ADVERTISEMENT

OT: UConn is good (!!WARNING!! Cam Spencer mention!!)

Degaz-RU

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2002
UConn goes on the road and beats a good Gonzaga team last night 76-63.

Funny, before the game, I was saying that Donovan Clingan isn’t that good, and my son said, yeah, he’s just big. And the guy goes out and scores 21.

The “I don’t care about former players who snubbed us” crowd should stop reading here. So should the “Cam Spencer will be the 4th option on a national championship team” crowd. Cam Spencer had 15 points (5-10, 3-6), 4 rebounds, 3 steals, and 2 assists.

Anyway, it’s darn impressive what Danny has built up there. The Huskies are cooking and have to be one of the favorites to make the Final Four.

I watched half of that game. Watching Cam knock down 3 after 3 after 3 only had me shaking my head. He was my favorite player last year by far, and I think, Oh, what could have been if he stayed? Oh well, UCONN looks primed to make another Final Four. Their offense is a pleasure to watch. High/low screens, flex screens and picks, leaves players like Cam open for easy looks both outside and inside.

I watched half of that game. Watching Cam knock down 3 after 3 after 3 only had me shaking my head. He was my favorite player last year by far, and I think, Oh, what could have been if he stayed? Oh well, UCONN looks primed to make another Final Four. Their offense is a pleasure to watch. High/low screens, flex screens and picks, leaves players like Cam open for easy looks both outside and inside.
Had he stayed you’d be wondering why we weren’t running plays for him and why he was covered like a blanket

Not like we pushed Cam out. He made his choice. Why are we acting like we made a mistake and lost him somehow? We didn’t, he felt he could be better used elsewhere.

Not like we pushed Cam out. He made his choice. Why are we acting like we made a mistake and lost him somehow? We didn’t, he felt he could be better used elsewhere.
Never said that. You're right. He felt he had a shot at a national championship with UCONN and went there. I wonder, however, if we were willing to hand him more NIL money, would he have stayed? Don't know.

Cam had sort of a weird game against Gonzaga. He pretty much was responsible for the lead UConn built by hitting some key shots, a couple nice assists and a steal, but in the last 7 minutes Gonzaga did a great job of shutting him down and denying him the ball.

Trying to figure out what's more uninteresting to me personally:

Syracuse/Fran Brown threads or UConn/Cam Spencer threads

(Here come the "well then just ignore the threads....." posts. Don't care that people post them - mostly find it interesting how involved people are in other programs that have little to no effect on Rutgers).

Funny, before the game, I was saying that Donovan Clingan isn’t that good, and my son said, yeah, he’s just big. And the guy goes out and scores 21.

The “I don’t care about former players who snubbed us” crowd should stop reading here. So should the “Cam Spencer will be the 4th option on a national championship team” crowd. Cam Spencer had 15 points (5-10, 3-6), 4 rebounds, 3 steals, and 2 assists.

Anyway, it’s darn impressive what Danny has built up there. The Huskies are cooking and have to be one of the favorites to make the Final Four.

Damn we have some pathetic fans. We now have UConn fanboys hogging up threads. I hope Danny gave you a great tip after you finished up. Haha.

Fans can ignore what is happening at UConn because they are a member of the Big East.At the same time they clearly have replaced Villanova as the best men's basketball program in the northeast. They are difficult to defeat because they have scorers at every position

Damn we have some pathetic fans. We now have UConn fanboys hogging up threads. I hope Danny gave you a great tip after you finished up. Haha.
And yet you posted in the thread.

This is a forum to discuss college basketball. You don’t like the thread — which was clearly titled — you’re free to pass it by.

And yet you posted in the thread.

This is a forum to discuss college basketball. You don’t like the thread — which was clearly titled — you’re free to pass it by.

It’s a Rutgers message board — there’s a national board. But all good. Hope your knees are feeling better.

• Haha
Reactions: #1 RUFan
Cam was here for one really good year. He will not be one of the players that are referred to as a "Rutgers guy" and if he ends up in the NBA, he will be forever a PSU player.
He is just another example of what has happened to college sports.
Paul, on the other hand, decided that he needed to go someplace else. Have no idea what prompted him to do that, but I hold no ill feelings towards him. He will always be considered a Rutgers guy.

What's scary is Stephon Castle is JUST STARTING to contribute. absolute stud.

Reactions: CL82
I just look at it as, for what Spencer was/is, he definitely made the best decision for his self. Can't knock him for that, when he first made the move it seemed like the obvious decision to make when you remove the emotions. All of that loyalty stuff comes into play if he was a rising sophomore but going into his final season of eligibility at a school he was only at for 1 year....you have to take the better nil deal and the opportunity to play for a championship. It is better for the development of the current players to get the minutes and shots Spencer would have got. Win, win...look forward to seeing Spencer light it up for the huskies..

Why would you say Clingan isn't that good? Last year as a freshman he averaged 21.4 minutes, 63.8% shooting, 6.2 rebounds and 13.9 points. He seems coordinated and is 7-2 280.

Why would you say Clingan isn't that good? Last year as a freshman he averaged 21.4 minutes, 63.8% shooting, 6.2 rebounds and 13.9 points. He seems coordinated and is 7-2 280.
It’s all relative. Of course I know he’s “good” but I thought his numbers this year were kind of pedestrian without Sanogo by his side. I didn’t realize he was averaging 13.9.

I'm on record thinking UCONN made a mistake sacrificing it's football program to return to the Big East, on the theory that the AAC was "good enough" for basketball. Man enough to admit when I'm dead wrong.
Football rules college sports ---- It's undeniable. When power 5 football officially takes over college sports ( many say they have already ) don't be surprised if those with no football or lesser football ( Uconn) won't even be allowed in the " big dance" or have a say in how it's operated. Why share money with those without football or all sports??

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
If we lost Cam for the season v MSU instead of Mag, how does our season end? Just curious of people’s thoughts.

Cam was here for one really good year. He will not be one of the players that are referred to as a "Rutgers guy" and if he ends up in the NBA, he will be forever a PSU player.
He is just another example of what has happened to college sports.
Paul, on the other hand, decided that he needed to go someplace else. Have no idea what prompted him to do that, but I hold no ill feelings towards him. He will always be considered a Rutgers guy.
PSU player no way.

Cam is a mercenery, a hired gun,

He owned little to Rutgers and I'm fine with that.

At least it's unanimous that he's a good player.

Reminds me of how certain people on this board couldn't get over Peter Kiss scoring 25 ppg playing in the NEC.

Boy... times have changed.

Cam Spencer is just a good all around ballplayer.

I enjoyed the threads on Cam…but mostly to get laughs from Hawk as he tries telling us for the 100th time that Cam Spencer wasn’t a loss, how we’re a better team without him and how Pikiell ran him out of town.

But sadly it looks like even Hawk has given up stating his case and giving us all laughs in these Cam threads

Maybe it’s time to retire them.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Scangg and biazza38
If we lost Cam for the season v MSU instead of Mag, how does our season end? Just curious of people’s thoughts.

Last year we suffered from a lack of depth at most roles. We just didn't have guys who could step in and fill the role left by any of our starters. We didn't have a knockdown shooter other than Spencer, or a lock-down perimeter defender other than McConnell, or a "floor general" other than Mulcahy, or a dominant center other than Omoruyi - when we were down any of our starters, we struggled. When Mulcahy/McConnell missed games earlier in the year, we struggled, and when Mag went out, we struggled. If Spencer or Omoruyi had gone down, we'd have struggled.

We were strong when we had all parts functioning and healthy, and the whole was greater than the sum of its parts because of strong connectedness/chemistry. Once a leg of that stool was pulled, we were wobbly - Mag was super important, but so were our other starters because of lack of depth.

I enjoyed the threads on Cam…but mostly to get laughs from Hawk as he tries telling us for the 100th time that Cam Spencer wasn’t a loss, how we’re a better team without him and how Pikiell ran him out of town.

But sadly it looks like even Hawk has given up stating his case and giving us all laughs in these Cam threads

Maybe it’s time to retire them.
Let the season play out. Teams and coaches adjust and make changes. Players get injured. Some teams get hot, some slump. Some never figure things out. Some young players hit a wall.

I'll be in a grey Rutgers hoodie.
Don't want anyone to get confused and think I'm rooting for one those teams.
Wear your old Bryant reaves uniform...ugly as heck and you wouldn't be accused of rooting for either team.

reeves_jersey_1_grande.jpg

Wear your old Bryant reaves uniform...ugly as heck and you wouldn't be accused of rooting for either team.

reeves_jersey_1_grande.jpg

My son picked out a blue sweatshirt (unaware of SHU or their colors).
I made him change into a red and black Red Bulls NY hoodie.

Also, this place is empty.
Upper level curtained off.
Lower level not full for a Top 10 opponent.

Oh we’re really doing this all year, huh?
I might start rooting for Spencer to hit the game winning shot in the title game

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT