ADVERTISEMENT

Portal and more

RU72

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
Pretty sure Rutgers has inquired about Xander Rice,Kevin Easley and Omar Silverio. Dingle took a gap year and has another at Penn. The other Jordan may be out of eligibility. No outreach to Tosan Evbuomwan of Princeton to date.Got on good authority that Rutgers would accept an NIT bid. Seems like Hofstra would be a likely opponent in a 2-7 game at the RAC.

Last edited:
Wouldn't hate Xander Rice. King's son, right? Unfamiliar with the other two, I'll have to check them out.

Pretty sure Rutgers has inquired about Xander Rice,Kevin Easley and Omar Silverio. Dingle took a gap year and has another at Penn. The other Jordan may be out of eligibility. No outreach to Tosan Evbuomwan of Princeton to date.Got on good authority that Rutgers would accept an NIT bid. Seems like Hofstra would be a lonely opponent in a 2-7 game at the RAC.
Not an encouraging group. Would like to add rice but if we keep making additions to make our back court unathletic we will be in trouble again without a major minutes shakeup.

Xander Rice looks like a point guard version of Cam statistically - Jersey kid too.
If he could make the transition from Patriot League to B1G as well as Cam, he'd be a fantastic addition.
As a starting PG and mentor to Simpson and Davis

Reactions: RU MAN
Pretty sure Rutgers has inquired about Xander Rice,Kevin Easley and Omar Silverio. Dingle took a gap year and has another at Penn. The other Jordan may be out of eligibility. No outreach to Tosan Evbuomwan of Princeton to date.Got on good authority that Rutgers would accept an NIT bid. Seems like Hofstra would be a lonely opponent in a 2-7 game at the RAC.

It's been discussed in other threads.
Are potential portal targets being told they will be competing for a starting role or significant minutes?

Just looked up the names:
Xander Rice 33mpg
Kevin Easley 32mpg (last year. Has he been injured this year?)
Omar Silverio 26mpg

Do teams actually turn down NIT?? It’s good for some programs and teams . Not us , but I didn’t think you could turn it down.
Just go and hopefully lose early . And if not this fanbase loves the NIT as we saw before . We still talk about and celebrate the magic of 2004 after choking away the NCAA bid.

Not an encouraging group. Would like to add rice but if we keep making additions to make our back court unathletic we will be in trouble again without a major minutes shakeup.
Can only (officially) reach out to people already in the portal no?

Would expect a lot more names to start popping up soon.

Soooo…..
1. In todays portal world it is wise to decline bid to accelerate the process and start recruiting ASAP
2. If we are a 2 in the NIT you are saying we need to do more than beat Michigan

Reactions: hbbsm713
Do teams actually turn down NIT?? It’s good for some programs and teams . Not us , but I didn’t think you could turn it down.
Just go and hopefully lose early . And if not this fanbase loves the NIT as we saw before . We still talk about and celebrate the magic of 2004 after choking away the NCAA bid.
Only know this because I lived in DC area at the time. Georgetown turned down the NIT in 2002. They did go in 2003.

FWIW - Pikiell won the NIT with Uconn in 1988. It's still a pretty big deal to Uconn fans who were Uconn fans at that time.

Shockingly I took it the same as Greene re his # 2—read it the same way.
there are months to go re transfer portal
there have been times teams have limped into conf tourney to only surprise and get hot…sure hoping that could be us for once.
I do appreciate and look out for RU72‘s insights

Reactions: MiloTalon13
A lot of teams turned down NIT before.

Pretty sure Rutgers has inquired about Xander Rice,Kevin Easley and Omar Silverio. Dingle took a gap year and has another at Penn. The other Jordan may be out of eligibility. No outreach to Tosan Evbuomwan of Princeton to date.Got on good authority that Rutgers would accept an NIT bid. Seems like Hofstra would be a likely opponent in a 2-7 game at the RAC.
How many tix would RU sell for a Hofstra NIT game at the RAC on a short turnaround? Not many is my guess.

does aaron estrada from hofstra have one more year? he’s from jersey and really good

Reactions: Rutger2001

God forbid people make happy memories

Easley started at TCU? No centers being pursued in the portal?

How do ticket sales work for season ticket holders with the NIT

Silverio verbaled to WVU last week. Kings son is the best of the lot and would compete for pg minutes. Easley May be damaged goods. Would have to work him out as we don’t have to recruit an injured forward. Seems like King will get another year to right Monmouth.

if RU is one of the first four left out, they will be a one seed. I see Princeton somewhere down the line

Any idea if the Hofstra game would be on Tuesday, 3/14 or Wednesday, 3/15 ?

does aaron estrada from hofstra have one more year? he’s from jersey and really good
He should have a COVID super senior year. He’s my personal number 1 portal target. He was just named CAA POY for the second year in a row.

Reactions: Shell21
The players do not care about the NIT. I get that it makes money for everyone involved but the players from power 5 schools don’t care. Just ask mark Titus. His Ohio state team won the NIT in like 2008 and they didn’t even celebrate.

reaching the NIT in 04 was completely different than now—only similarity was losing a painful game at buzzer that was up on and had beaten same team by 25+ at RAC in same season. Only other similarity is that was a senior laden team, just like now, making it that much more disappointing

that year we lost in BET in 8/9 game in a close game to BC

that said, we were not that close to reaching NCAAs as I recall—1999 collapse was more painful

The players do not care about the NIT. I get that it makes money for everyone involved but the players from power 5 schools don’t care. Just ask mark Titus. His Ohio state team won the NIT in like 2008 and they didn’t even celebrate.
Ohio state played in the NCAA championship game the year before. You think this is a useful comparison?

Don’t think NIT Committee matches games anymore for Regional Rivalry purposes. In the past they did which would have matched say a possible Rutgers Hofstra matchup. Matchups are now based on actual seedings

Will be interesting on Xander Rice. He’s not an impact player at P6 level but I guess can provide valuable minutes.
Wonder if he wants to play his final year for his Dad at Monmouth. Read that UGA is interested.

Folks finally coming to the realization that if we don't win Thursday we don't dance. Sad it came down to it, but we have control over our destiny. One last chance after at least 3 others we should have capitalized on.

Looks like Omar Silverio hasn't played at all this season and Kevin Easley is about to be on his 4th program in 5 years (Chatanooga, TCU, Duquesne and wherever his next stop is). Xander Rice would be the best pickup by far of the bunch IMO. Hopefully we aim higher than these guys in the portal in general though, unless we're recruiting the 7th/8th/9th men in the rotation

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT