ADVERTISEMENT

Scarlet Shack

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
number of foul shots we taken in big ten play In road losses...

Four very close losses and a fifth that was a 2 point game with 4-5 minutes to go (michiigan state)...four of which are ranked

This is not about the refs

This is about find a way about being much stronger and more confident with a lot more aggressive on the offensive end hy attacking the rim when the fans are to provide the energy to give to that lift

Game seems to be consistently bigger than them In these difficult spots. A limited offensive team that seems
To fold on the road at the end. They still have a chance to win one of these. But they’ve really looked poor in the end game on the road. I think it’s more likely we drop a home contest like this. It’s still a vast improvement from where we’ve been. Hopefully as these young men mature they continue to play with the determination they have and begin to make smarter choices in crunch time.

Reactions: bac2therac
number of foul shots we taken in big ten play In road losses...

Four very close losses and a fifth that was a 2 point game with 4-5 minutes to go (michiigan state)...four of which are ranked

This is not about the refs

This is about find a way about being much stronger and more confident with a lot more aggressive on the offensive end hy attacking the rim when the fans are to provide the energy to give to that lift

One thing we've struggled with is finishing through contact. I've seen some talk in other threads about "drawing fouls" in those late game moments - but there aren't any fouls to be drawn. Our guys have to finish, even if they're getting mugged. They have to expect to take hard contact, and go up hard with the ball knowing that they have to get the ball through the hoop while being hit on the arms, shouldlers, and head.

Twice last night we got rejected on layup attempts, and our offensive player just gave up figuring the play was over because of the foul.... and both times, Maryland came away with the ball instead. Can't expect a whistle - not in this league, and certainly not on the road.

One thing we've struggled with is finishing through contact. I've seen some talk in other threads about "drawing fouls" in those late game moments - but there aren't any fouls to be drawn. Our guys have to finish, even if they're getting mugged. They have to expect to take hard contact, and go up hard with the ball knowing that they have to get the ball through the hoop while being hit on the arms, shouldlers, and head.

Twice last night we got rejected on layup attempts, and our offensive player just gave up figuring the play was over because of the foul.... and both times, Maryland came away with the ball instead. Can't expect a whistle - not in this league, and certainly not on the road.

This ....must go every harder and stronger to the basket. Whistle is so uneven that you have to really earn it some nights and need to take matters in your own hands and make a strong move time and assume that the bail out of a foul call will never come

When you do that ...the foul shots will come especially on the road

Reactions: RUChoppin
Sigh...

It’s not all about foul shouts. It’s about refs and Pikiell

Sigh...

It’s not all about foul shouts. It’s about refs and Pikiell

A lot of the officiating issues come down to home/away this year, across the B1G.

While home in conference games:
Rutgers: 87 PFs, 130 FTs...... Opponent: 114 PF, 79 FTs...

While away in conference games:
Rutgers: 118 PFs, 71 FTs.... Opponent: 77 PFs, 131 FTs

It's almost exactly flipped when on our own court vs. another court - and I don't think that can be simply chalked up to just not playing well outside the RAC (though there's definitely an element of that).

But we have to know (especially on the road) that the refs will not bail us out with a whistle if there's contact under the basket - we NEED to go up expecting to get hammered and to still power through to get the ball to go down.

I would love to see some real in depth analysis that really shows how much home court bias there really is with officiating. It would involve objectively looking at thousand of games and noting instances where fouls should have been called OR fouls that shouldn't be called.

Just looking at fouls called home and away doesn't tell us the entire picture. Teams play different home and away so there should be some differential.......how much is the real question.

I'd also be curious to see the percentage of fouls that occur in "fast break" possessions vs. "half court" possessions. I'd also love to see numbers home and away Rutgers getting out in transition.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT