ADVERTISEMENT

2023-24 Coaching Carousel

Off the wall thoughts :
Wonder if the UofA hires their OC Brennan Carroll to replace Fisch will Brennan's unemployed dad Pete sign on as an advisor to kelp make the transition of
going from a coordinator working under the HC to the man in charge.

Maybe even Pete Carroll will take the job with the assurance that when he steps down his son replaces him

Off the wall thoughts :
Wonder if the UofA hires their OC Brennan Carroll to replace Fisch will Brennan's unemployed dad Pete sign on as an advisor to kelp make the transition of
going from a coordinator working under the HC to the man in charge.

Maybe even Pete Carroll will take the job with the assurance that when he steps down his son replaces him

looks like San Jose State coach Brent Brennan os going to be the UofA's choice.
But with Scott Frost supposedly wanting the job and Arizona not in best financial shape, Frost might be be willing to start with a low salary and that might give him the edge.
Frost's work at UCF could be used as the reason chose over t Brennan

looks like San Jose State coach Brent Brennan os going to be the UofA's choice.
But with Scott Frost supposedly wanting the job and Arizona not in best financial shape, Frost might be be willing to start with a low salary and that might give him the edge.
Frost's work at UCF could be used as the reason chose over t Brennan
I've seen his name mentioned but I'm not familiar with him. Out of some of the names mentioned out there I'd think Barry Odom and GJ Kinne are worth a shot. I thought Brennan was an alum and that's why he was mentioned but he went to UCLA. Not so sure what's so special about him then, he was a GA for 1 year at UA. That can't be a big deal.

I've seen his name mentioned but I'm not familiar with him. Out of some of the names mentioned out there I'd think Barry Odom and GJ Kinne are worth a shot. I thought Brennan was an alum and that's why he was mentioned but he went to UCLA. Not so sure what's so special about him then, he was a GA for 1 year at UA. That can't be a big deal.
Brent Brennan seems to be a top candidate, but his work at San Jose State isn't very impressive.
Barry Odom probably would be a better choice and failure at Missouri wasn't the disaster kind . He just didn't meet expectations in his first HC role.
GJ Kinne looks like talent on the rise and Arizona might be able to bring him onboard at a good price.
Like I think you feel, I think Kinne would be a better choice than Brennan.

Odom with another successful year running UNLV might put himself inline for a better position and be a reason for him to stay for the 2024 season
If he feels that way, he might price himself out of the job because of not really wanting it unless he gets top dollar feeling one more successful year running The Running Rebels will get him top dollar at a P-5 program

Reactions: Knight Shift
Wommack and DeBoer were Allen’s coordinators for 1-2 years when IU was able to do well.

Chryst would’ve been a solid choice for Iowa but too bad for them.

Supposedly tug of war between players who want Nansen and NIL boosters who want Brennan.

Last edited:

Brennan’s 34-48 career record isn’t impressive but that requires some serious context. San Jose State is one of the toughest places to coach in the country. Brennan has to fundraise to ensure his players can have breakfast in the football facility every day because the school can’t afford it — players receive swipe cards to eat lunch and dinner on campus. The Spartans practice on a field with broken field goal posts. In the 26 seasons before Brennan took over in 2017, San Jose State made just three bowl games. He’s led the Spartans to three bowls in the past four seasons with little-to-no resources — position coaches have to set up their own drills — competing against programs with much bigger budgets like Boise State, Fresno State and San Diego State.

Brennan has shown he can get the most out of what he has, so it’ll be interesting to see him at a Big 12 program with some semblance of resources.

Brennan’s 34-48 career record isn’t impressive but that requires some serious context. San Jose State is one of the toughest places to coach in the country. Brennan has to fundraise to ensure his players can have breakfast in the football facility every day because the school can’t afford it — players receive swipe cards to eat lunch and dinner on campus. The Spartans practice on a field with broken field goal posts. In the 26 seasons before Brennan took over in 2017, San Jose State made just three bowl games. He’s led the Spartans to three bowls in the past four seasons with little-to-no resources — position coaches have to set up their own drills — competing against programs with much bigger budgets like Boise State, Fresno State and San Diego State.

Brennan has shown he can get the most out of what he has, so it’ll be interesting to see him at a Big 12 program with some semblance of resources.
Don't let the anti Greg crowd see that.

I found this quote laughable from the Athletic on Fisch leaving Arizona for double the money.

"Fisch isn’t a backstabber. He’s a coach with a family. I would have done the same thing."

He wasnt starving at Arizona, making $3.25 million per year. Unless he is a poor money manager or lives an extravagant lifestyle, he is set for life.

Last edited:
Don't let the anti Greg crowd see that.

I found this quote laughable from the Athletic on Fisch leaving Arizona for double the money.

"Fisch isn’t a backstabber. He’s a coach with a family. I would have done the same thing."

He wasnt starving at Arizona, making $3.25 million per year. Unless he is a poor money manager or lives an extravagant lifestyle, he is set for life.

Never have issues with coaches leaving. Everyone has a right to decide what is best for himself, whether it's related to money, career goals, where they want to live etc...

In the same token, I don't have issues with players moving either for the same reasons. Wetzel and Forde had a pod just talking about that and they often make fun of the whole "guardrails" stuff. They're right. Coaches shouldn't be talking about guardrails, wild west etc.. when they do the exact same thing. Coaches talk about transparency for NIL too which is probably good but how much transparency is there for schools when Jimmy Sexton or whatever agent controls the market and could be ginning up "fake demand" for coaches who might not even be real candidates but scare the schools into thinking they are. They also can be agents for ADs and even presidents. Talk about conflict of interest.

Never have issues with coaches leaving. Everyone has a right to decide what is best for himself, whether it's related to money, career goals, where they want to live etc...

In the same token, I don't have issues with players moving either for the same reasons. Wetzel and Forde had a pod just talking about that and they often make fun of the whole "guardrails" stuff. They're right. Coaches shouldn't be talking about guardrails, wild west etc.. when they do the exact same thing. Coaches talk about transparency for NIL too which is probably good but how much transparency is there for schools when Jimmy Sexton or whatever agent controls the market and could be ginning up "fake demand" for coaches who might not even be real candidates but scare the schools into thinking they are. They also can be agents for ADs and even presidents. Talk about conflict of interest.
As usual, we agree. Not mad at Fisch or anybody else for bettering their situation. I hopped jobs like a rabbit early in my career, looking for the best fit and salary, but I was orders of magnitude of salary lower than Jedd Fisch. It was just the take of the sportwriter that made me laugh. Heard that the quality and cost of filet mignon are better and cheaper in Seattle than in Tuscon too, so that may have played into to for Jedd Fisch. A family needs to eat with inflation and all. 😜

Reactions: rutgersguy1
As usual, we agree. Not mad at Fisch or anybody else for bettering their situation. I hopped jobs like a rabbit early in my career, looking for the best fit and salary, but I was orders of magnitude of salary lower than Jedd Fisch. It was just the take of the sportwriter that made me laugh. Heard that the quality and cost of filet mignon are better and cheaper in Seattle than in Tuscon too, so that may have played into to for Jedd Fisch. A family needs to eat with inflation and all. 😜
Arizona was hindered by state law limiting length of contract to 5 years.
That doesn't sound like a deal breaker but add less money that the UofA probably could offer because of University's financial problems and there probably was no way Judd Fisch could justify staying and turning down the offer Washington made

The UofA and Brennan have agreed to a 5-year deal, which is the longest they could offer anyone..
My guess is salary will probably be around what Fisch made .
Brent Brennan might be a good choice because of his HC experience and the job he did at San Jose State , but my choice would have been gambling on Brennan Carroll being able to move up from the OC position to HC and continuing Fisch's 2023 success in the 2024 season and keeping this star freshman QB in the roster

Weird move
Linguist might be getting out of town before kicked out
14-23 in 3 years ,3-9 in 2023 doesn't bode well for longevity, especially if the fanbase became accustom to winning under your predecessor
Guess that explains it, but last year was all Cole Snyder's fault!
Their OL was not good, nor was their defense. Linquist was swimming against the tide with other MAC teams rising. Seems his recruiting was not great maybe because he was not a Cunning Linquist.

Not sure I was aware of this at the time, but in the stories about Fisch leaving U of A there was discussion about the school identifying a $240mm gap in its finances last November and as a result there is a significant austerity program in place. Maybe this is why the SJS coach was considered the best person for the job.

Not sure I was aware of this at the time, but in the stories about Fisch leaving U of A there was discussion about the school identifying a $240mm gap in its finances last November and as a result there is a significant austerity program in place. Maybe this is why the SJS coach was considered the best person for the job.
He supposedly came in second when Fisch got hired. Thought it was a questionable choice until I read about the circumstances of SJS. Seems like an okay option for them.

AD was carting around Fifita after the team meeting. That’s a key player to try and keep on board.

His brother and wife are alums of UA

Last edited:
Nunzio, the Cuse OC Nixon and Babers mentioned among others on this list.

Syracuse quarterbacks coach Nunzio Campanile is a Northeast guy. A longtime New Jersey high school coach who won a state title in 2017, he moved up to Rutgers from 2018 to ’22, twice serving as the interim head coach. He joined Syracuse last season and was retained by new head coach Fran Brown.

Syracuse quarterbacks coach Nunzio Campanile is a Northeast guy. A longtime New Jersey high school coach who won a state title in 2017, he moved up to Rutgers from 2018 to ’22, twice serving as the interim head coach. He joined Syracuse last season and was retained by new head coach Fran Brown.
Nunzio might be a gamble, but might just be ready for the challenge if he can bring in good help.
Pull in his brother Anthony as DC ( doubtful but a thought) and OC Dave Patenaude might be someone worth retaining .

Good move by Day.
O'Brien , despite the New England fiasco, is one of the better OCs around and I'm surprised he's not a P-5 HC

Thought he might reunite with Kelly at LSU since he needs an OC and he did try and recruit Rees from ND to LSU.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Walters came from Illinois' staff and these hirings often come from within known networks. I don't know that merit comes into play as much as it should.
comfort zone hires I call them.
Hiring people you know rather than gamble on ones that seem to have what it takes, but haven't worked with them to be sure they do

Huge fall from grace for Grinch.

The Grinch Sport GIF by Bodyboarding Panama

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT