ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting 2020 PF Dean Reiber commits to Rutgers

He has something that no returning player on the roster has. No returning perimeter player is/(hopefully) was an even average defender.

Kind of a tough statement for a team that finished 46th in the country in kenpom "adj defensive efficiency" metric, no?

Kind of a tough statement for a team that finished 46th in the country in kenpom "adj defensive efficiency" metric, no?

46/351 sounds great, but...

There are 87 power-conference teams, including the AAC. 46th puts us a hair below average. (Below median, anyway)

In the Big Ten, we were 12th out of 14.

That's great...I love when people twist words around to sensationalize a thought. Either way, the size is close, the jump shot looked similar on a little baseline shot, even the reverse layup looked like something Larry did with the Celtics. Bird wasn't fast but was shifty. Traits I see with Reiber. Give it a rest. I didn't call him Bird. I said there were many things that reminded me of him and I wish Reiber would be ANYWHERE NEAR to what Bird did. Some people look to pick apart anything. Holy crap! Maybe I should be sorry for a little enthusiasm but I won't be. Perhaps you should be for your over critical analysis of my enthusiasm.
Your points are accurate & very well taken.

46/351 sounds great, but...

There are 87 power-conference teams, including the AAC. 46th puts us a hair below average. (Below median, anyway)

In the Big Ten, we were 12th out of 14.

We are like 4 years removed from.....:Poop.......46 does still sound good to me!!!!!

Point is well taken and I agree

Watched the highlights.....
Obviously you only see baskets and not good defensive plays

It is a reminder some of our perimeter players lateral quickness is really lacking.

Also for the folks who don't think Mathis plays major minutes and is our most important player......

Mathis has to play a major role. He has to put a large footprint in most games on both sides of the floor. He has something that no returning player on the roster has. No returning perimeter player is/(hopefully) was an even average defender.
You didn't think Caleb is even an average defender?

I thought Caleb started to "get it" and have a few moments late in the season on defense - but he was very inconsistent closing out on shooters, and he'd get lost sometimes when we were forced to switch. Hopefully an offseason of practice, watching film, and internalizing the concepts will go a long way with him.

Reactions: gregkoko
Watched the highlights.....
Obviously you only see baskets and not good defensive plays

It is a reminder some of our perimeter players lateral quickness is really lacking.

Also for the folks who don't think Mathis plays major minutes and is our most important player......

Mathis has to play a major role. He has to put a large footprint in most games on both sides of the floor. He has something that no returning player on the roster has. No returning perimeter player is/(hopefully) was an even average defender.
Sit this one out. Jacob young has a chance to be first team all big ten defense. At least take the time to go back and watch some JY games at texas. In particular the nevada ncaa tourney game where he logged like 35 mins due to his defensive skills

Sit this one out. Jacob young has a chance to be first team all big ten defense. At least take the time to go back and watch some JY games at texas. In particular the nevada ncaa tourney game where he logged like 35 mins due to his defensive skills

Which is great, but Young isn't defending the post. Our two best defenders are on the perimeter - will be interesting to see that how well our frontcourt can defend without fouling.

Which is great, but Young isn't defending the post. Our two best defenders are on the perimeter - will be interesting to see that how well our frontcourt can defend without fouling.
I really dont get where people are getting off on eugene being this great defender. Eugene was not a good defender in the post, he got pushed around like a baby. People just remember him taking charges and think hes great for that. Reality is, how many attempted charge takes lead to either a) fouls or b) no calls and an easy bucket. We’ll miss Doorson a helllllluva lot more than eugene on the defensive end

I really dont get where people are getting off on eugene being this great defender. Eugene was not a good defender in the post, he got pushed around like a baby. People just remember him taking charges and think hes great for that. Reality is, how many attempted charge takes lead to either a) fouls or b) no calls and an easy bucket. We’ll miss Doorson a helllllluva lot more than eugene on the defensive end

I understand you don't like Omoruyi - but when he wasn't in the game last year (even injured), our post defense fell apart. Carter was lost, Johnson was foul-prone, and Doorson was slow (which worked great against big bodied centers, but not for more athletic guys who could step away from the rim). We're hoping this year to see big improvement from Carter, Johnson, and Doucoure defensively... and that a couple of 3/4 guys can bang defensively underneath. That's a big hope.

Hoping Reiber can step in as a plus defender - no way to know that until he gets here, though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT