ADVERTISEMENT

any good suggestions for a cheap Caribbean family vacation?

restartRU

Senior
Feb 20, 2005
sorry for the OT to those offended.

Looking for a reasonably priced Carribean vacation with 3 kids under 10. probably 3 nights sometime between April 16 and April 26.

Any recommendations?

Check out deals to Puerto Rico. A few years back my better half swung a good deal at Copamarina down there, then another one in a hotel on the beach around San Juan.

A lot of sites on line advertising deals.
All inclusives to Dominican can be good deals.
Believe 3-4 day cruises to Bahamas may be kids travel free in some cases

If you are willing to rustic try Cinnamon Bay in St. John, USVI. It's part of the National Park and they have no frill cottages for less than $100 per night. It's right on the beach at Cinnamon Bay with some cottages only a 30 foot walk to the water. It was a an adventure for the kids or could be a romantic getaway for you and your spouse, partner, new friend with benefits, etc...

When we went with the family we stayed there for 4 days and rented a house with a pool the remaining 5. It average out pretty well financially. You can do a hotel,or resort stay instead for part of the vacation.

Go to one of the Florida Keys. In reality they are islands surrounded by beautiful waters. A lot cheaper. Get a cheap flight to Miami rent a car and drive on down.

I love the Caymen Islands , been there about 5 times but if you want to go cheap go to the Keys.

Originally posted by RC1978:
Go to one of the Florida Keys. In reality they are islands surrounded by beautiful waters. A lot cheaper. Get a cheap flight to Miami rent a car and drive on down.

I love the Caymen Islands , been there about 5 times but if you want to go cheap go to the Keys.
Good call on the Keys. I just got back, took my kids there for spring break. Its worth renting a car in Miami and driving to check out the views. You probably will want to stay in the upper keys if a short stay, but the ride to Key West is awesome if you have more time. Its about 100 miles from Key Largo to Key West. Also Key West is a little rowdy for younger kids, think Boubon Street type atmosphere. Key Largo was nice, and there is plenty to do besides sun. I definitely recommend an Everglades tour.

Costa Rica. It's not the carribean but, it's just as cheap. A lot of great things to see and do. You can stay at this place for pretty cheap, have a driver, tour guide, and anything else you want.......surfcosta.com

Originally posted by pigmasty83:

Key Largo was nice, and there is plenty to do besides sun.
Did you get a chance to say hello to Bertie Higgins?

Sanibel Island. No traffic lights. Great reasonably priced restaurants. Great calm gulf beaches for the kids. Miles of bike paths. A nice Ecopark Reserve to visit. Easy access to airport. American doctors if you happen to get sick. Shoulder/off season pricing in April. The Sanibel Inn will do for a few days. Have fun. You will be back. $$$$

This post was edited on 3/18 3:54 PM by dollarbill

This post was edited on 3/18 3:55 PM by dollarbill

Originally posted by RC1978:

Good suggestion about the Florida Keys (as long as its not Lobster Diving Season).

Very simple to get to and it really is a beautiful drive thru the keys...many times with Ocean on one side and the Gulf on the other. (Drive the speed limit though...some of those small keys have 35-40 mph...don't speed, let others pass you).

I've been to the Keys/Key West probably 20 plus times...fun for families and a great "Spring Break" for adults.

Dealing with Customs, Foreign Country, etc...with 3 young kids on such a short trip...just doesn't seem worth it to me,

NOTE: Check airfares into Key West too...as they have some Jet service from a few airports...many times at/near the same price as flying into Miami or Lauderdale.

This post was edited on 3/18 4:03 PM by Knight_Light

This post was edited on 3/18 4:20 PM by Knight_Light

For a short trip forget the Caribbean and choose a nice place in FL. We prefer the West Coast. Easy flight to Tampa then rent a car and head south as far as you want. Caribbean is a hassle for a short trip and the food and service is subpar compared to FL.

Originally posted by DJ Spanky:

No, but I couldn't get that damned song out of my head for the whole week. At least until I got to Key West and Buffet music displaced it.

Saw the African Queen though. Pretty cool.

Originally posted by DJ Spanky:

No, but I couldn't get that damned song out of my head for the whole week. At least until I got to Key West and Buffet music displaced it.
So you went from "Sailing away to Key Largo" to "Wasted away again in Margaritaville"

2 things or ideas
One poster suggested Cinammon Bay in St. John's. That's expensive to fly there. If you did that I'd get a passport & go to Ivan's on Jost Van Dyke in the BVI. $75 for a rudimentary 'cabin' per night, RIGHT on the water at White Bay beach. Unreal, very quiet.
Go cheap, go to Assateaque's State Park campground, if you can get a site (which isn't easy to do). Camp right on the other side of the dunes with wild ponies running around & pretty decent bath houses. They also have grills at each camp site. Rent a small camper, if you don't want to tent it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT