ADVERTISEMENT

2022-23 Transfer Watch

The outlook is not very good thus far and anyone saying otherwise, as of today, is full of it. Something needs to get done here. We need to start landing guys, and I mean major contributors, or we are in major trouble next year.
The staff is "all in" on Wright. Don't expect anyone else to commit here until that domino falls

The outlook is not very good thus far and anyone saying otherwise, as of today, is full of it. Something needs to get done here. We need to start landing guys, and I mean major contributors, or we are in major trouble next year.
It's April 10th. Something needs to get done by when? What is your "Get Done By Date? Or, we are in major trouble.

Really, No need to answer. I don't think anyone wants to hear more nonsense in April when rosters are finalized the first week of September when the fall semester starts.

“Nobody” good. Okay. No negativity whatsoever. I hope he lands 3 studs just speaking the trusty AS OF today.
No one they are looking has committed. I would agree with you thought if their top 3 choices pick other schools but it’s very very early to too soon to call anything negative. Pike will land 1-2 guys soon and let’s hope they are difference makers.

It's April 10th. Something needs to get done by when? What is your "Get Done By Date? Or, we are in major trouble.

Really, No need to answer. I don't think anyone wants to hear more nonsense in April when rosters are finalized the first week of September when the fall semester starts.
September? Do you think there’s gonna be guys waiting to jump onto our roster come September who are going to help our program? Can I have some of what you’re smoking lol!

Reactions: RUMED
September? Do you think there’s gonna be guys waiting to jump onto our roster come September who are going to help our program? Can I have some of what you’re smoking lol!
Guys go in and out of the portal up to and including rhe summer. CJ Getty's was an August transfer. I selected September because that is judgement day. When the roster is finalized

Guys go in and out of the portal up to and including rhe summer. CJ Getty's was an August transfer. I selected September because that is judgement day. When the roster is finalized
The rules are different now. Players need to be in the portal by May 1 in order to be guaranteed the free transfer. Otherwise they'll need an appeal.

Reactions: RU-Choppin-Ohio
The rules are different now. Players need to be in the portal by May 1 in order to be guaranteed the free transfer. Otherwise they'll need an appeal.
Thank You. So in the portal by May 1.

But, Does not apply to grad transfers which will get another influx after spring semester or even early summer graduations.

Reactions: Scangg
Jake Stephens followed his coach to Chattanooga... I expect that we'll be seeing this stuff a lot more in the future. Sucks for VMI... Head coach leaves for a better team in the same conference, and takes VMI's top players with him.

Last edited:
Weren't some of you lunatics saying that Stephens guy is better than Cliff? Bunch of wackos on this board.
Lol they thought because he can shoot 3s, that he’s better than a legit nba prospect who will be preseason all big ten next year.

Good fit for him with Huggins.

Some here comparing him to a walk on 🤣
Toussaint plays hard, can handle the point and would be an asset to any P5 roster. Unfortunately there are plenty of shooters who can’t defend or handle the ball and those guys don’t play very much.

Weren't some of you lunatics saying that Stephens guy is better than Cliff? Bunch of wackos on this board.
I definitely don't think Stephens is better than Cliff, except for his obvious advantage in outside shooting... Cliff is far more fluid, athletic and explosive... But because Stephens signed with Chattanooga isn't proof that he's not a pretty good player. He felt more comfortable staying with his previous coach who got him this far and with his coach's system (especially since he only has 1 year to play), and Chattanooga is a good team that lost by a point to Illinois in the NCAA tournament. Stephens will also be familiar with much of his competition since he stayed in-conference.

He's using his extra covid year as a grad transfer with a degree in computer science, and VMI doesn't have a graduate program. His coach Dan Earl starred as a player at Penn State, but Dan Earl's father Denny played for Rutgers in the mid 60's.. So at least his coach has SOME socially redeeming value... 😉

Last edited:
He left HS early to get to UConn for the spring semester and he leaves the team before the semester is even over.

Is that a red flag ? If not red, definitely a dark orange.
He was there for the fall semester too. Enrolled at UConn in August at the age of 17... Practiced but redshirted the entire season.

Last edited:
They’ve had a few transfers, the red flag is with Hurley IMO
1000 kids in the portal....lots of teams have multiple transfers. All those transfers are not the coaches. But....Unconn did lose 2 freshmen guards, Diggins and Floyd....could be Hurley.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scangg
Corey Floyd definitely makes things interesting. He has a connection with both Cliff and Derek Simpson, adds a third Freshman, redshirted 2021, to 2022 with Simpson & Woolfork. We could still take Hammond, 5th year, and a Big with 1 or 2 years remaining, and possibly have 3 or 4 available for 2023, whether or not Caleb returns for 5th year and Cliff declares for the NBA in 2023 is probably his trajectory. That will set us up nicely for 2024 and some of the top talent available that year.

Corey Floyd definitely makes things interesting. He has a connection with both Cliff and Derek Simpson, adds a third Freshman, redshirted 2021, to 2022 with Simpson & Woolfork. We could still take Hammond, 5th year, and a Big with 1 or 2 years remaining, and possibly have 3 or 4 available for 2023, whether or not Caleb returns for 5th year and Cliff declares for the NBA in 2023 is probably his trajectory. That will set us up nicely for 2024 and some of the top talent available that year.
I predict Floyd to Providence

Reactions: shields
Maybe a scarlet flag
Well played sir.

If your current coach is a jerk and you respond to a different type of coaching, Pike might be what you are looking for.

Older generation is used to coaches berating you. Players these days often don't respond to it

1000 kids in the portal....lots of teams have multiple transfers. All those transfers are not the coaches. But....Unconn did lose 2 freshmen guards, Diggins and Floyd....could be Hurley.
But I keep getting told on these boards that when someone transfers from Rutgers it is the coaching staff’s fault. Are you telling me players actually leave for other reasons? 🤔🤔🤔

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT