ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Wrestling News

Status
Not open for further replies.
John Smith putting on the full court press...visited the Ferrari's today at their house (a couple/few weeks after Picc and Espo visited him at Buxton in NJ) (from their Facebook)...
59634724_2241664966086461_8761247840866402304_o.jpg

Him moving back to Texas pretty much did us in. I’d put $ on him committing to Ok State.

I predicted this weeks ago. I think we should just get past this kid and move on to some other people. And if he wants to go to a team that's regressed, that's his prerogative. John Smith is becoming an old fart that pulls out cheap shot tricks with matches Ala, suriano-fix.

Fix perplexes me.
He is so aggressive in Freestyle, yet against Suriano he doesn't attack.

I would rather see AJ go anyplace other than Ok. State.
Fix played for a win in sudden victory in the NCAA Finals which is very odd.
J Smith antics during that finals soured me on him.

I know he is an all time great wrestler and coach, but he now sits right below Iowa in the teams I want to see lose. Actually, Ok State may have jumped Iowa on my list. I like a few of the Iowa Wrestlers (Lee and kemmerer)

Seemed like fix was coached to wait on Suriano giving him points ( hands to face, stall, grabbing headgear). Smith was a crybaby from the opening whistle looking for cheap points. How fix didn’t get called for any stall calls is unreal. Took 2 shots, backpedalled and wrestled on the line all match.

The move back to TX was in the works for awhile and R staff was fully aware of the situation, no surprises at all.

Same song & dance with Coach Smith at both the Suriano-Fix matches. NCAA crowd sure wasn’t buying his BS, including at the ref for not calling the stall for a loooong time.

Go RU!
Diane

Fix perplexes me.
He is so aggressive in Freestyle, yet against Suriano he doesn't attack.

I would rather see AJ go anyplace other than Ok. State.
Fix played for a win in sudden victory in the NCAA Finals which is very odd.
J Smith antics during that finals soured me on him.

I know he is an all time great wrestler and coach, but he now sits right below Iowa in the teams I want to see lose. Actually, Ok State may have jumped Iowa on my list. I like a few of the Iowa Wrestlers (Lee and kemmerer)

A lot of elite wrestlers have trouble generating offense against suriano. They just get stuck and can’t get a proper level change to take a good shot. It’s weird

Reactions: Abro1975
Pretty sure Nick was taken down just once, ever, in high school. Could be wrong but I think that’s the case.

Anyone have the # of takedowns he’s allowed in college? I’d be surprised if it’s more than 10.

He’s wrestled 72 matches including Lee, Gilman, Fix twice, Cruz twice, Micic twice, Pletcher twice, Lizak twice, Desanto, and Phillippi just to name the studs. That’s 13 TOUGH matches right there. Like I said, I don’t think there’s more than 6 or 7 TD’s given up there, and maybe a couple more elsewhere so about 10 total. Insane.

Pretty sure Nick was taken down just once, ever, in high school. Could be wrong but I think that’s the case.

Anyone have the # of takedowns he’s allowed in college? I’d be surprised if it’s more than 10.

He’s wrestled 72 matches including Lee, Gilman, Fix twice, Cruz twice, Micic twice, Pletcher twice, Lizak twice, Desanto, and Phillippi just to name the studs. That’s 13 TOUGH matches right there. Like I said, I don’t think there’s more than 6 or 7 TD’s given up there, and maybe a couple more elsewhere so about 10 total. Insane.

He has also wrestled Rivera a few times as well.

His jab really helps keep defenders at bay. He has great foot work always squared up to his defender giving no angles. It’s ridiculous when you think how dominant he is in his feet. With fix he never got impatient and tried to force it. He waited for fix to make the mistake and countered. Sometimes that’s what you gotta do.

A
His jab really helps keep defenders at bay. He has great foot work always squared up to his defender giving no angles. It’s ridiculous when you think how dominant he is in his feet. With fix he never got impatient and tried to force it. He waited for fix to make the mistake and countered. Sometimes that’s what you gotta do.

After Nicks' 3 close , controversial losses in January to Fix, Micia and DeSanto, MAN has he turned it on ! The Fearsome Warrior ! Or whatever it is that Flo Wrestling nicknamed him, lol.
According to his most recent interview with Flo, Nick may have other plans post wrestling. Acting?

After Nicks' 3 close , controversial losses in January to Fix, Micia and DeSanto, MAN has he turned it on ! The Fearsome Warrior ! Or whatever it is that Flo Wrestling nicknamed him, lol.
According to his most recent interview with Flo, Nick may have other plans post wrestling. Acting?

He's been pretty vocal about wanting to transition to MMA. That's how I took it. Maybe he has some additional surprises up his sleeve.

Reactions: rubigtimenow

PSU does a great job with keeping and sharing stats, something I wish other programs would do. 2016-17 Nick was taken down twice in dual meets. (Lizak, and I can't figure out who the other one was.) He won the Keystone Classic, and based on the competition there and his match scores, I don't believe he got taken down. So, for that year, I'm pretty sure the total was 2.

PSU does a great job with keeping and sharing stats, something I wish other programs would do. 2016-17 Nick was taken down twice in dual meets. (Lizak, and I can't figure out who the other one was.) He won the Keystone Classic, and based on the competition there and his match scores, I don't believe he got taken down. So, for that year, I'm pretty sure the total was 2.
Gilman was the other.

On 1/10/19, Flo posted on its Facebook page that only 6 people had taken down Suriano since he started HS:

1. Tommy Aloi
2. Thomas Gilman
3. Ethan Lizak
4. Sebastian Rivera
5. Brandon Cray
6. Spencer Lee

We can add:

7. Austin DeSanto
8. Stevan Micic

so that makes 8 people and I'll guess only 9 takedowns in the past 7 years of HS and college (2 takedowns for Lee and 1 by others). That's beyond insane.

Looks like he was committed to George Mason and we flipped him.

Hard to argue with a PA State Champ! You know he has been tested at the high school level.

Reactions: rondi
Would be cool to see a Rivera/Micic type deal with those two. Do we have Iowa on the upcoming sched?
I think we will at least know which B1G opponents we wrestle this upcoming season in June. Schedule won't be released until men's/women's hoops schedules are released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT