ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Wrestling News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrestling School!

amazing stat:

Also quite skewed. Listen, I'm a massive fan of all three programs, but you cannot compare wrestling recruiting classes to basketball and football.

How many kids are truly D1 caliber wrestlers vs. basketball players vs. football players
and there are 300+ D1 basketball schools, 120+ D1 football schools to compete against.

Lipari to 125 as tweeted by Pagano?...then retweeted by Lupari?..second hand info. So much for the Aragona, Lipari debate I guess.

Last edited:
Flowrestling is reporting that Nick S will not be participating in the World Team Trials this weekend (unfortunately- would have loved to see him there). The other big news is that Nolf will be participating at 74 kgs which is a heavier weight than he participated in when he lost to US team member James Green a few weeks ago. Nolf's absence from the 70kg division takes away a difficult competitor from Ashnault's attempt at making the US World Team at 70kg.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Flowrestling is reporting that Nick S will not be participating in the World Team Trials this weekend (unfortunately- would have loved to see him there). The other big news is that Nolf will be participating at 74 kgs which is a heavier weight than he participated in when he lost to US team member James Green a few weeks ago. Nolf's absence from the 70kg division takes away a difficult competitor from Ashnault's attempt at making the US World Team at 70kg.
That’s a nice break for Ash, but still going to be wildly difficult.

Robinson looked good when i saw him last in freestyle.
When was the last time he cut to 125?

I would expect he will be the 133 in 2 years depending on who else RU brings in.

https://www.flowrestling.org/rankin...ngs/31613-buckeyes-lead-2019-recruiting-hauls

Fantastic article showing that you need the elite and highly ranked recruits (87% of AAs in 2019), but even only ~50% of those pan out...from the link:

Hypothetically, a #5 class can certainly be usurped by a #20 if #5 has one guy flame out and #20 has a, say, Joey Lavallee or Drew Foster who were both unranked but who made NCAA finals. Or how about Taylor Venz - #96 that AA’d as a Frosh.

The attrition rate (and by attrition I mean ‘guys who quit or who never come close to expectation’) is so high that it really brings up the questions 1) why? and 2) as a college recruiter, how do you avoid it?

Let’s look at the 2013 and 2014 Big Board and take the Top 25 from each year. That’s 50 wrestlers total. You know how many never earned a single AA? 24. Nearly 50% of the best wrestlers those two years never placed. 13 (26%) never finished their career.

2019 NCAA Finalists by SR Big Board Rank

125: 2017 #2-Spencer Lee over 2016 #11-Jack Mueller

125 Big Board All Americans - 7 of 8 (Rayvon Foley)

133: 2016 #2-Nick Suriano over 2017 #1-Daton Fix

133 Big Board All Americans - 7 of 8 (John Erneste)

141: 2017 #3-Yianni over 2014 #13-Joey McKenna

141 Big Board All Americans - 7 of 8 (Kyle Shoop)

149: 2013 #12-Anthony Ashnault over 2014 #8-Micah Jordan

149 Big Board All Americans - 7 of 8 (Mitch Finesilver)

157: 2014 #4-Jason Nolf over 2014 #17-Tyler Berger

157 Big Board All Americans - 7 of 8 (Alec Pantaleo)

165: 2017 #19-Mehki Lewis over 2015 #3-Vincenzo Joseph

165 Big Board All Americans - 8 of 8

174: 2015 #1-Zahid Valencia over 2016 #1-Mark Hall

174 Big Board All Americans - 8 of 8

184: Unranked Drew Foster over 2016 #74-Max Dean

125 Big Board All Americans - 6 of 8 (Foster, Emery Parker)

197: 2014 #6-Bo Nickal over 2015 #44-Kollin Moore

197 Big Board All Americans - 6 of 8 (Preston Weigel, Ben Honis)

285: Unranked Anthony Cassar over 2014 #30-Derek White

285 Big Board All Americans - 6 of 7 (Cassar (+ Amarveer Dhesi of Canada))

Finalist Big Board Rank - Last Five Years

Top 10 - (48)

Top 20 - (13)

21 to 50 - (17)

Bottom 50 - (13)

Unranked - (9) Drew Foster, Anthony Cassar, Ronny Perry, Mike Macchiavello, Jared Haught, Lavion Mayes, Joey Lavallee, Brett Pfarr, Tyler Wilps

Donny is the epitome of a Class Act. In a perfect world, rumors or not, I would love for him to become the head coach, and Goody take over a large administrative position.

Reactions: TommyRutgers
The positive is that these are winnable matches. The downside is they don't really draw as much interest.

I think we will have plenty of interest this year at home especially coming off the momentum of 2 NCAA champions and a top 10 finish. At the end of the day, people want to see their team win, especially against conference opponents. I think we are still ways away from people taking winning against teams like UMD, Illinois & Indiana for granted especially since without AA we really don't have many bonus machines which is where the matches get completely out of hand quickly.

I think we will have plenty of interest this year at home especially coming off the momentum of 2 NCAA champions and a top 10 finish. At the end of the day, people want to see their team win, especially against conference opponents. I think we are still ways away from people taking winning against teams like UMD, Illinois & Indiana for granted especially since without AA we really don't have many bonus machines which is where the matches get completely out of hand quickly.
I agree with @Jersey Boys. People want to see the better teams. NJ wrestling fans are well educated on the sport, they know who the better programs are. You can see it by our attendance. Maryland doesn't draw like a Michigan or Oklahoma St.. They could careless if we win or lose as long as we're competitive, they want to see us wrestle the best.

Exactly the home schedule we want in order to continue positive momentum.

Maybe it’s about time we become a program that comes out for US and not the opponent. We’re close

Reactions: bigmatt718
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT