ADVERTISEMENT

Any new news on Sean Gleesons offense?

BROTHERSKINNY

Heisman Winner
Oct 21, 2010
One of the things that has always disappointed me about Rutgers is our offense. Minus that glorious 3 year span 2005-2007 Rutgers offenses have always been anemic. Sean Gleeson is bringing a highpowered, quick pace, physical offense and this was one thing I was really excited to see the progression throughout this season. Has anyone heard anything, want to make some comments or share their throughts on RU's past offenses or what they want to see out of Gleesons offense?

One of the things that has always disappointed me about Rutgers is our offense. Minus that glorious 3 year span 2005-2007 Rutgers offenses have always been anemic. Sean Gleeson is bringing a highpowered, quick pace, physical offense and this was one thing I was really excited to see the progression throughout this season. Has anyone heard anything, want to make some comments or share their throughts on RU's past offenses or what they want to see out of Gleesons offense?

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...-offense-will-they-put-up-big-numbers.198034/

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...b-competition-recruiting.196402/#post-4554504

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...-gleeson-introductory-press-conference.196470

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/oc-gleeson-discusses-his-offense.196654

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/princeton-hc-bob-surace-talks-hiring-of-gleeson.185625

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/sean-gleeson-interview-aug-6-2019.185593

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
My only concern about Gleesons no huddle offense is that when we go 3 and out it takes only about 30 seconds off the clock.

Not an actual concern.
The maximum a 3 and out can take off the clock is 2 minutes of "real time" or "game time".
40 seconds x3
1st to 2nd down
2nd to 3rd down
3rd to 4th down

Any offense that goes 3 and out repeatedly will tire our defense.

"Slow" bad offense isn't any better than a "Fast" bad offense.

The problem is a bad offense - not how fast it is bad.

Do you think the defense says "Another 3 and out? Oh wait it's been 2min - not a not big deal."

To play devil's advocate, what about a fast good offense vs a slow good offense? That's the real issue. Just ask the Eagles defensive players under Chip Kelly.

Reactions: NickRU714
To play devil's advocate, what about a fast good offense vs a slow good offense? That's the real issue. Just ask the Eagles defensive players under Chip Kelly.

If the offenses are scoring at the same rate (points per possession):
Fast offense will score more points than the slow offense.

Ask the 2019 LSU defensive players if they minded LSU scoring quickly every play?
Scoring offense: #1 48.4ppg
Scoring defense: #31 21.3ppg

Reactions: rutgersguy1
As with Drew Mehringer, won’t part of the issue with Sean Gleeson be do we have players suited to run his offense?

Get ready for a new fast no-huddle offense for Rutgers football

SpreadOffense.com's Mark Colyer talks offense, Rutgers OC Sean Gleeson

Breaking down Sean Gleeson's offense at Oklahoma State

How will Gleeson's no-huddle, fast tempo offense affect the offensive line?

Breaking down the NUB TE in Sean Gleeson's previous offenses

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
Are you the guy who screams at the kids, "Get off my lawn"?
No, I'm the guy who pointed out WHY you got no responses right away. It has been discussed here. Did you not see it the first time? If I went to those threads, would I find responses by you?

As with Drew Mehringer, won’t part of the issue with Sean Gleeson be do we have players suited to run his offense?

That wasn’t a DM/SG/offensive coordinator problem.
That was an Ash/HC problem.

Any drastic change in offensive philosophy is going to take a couple YEARS.
It’s not an immediate - flip of the switch - thing.
Takes time to turn over the roster, install plays, improve conditioning of the players.

Ash (and most of the fanbase) panicked after 2016 and turned to an awful, low scoring, ball control, slow offensive system that got worse and worse each year.
Remember all the "We don't have time to develop a new offense. We need to win now! Ash won't be able to recruit unless we go back to the Pro-Style and win!"
How did that work out?

I trust Schiano to not panic after one year and give the no-huddle, up-tempo offense the time it needs.
Most likely, the 2020 offense isn't going to very good.
Everyone needs to realize this and accept it.

When HC Babers took over Syracuse in 2016, he said it would take 2 years to fully install his no-huddle, up-tempo system.
2016: 25.7ppg (#90)
2017: 27.4ppg (#75)
2018: 40.2ppg (#11)
2019: 28.3ppg (#69 - a "down" year with a new QB)

The success of any offensive system is determined by how well the fundamentals of said system are taught, mastered, and executed. That has been one of the major problems with RU's offenses over the last several years. I think that will change with this staff.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
Personally, I would love to see us run an offense like the Philadelphia Eagles under Doug Pederson.

He runs double TE packages.

If the defense stays in base, Ertz flexes out as a slot receiver matched up with a LB or S.

If the defense puts in a nickel, they try to run at him and play-action off that.

As for tempo, they seem to have a handful of plays that everyone can run at any moment. Hurry-up is primarily used to leverage a personnel mismatch, sustain momentum, or try to get Wentz in a rhythm (start of game or start of 3rd).

As for tempo, it’s the sudden change of speed that the Eagles want to weaponize, not necessarily speed itself. For example, they’ll often go hurry-up after a big play (3rd and long conversion). And they’ll typically run a misdirection play in these instances (think play-action, zone read, screen).

That’s because unlike Chip Kelly, Pederson understands the need to keep the defense fresh and or control pace to have the ball last to end a half or the game.

RU needs lineman who can block and WRs that catch the ball. Most offenses will work if that is in place. It remains to be seen.....

How fast can we get this is the million dollar question. Like the talent now in our WR Corp, but OL remains a big concern. We are not good at drive blocking or pass protecting.

My biggest concern is when does Sean get "The Haircut"???

rutgers-offensive-coordinator-drew-mehringer-7bd11979fc12c3fd.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT