ADVERTISEMENT

"Are More New Jersey Colleges Doomed to Collapse?"

Yes. They're in the same bucket as NJCU and Bloomfield. Not sure their financials are as bad as of now.
Here's a recent bond rating on WPU. They're "stable" for the moment, but clearly there are issues. BBB+ isn't a great rating as compared to Rutgers' AA-. https://www.fitchratings.com/resear...sity-nj-revs-at-bbb-outlook-stable-06-02-2023

I don' t understand why WPU has "sizable pension obligations." The faculty is covered by the Alternate Benefit Program. https://www.nj.gov/treasury/pensions/documents/factsheets/fact38.pdf and the staff by PERS. https://www.wpunj.edu/human-resources/total-rewards/benefits/retirement-mandatory-benefits

BTW, I didn't know that Bloomfield has merged with Montclair. https://www.nj.com/education/2024/0...grams-after-merging-with-montclair-state.html

Last edited:
Remember that William Paterson is public,so it has a different set of issues from the other schools on your troubled watchlist.
Yes. They're in the same bucket as NJCU and Bloomfield. Not sure their financials are as bad as of now.

I live right down the street from Bill on the Hill. Beginning in the mid-to-late 90's they decided to change their profile from a commuter school known for being a teacher's college and for an outstanding music program to a regular run-of-the-mill "we're gonna make money" college/university. To that end they went on a building spree, putting up lots and lots of dorms. And, surprise, surprise, their tuition skyrocketed compared to what it used to be. Last I saw they were comparable to Rutgers on a course hour basis.

• Wow
Reactions: Leonard23
I live right down the street from Bill on the Hill. Beginning in the mid-to-late 90's they decided to change their profile from a commuter school known for being a teacher's college and for an outstanding music program to a regular run-of-the-mill "we're gonna make money" college/university. To that end they went on a building spree, putting up lots and lots of dorms. And, surprise, surprise, their tuition skyrocketed compared to what it used to be. Last I saw they were comparable to Rutgers on a course hour basis.
Rowan has been doing the same thing and has roughly the same tuition. Perhaps Rowan has executed the strategy better. Rowan has, for instance, the only four-year engineering program in South Jersey.

Rowan has been doing the same thing and has roughly the same tuition. Perhaps Rowan has executed the strategy better. Rowan has, for instance, the only four-year engineering program in South Jersey.

South Jersey? Is that based on a North/South orientation or a North/Central/South orientation?

Rowan has been strategically growing for the last almost 2 decades now. They're within striking distance of passing Seton Hall in US News rankings. I'm all for a strong Rowan because it would potentially alleviate a lot of NJ brain drain for the NJ kids who don't get into RU-NB.

Any word on Stockton? I feel like they're just a Public Monmouth. Only selling point is going to college 10 minutes from AC because academically they stink compared to Rowan and the colleges in and around Philly.

Rowan has been strategically growing for the last almost 2 decades now. They're within striking distance of passing Seton Hall in US News rankings. I'm all for a strong Rowan because it would potentially alleviate a lot of NJ brain drain for the NJ kids who don't get into RU-NB.

Any word on Stockton? I feel like they're just a Public Monmouth. Only selling point is going to college 10 minutes from AC because academically they stink compared to Rowan and the colleges in and around Philly.
Rutgers, and particularly Rutgers-Camden, are much more Rowan's competition than Seton Hall. Rutgers-Camden is rated higher, but Rowan has the advantages of having lower tuition, an engineering program, a teacher education program (Camden has a tiny one) and perhaps most importantly, an administration that cares about making it better. Perhaps it's no surprise that Rowan's first-year class is essentially equal to Rutgers-Camden's in test scores and GPA. https://www.collegesimply.com/colleges/compare/rowan-university-vs-rutgers-university-camden

Reactions: bigmatt718
Rutgers, and particularly Rutgers-Camden, are much more Rowan's competition than Seton Hall. Rutgers-Camden is rated higher, but Rowan has the advantages of having lower tuition, an engineering program, a teacher education program (Camden has a tiny one) and perhaps most importantly, an administration that cares about making it better. Perhaps it's no surprise that Rowan's first-year class is essentially equal to Rutgers-Camden's in test scores and GPA. https://www.collegesimply.com/colleges/compare/rowan-university-vs-rutgers-university-camden
I'm in agreement with you that if I had to choose between Rowan and RU-Camden, I'd choose Rowan. Rowan has been very ambitious to where they're basically the de facto University of South Jersey now.

I'm in agreement with you that if I had to choose between Rowan and RU-Camden, I'd choose Rowan. Rowan has been very ambitious to where they're basically the de facto University of South Jersey now.
The current chancellor at Rutgers-Camden is, by all accounts, not very good. The last time Camden had an ambitious chancellor, Wendell Pritchett, he left after Barchi turned down every request to make the place better. To the central administration, the Camden campus is nothing more than a way to demonstrate "concern" for Camden. Pritchett went back to Penn, served as its acting President and has a chair there; it was extraordinary for Rutgers-Camden to have attracted someone of his caliber. But Rutgers gonna be Rutgers.

They got the 100 Million donation from Henry Rowan nearly 30 years ago to jump start the process

Reactions: bigmatt718
They got the 100 Million donation from Henry Rowan nearly 30 years ago to jump start the process
Yes, and of course Rutgers didn't respond. Like I say, Rutgers gonna Rutgers. Maybe it would have been better if Rowan had been allowed to take over Rutgers-Camden -- at least there would be leadership that wanted to improve the place.

Apparently Dick McCormick is becoming the President of Stony Brook as of August 1st.
He will only be the interim President while they do a national search. Of course, who knows how that will end up.

BTW, Stony Brook is apparently more selective than Rutgers, and its first year class has better numerical credentials. https://www.collegesimply.com/colle...rsity-new-brunswick-vs-stony-brook-university

Edit: McCormick will turn 77 the day after Christmas. IMHO, only a damn fool would want to be a university president at that age.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fat Koko
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT