ADVERTISEMENT

2022-23 Transfer Watch

Seems like Hammond is the guy we need to replace Geo, especially with the uncertainty around Jaden Jones.

Why is Jones still a topic of discussion? he was never going to be here after this year anyway, the only think surprising was he declared for the Draft, and didn't go directly to the portal, have to question who in the world is advising him.

Penn State picks up one solid transfer and one guy who I don't think is much of a difference maker. Hammond and Wynter were my top two (realistic) PG options but I don't think Funk is very good (Taylor Funk from St. Joe's is quite good, that's who I thought this was at first).

Penn State picks up one solid transfer and one guy who I don't think is much of a difference maker. Hammond and Wynter were my top two (realistic) PG options but I don't think Funk is very good (Taylor Funk from St. Joe's is quite good, that's who I thought this was at first).

Eh I think Funk’s a solid pickup. At least statistically he looks solid.

Wynter is also a solid pickup like you mentioned but didn’t really improve much over his Drexel career.

This doesn’t move the needle much for them, though. They’re still gonna struggle mightily in the conference, especially inside. Cliff will abuse whoever they throw out there

Why are so many people worried about red flags with transfers? The new reality comes down to 2 things - getting paid and getting playing time. There is no incentive for a player to stay with a program if he is not getting one or the other. And you are guaranteed that if he is getting playing time - he will be looking for who will pay him more. Why wait for a pro/NBA possible payday when you can get one today? Want players? Pay up. Want to keep your players? Pay up. In effect every school should plan as if all their players are one and done now.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
Why are so many people worried about red flags with transfers? The new reality comes down to 2 things - getting paid and getting playing time. There is no incentive for a player to stay with a program if he is not getting one or the other. And you are guaranteed that if he is getting playing time - he will be looking for who will pay him more. Why wait for a pro/NBA possible payday when you can get one today? Want players? Pay up. Want to keep your players? Pay up. In effect every school should plan as if all their players are one and done now.
This makes me... sad.

Because it's probably true.

Wynter is also a solid pickup like you mentioned but didn’t really improve much over his Drexel career.

This doesn’t move the needle much for them, though. They’re still gonna struggle mightily in the conference, especially inside. Cliff will abuse whoever they throw out there
The Patriot League is really bad, Bucknell was the worst team in it, and Funk's numbers before this season were not very good. It's just hard to see a world where a random guy from the worst Patriot League team (102 ORtg, and Bucknell's defense was third-worst in the entire country) is a solid contributor in the Big Ten.

Taylor funk already got picked up I believe

Just noticed that class of 2018 4* guard Devonaire Doutrive is now in the portal looking to transfer again... (I'm not suggesting him as a target for RU..) Those of us who've been familiar with the Arizona program for a few years are familiar with Doutrive. He transferred to Boise State after being dismissed at Arizona for multiple violations of team rules in 2019 during his second season there, and he's now looking to transfer again, after also being dismissed from the Boise State program in December.. I can't help but wonder where he'll end up next season.

Reactions: rubigtimenow

Peter Kiss looked good too when we picked him up. Just saying….

You might be the only person still factoring Jones into the equation
Right - there is one important way to factor him in though and folks on here don’t want to hear it. Jones’ RU story (spot on the bench) symbolizes the likely trajectory of any kid who comes to RU and doesn’t put effort into defense. We’re selling this philosophy to recruits because those are the types of kids Pike wants.

Also - Pike seems to be prioritizing finding a transfer guard who can shoot (we’re not hearing that much about wings / small forwards). Maybe I’m being overly optimistic but it sure seems like he’s expecting Caleb back.

I didn't think Kiss looked good when he transfered in but the board loveddd it.

I did fall for Pike saying he was the best shooter on the team and started to get my hopes up though
I have no doubt that, in general, if it wasn't Peter Kiss, if the nation's D1 leading scorer from an NEC school was in the portal and interested in Rutgers the board would be going crazy in a positive way.

Probably a good choice…although I thought Mathis would have fared better than he actually did there.
He just never was or will be an efficient offensive player whatsoever. Has his moments for sure but just not good overall. Very solid defensively though which earned him his minutes.

Curbelo regressed considerably as a sophomore which isn’t a good sign, but he dealt with injuries.

Reactions: rockyrutgers
Cam Spencer from Loyola Maryland visiting next week. Younger brother of Pat who was a tremendous lacrosse player and then played one year of basketball at Northwestern.

Reactions: Scangg
Cam Spencer from Loyola Maryland visiting next week. Younger brother of Pat who was a tremendous lacrosse player and then played one year of basketball at Northwestern.
I’m a little torn but one thing to note is he averaged more steals last year than Caleb (yes, I know, in a much worse league - annoyed that I even have to acknowledge that).

He also averaged 37 minutes a night on a bad team which boosts his numbers. Overall, don’t mind bringing him in if we get Hammond - then there’s some legit competition for guard minutes

Hammond and Spencer would be nice additions. I'm wondering if there are legitimate names in portal linked to Rutgers who can gives us minutes at PF/C. Someone who will focus on defense and rebounding. A Jaylan Gainey type from Brown, Ivy DPOY. I don't think we have a shot with him, but I would love someone in same mold. We have to get a legitimate player, just in case Cliff has to miss extended minutes/games. There wss juco PF we seemed to be linked to a few months back, Jonathan Mogbo from Northeastern Oklahoma. He seemed like a Rutgers-type defender, able to defend multiple positions. But I really think we need a 6' 10"+ PF/C who can match up with the Purdue-type shreks we seem to encounter every year. What about a player like David Skogman, C from U Buffalo?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT