ADVERTISEMENT

Zags reporting Grad Transfer target PG

Tarin Smith visited UConn this weekend and committed to the Huskies.....for those asking why, his preferred assistant coach that landed him at Nebraska, was just hired by Danny Hurley and he left Nebraska a few days ago....I don't think it had anything more to do with that, from what I can gather and UConn needs to find players, since all of their 2018 recruits left after the firing of Ollie.

Add to that, former URI commit, Brendan Adams, secured his release after Hurley left URI for UConn and he also committed to UConn this weekend as well. UConn had 3 commits prior to the Ollie firing, they have replaced a Top 90-100 player at PG with Adams and Smith will add depth/leadership.

Tarin Smith visited UConn this weekend and committed to the Huskies.....for those asking why, his preferred assistant coach that landed him at Nebraska, was just hired by Danny Hurley and he left Nebraska a few days ago....I don't think it had anything more to do with that, from what I can gather and UConn needs to find players, since all of their 2018 recruits left after the firing of Ollie.

Add to that, former URI commit, Brendan Adams, secured his release after Hurley left URI for UConn and he also committed to UConn this weekend as well. UConn had 3 commits prior to the Ollie firing, they have replaced a Top 90-100 player at PG with Adams and Smith will add depth/leadership.
There is no surprise with the decision.Smith played for Bob Hurley at St.Anthony's which translates to favoring the family connection.Its very difficult for Rutgers to win recruiting battles against the Hurley family.

Hawk - thanks. Just out of curiosity, why did he leave Nebraska for Duquense?

I think he got over recruited by some better guards at Nebraska (Glynn Watson Jr)....& sometimes kids transfer vs battling for playing time. He will be a leadership 4th or 5th guard at most places.

There are new 5th year names bubbling up so i would not be concerned at all at this point.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
I think he got over recruited by some better guards at Nebraska (Glynn Watson Jr)....& sometimes kids transfer vs battling for playing time. He will be a leadership 4th or 5th guard at most places.

There are new 5th year names bubbling up so i would not be concerned at all at this point.
Thanks, Phil

Not a grad transfer but Duchon Burke from Orange is looking to transfer out of Robert Morris.

Would have to sit a year but would have 2 to play.

6'4 Guard who's long and an excellent player-----late qualifier out of HS.

Thought back then he was a steal for RMU and IMO he's better than anyone RU has on their roster right now.

I hope Coach P goes after him.

Not a grad transfer but Duchon Burke from Orange is looking to transfer out of Robert Morris.

Thought back then he was a steal for RMU and IMO he's better than anyone RU has on their roster right now.

Just a FYI correction - Dachon Burke

Problem is you’re still giving up a scholarship just like with Kiss. I don’t think we go that route. There’s too many good 2019 possibilities. Just an opinion,

No it isn't close between the ability levels of the two players.

One is a proven college commodity who is more mature physically and athletically.

The other is a HS kid with OK athleticism , a good floor game and no jump shot.

Reactions: dkostus
No it isn't close between the ability levels of the two players.

One is a proven college commodity who is more mature physically and athletically.

The other is a HS kid with OK athleticism , a good floor game and no jump shot.
Ok. I don’t much about the player who are talking about but I trust Pike is looking at all options and I know he’s been on Mulcahy for a long time now.

I wouldn't mind a spot up shooter like Austin Nehls a grad transfer from C. Connecticut St. He's had games of hitting 4,5,6 in a game but seems to be inconsistent.

If he truly is better than what we have now, it should be considered, especially as a PG. Seems Marquette, Pitt, and Nebraska are interested. But if he is a PG, his assists numbers aren't all that great (2.5/gm) and his FT is worrisome (62.8%, down from 73.4%), while 3-pt shooting is just mediocre (33.8%) when you really want higher than that if we want a team shooting around that as a whole.

The problem with transfers is you might only get one playing year from them while investing two years. See Nigel Johnson

Reactions: ColonelRutgers
If a guy is willing to bail on a program and sit out a year, chances are he’d be even more willing to bail again in two years when he isn’t facing a penalty of a sit out year. No more sit out transfers unless you’re willing to take a chance on a program changing player.

If the player transfers after his freshman season, ala Peter Kiss, then you pretty much know you will be getting two years of play at least (Unless injury etc.). Makes more sense.

Is Dachon Burke a freshman transfer or sophomore transfer? Not that he is considering coming here or not. Just a question of years of eligibility

you have to be careful when constructing a roster, but this program needs talent and can afford to use 1 ship on a transfer even if it risks the guy transferring again like Nigel. My understanding is that Nigel transferring after a year isn't the worst thing he inflicted on the team. If you get a guy that gels with the team, then he likely stays to complete his eligibility. If you get a guy that doesn't gel with the team, it isn't a bad thing if they leave. Go find another player. That's how the system works.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT