ADVERTISEMENT

Portal and more

6'10" 220, doesn't shoot 3's, not a good free throw shooter
seems like a decent passer 2.5 asst/game, good career improvement
8 rebounds/game in one of the weakest conferences where he's likely the biggest guy on the court every game
I'm skeptical that he's a B1G level player - plays below the rim
Gotta love the 40 point game - no dunks and didn't even really get double teamed
A very good player at that level

6'10" 220, doesn't shoot 3's, not a good free throw shooter
seems like a decent passer 2.5 asst/game, good career improvement
8 rebounds/game in one of the weakest conferences where he's likely the biggest guy on the court every game
I'm skeptical
Take a look at what Ryan Young is doing for Duke. I think any high major is in trouble if Cohen is playing 32 minutes a night for them, but skilled interior scoring is a big asset.

He'd absolutely be a fantastic backup big, but I don't think he'd be able to do what we need out of our starting center

Yes . Because as fun as 2004 was for us fans , it’s not what this sport is about. This season is a complete disappointment if we don’t make the ncaa tournament
I think you’ve confused yourself as a critic or commentator, not a fan. If it’s a fun event cheering your team on, maybe that’s ok.

If Cliff comes back, we’re don’t gonna go after a back up center. Wolf has to play and develop. You prioritize that

• Angry
Reactions: Rutgers56
Cohen has played 34mpg this year.
Is he going to be fine with playing 10-15min as a bench player?

Take a look at what Ryan Young is doing for Duke. I think any high major is in trouble if Cohen is playing 32 minutes a night for them, but skilled interior scoring is a big asset.
Ryan Young played at Northwestern not the NEC

With that being said Wolf doesn't have a perimeter game, is undersized and plays below the rim. I LOVE HIM AS A BACKUP CENTER.

With that being said Wolf doesn't have a perimeter game, is undersized and plays below the rim. I LOVE HIM AS A BACKUP CENTER.
Wolf has dunks and is impressive in layup lines, not Cliff but he'll get dunks in games.
Wolf is never going to be a scorer his value is elsewhere - this guy's entire value is scoring

Do we not know if Reiber could put up these type of numbers if he played in the NEC?
Generally speaking the very best NEC players can be rotation pieces on high major teams. Quincy McKnight was a decent guard for Seton Hall. The senior version of Peter Kiss could've been a player at the high major level (if you ignore the personality). Elijah Mitrou-Long went from Mount St. Mary's to Texas (he was inefficient at Texas, but he was also inefficient at MSM) and then was a very good player in the Mountain West. Cane Broome was in the rotation for some very good Cincinnati teams.

Ralph Agee was an undersized big who played below the rim and didn't have a perimeter shot.
Ralph Agee had an 89 and a 94 offensive rating at SJSU. Cohen's is 118. Yes there's a difference in caliber of competition but that's not a good comparison. Agee also had a MUCH lower usage rating. Cohen was getting up a ton of attempts every night, even against teams like Ohio State, Butler, and Miami.

i want the Drexel big man Amari Williams as a backup!! no clue if he's interested in moving. just finished junior season. defensive player of the year back to back seasons. went to high school in England. athletic, GREAT passer.

Generally speaking the very best NEC players can be rotation pieces on high major teams. Quincy McKnight was a decent guard for Seton Hall. The senior version of Peter Kiss could've been a player at the high major level (if you ignore the personality). Elijah Mitrou-Long went from Mount St. Mary's to Texas (he was inefficient at Texas, but he was also inefficient at MSM) and then was a very good player in the Mountain West. Cane Broome was in the rotation for some very good Cincinnati teams.
Shooting translates
Post play when you're used to being the biggest player on the floor at a lower level? I doubt it.
I only watched his 40 point game highlights - but look at where he's catching the ball he’s not getting it there in the Big Ten

FWIW - Pikiell won the NIT with Uconn in 1988. It's still a pretty big deal to Uconn fans who were Uconn fans at that time.
With the expansion of the NCAA Tournament field, the NIT is not nearly what it used to be.

Shooting translates
Post play when you're used to being the biggest player on the floor at a lower level? I doubt it.
I only watched his 40 point game highlights - but look at where he's catching the ball he’s not getting it there in the Big Ten
How'd be get 30 against Miami and 18 against Ohio State? (both on 16 shots)

How'd be get 30 against Miami and 18 against Ohio State? (both on 16 shots)
I didn't see the games but 10-13 from the line vs Miami helped and Miami scored 91
Miami is small and his team is well-coached to get him the ball
Ohio State beat them 96-59

I give a ton of credit to guys like TJ Thompson and Pike who can watch such different levels of play and figure out how they compare, That's really tough to do. If they're really on this guy, I take it all back. I doubt they are.

Reactions: kcg88
I did not know that. Is that new? Because of the Regional Finals there I suppose..hadn't put that together.
MSG chose not to bid on NIT. It was drawing 9000 or so and losing money there. I don't think Rutgers is looking at Cohen. Once again on to Ivy kids with eligibility and the bigs at Princeton, Dartmouth and Yale. Look at the success of these players:

Mason-Baylor
Aiken-Seton Hall
Cambridge-Arizona State
Bruner-Alabama
Atkinson-ND
Gabbidon-Colorado

And the list goes on. The League is not far off from the A-10 and may be better in quality at the top.

the tournament was already 64 in 1988

Agree NIT lost it's cache over time, but it came with the NCAA taking at larges IMO
True. But the expansion only came in 1985 - doubling the previous 32 team field, so it took a while for it to crumble the NIT. Adding another 4 teams to the NCAA's in 2011 did not help.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Cliff can't use NIL $ for other than charities. You would think he may need to go pro for the money .

Cliff can't use NIL $ for other than charities. You would think he may need to go pro for the money .
Cliff can get Nil $$ during the Rutgers basketball trip overseas this summer
Also all the players get a cost of living stipend but it’s not much compared to NIL money

True. But the expansion only came in 1985 - doubling the previous 32 team field, so it took a while for it to crumble the NIT. Adding another 4 teams to the NCAA's in 2011 did not help.
Definitely took some time to take it down. And I dislike the 68 team version as well.
Once it wasn’t AQ or bust, NIT was on life support

Cliff can get Nil $$ during the Rutgers basketball trip overseas this summer
Also all the players get a cost of living stipend but it’s not much compared to NIL money
I think it's been hinted here before, but probably the main reason we are going is for Cliff. He will get his NIL money while he is there. It's like a loophole

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Isn't Clif going to have file international tax returns if he's receiving payments from organizations or companies while overseas?

That seems more of a hassle than it might be worth.

Isn't Clif going to have file international tax returns if he's receiving payments from organizations or companies while overseas?

That seems more of a hassle than it might be worth.
If he stays the 4th year I'll offer my firms services to file his returns.

Also Oscar Tshibwe literally did the same thing, It's worth the hassle

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT