ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting 2020 PF Dean Reiber commits to Rutgers

As Fran Liebowitz said about Bernie Sanders: "I don't trust anyone that would move from Manhattan TO Vermont in their 20's".

Now retirement age is another matter...
Almost every NYer i have met in Florida are in their 30s. Many seemed to come out of nowhere in 1996 and they were very visible until 2001 when they seem to drop in numbers. Then in 2009 they seem to resurface but not quite in as large and numbers is in the late 90s. Then they disappeared again.

Odd phenomenon.

I have met two NYers who moved to Florida after retiring. He is a dickhole. His wife is a nice lady who is very friendly.

Portalnd meh. I could live in Vancouver very happily...great city.

Portland's got a great craft beer scene, and there's great wine in the area. Also really like Powell's Books and the Japanese garden, and that the city is really walk-able. I was tempted to move out there about 20 years ago, but I was teaching at the time and it would have been a massive salary cut without a commensurate drop in the cost of living.

Vancouver's great, though, too - the park, the sushi and dumpling places, the great coffee scene, cool historic and shopping districts. Together they definitely bump Seattle to #3 in that region, imo.

Vancouver is nice. Friendly people.

Agree - had a great time both trips to Vancouver. When I used to backpack around after college, I'd always ask other travelers their top three cities. Vancouver, Sydney, and San Francisco seemed to be mentioned more than most - haven't been to the other two yet.

Almost every NYer i have met in Florida are in their 30s. Many seemed to come out of nowhere in 1996 and they were very visible until 2001 when they seem to drop in numbers. Then in 2009 they seem to resurface but not quite in as large and numbers is in the late 90s. Then they disappeared again.

Odd phenomenon.

I have met two NYers who moved to Florida after retiring. He is a dickhole. His wife is a nice lady who is very friendly.

We get it after your numerous posts. You despise NY and people from the area. All is OK though, as some NYers might say......the city is not for everyone especially thin skinned aholes.

We get it after your numerous posts. You despise NY and people from the area. All is OK though, as some NYers might say......the city is not for everyone especially thin skinned aholes.

A lot of the people I know in NY are nothing more than thin skinned aholes. I'm not sure what you're talking about here anyway.

Reactions: S.W.A.I.N
A lot of the people I know in NY are nothing more than thin skinned aholes. I'm not sure what you're talking about here anyway.

It has about the same ratio has everywhere else. But there are more New Yorkers than, say, Clevelanders so there are more total.

Same way that every NFL fanbase has about the same percentage of dirtbags. But there are a lot more Patriots/Cowboys fans than Jaguars/Chargers fans, so you run into a lot more Patriots/Cowboys fans who are terrible people.

While NYC is not for me, I would never discourage anyone I knew who wanted visit or move there from doing so.

Also, I don't despise people from the area. There are 20 or so NYers that I have known for almost 30 years that I'm still in contact with. Great people.

As far as thin skinned, judging by your post, you appear to be the thin skinned one.

Typical CNN. Headline says one thing, but by the time you get to the fourth paragraph it says something else.

Headline says world's most exciting city. Then it becomes the city most people wanted to visit this year.

At one point I wanted to visit NYC. Then I did and was like "please don't make me go there again," but I had to go four more times on business. Then it got to the point where I turned down trips where my flight and hotel would be paid for, a Jennifer Lopez CD release party and a Michael Jackson concert, because they were in NYC.

But that's me. Like I said before, not everybody likes New York. Not everyone wants to live there, even if it's free room and board for four years, but it is an exciting city that millions want to visit...and then leave.

I'll be sure to tell all of the New Yorkers I meet in Florida that they need to go back because NYC is the greatest city in the world and reference the article you linked.
Not everyone can handle the big show. That's OK too. :)

Last edited:
There is a reason why NYC has more than double the population of the next largest city (Los Angeles), and is just shy of the next three largest cities combined (NYC has 8.4M, LA/Chicago/Houston combine to 9.0M). The NYC metro area (20.0M) is also 50% larger than the next closest (LA, 13.3M) on the list. It definitely has its draws.

Having grown up in that metro area, though, I think I take the city largely for granted.

Reactions: BLewis1968
What happens first?

Global warming takes NYC population to zero OR Rutgers basketball makes the NCAA tournament. If Mathis doesn't improve his outside shot I may have to change my car to eco mode.

Portland's got a great craft beer scene, and there's great wine in the area. Also really like Powell's Books and the Japanese garden, and that the city is really walk-able. I was tempted to move out there about 20 years ago, but I was teaching at the time and it would have been a massive salary cut without a commensurate drop in the cost of living.

Vancouver's great, though, too - the park, the sushi and dumpling places, the great coffee scene, cool historic and shopping districts. Together they definitely bump Seattle to #3 in that region, imo.

Chop, it may not be your thing, necessarily, but Vancouver had a really nice zoo when I was there.

Chop, it may not be your thing, necessarily, but Vancouver had a really nice zoo when I was there.

Didn't make it to the zoo either time I was there, but I did hear it was nice. Tons more to see up there - we're probably going to do an Alaska cruise at some point, and will make sure to spend a few more days in Vancouver either before or after.

I was in Portland a few summers ago and loved it. I want to go back and live there. Great food scene there too. Great for hiking. Great donuts. I have a Powell's books tshit. I'm with you, Choppin!

Reactions: RUChoppin
What happens first?

Global warming takes NYC population to zero OR Rutgers basketball makes the NCAA tournament. If Mathis doesn't improve his outside shot I may have to change my car to eco mode.

If he's going to be under 30% again then he just needs to do what Nojel Eastern does for Purdue. Don't even attempt them. 50% from 2, 65% from the line, get steals and rebounds.

If he's going to be under 30% again then he just needs to do what Nojel Eastern does for Purdue. Don't even attempt them. 50% from 2, 65% from the line, get steals and rebounds.

We are screwed if he isn't taking 3 point shots. Against good teams he would be a huge liability offensively. You can't have a guard not be a threat from outside. We desperately need him defensively.

Not everyone can handle the big show. That's OK too. :)
I guess that's why all of those people moved from NY to Florida. I can't say for sure. They just tend to get mad and curse when you ask them why they left if everything is so great in NYC.

I guess that's why all of those people moved from NY to Florida. I can't say for sure. They just tend to get mad and curse when you ask them why they left if everything is so great in NYC.

Retired public workers with generous pensions love the no income tax status of Florida and move there in droves. Short winters also play a role. Whole communities of ex cops and firemen down there. We fund those pensions with high taxes which will need to rise even more to make the pensions solvent.

Retired public workers with generous pensions love the no income tax status of Florida and move there in droves. Short winters also play a role. Whole communities of ex cops and firemen down there. We fund those pensions with high taxes which will need to rise even more to make the pensions solvent.
Yeah, I get that for retirees. They must live in other parts of Florida than where I've lived. Almost all of the people I meet from NY are in their 30s, some in their 20s so unless they retired early...

Yeah, I get that for retirees. They must live in other parts of Florida than where I've lived. Almost all of the people I meet from NY are in their 30s, some in their 20s so unless they retired early...

I'm guessing you don't live between Hollywood and West Palm - most of the people I know that retired to Florida headed to that stretch.

NY/NJ retirees definitely head to warmer and more tax-friendly climes.... with Florida perennially high on the list. Florida's #2 in the nation for % of inbound moves being due to retirement (39%), just behind New Mexico (41%).

There was a piece back in 2014 that showed Florida has the second fewest native residents in the country, with only 36% of residents having been born there. There were more Floridians born in NY (8%) than were born in any other state.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/08/13/upshot/where-people-in-each-state-were-born.html

I moved out of New York because I couldn't afford it. Supply and demand. Housing costs in NY are ridiculous. If you can't handle it, you have to move out. But the reason it costs so much is everyone who can afford it is moving in.

Also, regarding Rutgers, I live near New Brunswick in a small town that feels like Mayberry where we walk everywhere pulling kids around in little red wagons. I'm walking distance to a train that puts me in Madison Square Garden in under an hour. And I'm a 45 minute drive from Asbury Park and the beach.

Kidding aside, people all have their different preferences and that's fine. I'm sure people from Iowa love it. But NY is the big show for a reason and talented people that want to make their mark in the world gravitate here like moths to a flame. People move to Florida because they can't handle the cost of living here (because they don't make enough money). People move from Florida to New York because they want to take their shot at the big time.

I moved out of New York because I couldn't afford it. Supply and demand. Housing costs in NY are ridiculous. If you can't handle it, you have to move out. But the reason it costs so much is everyone who can afford it is moving in.

Also, regarding Rutgers, I live near New Brunswick in a small town that feels like Mayberry where we walk everywhere pulling kids around in little red wagons. I'm walking distance to a train that puts me in Madison Square Garden in under an hour. And I'm a 45 minute drive from Asbury Park and the beach.

Kidding aside, people all have their different preferences and that's fine. I'm sure people from Iowa love it. But NY is the big show for a reason and talented people that want to make their mark in the world gravitate here like moths to a flame. People move to Florida because they can't handle the cost of living here (because they don't make enough money). People move from Florida to New York because they want to take their shot at the big time.

A #1, top of the list, king of the hill...

If you're a country person who hates cities you're not going to like NYC. If you're an urban city person than NYC is king obviously. Most famous city in the world. Can't really argue that.

Also HATE when people compare someone to a pro and people say they are nowhere near as good. Freaking obviously. Do you want people to compare someone's game to a dude at their local pick up game no one on the board knows? Although this post did say clone and went a little far with it I agree. In general I despise answers like Russ's on that one. The worst

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I'm guessing you don't live between Hollywood and West Palm - most of the people I know that retired to Florida headed to that stretch.

NY/NJ retirees definitely head to warmer and more tax-friendly climes.... with Florida perennially high on the list. Florida's #2 in the nation for % of inbound moves being due to retirement (39%), just behind New Mexico (41%).

There was a piece back in 2014 that showed Florida has the second fewest native residents in the country, with only 36% of residents having been born there. There were more Floridians born in NY (8%) than were born in any other state.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/08/13/upshot/where-people-in-each-state-were-born.html
Oh heck no. As a general rule I try not to go any further south than Ft. Lauderdale unless I'm covering an AAU event. In that case I'm just back and forth between the hotel and the gym. Definitely not many native Floridians, especially in the major cities, most people are from somewhere else. I definitely know 5 native Floridians, one lives on my street, and possibly a sixth.

If you're a country person who hates cities you're not going to like NYC. If you're an urban city person than NYC is king obviously. Most famous city in the world. Can't really argue that.

Also HATE when people compare someone to a pro and people say they are nowhere near as good. Freaking obviously. Do you want people to compare someone's game to a dude at their local pick up game no one on the board knows? Although this post did say clone and went a little far with it I agree. In general I despise answers like Russ's on that one. The worst
I grew up in Washington DC then the family moved to the Maryland burbs. Lived in Philly, Houston, San Francisco and Baltimore. So I'm an urban city person and NYC is not king to me. I'll take LA over NYC if I had to choose but now I'd take neither due to the crazy high state taxes.

However there are more types of people than "country" and "urban." It's not like everyone who doesn't live in a big city or big metropolitan area lives on a farm or some podunk town (although that probably what most TV news people think and is a common theme on TV...hey you're either the Waltons/Little House on the Prairie or you are Seinfeld or a show based in Chicago or LA).

I wasn't comparing the kid to Bird and saying he wasn't as good. I don't like it when someone compares a high school kid to any pro, let alone one of the greatest that ever played the game. Perhaps you misunderstood my post on that.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUChoppin
Funny how this thread turned from being about a nice recruit ( roughly 54 basketball comments ) and then it spiraled out of control with about 48 posts on NY city and other cities. Laughed my butt off.

Funny how this thread turned from being about a nice recruit ( roughly 54 basketball comments ) and then it spiraled out of control with about 48 posts on NY city and other cities. Laughed my butt off.
Yeah, I guess that's my fault. #hijacked

Reactions: zazoo2002
Two reasons people have historically moved from NY, NJ, Conn., Mass...to Florida, 1. The weather 2. Cost Usually, the over 50 crowd. That simple fact has changed somewhat over the past 10 to 15 years, 1 and 2 have reversed in order, Cost of living in NYC is and surrounding areas has increased to the point that average families can longer enjoy a decent lifestyle. Florida, offers North Easterners, more for the buck. The reason Russ sees more 30 something transplants is two fold, one it's his peer group, and two they are looking to improve their living situation. Now, the big downside of relocating for the younger set, are jobs, quality higher paying jobs. But, as they settle in, with the relocation, they realize that can reinvent goals. Many start small business's or find other avenues to maintain a lifestyle. But, after everything is said in done, the population of Florida is increasing by 300,000 new residents per year. As the population increases, the lure of a lower taxed State will be an inducement for a variety of larger Companies.

No problem. What was wired for me was first 50+ posts were on the kid then 99% after we’re on cities. I kept reading to see if BB comments would ever be posted again

Fighting the good fight to get the thread back on track! lol

Overall, I'm excited to see what Reiber brings to the table. Bit of an under-the-radar type player that can hopefully be developed in the program the way Baker/Omoruyi were. Love the hair - hopefully it comes along with the energy of Salvi and Lalas.

Fighting the good fight to get the thread back on track! lol

Overall, I'm excited to see what Reiber brings to the table. Bit of an under-the-radar type player that can hopefully be developed in the program the way Baker/Omoruyi were. Love the hair - hopefully it comes along with the energy of Salvi and Lalas.
I can remember the Salvi wigs at the rac

Reactions: rubigtimenow
And they still refer to themselves as New Yorkers I bet...

This is an incredibly irritating thing about many New Yorkers. My wife and two sisters were born and raised in NY, really having no choice in the matter. Then they willingly choose to move to another state to raise their kids. And when asked where they are from, they say NY. I say, “You chose to leave NY and live in NJ and have been happily living here for the last half of your life. If NJ is so bad, just go the f back. See ya!”

Last edited:
What happens first?

Hit a huge one late in this one!

Watched the highlights.....
Obviously you only see baskets and not good defensive plays

It is a reminder some of our perimeter players lateral quickness is really lacking.

Also for the folks who don't think Mathis plays major minutes and is our most important player......

Mathis has to play a major role. He has to put a large footprint in most games on both sides of the floor. He has something that no returning player on the roster has. No returning perimeter player is/(hopefully) was an even average defender.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT