ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Adding UCLA, USC was always on Kevin Warren's mind

Did USC/UCLA to the B1G get started when the B1G and PAC12 conducted talks last year about scheduling games between the conferences?

My impression is that when those talks began that USC/UCLA confided to the B1G that they wanted out of the Pac12.

True or False?

Reactions: MADHAT1
Sickening. We have 2 years to work out issues with academics and the distance from LA to NJ. What is going to happen in 2 years? Cure for jet lag? An addition of a 8th day of the week for athletes that have access to a time machine?

@Geo_Baker_1 and Paul Mulcahy and Cliff have to take 5 hour flights and miss more class time so they can air 1 more game at 1030PM and generate a few extra dollars.

Reactions: NickRU714
Sickening. We have 2 years to work out issues with academics and the distance from LA to NJ. What is going to happen in 2 years? Cure for jet lag? An addition of a 8th day of the week for athletes that have access to a time machine?

@Geo_Baker_1 and Paul Mulcahy and Cliff have to take 5 hour flights and miss more class time so they can air 1 more game at 1030PM and generate a few extra dollars.

I'd rather travel and play in LA than Lincoln Nebraska or some other nondescript conference. This is a homerun on every level.

I hope you didn't miss the article that clearly states the B1G will be revenue sharing with the student athletes, so there will be some compensating factors in being in the best conference in all of college sports.

Last edited:

Many PAC 12 schools in Olympic Sports and Basketball would travel to LA and play both UCLA and USC over a few days. I remember UCLA doing this for the Arizona and Washington schools.

Guessing that you feel that no team should ever play or be on a conference with the University of Hawaii.

Quiet, 5 hour flight is a great way to get some reading/studying done, especially compared to the distractions in the dorm/apartment.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
I'd rather travel and play in LA than Lincoln Nebraska or some other nondescript conference. This is a homerun on every level.

I hope you didn't miss the article that clearly states the B1G will be revenue sharing with the student athletes, so there will be some compensating factors in being in the best conference in all of college sports.
This 100%. At least there are direct flights to LA - tons of them. This is being vastly blown out of proportion. Once every other year the team will spend a week out west playing the two Cali teams in back to back Saturdays. They will miss one week of in person classes two times in their 4 years of college. Big deal.

Remote learning is all the rage. In the past, players would miss class time. They can stay current with remote learning and not miss critical in-class sessions. You can thank Covid for this new style of learning.

Reactions: asgot
This is turning into the typical complaint session by some Rutgers fans.

on air lol GIF by Elvis Duran Show

You can’t be serious on the bottom paragraph with basketball. The trip out to LA to play two schools located 12 miles apart from either is exponentially less taxing than the majority of the current west division conference teams (and for BB there are no divisions so we play those teams as often as Ohio State or Maryland). There’s no way the commute is more of a pain travel wise than trips to Nebraska, Iowa, etc. It’s a long weekend trip with a day between games. Big deal. There are lots of things to worry about but this is the least of it. And the trip won’t even be made every year.

For Rutgers, There are only 2 sports that schools play every other school. Basketball, MBB, WBB. At least once per year. Other sports would have west coast travel like once every 2 or 4 years

USC and UCLA will bear the burden of increased travel.

For Rutgers, There are only 2 sports that schools play every other school. Basketball, MBB, WBB. At least once per year. Other sports would have west coast travel like once every 2 or 4 years

USC and UCLA will bear the burden of increased travel.
Correct. Thank you for clarifying. It would be one football trip out west to play the California schools every 4 years not 2.

Reactions: RU-Choppin-Ohio
You can’t be serious on the bottom paragraph with basketball. The trip out to LA to play two schools located 12 miles apart from either is exponentially less taxing than the majority of the current west division conference teams (and for BB there are no divisions so we play those teams as often as Ohio State or Maryland). There’s no way the commute is more of a pain travel wise than trips to Nebraska, Iowa, etc. It’s a long weekend trip with a day between games. Big deal. There are lots of things to worry about but this is the least of it. And the trip won’t even be made every year.
We shouldn’t have to play Nebraska either.

things got out of control over a decade ago. This last move bringing us out to California is the icing on the cake.

All these moves are being made 100% for money. There is no thought about how it impacts the student athlete.

Myles Johnson has a year of eligibility left and has retired because it couldn’t work.

I am not smart enough to understand all the financial arrangements for recent/new admissions to the conference.

Does anybody know if there will ever be an athletic contest in which Rutgers/Maryland/Nebraska line up as a conditionally-funded member against USC/UCLA as a full member? Or will all three finally be full members by the time the California schools are competing in the B1G?

I understand how these things came about, but it seems a little slimy (and somehow embarrassing). That's college sports nowadays. Just wondering. Sorry if already asked/answered...

My biggest concern is how this impacts our chances of winning. Adding UCLA and USC just made winning much more challenging in every sport. Both because we now have to complete against 15 teams rather than 13 but the 2 we added are powerhouses across the entirety of their athletic departments. What's the upside for Rutgers again other than a bigger revenue check (which all of our Big Ten competitors also get)?

My biggest concern is how this impacts our chances of winning. Adding UCLA and USC just made winning much more challenging in every sport. Both because we now have to complete against 15 teams rather than 13 but the 2 we added are powerhouses across the entirety of their athletic departments. What's the upside for Rutgers again other than a bigger revenue check (which all of our Big Ten competitors also get)?
Well, I think the bigger revenue check helps us keep up in the arms race and shouldn't, theoretically, put us behind...so there's that.

I am sure Geo realizes that Rutgers lost money on sports in all 5 of his years here.

I’m sure it will be one trip to California per year for each sport, right? That doesn’t seem that bad to me. I’m sure we’ll play both schools out there back to back.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Love the hypocrisy.

"Paying athletes and NIL is ruining college sports. All they care about is money. They should be happy just to play a sport. This isn't the college athletics I grew up on!"

"Also...let's add additional travel time and destroy a partner conference just so the AD can make more money! Stop complaining. Its going to make us more money and that's all that matters!"

We shouldn’t have to play Nebraska either.

things got out of control over a decade ago. This last move bringing us out to California is the icing on the cake.

All these moves are being made 100% for money. There is no thought about how it impacts the student athlete.

Myles Johnson has a year of eligibility left and has retired because it couldn’t work.

Of course its all about money......but I don't recall you complaining about teams shipped out to the west coast for the NCAA tourney or how being in a Conf Tourney for an extended run impacts the student athlete. Not sure why this is the windmill you want to fight but If you're going to complain at least be consistent. College athletes live and breath their sport every waking moment. Many amateur sports have tourneys all over the country starting at a young age into carrying into college. Hell, even most college club team athletes live and breath their sports. It requires significant time and dedication from athletes, parents, coaches etc......regardless of how average ot good a participant might be. An extra 9 hours in the air every season/sport for the BIG not going to change that.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Well, I think the bigger revenue check helps us keep up in the arms race and shouldn't, theoretically, put us behind...so there's that.
Since every other team in the Big Ten is getting the same bigger revenue check and now we add 2 more competitors (good ones) to the existing 13, yes, we've reduced our chances of being successful.

What hasn't changed in the last 50 years is the same teams are the only teams that could win a championship in football - and athletes are still paid

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT