ADVERTISEMENT

2022-23 Transfer Watch

I will wager he ends up at a top 25 program. And I will wager he has better numbers next year than Cliff. I hope not. I don't see how he doesn't.

you really can’t extrapolate stats from low major programs. Look at Peter Kiss. Low major super star. When he was at RU, I saw a guy who had no idea what to do, because he didn’t have the green light to jack up shots on every possession. Also saw a guy who often lost focus on defense and had major mental lapses on D.
Lots of big time scorers from low majors see their stats go down materially. Cliff would be 20 and 10 at a low major.

It shouldn’t be about starting over cliff, it should be about adding a quality big that can hopefully play at the same time as cliff in some sets. Dean Reiber is not Christian Laettner. Improve the overall depth at 4/5 and get a shooter and a wing.

Reiber is a 4 and will be there is season
Reiber played I think 0 minutes at the 4 so you can't say he IS a 4. Maybe he plays there next year but he hasn't yet. If he does it's likely only for a few minutes. He is the backup 5 until we see or hear differently

It shouldn’t be about starting over cliff, it should be about adding a quality big that can hopefully play at the same time as cliff in some sets. Dean Reiber is not Christian Laettner. Improve the overall depth at 4/5 and get a shooter and a wing.
The point is we’re not getting a guy who put up big numbers somewhere else to come play behind Cliff.

Reactions: Scangg
I'm not being a debbie downer here but thus far the outlook is not as positive as we hoped. Quinn leaning elsewhere, Wright leaning elsewhere.

They are playing it very close to the vest so hard to predict whats going to happen. But not the best start.

Thankfully there are tons of names in the portal.

I'm not being a debbie downer here but thus far the outlook is not as positive as we hoped. Quinn leaning elsewhere, Wright leaning elsewhere.

They are playing it very close to the vest so hard to predict whats going to happen. But not the best start.

Wright leaning elsewhere? Says who?

It’s been less than a month - the sky isn’t falling.

Reactions: briccnerff
We should have been going hard after a HS big to complement Cliff this next season and take over the following year.
I agree. No top level transfer wants to sit behind Cliff. He's not a big like Kofi or Edey who may play less minutes bc of his size. Cliff is a freak athlete in phenomenal shape that has the cardio to play 35 minutes.

A HS recruit who is ok not playing much as a freshman or redshirting may be a better fit. Although if Cliff gets hurt we are kind of screwed, but we if that happens the season is likely not going to go well regardless

It’s been less than a month - the sky isn’t falling.

What about what I said made you think the sky is falling?

I literally said its not going as well as we hoped but thankfully there's a lot of people in the portal and they are so quiet we don't know whats really going on?

That qualifies now?

I know people aren't jazzed about Woolfork because he is under the radar, but wouldn't he qualify as that incoming recruit? For what it's worth, his film looked solid, but highlights are highlights.
Woolfolk is more skilled than some think bc he was under the radar. He is just now focusing on bball as a multi sport athlete so he has room to grow and develop. I believe it was said the plan was to redshirt him though

Aren't we still one of the favorites to land 6'10 Gus Yalden in 2023? He is a pretty high profile recruit and pretty capable of sharing the 5 spot after next season.
This is a good point. He can likely step right in and at least play some role as a freshman

It’s been reported that Pike is focused on the portal and not HS players.
It doesn’t matter where they come from HS or portal. HS players are now riskier so many teams will shy away. Things change every day and there are a lot more options now than there were 2 years ago.

It doesn’t matter where they come from HS or portal. HS players are now riskier so many teams will shy away. Things change every day and there are a lot more options now than there were 2 years ago.
The difference is portal players are older and have some experience. They should be more ready to contribute than a freshman.

Woolfolk is more skilled than some think bc he was under the radar. He is just now focusing on bball as a multi sport athlete so he has room to grow and develop. I believe it was said the plan was to redshirt him though

This is a good point. He can likely step right in and at least play some role as a freshman
Richie has said that Woolfork may be redshirted.

Richie has said that Woolfork may be redshirted.
I get that, but I’m not sure how realistic redshirting is anymore given today’s climate. If he can give you some solid back up minutes next year you have to consider it.

I get that, but I’m not sure how realistic redshirting is anymore given today’s climate. If he can give you some solid back up minutes next year you have to consider it.
Wanting to RS him implies he won’t be able to give those kind of minutes. He’s apparently raw.

Reactions: RU_DIO
Unless I'm misunderstanding, I think you might be incorrect on Steph Curry's college 3PT percentage..

Steph Curry shot 40.8% from 3 his first year at Davidson, 43.9% his second year, and 38.7% his 3rd and final year. Career college 3PT percentage was 41.2%. (His career college FG% (not 3PT%) was 46.7%.)

You are right. My bad. I misread the regular FG% for 3 point %.

Wanting to RS him implies he won’t be able to give those kind of minutes. He’s apparently raw.
How many minutes will the 3rd string 5 actually get? Cliff just eats up a huge percentage of the 5 minutes that there isn't room for 3 to play. It's not an attractive destination for a talented big. I am not expecting anyone who moves the needle there this cycle.

What about what I said made you think the sky is falling?

I literally said its not going as well as we hoped but thankfully there's a lot of people in the portal and they are so quiet we don't know whats really going on?

That qualifies now?
Thought you were saying it wasn’t going well with portal transfers.

Especially when he’s not from Jersey and has been in this state 4 years.
This was my thought on it. He's not from here so it's not like he's staying home and playing in front of friends and family. If I was him, I would probably want to use my last year to see a different part of the country

The outlook is not very good thus far and anyone saying otherwise, as of today, is full of it. Something needs to get done here. We need to start landing guys, and I mean major contributors, or we are in major trouble next year.

Reactions: bac2therac
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT