ADVERTISEMENT

Portal and more

Yes . Because as fun as 2004 was for us fans , it’s not what this sport is about. This season is a complete disappointment if we don’t make the ncaa tournament
If you have made the NCAA the past few previous years, the NIT is a letdown and fans would not be terribly upset with turning it down
I would not be upset if we refused it and probably won't go to a home game

If you haven't been to any tourney for years, the NIT seems more acceptable

My money is on Paul coming back and not enough minutes to give a portal guard to come here. Simpson, Paul, Cam and Davis will split guard minutes.

Reactions: ejgonz
If you have made the NCAA the past few previous years, the NIT is a letdown and fans would not be terribly upset with turning it down
I would not be upset if we refused it and probably won't go to a home game

If you haven't been to any tourney for years, the NIT seems more acceptable
I agree . I wouldn’t mind if we turn it down

Reactions: #1 RUFan
Ohio state played in the NCAA championship game the year before. You think this is a useful comparison?
Rutgers has made the ncaa tournament the last 3 seasons. I assure you none of the upperclassman care about playing in the losers tournament after they collapsed in the regular season this year. Also 80% of Ohio states starters went pro after 2007 so that was basically a new team.

Do teams actually turn down NIT?? It’s good for some programs and teams . Not us , but I didn’t think you could turn it down.
Just go and hopefully lose early . And if not this fanbase loves the NIT as we saw before . We still talk about and celebrate the magic of 2004 after choking away the NCAA bid.
CVS turned it down her final year.

does aaron estrada from hofstra have one more year? he’s from jersey and really good
We could play them and beat them and then he can immediately transfer to us and continue to play .. have a jersey ready at the RAC. 🤔🤗

Reactions: shields
It’s a tournament for losers and no more relevant than a preseason game. Make of it what you will.
Some of the best fun and games I've been to have been NIT at the RAC. A tourney game vs. a non-traditional foe on your home court adds a little excitement.

Beat Hofstra and some coach named Jay Wright in 1999

If you like watching college basketball... After the disappointment settles.. it's an ok event.

Last edited:
People act like we go to NCAA like Wisconsin. They said yesterday they have been like 22 out of 23 years?

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Do teams actually turn down NIT?? It’s good for some programs and teams . Not us , but I didn’t think you could turn it down.
Just go and hopefully lose early . And if not this fanbase loves the NIT as we saw before . We still talk about and celebrate the magic of 2004 after choking away the NCAA bid.
Our fanbase loves the NIT in 2004 due to how bad the program had been and not getting into the NCAA. It won't be that way this time. Also, the semis are no longer at MSG. RU-Horstra would have a crowd of 2400.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Read that the big IVy power forward is looking to upgrade as a post grad, Dane Adelekene . Also heard Temple guard, Battle, is looking to relocate for next year. Don’t know if he announced his intentions yet As they are still playing. He has two years of eligibility and is from Hillside, NJ. He played against some good teams this year and seemed to contribute. He is a shooting guard but does not seem to like to get in there and rebound or fight for loose balls. May not be a good fit here.

Last edited:
Reactions: cicero grimes
Honest question, do you really enjoy watching us play of late? I love RU as well, but this team is really hard to watch right now.

I do. I truly love basketball, I love watching Rutgers. But I love the defensive rock fights too. Would I rather we were winning? Yes, of course. I hope we win tomorrow and get into the NCAAs. It has been a struggle the past month, but I do enjoy watching us play.

Read that the big IVy power forward is looking to upgrade as a post grad, Dane Adelekene . Also heard Temple guard, Battle, is looking to relocate for next year. Don’t know if he announced his intentions yet As they are still playing. He has two years of eligibility and is from Hillside, NJ. He played against some good teams this year and seemed to contribute. He is a shooting guard but does not seem to like to get in there and rebound or fight for loose balls. May not be a good fit here.
Battle is a headcase. Didn't work out in Xavier. And now he's clashed multiple times with Aaron McKie at Temple. There's also the question of whether the NCAA is going to continue to allow waivers for second transfers. They're only supposed to have one freebie.

Now if Damian Dunn from Temple entered the portal I would be very interested.

Reactions: LOU-RU85
Some of the best fun and games I've been to have been NIT at the RAC. A tourney game vs. a non-traditional foe on your home court adds a little excitement.

Beat Hofstra and some coach named Jay Wright in 1999
And five years later, beat a Jay Wright-coached Villanova at the RAC in the 2004 NIT quarters to punch a ticket to the Garden.

Actually Battle has been in school for four years so if he's graduating then he could be eligible right away as a grad transfer. I believe that one is still free even if you've used your one-time immediately-eligible transfer. I wouldn't hate swapping him in for Hyatt but I would be stunned if Pikiell picked up the phone given that Battle just left Temple after being benched.

Actually Battle has been in school for four years so if he's graduating then he could be eligible right away as a grad transfer. I believe that one is still free even if you've used your one-time immediately-eligible transfer. I wouldn't hate swapping him in for Hyatt but I would be stunned if Pikiell picked up the phone given that Battle just left Temple after being benched.

"Fit" seems like the first consideration for Pike - I agree, I'd be stunned if Battle was being seriously considered

Reactions: gregkoko and kcg88
Was speaking with a recently graduated former Rutgers player who commented that Michigan is realllly talented and has the capacity to go deep in NCAA. Felt that this is a tall order on its face (in other words even if the team is playing well).

Reactions: bethlehemfan
Josh Cohen officially in the portal. He's arguably even better than Ryan Young, who carved out a role at Duke. I suspect some big schools will be interested. He played at Christian Brothers Academy. Borzello calls him a forward but he is a center.

Josh Cohen officially in the portal. He's arguably even better than Ryan Young, who carved out a role at Duke. I suspect some big schools will be interested. He played at Christian Brothers Academy. Borzello calls him a forward but he is a center.

Jersey kid. Would be a HUGE get for next year.

Reactions: FastMJ
Jersey kid. Would be a HUGE get for next year.
You'd have to have him on the floor at the same time as Ndongo or Mag to provide help defensively but he's a very skilled scorer. 30 against Miami, 18 against Ohio State this year.

Cohen is not a good defender and has no outside shot. He'd be a good addition, but given his defensive struggles he wouldn't be typical guy Pike goes after.

St Francis plays in the NEC, which is probably the worst conference in D1 basketball. Every game they played in the NEC conference schedule was a Q4 game. St Francis played in 31 games this year, with 25 of those games being Q4 or non-D1 opponents. They went 0-6 vs Q1/Q2/Q3 teams (0-2 vs each).

That being said, he did win NEC Player of the Year in 2022-23. He also did have some strong performances vs good competition this year. In his 6 games vs Q1/Q2/Q3 teams he had...

@ St Bonaventure (Q3): 21 pts, 7 rebounds, 1 assist (lost 71-58)
@ Butler (Q2): 18 pts, 7 rebounds, 3 assists (lost 95-67)
vs Cornell (Q3): 24 pts, 8 rebounds, 4 assists (lost 80-77)
@ tOSU (Q1): 18 pts, 10 rebounds, 3 assists (lost 96-59)
@ Hawaii (Q2): 40 pts, 9 rebounds, 1 assist (lost 90-66)
@ Miami (Q1): 30 pts, 9 rebounds, 0 assists (lost 91-76)

Reactions: biker7766
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT