ADVERTISEMENT

A realistic look at the program

I think the B1G is getting exactly what they wanted by inviting Rutgers. They knew our financials and didn’t give us full share. They set up the unbalanced divisions. NJ recruiting has propped up the blue bloods in conference. I don’t think there was any expectation or desire for Rutgers football to win right away or at all.

I’ll go a step farther. I do think the B1G is getting what it wanted but I don’t think they give rat’s ass whether or not we are successful on the field. It’s win-win for them...a good Rutgers team would benefit the league but so does TV sets, a media capital and a fertile recruiting ground for Ped State, OSU, Michigan, etc. to pillage. I do, however, think they would rather we, or any other team in the league would not be the laughingstock that we are becoming.

Since this thread is about being Realistic...

For the people who are upset with the contract... understand that it is a standard contact in College Football. The extension was caked in due to Flood, it was the only way to get anyone to take this job. It is ok to discuss the business side of things, but at least try to do some research and see how contracts are normally done these days. Compare to other colleges, was Ash's contract a lot different? No it wasn't. The only reason you even care is because we got blown out by freaking Kansas and recruiting is not going well. If Ash was killing it on gameday and recruiting, no one here would give a damn about the contract.
I agree with you and this is the norm. I've mentioned it multiple times on here like most things I post lol. Either the contract is fully guaranteed or a large portion of it is.

Bieliema got like 11-12M of 15M or so he was owed. I posted yesterday about how Kingsbury got a 7 year deal just after 1 good season but much of that was guaranteed and only in the last few years were the buyouts reduced to 75% this year and 50% the last 2 years. It would still cost them 4M to fire him after this year as he's owed 8M.

BUT I will disagree with your point that no one would come if we didn't tack years related to probation. You're essentially agreeing on anything from a 6-8 year contract for a first time P5 HC. I don't agree with that decision making process at all and don't think it was necessary. Baylor level problems got Rhule a 7yr deal, we had nothing near that that deserved anything similar. I'm not even sure Obrien got any stipulations like that when he took over PSU. I couldn't find it at least when I looked it up. Move on to the next guy if your current candidate needs it, there would be just as suitable candidates that would come here. It's a matter of just being fixated on 1 guy and kowtowing too much as too many ADs do for coaches and their agents these days.

Reactions: motorb54
OP started out good but once it went into the "belonging in the B1G" or longing for the Princeton's of the world, it went way off track.
We suck right now but no reason we don't belong in the B1G. Those mid 2000 teams got us here and those teams would have been squarely in the middle of the pack playing in the B1G. We would have been blown out a few times and we would have upset some of the big boys too. Most likely on the bubble of being a bowl team most years too.
So, we earned and belong where we are. We just have to get better. And I am completely out of patience at this point.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
The extension isn't the issue: you want that for recruiting purposes if for nothing else. It's the $9 million buyout after this season which is just insane.
The Roy Hobbs goof--I had just seen The Natural for the umpteenth time, and in my growing senility, I transferred ithe character to RU's Pat Hobbs!!!

There is no evidence we belong in major cfb. Outside of a brief reprieve with Schiano, this program has been in the tank for a while. In addition it seems to be getting worse. You look around and now see the Troy's of the world are better than us, where does that put us? We used to look at Illinois, Maryland, and Indiana as good opportunities for wins, now they are looking at us as the patsy. We should not be in a power conference. I can see us in the Mid-American Conf, I think we could be somewhat competitive there and a lot of the teams are fairly close.

Reactions: RUMassAlum
I think the B1G is getting exactly what they wanted by inviting Rutgers. They knew our financials and didn’t give us full share. They set up the unbalanced divisions. NJ recruiting has propped up the blue bloods in conference. I don’t think there was any expectation or desire for Rutgers football to win right away or at all.
Cannot disagree at all.

With all due respect, the only thing the B1G “saved” was Olympic/non-revenue sports. The money for those sports will do wonders. Football is an entirely different animal. It will still require institutional/fan/donor support to be able to be competitive in this conference, even once we are fully vested. That includes hiring and paying for a real STAFF. Any good HC that can make an impact will not only want to get paid but needs money for his assistants. And I just can’t see that happening here. It takes a lot to feed the proverbial football “beast” and I don’t think RU or the state of NJ has the stomach for it. Unless RU football gets itself a “sugar daddy” or two, a la T. Boone Pickens, who’ll say “don’t worry, I’ll take care of Flood/Ash’s buyout” it’s going to be a very long, rough stretch. Hence why you get posts like this yearning for our FCS football days. I get it.
Yours is the best comment/response in this thread, a succinct summary of the underlying issue, well stated. I agree 100% with you.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
With all due respect, the only thing the B1G “saved” was Olympic/non-revenue sports. The money for those sports will do wonders. Football is an entirely different animal. It will still require institutional/fan/donor support to be able to be competitive in this conference, even once we are fully vested. That includes hiring and paying for a real STAFF. Any good HC that can make an impact will not only want to get paid but needs money for his assistants. And I just can’t see that happening here. It takes a lot to feed the proverbial football “beast” and I don’t think RU or the state of NJ has the stomach for it. Unless RU football gets itself a “sugar daddy” or two, a la T. Boone Pickens, who’ll say “don’t worry, I’ll take care of Flood/Ash’s buyout” it’s going to be a very long, rough stretch. Hence why you get posts like this yearning for our FCS football days. I get it.
Agree!

Yours is the best comment/response in this thread, a succinct summary of the underlying issue, well stated. I agree 100% with you.

Thank you. We simply don't have the resources or state support to eat a bad football hire, let alone two back to back. Flood's replacement needed to be a home run hire for us to have a chance in this conference and so far it's been anything but.

And the OP responded to others, but did not see fit to respond to my post. Maybe he is Smykowski from Office Space.
jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg
And the OP responded to others, but did not see fit to respond to my post. Maybe he is Smykowski from Office Space.
jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg
tenor.gif

Ash is not going to get anything done here. The guy is a meathead moron. He can't recruit. He can't coach. He can't delegate. He has the personality of a wet rag.

Yeah. Some dipshit from Iowa was the right guy for the job. He got 10 million bucks from the moron's running RU athletics though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT