach are simply designed to fail except for the four times out of a 100, usually against some three or four starter on a middling team, that he happens to get a pitch in a very narrow area that he can drive.

His career is being wasted.

It's on both Gary and the Yankees.

Changing your approach to hitting takes hundreds of hours of difficult work. You have to reprogram your brain to overcome grooved in neural pathways.

Reports of Sanchez's laziness abound so it's not surprising he is not doing the hard work of adjusting. What is infuriating is that the Yankees not only don't insist that he does the needed work, they pander to him.

It's easy to pile on Cash for not getting a front line starter, but no one knows what was available or the asking price in the trade proposals. That said, Cash and their scouts do deserve major props for signing DJ and Urshella.

I'm of the opinion that you could get someone like a Trevor Bauer in a trade and sign Strasburg and feel pretty good. I don't have any idea how long German will be suspended next year, but he's a valuable trade piece, imo.

I'm of the opinion that you could get someone like a Trevor Bauer in a trade and sign Strasburg and feel pretty good. I don't have any idea how long German will be suspended next year, but he's a valuable trade piece, imo.
Is he damaged goods?

[QUOTE="chase07470, post: 4099917, member: 4270"]Gary Sanchez needs to .....[/QUOTE]
...be traded to a team that needs a DH.
Yankees can't trade or even give away Stanton so they should get rid of the 2nd most overrated player on the team.

So how did this trade work out. And no they didn't get a pitcher.
the problem was not getting a pitcher. This trade didn't prevent them from doing that.

He hit 250 in 44 games with 13 HR's. About what I would have expected. The injuries sucked as did his playoff numbers. I wouldn't count it as a success, but it certainly wasn't the total bust you wanted it to be.

the problem was not getting a pitcher. This trade didn't prevent them from doing that.

He hit 250 in 44 games with 13 HR's. About what I would have expected. The injuries sucked as did his playoff numbers. I wouldn't count it as a success, but it certainly wasn't the total bust you wanted it to be.
Not a total bust?? Are you on drugs? 11 strikeouts in 18 at bats. A .056 batting average. No Home Runs, No RBIs in the playoffs. Did nothing during the season that got the Yankees into the playoffs. They never had a need for a DH. And a horrible one at that.

Not a total bust?? Are you on drugs? 11 strikeouts in 18 at bats. A .056 batting average. No Home Runs, No RBIs in the playoffs. Did nothing during the season that got the Yankees into the playoffs. They never had a need for a DH. And a horrible one at that.
Holy cow, you're gonna have a heart attack. Relax.

I said he was a playoff bust but he wasn't a regular season one. His first month as a Yankee was bad, but after that he hit well from July 15th on. His 2nd half stats as a Yankee were:

28 games - 9 HR's, 30 RBI's, .321 BA and .392 OBP.

His biggest issue was getting hurt and begin on the IL so much. Also, his contract cost 7.5 million dollars for his time as a Yankee.

So let me summarize:

Playoff bust - YES
Regular Season bust - NO

By the way, you ain't no Nostradamus about baseball either when you predicted Severino's career was done about midway through this season.

Reactions: T2Kplus10

I said he was a playoff bust but he wasn't a regular season one. His first month as a Yankee was bad, but after that he hit well from July 15th on. His 2nd half stats as a Yankee were:

His biggest issue was getting hurt and begin on the IL so much. Also, his contract cost 7.5 million dollars for his time as a Yankee.

So let me summarize:

Playoff bust - YES
Regular Season bust - NO

By the way, you ain't no Nostradamus about baseball either when you predicted Severino's career was done about midway through this season.
Regular season needed - No.
And I didn't declare Seve might have been done. The Yes Network pregame crew did. Employees of the Yankees

Romine. Better defense, base running,
Pitching is better with Romine in. Never
See Romine 0 for 20 or 2 for 30.
Plus Romine has never been suspended for insubordination.
Romine is a back-up catcher, period, end of story. If you want to dump Sanchez (dumb idea), who do you get to start?

Reactions: RW90

So let me summarize:

Playoff bust - YES
Regular Season bust - NO

People like WhiteBus need to calm down. Last year we lost to a 108-win team and this year we lost to a 107-win team. Not the end of the world. It's hard to win championships, we have a few problems to fix and we will be fine.

I would be concerned about giving Cole a crazy contract. His 2 seasons before Houston were average at best. Once he is off the Houston/Verlander special sauce, he will likely regress.

Reactions: czxqa
During the regular season the Yankees RISP was .294.

Stanton and Encarnación went 1-21 with 13Ks. Then throw in Sanchez who added brutal defense to his futility at the plate. Let's call Stanton, Encarnación and Sanchez, the 3Ks. There was no way you were going to beat Houston with the 3Ks clogging your lineup.

Imagine this series with Ford at DH, Romine catching and Tauchman in the outfield (he was ready to return according to Cashman). A few timely hits from those three and the outcome may have been different.

Cashman loves the HR or K guys. Malpractice, I say.

Don't be surprised if Cashman insists on signing Encarnación to what he calls a team friendly contract. Sure the 3Ks will hit 30 HRs each but most of them will come when it doesn't count against mediocre pitching.

The Yankees will never win a series with the 3Ks or even just the 2Ks if Cashman doesn't resign Encarnación.

And yes it can get worse. Romine was given the finger by Cashman/Boone this series and he will not be back. Sanchez didn't catch 4 straight days all season but Boone thought now was the time to go that way with more Boonespeak to boot: Gary's looking good, Blah Blah.

The subs made it a great season and then the 3Ks came back just in time to ruin it.
You want to replace Stanton, Encarnacion and Sanchez with 2 AAAA players and a backup catcher? That's hilarious. You should realize that all 3 of your replacements also strike a good amount, too. They're not improvements in any way.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
I don't think $$$ will be an issue with Gerritt Cole. Those top guys likely don't care about $28M per year vs $31M per year.... or what ever salary you use.

I'm for getting MadBum/Straburg. MadBum can have a Verlander type resurgence.

Cashman's failure was doing nothing at the trade deadline this year. My other hope is finding a left handed hitting first baseman, even if they have to overpay. Use German/Andujar as bait.

German and Andujar have somewhat limited trade value for different reasons. German has his domestic violence issue which hurts and Andujar is a terrible fielding 3b who just had shoulder surgery.

You want to replace Stanton, Encarnacion and Sanchez with 2 AAAA players and a backup catcher? That's hilarious. You should realize that all 3 of your replacements also strike a good amount, too. They're not improvements in any way.
Did you watch the Yankees the last two seasons? Yankees did exactly that. Replaced (or didn't need Encarnacion) them. Went on to win 100+ games each of the past 2 seasons without them. Sanchez missing half the games last year and 1/3 of this season. Stanton all of this year. None of them missed.

Painful loss but a fun season.
Showed heart in games 5 & 6

A bright future in The Bronx.

Can't say the same in the slums of flushing
Lmao,you just looked like a fool, planning a ticker tape parade, calling a team that's been your daddy, 3 out of the last 5 years schooling you, overrated, yet you find the time to cut on the Mets!!! Listen, if cutting on the Mets helps you get through another EPIC FAIL, I'm happy to have provided that service.:WideSmile:. I'm thinking the Mets young"Core" might win it all before this "New Core 4" which has proven one thing already, it can't win in the pressure that is the playoffs. Alonzo,and company may never get to prove how they would do, but we already know how Judge and company have done. This can't be denied. There clearly isn't anyone that would be called Mr. October in this group!!! They throw around 100 win teams in the AL like candy, watch a 93 win NL East team pull an upset. Wouldn't that be the tell all?:Baseball::Bomb::Beers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT