ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Saint Patrick's Day

RU Analbumcover

Sophomore
Aug 31, 2011
What's the best St. Paddy's Day day festival / parade you've been to outside of NJ/NYC?

My vote based on places I have been is easily Scranton, PA. And for those of you who haven't been, seriously, I'm not kidding.

Has anyone ever been to Savannah, GA? Any recommendations? Looks like I'm going to be in Georgia this weekend through Wednesday.

Originally posted by RU Analbumcover:
What's the best St. Paddy's Day day festival / parade you've been to outside of NJ/NYC?

My vote based on places I have been is easily Scranton, PA. And for those of you who haven't been, seriously, I'm not kidding.

Has anyone ever been to Savannah, GA? Any recommendations? Looks like I'm going to be in Georgia this weekend through Wednesday.
We have been invited to both over the years and every guy I know who went had a great time at both of the ones you mentioned.

Savannah is an awesome town. Great scenery, great bar scene, friendly locals.

Originally posted by NoLondonBroil:

Savannah is an awesome town. Great scenery, great bar scene, friendly locals.
If you don't mind ghosts.

The Philadelphia St Patrick's Day Parade is by far the best parade. Great entertainment. Easy to get to, plenty of parking and fan friendly with plenty of open space to view. Their parade is always the Sunday before St. Patrick's so you don't have to take time off from work.

I have been to NYC's parade and it's actually boring compared to others. Mostly men in uniform and politicians with very little music and hardly any Irish dance groups.

I haven't been to Boston's but my nephew and his wife arrived their last night and are taking in the festivities up there for a few days.

Of all the parades I have been to the most is Belmar's and always have had a great time there. Didn't go this year as it was bitter cold.

This post was edited on 3/14 8:23 AM by WhiteBus

New Orleans AOH puts together a nice Practice March, 2 fridays before the 17th. On that same sunday there's a Freindship Fest in Algiers. Great weekend.

Originally posted by WhiteBus:

The Philadelphia St Patrick's Day Parade is by far the best parade. Great entertainment. Easy to get to, plenty of parking and fan friendly with plenty of open space to view. Their parade is always the Sunday before St. Patrick's so you don't have to take time off from work.

I have been to NYC's parade and it's actually boring compared to others. Mostly men in uniform and politicians with very little music and hardly any Irish dance groups.

I haven't been to Boston's but my nephew and his wife arrived their last night and are taking in the festivities up there for a few days.

Of all the parades I have been to the most is Belmar's and always have had a great time there. Didn't go this year as it was bitter cold.
I think because there are no floats and the length make that an issue.

NY has no floats - dignified

County societies ask for business casual dress - up until the 60's top hat and tails were common

As you wheel off the side street onto 5th, there are marshals inspecting the marchers. One year a
young man was wearing green beads. "Take them off! Where da ya tink ya are, Mardi Gras?"

Only US & Irish flags
Only County / Organization banners or one that reads "England get out of Ireland"
Lots of pipe and drums and bands from Ireland

Hope it never changes

Originally posted by JoeRU:
NY has no floats - dignified

County societies ask for business casual dress - up until the 60's top hat and tails were common

As you wheel off the side street onto 5th, there are marshals inspecting the marchers. One year a
young man was wearing green beads. "Take them off! Where da ya tink ya are, Mardi Gras?"

Only US & Irish flags
Only County / Organization banners or one that reads "England get out of Ireland"
Lots of pipe and drums and bands from Ireland

Hope it never changes
As a Member of a Company that lost somebody it was amazing to hear (actually NOT hear because everybody was silent or gasping when they realized...) the reaction to the crowd as we marched up 5th Ave. for the first time after 9/11 with the 343 US Flags.

In 2000, while in Ireland for a few months, for work (we were in Clonmel, in County Tipperary), the factory shut down for St. Patrick's Day, so a few of us took to the road and headed out to Doolin, in County Clare, home to a couple of the best traditional music pubs in Ireland. I had been there once a few years before and heard it was a great place to be for St. Patty's Day, so we went. None of the rest of the crew had been to Clare before, so after diversions to the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren, we hit the pub for dinner and a trad session. Pretty sure we were the only Americans in there (not too many tourists in March) and we had a blast of a night. No doubt my favorite St. Patty's Day.

Today's Philadelphia Parade is televised live on CWPhilly, channel 57 from 1 to 4pm.

Attended Savavnah 6 years in a row, very laid back and loads of fun. I don't know what has changed since the early 90's but you could drink on the streets and walk around town, never saw drunks fighting and everyone was welcoming.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by e5fdny:

As a Member of a Company that lost somebody it was amazing to hear (actually NOT hear because everybody was silent or gasping when they realized...) the reaction to the crowd as we marched up 5th Ave. for the first time after 9/11 with the 343 US Flags.
My good friend lost his brother. A captain from the ladder 20 house. That was a brutal time for all. funeral was like nothing I've ever seen (or want to see again). I only met him once but had to be there for my guy.

On a brighter note I'm gonna be in the city Tue afternoon and evening. Wife and I got married on St. Pats and she has to work so I'm going to meet up with her when she's done. What's everybody doing? I'm gonna be around Roc Ctr till she's done , then probably downtown somewhere.

The Hassidics in Lakewood have a monster event..
While in Savannah look up the Lady Chablis from Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. .Great town. A mini Charleston..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT