ADVERTISEMENT

Announcers Creating Controversy During OSU Game

RUKiid

Junior
Feb 4, 2004
Anyone catch where the announcers were trying to back to the first half on a play where OSU was called for a shotclock violation but it should have been a foul on Cam? Seemed like they were trying to make a big deal about th call but it fell flat. Listen BIG network, nothing can replace that terrible call in the first game.

Anyone catch where the announcers were trying to back to the first half on a play where OSU was called for a shotclock violation but it should have been a foul on Cam? Seemed like they were trying to make a big deal about th call but it fell flat. Listen BIG network, nothing can replace that terrible call in the first game.
Hate to say I agree with them. If it's the play I'm thinking of, it certainly looked like the ball hit the rim earlier in the clock.

Almost felt like OSU coach couldn’t argue because of the guilt he felt with their bogus win.

The announcers did have a bit of an OSU love fest going on. It‘s okay, winning is the only thing that matters.

I think there were subjective calls that benefitted both teams tonight, and maybe a few more favorable calls for RU than OSU. But both teams had more than enough opportunities to outscore the opponent and win despite any bad calls.

In the end, RU made the shots and OSU didn’t. That was the difference.

The missed call in the last meeting, an objectively unarguable violation with basically no time on the clock, led to an unrecoverable situation for RU. A very different thing, IMO.

I thought one of their guys came back in from out of bounds to touch the ball before Key got it, and I wasn't sure that player reestablished himself in bounds before doing that. But I could be wrong.
I saw that too. Thought it was a near repeat of what happened at the end of the last matchup. But they didn’t show a good enough camera angle to be positive an RU player didn’t get a finger on it before the player stepping in touched it.

Yes, their bringing it up in the second-half was a bid odd. I got the feeling that someone got in the ear of one of the announcers. However, the call itself (after they went to the monitor and spent considerable time reviewing) was puzzling if in fact they ultimately ruled that it was a shot clock violation. Perhaps there was more to the ref’s ultimate determination than what was reported.

Their issue was that the ball hit the rim a couple of times before the clock expired and thus should have reset. The replays supported their view.

The play by play person twice said during the game that RU was trying to win the game to protect their B!G lead. She was never corrected that Purdue leads the conference standings. They also had issues with the score, team fouls and timeouts at different points in the game. Not the best BTN production.

it was a play
like a half-dozen others i could think of....

but, they ran the replay of that play SPECIFICALLY in the final timeout of regulation.

yes, they made tooo big a deal about it....
I was amazed that they did that. I've watched way too many college basketball games over the years and I can't recall anyone ever doing that. I've seen many, many blown calls. But to drag up footage late in a nail-biter of a possible incorrect call in the first half...and ONLY THAT particular possible incorrect call....I thought was puzzling.
But hey...we won. Screw them.

I was amazed that they did that. I've watched way too many college basketball games over the years and I can't recall anyone ever doing that. I've seen many, many blown calls. But to drag up footage late in a nail-biter of a possible incorrect call in the first half...and ONLY THAT particular possible incorrect call....I thought was puzzling.
But hey...we won. Screw them.
Yes, had the same thought. Weird. Someone got in their ear for them to bring it up like that.

Reactions: Kbee3
The announcers did have a bit of an OSU love fest going on. It‘s okay, winning is the only thing that matters.

I think there were subjective calls that benefitted both teams tonight, and maybe a few more favorable calls for RU than OSU. But both teams had more than enough opportunities to outscore the opponent and win despite any bad calls.

In the end, RU made the shots and OSU didn’t. That was the difference.

The missed call in the last meeting, an objectively unarguable violation with basically no time on the clock, led to an unrecoverable situation for RU. A very different thing, IMO.
Hummel always fellates RU's opponents every time when he does our home games.
Then he begrudgingly gives us props during the game summary and after game interviews.

Refs blew the call that the announcers went back to. It was obvious that the ball hit the rim 2x. Shot clock should have reset. RU and Cam caught a big break there.

I thought one of their guys came back in from out of bounds to touch the ball before Key got it, and I wasn't sure that player reestablished himself in bounds before doing that. But I could be wrong.
You are 100% correct on that play the player was out of bounds and hit the ball to Key should have been our ball

Don't listen to them. I turn on the game / DVR it. Then lower the sound and listen to Recco / Austin!

MO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT