ADVERTISEMENT

Zags reporting Grad Transfer target PG

NewJerseyHawk

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2007
Former St. Anthony PG and Nebraska/Duquesne PG Tarin Smith has RU, Seton Hall, UConn, Colorado and Colorado State interest as a grad transfer PG.....12.4 PPG, 3.2 APG, 3.0 RPG....did shoot a solid 33% from 3....not great from line at around 65-66%.....Would be an ideal candidate that plays lead guard, keeps options open for 2019 at PG and allows RU to build some depth.

Smith was the Atlantic 10 6th Man of the year for Duquesne this past season....

Rutgers, Seton Hall, UConn, Oklahoma and Colorado State have contacted Duquesne transfer Tarin Smith @Smittee_ , who played for Bob Hurley at @SAHSFriarNation

Averaged 12.4 ppg, 3.2 apg, 3.0 rpg as a junior

— Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) April 10, 2018

Right now, I would take Caleb McConnel over Smith. And I was originally for the grad transfer for the pg route.

Certainly want McConnell over Smith but if Smith can provide solid minutes of adequate play and tutor Baker; Mathis and McConnell - then it's a win win.

Last edited:
Take him in a heartbeat over McConnell----proven commodity----hope RU lands both of them.

It's not bad for a guard that isn't likely to have open looks all the time...we are coming from a place where 22 and 21% are the numbers we worked with last year...33% looks pretty solid in that comparison...

It's unfortunate that it would represent an improvement for us but 33% is the bare minimum in this conference. 12 out of 14 teams shot 33% or better. Illinois was at 31.7% and we were 27.5%.

Anyway Smith also shot 11-52 (21%) as a sophomore and 10-30 as a freshman so we're talking about 33% as a probable ceiling.

Given where we're at I think he's worth taking on... To me he looks like a below-average Big Ten player but that's an improvement over what we put on the floor last season. I don't think we're going to get three players better than him by plumbing the unsigned HSers or going back to JUCO (although I will say that even though we're not linked to him I think Thiam's brother is worth a look).

Last edited:
Reactions: hiwater
I would think Uconn with the Hurley connection in high school and at Uconn would have a clear advantage in attracting this recruit.

Hawk

No I don't because I don't want a last place team next year.

Finishing last 3 years in a row would be an enormous black eye for RU Basketball IMO.

At some point there has to be tangible improvement.

Reactions: ColonelRutgers
Zags is reporting "interest". Who knows what that means. It does not necessarily mean a commitable offer at this time.

I'm sure Pike has "interest" in a bunch of guys, and has prioritized them.

Well I thought 30% would be good - but looking at the team stats:

3-Point FG Pct G 3FGM 3FGA Pct.
1. Purdue 18 169 398 .425
2. Michigan State 18 147 351 .419
3. Iowa 18 128 342 .374
4. Michigan 18 163 437 .373
5. Penn State 18 126 340 .371
6. Ohio State 18 114 318 .358
7. Maryland 19 123 349 .352
8. Minnesota 18 124 355 .349
9. Northwestern 18 135 387 .349
10. Indiana 18 113 329 .343
11. Nebraska 18 119 353 .337
12. Wisconsin 19 120 370 .324
13. Illinois 18 125 394 .317
14. Rutgers 18 72 262 .275

Hawk

No I don't because I don't want a last place team next year.

Finishing last 3 years in a row would be an enormous black eye for RU Basketball IMO.

At some point there has to be tangible improvement.
You can't be watching much of RU's basketball the past two years, or don't understand what it takes to build a program. Three years ago, Rutgers Basketball had NOTHING, was laughed at by most of the nation, coaching was non-existent, and prospects of anything better was never in the conversation.
Two years ago, we were lucky enough to finally get a quality Basketball Coach, who understood how to throw out the bath water without throwing out the baby. There was some housecleaning to do, but unlike a Corporation, sports teams must go through a transition of both players and attitude(administratively and support). Pikell has us on the right path, it's a process, not a Prom makeover. As the program evolves, so will the team, and the wins will come. This starts with attitude(Defense, Rebounding and acceptance of the system). We have seen this in the past two years, if you were looking. Facility improvement, a few more wins, and Recruitment will also improve. Rutgers Basketball is going in the right direction, if you were looking.........

You can finish last for a host of reasons...injuries, schedule imbalance and lack of talent.

I guess the larger question is Minnesota Illinois and Iowa are probably likely going to be picked ahead of RU and rightfully so....

My question is there is only one real path out of the basement and it's gathering players and having them blend together...

Most fans realize that Year 3 is Year 1....OR that it is somewhat unlikely that a reasonable fan would pin Years 1-3 as some sort of black eye on the current staff.

I am not interested in a quick bubble that takes RU from 14th to 11th and back to 13th or 14th, because we invested in 2 year grad transfers in Year "3".

The key for the program is filling the 4 spots between now and the 2019 class with solid, safe and players with upside. Your rosters for Year 3 (picked for last almost certainly) and Year 4 (2019 recruiting will be done by November).

I am fine with landing Tarin Smith....my question would be how else do you not consider a Too 175 kid like McConnell as not a priority recruit....i will emphasize that i don't make the rankings but he is in the same range as Paul Mulcahy in his current 2019 rankings.

That in no way diminishes my hopes we land Mulcahy but gives context of 4 years of a potential Top 150 player vs a 1 year rental....ideally you get BOTH, but i would not sacrifice Years 4-7, to try and win 2 more games in Year 3.

3. Iowa 18 128 342 .374

A bit shocking how much fewer attempts we put up. Over 50 fewer attempts than OSU. Really points out the need for shooters. If you added Smith's attempts from last season, we'd still be 20+ attempts down.

Concerning Smith, assuming we can get McConnel, he'd be a great fit in terms of need. Another guard for depth, plus maybe a decent outside shooter, while only investing 1 yr, allowing Pike to fill that slot with a 2019 recruit. Whether he actually contributes is another matter, but we are in desperate need for backcourt depth.

The fans on this Board see it and I know that but the general public perception wouldn't change IMO if you finish last again and you'll see worse attendance . It's hard to sell good players on playing for a losing team in front of small crowds when the people you're fighting against are winning and playing in front of sellouts----and you need to get those kids to win.

Reactions: kcg88
Looks to me like Tarin would be a good get. Ideally, plays 15-20mpg, resting and maybe mentoring MM and Geo.Two spots still open for ‘18, and Tarin’s spot is open for ‘19.

He's better than Mensah and unless you are pretty sure you can do better than him this year, you have to take him. Depth at guard was a real problem this year and it is now once again.

Of course, I'm making a big assumption that he wants to be here.

Reactions: kcg88

3. Iowa 18 128 342 .374

This is painful to look at it. Amazing how poor of shooting team RU was this year.

We need a pg who can guard Big Ten pgs. We don't really have that next year. Mensah was supposed to be that. He wasn't. Corey is gone. Geo will have trouble guarding smaller, quicker guards. This would be a bigger pick up than many here think.

Reactions: PSUPOWER
@Russ Wood @Richard Schnyderite any word on our supposed recruiting of Charles Bassey? Any shot?
Sorry my man, I don't have anything for you on that.

I've been super busy with the Florida site. Its management changed at the same time this site did and my role expanded on that site so I've been mega busy there. I'll ask around on Bassey since you asked.

This is painful to look at it. Amazing how poor of shooting team RU was this year.
I'm excited and hopeful. We have shooters coming in next year so let's hope we climb up that list as we also climb up the rankings in the conference

Reactions: RUDead
I'm excited and hopeful. We have shooters coming in next year so let's hope we climb up that list as we also climb up the rankings in the conference

Even with only taking 262 threes, I wonder how many more wins we could have gotten if the average was just 33 to 35 Percent and we took about 300. Of course, someone would need to do a game by game analysis.

I'm also curious about what those other teams shot against Rutgers....how good was our 3 point defense?

Next year, I am hoping for 325 plus attempts at 34%.

Even with only taking 262 threes, I wonder how many more wins we could have gotten if the average was just 33 to 35 Percent and we took about 300. Of course, someone would need to do a game by game analysis.

I'm also curious about what those other teams shot against Rutgers....how good was our 3 point defense?

Next year, I am hoping for 325 plus attempts at 34%.

The thing about 3-point defense is that teams actually have very little (but some) influence over how many an opponent makes but what teams CAN control is how many an opponent ATTEMPTS.

https://kenpom.com/blog/3point-defense-should-not-be-defined-by-opponents-3p/

https://kenpom.com/blog/one-last-post-on-3p-defense/

These are his bullet points:

– The offense is largely in control of the quality of 3-point shots it takes.
– These decisions are affected by the quality of the opposing 2P% defense
– 3P% is also influenced by effective challenging of shots.
– All of that can add up to about a 3% swing from average.
– So 3P% defense is not totally random
– But a defense has considerably more direct impact on 2P% than 3P%.​

The thing about 3-point defense is that teams actually have very little (but some) influence over how many an opponent makes but what teams CAN control is how many an opponent ATTEMPTS.

I know Pikiell has specific goals for his defense...under 40% on 2FG and I think it"s under 30% on 3FG...so I assume he game plans on defense to try to reach those goals. Having more length at guard may help, but, we lose some quickness with the Sanders loss.

Big 10 Games only.

2FG defense....41%
3FG defense....35%

Last edited:
Russ

Tell me about Jawan Durham the kid who transferred to ND from UConn------Florida kid I believe.

Word is he really needed the year to develop physically but he has skills.

Did you see him in HS ?

Sorry to bore board members with this.

I am not sure I subscribe to this theory. With the 30 second clock you have more possessions ending with low quality shots. Don't want to totally dismiss his theory. Was this done with a longer shot clock?

Oh, and the other thing we need is to turn all those long 2-point jump shots we took into 3-point attempts. The percentages are going to be about the same, so go for the extra point.

Oh, and the other thing we need is to turn all those long 2-point jump shots we took into 3-point attempts. The percentages are going to be about the same, so go for the extra point.
Empirical evidence does not support that. Correy is a great example. His shooting got noticably better when he took a step or 2 inside the arc. It wasn't even close

Reactions: drewbagel423
Russ

Tell me about Jawan Durham the kid who transferred to ND from UConn------Florida kid I believe.

Did you see him in HS ?

Really? I mean come on. This is a Rutgers board you're on and you're asking about ND players. If you're a fan of both go to their board and ask this question. For Pete's sake man have a little decorum.

Last edited:
Russ

Did you see him in HS ?

I believe you asked me about him before. Instead of cluttering up this board with content about a kid that never played at Rutgers I sent you a private message with my reply.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT