ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Wrestling News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless injured Glory will wrestle. Princeton will be a tough out. In 2 years they should be a top 5 team with Glory, Kolozdick, and Brucki as returning All Americans. All have a legit shot of a top 3 finish. Quincy Monday has definite AA potential. They also have a number of kids and incoming recruits who will qualify. Once at the tourney you never know (remember Perrotti and Theobold).

Unless injured Glory will wrestle. Princeton will be a tough out. In 2 years they should be a top 5 team with Glory, Kolozdick, and Brucki as returning All Americans. All have a legit shot of a top 3 finish. Quincy Monday has definite AA potential. They also have a number of kids and incoming recruits who will qualify. Once at the tourney you never know (remember Perrotti and Theobold).

Had a chance to talk with Ayres in RAC lot in between FinalX sessions... Very likeable guy that really reps not just Princeton... But NJ wrestling!!! This is going to be a great rivalry going forward!!!

As an outsider from Iowa, and one who likes to see the tides change, I'm thrilled with the idea of Princeton being that big.

I always root for them, as I do...

NJ entered at the prestigious Fargo Tournament (July 12-13), including 2020 RU commits Connor O'Neill & John Poznanski. Brother of RU 285 Chris Colucci also entered, Niccolo at 220. Also 2020 RU Commit from Ohio, Bryce Hepner is also entered for the State of Ohio team at 152. I didn't notice any of our other Out of State commits entered. Also noticed PU Coach Ayres daughter Chloe entered, as well other notables and familiar names.

New JerseyJunior Freestyle
106 – Kelly Dunnigan, Thomas Fischer
113 – Dylan, Acevedo, Alex Almeyda
120 – Joey Lamparelli
126 – Dainon Kappes, Luke Hoerle
132 - CJ Composto
138 – Jack Wemmlinger
145 – Justin Cantor, Joseph Zargo
152 – Gabriel Onorato
170 – Connor O’Neill
182 – Christopher Foca, John Poznanski, Peyton Craft
220 – Niccolo Colucci
285 – Mateo Cruz, Muhammad Darr

Junior Greco-Roman
126 – Dainon Kappes
152 – Gabriel Onorato
182 – Christopher Foca
220 – Niccolo Colucci
285 – Mateo Cruz, Muhammad Darr

Junior Women
100 – Sydney Petzinger
106 – Chloe Ayres, Jasmine Aizley, Johnae Drumright
138 – Veronica Whitacre
152 – Amanda Pace
164 – Kerly Borbor-Ordonez, Jewell Gonzalez
180 – Ekierra Hubmaster
200 – Kaila Mungo, Mia Lazaurs

16U Freestyle
94 – Henry Wilkinson
106 – Harrison Gordon, Evan Tallmadge
113 - Ty Whalen
120 – Jack Maida, Ethan Wilson
126 – Ethan Fernandez, Joey Fongaro, Dave Ryerson, Tyler Sagi
132 – Luke Ciampa, Anthony White, Hunter Gandy, Jack Napeloni, Jake Zargo
138 – Daniel Delusant, Tanner Peake, Shane Perry, Jason Smith
145 – Max Brignola, Corey Crater, Aaron Ayzerov
152 – Andrew Troczynski
160 – Anthony Derosa, Sabino Portella
170 – Colin Calvetti, Justin Onello, Brian Saldano
182 – David Pierson, Nick Olivieri
285 – Remy Brancato

16U Greco-Roman
94 – Henry Wilkinson
120 –Ethan Wilson
126 – Ethan Fernandez, Dave Ryerson, Tyler Sagi
132 – Luke Ciampa, Daniel Delusant
138 – Tanner Peake, Shane Perry
145 – Corey Crater, Aaron Ayzerov
285 – Remy Brancato

16U Women
100 – Sydney Petzinger
106 – Chloe Ayres
138 – Veronica Whitacre
164 – Kerly Borbor-Ordonez
180 – Ekierra Hubmaster

2018 16U All-Americans: Alex Almeyda (FS), Jack Maida (FS), Joseph Zargo (FS), Connor O’Neill (FS), Sydney Petzinger (W)
2018 Junior All-Americans: Christopher Foca (GR/FS)
FloRankings: Kelly Dunnigan (No. 7 at 106), Alex Almeyda (No. 20 at 113), Joseph Zargo (No. 9 at 145), Connor O’Neill (No. 7 at 170), John Poznanski (No. 5 at 182), Peyton Craft (No. 8 at 182)
National Girls Rankings: Sydney Petzinger (No. 11 at 100), Jewell Gonzalez (No. 12 at 152)

Last edited:
Anyone watch Yianni D.'s semifinal match at Yasar Dogu? He was wrestling a Hungarian wrestler who had Yianni down 9-0 at the break. Yianni kept coming and attacking and basically broke the other guy's will he was so exhausted and pretty much quit. It was 9-8 with under a minute left and the Hungarian wrestler was cautioned out of the match.

Unbelievable comeback and highly recommended to watch if you can.

Thank You for the heads up on the Yanni Semi-final.
He came so close to being teched.
Not sure if the Hungarian wrestler had the air knocked out of him on the roll where he gave up 2 points, but he didn't want to wrestle after that.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Thank You for the heads up on the Yanni Semi-final.
He came so close to being teched.
Not sure if the Hungarian wrestler had the air knocked out of him on the roll where he gave up 2 points, but he didn't want to wrestle after that.
It was funny seeing the ref telling him to get up and wrestle and he literally just did not want to.

Anyone watch Yianni D.'s semifinal match at Yasar Dogu? He was wrestling a Hungarian wrestler who had Yianni down 9-0 at the break. Yianni kept coming and attacking and basically broke the other guy's will he was so exhausted and pretty much quit. It was 9-8 with under a minute left and the Hungarian wrestler was cautioned out of the match.

Unbelievable comeback and highly recommended to watch if you can.
Where did you watch it? Was it on paid Flow only?

Ayers daughter wrestling and Carli winning another World Cup gave me pause. I know that we Endow too many sports as is. However the iron is hot right now. I understand it’s likely a pipe dream. Is there any desire to start a women’s team? It might create a nice buzz and some positive momentum for the athletic dept. we’d be viewed as progressive at a time when its popular.

Ayers daughter wrestling and Carli winning another World Cup gave me pause. I know that we Endow too many sports as is. However the iron is hot right now. I understand it’s likely a pipe dream. Is there any desire to start a women’s team? It might create a nice buzz and some positive momentum for the athletic dept. we’d be viewed as progressive at a time when its popular.

There's a lot of division 3 women's teams starting each year. It's probably still far off, but I can see starting one in 10 to 15 years.

O'Neill wins his first match 10-0 in 28 seconds at 170. He is really hitting the weights.

Poz at 182 wins by fall in 43 seconds.

Also Hepner won his first match 11-0 in under a minute.

Last edited:
Shawver coming up on Mat 7
Shawver won. It was a little confusing. Looked like 16-6 early in the 2nd, but it was reported differently by Flo.

Last edited:
Sunday, July 14th

9 AM to 1 PM - Cadet Freestyle Session III - Quarterfinals and Consolations

9 AM to 10 AM - Cadet Women Freestyle Session III – Consolations (IF NEEDED)

9 AM to 1 PM - Junior Men's Freestyle Session I - Preliminaries and Consolations

1:30 PM to 4 PM - Cadet Women's Freestyle Session IV - Finals, Medal Matches & Awards

4:30 PM to 8:30 PM - Cadet Freestyle Session IV - Semifinals, Consolations and Consolation Semifinals

4:30 PM to 8:30 PM - Junior Men's Freestyle Session II - Preliminaries and Consolations

Monday, July 15th

9 AM to 10 AM - Cadet) Freestyle Session V - Consolation Semifinals (IF NEEDED)

9 AM to 12:30 PM - Junior Men's Freestyle Session III – 1/8 Championships, Quarterfinals & Consolations

1 PM to 4 PM - Cadet Freestyle Session VI - Finals, Medal Matches & Awards

5 PM to 8:30 PM - Junior Men's Freestyle Session IV - Semifinals, Consolations and Consolation Semifinals

Tuesday, July 16th

9 AM to 10 AM - Junior Freestyle Session V - Consolation Semifinals (IF NEEDED)

9 AM to 12 PM - Junior Women Session I - Preliminaries and Consolations

1 PM to 4 PM - Junior Freestyle Session VI - Finals, Medal Matches & Awards

4 PM to 7 PM - Junior Women Freestyle Session II - 1/8 Championship, Quarterfinals and Consolations

Wednesday, July 17th

9 AM to 1 PM - Cadet Greco-Roman: Session I - Preliminaries and Consolations

1:30 PM to 4:30 PM - Junior Women Freestyle Session IV Finals, Medal Matches & Awards

5 PM to 9 PM - Cadet Greco-Roman Session II - 1/8 Championship, Quarterfinal and Consolations

Thursday, July 18th

9 AM to 12 PM - Cadet Greco-Roman Session III Semifinals and Consolation

9 AM to 1 PM - Junior Greco-Roman Session I - Preliminaries and Consolations

1:30 PM to 4 PM - Cadet Greco-Roman Session V Finals, Medal Matches & Awards

4:30 PM to 8:30 PM - Junior Greco-Roman Session II – 1/8 Championship, and Consolations

Friday, July 19th

9 AM to 1 PM - Junior Greco-Roman Session III Quarterfinals, Semifinals and Consolation

2 PM – 6 PM - Junior Greco-Roman Session IV Finals, Medal Matches & Awards

So Junior men's start again at 4:30?
Excited ti watch a few matches.
A good way to end my vacation

Just watched Shawver (spelling) and he appeared a lot smaller than his opponent.
Perhaps a career 125?
He hit the fireman's a few times....need to get him to wrestle DeSanto :)

Last edited:
Shawver coming up on Mat 9.

SHawver wins 14-4 in 4:54. Lots of fireman's carries and ankle picks/low leg attacks. My Flo kept dropping out so I didn't get a great view of the match. I will try to watch again later.

Last edited:
Hepner coming up Mat 9.

Hepner loses 12-2 to Matt Lee of Indiana who is #5 in the country at 152. You are right about the JVB comparison. He let the Indiana wrestler get to his legs multiple times.

Also, it appeared that the ref struck Hepner in the chest after the match. The Indiana coach came running over. I couldn't tell exactly what happened.

Last edited:
WOW....Late tech from O Neil, wins 15-5 (I think they missed a blue point).
It was 8-5 late and Oneil capitalize on his opponent having to try and score.

Thank you Clearscreen, I would have missed the last 2 bouts (The only ones i watched live today)
My pleasure. Did you see the Hepner bout? Looked like he said something to the ref and the ref pushed/struck him in the chest. There will be more about this I'm sure.

Yeah,just watched it. I thought Hefner let the ref get into his head with 1 or 2 questionable calls. I would not want to ref a Hefner FS match (He is all funk)
The ref should be out of the tournament. Imagine if this was in NJ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT