ADVERTISEMENT

Any news on Souf and/or Bullock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dpgru

All Conference
Jan 17, 2015
We know Corey might leave but I don't think that announcement comes any time soon since he doesn't really have the option of the early draft evaluation. So, he will/can take his time. If we are to have any real opportunity to get any of the players, either grad transfers or regular recruits, that have been mentioned here and elsewhere we need to open up a spot or two. Most people think or expect one or both of these guys (Souf and Bullock) to leave but, quite frankly, I haven't heard or read that either is considering it. One would assume that if they want to leave they are best served by starting the process as soon as possible. I am not well connected so I am asking if anyone has any knowledge of their intentions. Unless someone leaves all this speculation on recruits or transfers is nothing but spitting in the wind.

I don't expect any transfer announcements to come for a bit. Most teams aren't done with their seasons yet - once we're a week or so into the tourney and 95% of the teams are starting to look toward the future, we'll probably start hearing about players around the league asking for their releases.

I am not running anyone out of town at all. I am just responding to the fact that myriad posts have been written about grad transfers and or new recruits for next year. We have no spots available unless someone leaves. I am simply asking who knows things I don't because I haven't seen anything about anyone, other than Corey and his announcement one way or the other is IMO not coming any time soon, leaving. So why are so many posts being written about potential additions to the roster?

I don't imagine either will be back. Plenty of time to watch it play out.

My favorite part of watching Souf play for this squad was just screaming SOOOUF. That's it. Clear the schollie. Lol

You would have to think the whole staff has a good idea already on sanders, bullock or so if. Show the numbers, tell them op to improve them, and if they are fine with that. It’s a conversation that can be done in half hour.

It’s not easy to push someone out the door given the answers to those three questions. If they are fine, these players most likely stay.

As a coach, you don’t build relationships over and year and then run players out of town and all of a sudden give them silent treatment. The coach has a right to tell them where they stand, and the player has a right to make a decision. Simple as that.

As a coach, you don’t build relationships over and year and then run players out of town and all of a sudden give them silent treatment. The coach has a right to tell them where they stand, and the player has a right to make a decision. Simple as that.

I mean I'm not too concerned with burning a bridge for wherever souf came from, I don't think the next tony parker is coming to rutgers

I don't expect any transfer announcements to come for a bit. Most teams aren't done with their seasons yet - once we're a week or so into the tourney and 95% of the teams are starting to look toward the future, we'll probably start hearing about players around the league asking for their releases.
This. Even though our season has been over for days, plenty of teams have yet to even start their postseasons.

I wouldn’t expect any news until April.

I need some help here understanding the argument that we won't here about any transfers until everyone is finished playing. As I see it, if Souf or Bullock are thinking of transferring, actually any one thinking of moving, it would be in their best interest to announce as early as possible. A guy transferring from RU is probably going to land in a mid or lower level school. Most of them are done. By announcing early they give a coach at one of those schools a chance to contact Coach P and see if there is any interest. There have already been many posts about grad transfers who have announced they are leaving so why must their announcement be tied to when other schools finish playing? As long as their team is done why shouldn't they start the process.

I need some help here understanding the argument that we won't here about any transfers until everyone is finished playing. As I see it, if Souf or Bullock are thinking of transferring, actually any one thinking of moving, it would be in their best interest to announce as early as possible. A guy transferring from RU is probably going to land in a mid or lower level school. Most of them are done. By announcing early they give a coach at one of those schools a chance to contact Coach P and see if there is any interest. There have already been many posts about grad transfers who have announced they are leaving so why must their announcement be tied to when other schools finish playing? As long as their team is done why shouldn't they start the process.

Non-Big Ten Div-1 teams are mostly focused on their conference tournaments. Div-2 teams start their NCAA tournament this week, and Div-3 teams are just finishing theirs.

I'd imagine the day you announce your transfer is the day you'd garner the most attention... and doing it right now is both a) announcing amidst the noise of all kinds of other basketball stories/news and b) not at a time when teams' focus has shifted away from live games to roster management.

There's really no rush at this point for any players to announce anything.

I mean I'm not too concerned with burning a bridge for wherever souf came from, I don't think the next tony parker is coming to rutgers
Based on your comments about Souf n Bullock you should change your name to “ RepeatedCLown”. You don’t recruit kids then push them out the door if they don’t work out as planned. You tell them your plans for them re their playing time and HELP THEM make the best decision for themselves not the best decision for the coach or the team. If you push them out lots of luck recruiting once word gets out how you operate.

Reactions: 1coastalknight
Lets be realistic, Souf has one year left and if he transferred to D1 he would need to sit out a year. So he would be two year scholarship for one year of play. Even a one year investment is not likely. If he transfers down, not sure what market will be. Doubt he is gone as he doesn't have many options. Bullock could probably be a tough D2 player but same issue as not being very marketable to another D1.

Pikiell is recruiting most likely for Corey's slot and Doorson who he has control over as he has 4 years in. Also having Euro Passport Doorson can play overseas at some level as he would not be import.

Reactions: Rutgers25
Lets be realistic, Souf has one year left and if he transferred to D1 he would need to sit out a year. So he would be two year scholarship for one year of play. Even a one year investment is not likely. If he transfers down, not sure what market will be. Doubt he is gone as he doesn't have many options. Bullock could probably be a tough D2 player but same issue as not being very marketable to another D1.
Pikiell is recruiting most likely for Corey's slot and Doorson who he has control over as he has 4 years in. Also having Euro Passport Doorson can play overseas at some level as he would not be import.

Makes sense. Thanx

i agree here, as crazy as what i'm about to say sounds, I truly don't think there's many d2 programs out there that would even want souf. He's that bad. Unfortunately I think we're stuck with him

Reactions: RU_DIO
Based on your comments about Souf n Bullock you should change your name to “ RepeatedCLown”. You don’t recruit kids then push them out the door if they don’t work out as planned. You tell them your plans for them re their playing time and HELP THEM make the best decision for themselves not the best decision for the coach or the team. If you push them out lots of luck recruiting once word gets out how you operate.

Actually,

Lots of teams push kids out. Way it is at a lot of programs. D1 Sports are a big business. Unfortunately, Rutgers has run it's sports programs like a towns REC League playing daddy ball. Looks like we finally have the right AD and right basketball coach in place. Hopefully Pike can find good homes for these players and bring in some B1G talent with their schoolies.

Or you can stop being so sensitive and really the dude is not a D-1 player, obviously you cant pull souf's ship (Bullock maybe bc he hasnt gotten in shape in 2 years) and is there really a difference between saying "run him out of town" and "help him make the best decision for him" you are just saying it in a politically correct way

Reactions: RU_DIO
So how does a coach go about that and maintain a reputation as a good person?

It doesn't make Pike a bad person, every coach at every level runs kids off the program if they are not good enough. In HS at these catholic schools, if the kid can't cut it, he will either be playing JV or not on the team. They don't care. So why should Pike have to. Stop handing out participation trophies to every player and stop babying the program. Kentucky would run a kid out in an instant if it meant getting an a player in that spot that can contribute.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
i agree here, as crazy as what i'm about to say sounds, I truly don't think there's many d2 programs out there that would even want souf. He's that bad. Unfortunately I think we're stuck with him

I agree, he is a D3 player at least offensively. Are only hope is that they have an inflated opinion of where they could go.

maybe not burning bridge where he came from, but you dont want the stink of recruiting over or running people out of a program. unless you're duke

It doesn't make Pike a bad person, every coach at every level runs kids off the program if they are not good enough. In HS at these catholic schools, if the kid can't cut it, he will either be playing JV or not on the team. They don't care. So why should Pike have to. Stop handing out participation trophies to every player and stop babying the program. Kentucky would run a kid out in an instant if it meant getting an a player in that spot that can contribute.
They offered souf a scholarship to begin with. It’s not as easy as you say. It’s not his fault.

maybe not burning bridge where he came from, but you dont want the stink of recruiting over or running people out of a program. unless you're duke

Yea you are right, when you give someone a scholarship you expect them to be able to help you.

In the real world if you hire someone and they can't cut it, do you fire them or just let them continue to under produce?

Pike missed on a "hire" it happens but, in the real world you wouldn't pay someone 30k to do nothing, in college you shouldn't give away a schollie to have them do nothing.

I totally understand that, so they have the ability to give him something and not take it away?
Well see what happens. Does he have to wait a year again to play? Then I don’t see it happening.or another team picking him up.

Matt might feel going to a lower level will be better for him, playing time wise.
But wouldn't be surprised if he decided that being in better condition would get him playing time ( not just garbage minutes) next year if he went on a S/C program to get in better shape
and he returned.

Unless Soufiane has an idea that the European pro game is in his future, I see him returning to RU for his degree and then check out pro chances here ( NBA development league) or overseas.

But both cases are a your guess is as good as mine about their future as RUMBB players.

I don't understand why MB is at his current weight. That weight has to come off in order for him to have a spot on the team next year, IMO.

Pike biffed on Souf, big time. That's his fault.

If Sanders doesn't go, I think Pike has to figure out how to clear room for 1 more spot.

Reactions: jrh51
Matt might feel going to a lower level will be better for him, playing time wise.
But wouldn't be surprised if he decided that being in better condition would get him playing time ( not just garbage minutes) next year if he went on a S/C program to get in better shape
and he returned.

Unless Soufiane has an idea that the European pro game is in his future, I see him returning to RU for his degree and then check out pro chances here ( NBA development league) or overseas.

But both cases are a your guess is as good as mine about their future as RUMBB players.

I just thew up in my mouth, you said Souf and NBA G League in the same sentence. Kadeem Jack is in that league, kadeem jack could run laps around souf with one hand behind his back. Please stop

and he returned.

Bullock is a joke. Unless he has a medical issue he should be kicked off the team for being fat and out of shape. Two years in the program and his physical condition is an insult to the program.

Reactions: runner3283
Souf is a unique case because high-majors just don't take on guys like him. If he were at an America East school then he'd be back because he'd at least be passable in that league. But he had no other D1 interest at all from what I can tell and wound up at a B1G school.

So there's no precedent for a guy like him leaving, because there's no precedent for a guy like him being on a power-conference roster to begin with.

By all accounts he's a great teammate and obviously hustles so I'm sure Pikiell will be happy to sell him to coaches at a lower level. At the same I can't say I'd be shocked if he came back since JUCO guys transferring is very rare.

Reactions: RepeatedCrown6
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT